• Published 15th Apr 2013
  • 10,292 Views, 478 Comments

All That Glitters... - Comet Burst

  • ...
33
 478
 10,292

Act 1, Chapter 5

Filthy stood in the doorway as he watched his daughter sleep. His heart seemed to ache as his little princess gave a small sigh and nuzzled her plush dragon. She looked serene and surreal, like he was watching her from outside a glass wall. It warmed his chest to see his daughter so happy, but it also hurt to know he wouldn't see her until the evening later that day. The light brown stallion smiled at his little princess and slowly closed the door, making sure not to make any noise. As the door shut, Filthy sighed heavily to himself.

"Sir, I can rearrange your appointments today, if you wish." a voice spoke softly to him. Filthy looked behind himself to see Nit Pick standing at attention, holding a teacup in his hoof. Filthy said nothing as he took the teacup and sipped it slowly, Nit eyeing his every move. The tea was strong and full of caffeine, Filthy's best friend, but the dark cloud in his mind refused to go away. He thought about what he had heard at work, where the mare's own daughter asked who she was, and about his talk yesterday with Nit about his relationship with Diamond.

"What do I have scheduled for today?" Filthy asked dejectedly.

"With a word, it can be nothing," his loyal butler replied.

Filthy gave a small laugh at that, closing his eyes and feeling slightly better. Still, he didn't even know what was planned for him today.

"Who must I see today, Nit?" he plied in a happier tone.

Without missing a beat, a list appeared behind the butler's back and he brought it around. The white pony cleared his throat and began.

"At nine o'clock, you have a meeting with the Flim Flam Brothers who say they have an invention you would be interested in. After that, your presence will be required at the corporate office for a board meeting about a new store location in Appleloosa. Once you are finished there, you will not be required anywhere until three o'clock, which you have been asked to join Hoity Toity's and decide on the most recent clothing line he wants you to sell."

Filthy grimaced as he heard the list and sipped his tea. There was no guarantee the board meeting would end before three o'clock, especially if he was to inspect a new gadget that these Flim Flam brothers wanted him to buy. He supposed that was why the board meeting didn't have an official start time, because he would have to inspect the device for flaws and test it before giving an answer.

Yet again, another day of running a company.


Diamond sat in class, bored out of her mind. It had only been an hour since she had arrived under the careful supervision of Nanny, but now she wished she was at home. It wasn't that Ms. Cheerilee was a bad teacher, but Diamond's thoughts were elsewhere, particularly on a young purple dragon. The replay of yesterday ran through her mind, from the incident that was their first meeting where she tackled him off a bridge, to the look of happiness on his face as he chomped down of a crystal fruit.

She sighed happily as she remembered the whole day. So many pleasant memories flitted through her subconscious that she failed to notice Ms. Cheerilee passing out a test on the subject they were going over.

"Diamond?" her voice faintly spoke over Diamond's revery.

It took the pink filly a few seconds to realize there was a cranberry mare with a bubblegum pink mane staring at her.

"Uh, wha?" Diamond asked in a dazed tone. Instead of getting an answer, the sound of other fillys and colts laughter filled the room behind her. The laughter cut her to her core, making her realize what a fool she must have looked like.

"Wha's the matter, Diamond?" came a particularly irritating voice from her right, "Ya can't even hear now?" Diamond felt her cheeks redden as the laughter grew around her. As a snarl crossed the pink filly's face, Ms. Cheerilee turned to the source of the voice.

"Applebloom!" she said in an exasperated tone as the voice started laughing too.

Without warning, Diamond turned her snarl to the pony to her right. The yellow filly was laughing at Diamond, her fluffy red mane and ribbon bouncing around. Her laughter sounded louder than all the others, mocking the pink filly with every breath.

"Be quiet, you stupid blank flank!" Diamond growled.

"Diamond!" Ms. Cheerilee gasped.

"You can't tell me wha' ta do, deaf pony!" AppleBloom responded, forgoing her laughter for an snarl as well.

"Applebloom!" Ms. Cheerilee repeated.

Diamond's snarl morphed into a smirk as she saw the annoying yellow pony get angry. "Yeah, I know only your parents can." she sneered.

At that, the whole classroom gasped and fell silent, giving Diamond her much needed moment of silence to let it sink in. Her statement had the desired effect as she watched Applebloom's face soften in shock before hardening again.

"Diamond!" Ms. Cheerilee gasped, completely blown away by what the pink filly had said.

"Well, at least mah family wants ta be around me!" Applebloom almost shouted in response, the hurt evident in her voice.

Now it was Diamond's turn to let words cut her. It felt like a bucket of icy water washed over her as she registered those words.

"Apple-!" Ms. Cheeilee tried to say before Diamond cut her off.

"At least I see my father every day!" Diamond shouted.

Applebloom gasped at that and Diamond grinned darkly. She could see how much that hurt her and pressed more salt into the wound.

"And even though they're away, my parents come home to see me more than yours."

"Hey!" came a new voice. A white unicorn filly poked her head around the desks to see Diamond and Applebloom. She had a striped purple and pink mane, accented by emerald green eyes. Diamond knew that pony, Sweetie Belle, Applebloom's annoying friend.

"That was uncalled for!" she shouted, trying to stop her from attacking AppleBloom more. The yellow filly already had tears forming on the sides of her blazing orange eyes, but unknown to Sweetie Belle, Diamond grinned more.

"Aw, you have to get another pony to fight for you?" she mocked in her sarcastic sweet tone, "That's funny, because I don't need anypony to-"

"Enough!" Ms. Cheerilee shouted.

The room fell into a deadly silence as all eyes turned from the bickering fillies to the cranberry mare. Her face was fixed into a scowl as she glared at Diamond Tiara.

"Diamond, go sit in the corner," she said with a deadly serious tone, "Now."

"But Ms. Cheerilee!" Diamond protested, "Applebloom-"

"Now, Diamond!" Ms. Cheerilee shouted.

"But-"

"I said now!"

"Ms. Cheerilee!" came another voice, one Diamond recognized to be Silver Spoon, "Applebloom did start it!"

"Silver!" Ms. Cheerilee nearly yelled in response, "Stay out of this or you can join her!"

After that, Silver didn't protest anymore and Diamond sat there, staring at the mare. She didn't know what to feel as she tried to comprehend how she had gotten in trouble and not the annoying blank flank who was sniffling now. Ms. Cheerilee was right there, and yet it was Diamond who got in trouble.

She ALWAYS got in trouble.

Diamond's shocked expression quickly turned into a scowl as she pushed back from her desk angrily. Setting herself onto her hooves, she stomped past Ms. Cheerilee and muttered, "She's not in trouble 'cause you like her brother."

Ms. Cheerilee gasped at that and spun to face her. Her expression was unreadable, but clearly angry. Her face was scrunched up like she had smelled something nasty, but before she could say anything, Diamond planted her rump on the stool in the corner and pouted. Deciding she would talk to her later about that, Ms. Cheerilee let the subject drop and returned to passing out the tests.


Diamond sat alone in the classroom with her hooves crossed and a pout still on her face. Ms. Cheerilee was busy wiping off the blackboard behind her desk, forcing the pink filly to wait on her. All the other students had gone home, including Applebloom. Diamond grit her teeth as she watched the cranberry mare finish wiping away the chalk and set down the eraser before turning to her.

The two remained silent for a few seconds, eyes locked the whole time, before Ms. Cheerilee spoke up.

"Diamond, do you know why you are here?"

The pink filly rolled her eyes and looked away, annoyed by the stupid question.

"I'm not here because I like this place," she remarked.

Cheerilee pressed a hoof to her forehead and stifled a tongue lashing she was about to give.

"Diamond, what you did today was unacceptable," Cheerilee said while removing the hoof, "You had no reason to say any of those things to Applebloom or me."

"Yeah, but she could say whatever she wants," Diamond bit back.

"No, she can't," Cheerilee asserted, "Applebloom has no immunity from misbehaving, just like you don't."

Diamond scoffed at that and replied, "Then why am I the only one here?"

Cheerilee ground her teeth together and said, "That's exactly why. You will not stop arguing."

"Because I'm right!" Diamond nearly shouted back to her teacher, "She went home without a note or a warning! I'm still here and getting lectured!"

"Be quiet, Diamond!" Cheerilee spoke over her. Both the pink filly and the cranberry mare scowled at each other before the teacher spoke.

"Just so you know, Applebloom did go home with a note she needs signed and returned. Don't jump to conclusions on matters beyond your level. I am the teacher and I will not tolerate this kind of behavior here."

"But you'll tolerate those blank flanks making you like her brother so---"

"QUIET!" Cheerilee shouted, face bright red, "I will not allow you to talk about that! Applebloom's brother and I have no relationship and you need to stop bringing that up or I will suspend you!"

Diamond smartly kept her mouth shut and looked away from the teacher, utterly frustrated. She knew better than what the mare was saying. Featherweight had gotten pictures of them together when she was head of the school newspaper, so the mare was trying to cover her tracks.

Cheerilee, for her part, breathed heavily and forced herself to calm down before continuing. Diamond was undeniably the most stubborn filly she had ever taught. The little pink pony knew how to push her buttons and make her lose her cool, a rare feat for any other pony.

"Diamond," Cheerilee began again when she felt somewhat calmer, "Is there something wrong at home you need to talk about?"

Diamond cringed at the question, but forced herself to remain silent. Like she was going to talk about her personal life to a mare who hated her.

Cheerilee slowly trotted over to Diamond's desk and looked down at the angry little pony, knowing something was bothering her.

"Diamond, you can talk to me. I want to be your friend."

"Then why did you punish me and not Applebloom?" Diamond snapped back.

"This isn't about you being punished," Cheerilee deflected, "I want to help you, Diamond. Is something wrong at home? It'll make you feel much better if you talk about it than if you hold it in."

"And why should I tell you anything? You're just a teacher whose stuck with me."

Cheerilee pursed her lips at that comment and decided not to press further. The cranberry mare turned around and walked over to the desk, where she retrieved a piece of paper.

"This is a letter you have to bring home," Cheerilee stated emotionlessly as she put it on the filly's desk, "Get it signed by a parent and bring it back tomorrow or I will contact them directly."

Diamond angrily shoved the letter into her saddlebags and continued to pout. "Can I go now?" she asked impatiently.

Cheerilee nodded and the pink filly stomped over to the door. Just before leaving, Cheerilee tried one last time to reason with her.

"Diamond, whatever is making you upset doesn't have to. I am here to talk if you need to."

Cheerilee grimaced as the door slammed shut with almost unreal force.


Filthy sighed as he read the letter from Diamond's teacher. The note was just what he needed to top off an unpleasant day at his job, making him feel even worse when he came home. He knew Diamond had a temperament issue, but he thought she had gotten it under control. The note apparently proved him wrong.

"How was she today, Nanny?" he asked in a hollow voice.

"Zhe waz quite upzet, Mazter Filthy," the sand colored mare spoke, "Zhe went into her room and refuzed to come out."

Filthy closed his eyes and breathed slowly. He knew she was already asleep as it was past her bedtime, so he couldn't speak with her directly unless he made her miserable as well. In the midst of his personal parenting crisis, he couldn't bear to do that.

"Did you talk to her about this?"

Nanny nodded and spoke quickly. "Yez, zir. Zhe zarted crying after twenty minutez and kept on for an hour and a half."

"And do you know the reason why?" Filthy asked, still eyeing the note.

"Zhe zayz another ztudent didn't get in trouble even though zhe ztarted the whole ordeal."

"Was this, by any chance, a filly named Applebloom?"

"Yez, zir."

Filthy closed his eyes and shook his head slowly. He didn't understand why his daughter hated that filly so much. As the tan stallion thought, he noticed what he thought was a pattern.

"Nanny, does Diamond get along with the maids here?" he inquired.

Nanny blinked a couple of times, stunned by the question, but fumbled with her answer. "Zhe, uh, iz not to my knowledge."

Filthy frowned and said, "Thank you, Nanny. You may go. Please send in Nit."

The sandy mare nodded her head and left quickly, replaced by a stunning white unicorn in a suit.

"You are in need of my presence, Filthy?" Nit Pick asked.

"Yes. Nit, does Diamond have an issue with other mares here?" Filthy asked a little too forcefully.

Nit Pick merely straightened up a bit more and replied, "She has gotten more aggressive with the maids here in recent months."

Filthy scowled to himself as he realized what was wrong. Diamond wasn't just angry in general, she had a much deeper problem.

"Do you have a hypothesis why, Nit?" Filthy asked, already knowing the answer.

Nit didn't hesitate to reply. "She has a problem with mares in a leadership role around her."

"Not just mares," Filthy said, turning away to look out a window at the streetlights of Ponyville, "But fillys as well."

Nit nodded. He was all too well aware of Diamond's loathing of other fillys, particularly those with mothers who were active in their lives. That was why she and Silver Spoon got along so well.

"She needs a mother," he stated plainly.


Inside a dark hotel room far away from Ponyville, a stunning ruby earth pony mare brushed her mane of white in the lit bathroom. She was a mess with her mane all disheveled and her fur in uneven patches, something she absolutely loathed. She always had to look her best at any time, including now.

"Hey sweetie," came the smooth voice of a stallion from the door, "Why don't you come back to bed for a little more fun?"

The mare smirked seductively and said, "That's all you want me for, isn't it?"

"Hey, you brought me back here," the stallion answered, causing the mare to laugh. She threw him a sultry look with her stunning light blue irises and battered her eyelashes.

"Okay, but only for a little bit," she spoke, "I have a business meeting early tomorrow."

"Don't you mean today, honeypot?"

The mare tilted her head slightly and laughed again. "Yeah, you're right. It is today."

An hour later, the mare lay silently in the bed, exhausted but feeling satisfied. The stallion snored loudly next to her, keeping her from falling asleep. Instead, the mare stared at her nightstand, tracing the lines of a picture she had etched into her mind. In it, a small pink filly with a purple and white streaked mane and tail smiled happily as she showed off her cutie mark.

"Who's that?" the stallion asked, startling the mare.

"Oh, it's my daughter," she replied nonchalantly as she put the photograph face down.

"Mmm, you never told me you went around the block before, Ms. Silky Rich."

"Don't worry about that," the mare said as she kissed the stallion, "That was the worst mistake I ever made."