• Published 6th Feb 2013
  • 587 Views, 0 Comments

The chronicles of Almanac - Darkskarr X



Things are have been quiet in ponyville for a while, but when a strange unicorn stumbles into town, events take a strange turn...

  • ...
 0
 587

A new mare in town

Google docs. version is here
A new mare in town
It was a quiet day in Ponyville, not much was going on. Fluttershy was at sugar cube corner with Pinkie pie, discussing what icing flavor Pinkie should put on her next batch of cupcakes. Applejack was at the market with Apple Bloom, trading this year’s crop of zap apples. Rainbow dash was, as usual, taking a nap on a cloud above Ponyville. Ditzy Doo was delivering the mornings mail, with her usual cross-eyed, happy look on her face. Meanwhile, at the library, Twilight Sparkle was busy studying away, this time’s topic: dental medicine for ponies. She was suffering from a toothache brought on by one too many apple pies from Applejacks birthday party yesterday. Spike popped his head around the corner and asked “Anything yet?”

Twilight gave out a sigh of exasperation and replied “no, not yet Spike,” Wincing on the pain that her tooth was giving her, “you just keep your focus on getting that mix ready.” Zekora had kindly given her a mix of herbs earlier in the day to deal with her toothache. Spike shouted from the kitchen “I don’t even know why you ate so many pies; it’s not like you to pig out.”

Twilight rolled her eyes and replied rather irritated “If it weren't for you egging me on in that contest, we probably wouldn’t be in this situation!”

“Yeah, sorry about that,” Spike conceded “I just didn't want you to be beaten by Fluttershy!” Spike chuckled, returning to the potion that was brewing in the kitchen.

“I still can’t believe she won!” Twilight laughed back “She must have been really hungry!” Recalling even the ever competitive Rainbow Dash and the birthday girl herself, Applejack, struggled to keep up with Fluttershy’s voracious appetite, Pinkie cheering her on. Twilight had bowed out of the contest shortly after Rarity, who thought the whole affair of a contest that’s meant to make you throw up, as she put it, was ‘A vulgar and revolting affair!

Twilight sat her head up from the book she was reading and closed the book in front of her. She trotted up to the bedroom upstairs and looked out of her bedroom window over Ponyville. The Roofs of the many houses in town stretched over the horizon and beyond. Sweet Apple Acres were in bloom, the beautiful pink petals blowing in the gentle morning breeze. While Twilight liked living in Ponyville, she couldn't help but think it could get a little dull sometimes. She just wished there would be a little more excitement from time to time. As she was thinking this, there was a knock at the door. Twilight went downstairs to answer it, to find Applejack standing there with a rather concerned look on her face.

“Hey Applejack,” Twilight asked, noting the concerned look on her friend’s face “What’s got you looking so worried?”

“Twilight, ya gotta come quickly,” Applejack replied rather panicked “Me and little Apple Bloom were returnin’ home from market, when we saw a mare comin’ up the road, and she don’t look so good at all!”

“Calm, down Applejack!” Twilight replied, her face now sharing the same look of worry “How bad is it?”

Applejack looked for the right words to describe the state of the mare she had seen limping down the road, alas she couldn't find them, eventually replying “I think you best come see for yourself Twilight, it’s not something ah’ can describe easily” Twilight banished the thought of her toothache and shouted back to Spike “I’m going somewhere with Applejack for a while Spike, I’ll be back soon!” and rushed out the door.

“But what about you’re...” Spike replied as he looked over to the libraries door “Toothache.” He finished and gave out a heavy sigh, returning to the potion that was brewing in the kitchen. ‘Honestly,’ Spike thought ‘Sometimes I don’t know what that pony is thinking,’

As Twilight and Applejack rushed to the center of town, they took note of all the ponies around them looking on with concerned faces at the dark blue unicorn that was limping into town, even Pinkie Pie, whose normal cheerful demeanour was replaced with a look of worry. Twilight and Applejack edged through the crowd to get a look at the poor mare themselves “Oh my...” Twilight murmured with a gasp, as she looked on at the unicorn in front of her.

She looked like she hadn't eaten or slept for a week. The Hooves of the unicorn were shattered and splintered from continuous walking. Even though her face was covered with the fringe of her short, deep sea blue and cyan tipped mane, it was clear she was in pain, as tears were streaming down her face from her covered eyes. She had several cut marks on her right foreleg, and she was burdening a heavy saddle pack laden with books and instruments of unknown purpose. The worst sight of all was the unicorn’s horn, which was cracked and had pink, luminescent ooze dripping down from it. It was an unpleasant site to say the least. Twilight thought to herself ‘what in Celestia’s name could have done this to her?!’ as everypony looked on at the poor, devastated mare that walked between them.

All of a sudden the unicorn stopped, looked up, revealing her glistening silver eyes, and whispered “Any pony got something to eat...” before collapsing in the middle of the road. All the ponies around let out a loud gasp, and Fluttershy, who had been standing with Pinkie at the time, burst into tears of her own on Pinkie’s shoulder, who was patting her distraught friend on the back to comfort her. Applejack and Twilight rushed over the unconscious mare and lifted her onto their backs “We need to take her to the hospital, now!” Twilight yelled frantically, using her magic to make the unconscious unicorn easier to lift. Applejack nodded to her friend, and they both rushed off, the blue unicorn in tow, to Ponyville General Hospital...

Author's Note:

Author's Note: Firstly, I would like to say that this i the first fanfic i have ever written, so please be nice! Also, I will be Submitting a new chapter of this story every Wednesday as often as possible, and with that, thank you for reading and enjoy!