• Published 26th Apr 2013
  • 369 Views, 3 Comments

Project Hope - Rarity Belle



Send on a quest to discover new lands in and beyond Equestria, six friends make new enemies and friends while old foes are willing to have their revenge on them.

  • ...
3
 3
 369

Chapter 1: Lurking in the Light

Love... A powerful bound... Yet, so easy to be blinded by it...

~RarityBell

After a long trip through forests, mountain chains, cliffs and a trip through the sky, the six friends finally reached a place unknown; a desert. “Twilight, what is this place called?”, asked Rainbow curious.

“I... I... I don’t know Rainbow. It is not known on any of my maps.” said Twilight who looked at a couple different maps at the same time.

“Then we are truly in the unknown.” said Rarity.

“Rarity, you might be right on this one.” replied Applejack.

“Do we, uhm, have, to cross it? No way, around it?” asked Fluttershy.

Pinkie just giggled and went straight in, “Are you all coming?” They didn’t had a choice, and thus they followed Pinkie in the desert. Not knowing what lies ahead of them. All they saw, was sand, rock and the almost killing heat of the sun.

“Ugh! Can’t you walk any faster?” said Rainbow annoyed from the sky.

“Well I am sorry Rainbow, but we don’t have wings!” said Applejack annoyed with her face all covered in sweat.

“Easy you two... fighting won’t help us here. How long have we been here, in the first place?” said Twilight who was sweating all over her body.

“A couple hours, much less it won’t be.” said Rarity. They all wandered through the desert for at least a way not seeing anything. Eventually the killing heat of the day was replaced by the chilling cold of the night. Everypony helped to set the the tent big enough for all six of them.

“And I thought deserts were supposed to be hot, but this, this is just plain strange here.” said Applejack who was almost freezing.

“Deserts are hot in the day yes, but the more the night advances, the heat gets lost and is replaced by this coldness.” explained Twilight as she made a small fire outside.

“And just how are we supposed to find any life in here?” asked Rainbow who took place by the igniting fire.

“I wish I knew Rainbow, I wish I knew.” said Twilight who ignited the fire. Everypony took place around the fire and Rarity had cooked some dinner.

“Now, it may not be as good as you normally get, but I did my best. With help of Fluttershy I must admit.” the white Unicorn said.

“Oh, uhm, it was nothing Rarity.” added Fluttershy. Rarity smiled at Fluttershy and she blushed a little.

Everypony looked at the delicious looking dinner the Pegasi and the Unicorn made. Everypony took a plate and filled it, they all eat as much as they could. It took them some time, but eventually, all their bellies were filled. “That, was, delicious.” said Applejack after which she burped a little. “Sorry for that”, and she let a soft giggle go.

“I have to agree with Applejack here, you two are great cooks.” said Twilight with a smile on her face.

A loud burp was heard. “What? I am sorry okay. I just couldn't hold it any more.” said Rainbow while looking at the others. Everypony stayed up for some time but then they all went to bed, in the warm tent, they all fall asleep almost instantly, deeply in their dreams, they thought of everything what would happen.

The next morning Twilight was the first to wake up and looked at her friends, still deeply asleep. She smiled at the sight of it and went outside to take some fresh air, but she got met by a neon green stallion with brown eyes and a dark brown mane. “Can I, help you with something?” she asked.

The stallion answered in a deep voice. “I am sorry miss if I disturbed your sleep, I was just curious, the name is Axel.” and he stook out his hoof to shake.

Twilight shook it and made her reply. “The name is Twilight Sparkle.”

“A pleasure to meet you miss Sparkle, might I ask though, what are you doing out here in Dustroll Desert, because you don’t look like you are from here.”

Twilight didn’t know what to say on that, but came up with something. “Me and my best friends are on a little vacation through the land, but might I ask you a question, where are you from?” she asked.

Axel smiled and said, “I am from the town Dustroll, the biggest and only town here, it is rough, but the ponies are nice, if you look passed the bar-fights that is... But you mentioned friends, is it possible to meet them? Sorry if I am getting too curious here, I am just interested.”

Twilight smiled. “I understand it Axel, I hope they are awake already.”

Soon everypony was up shaking hooves with Axel. Twilight introduced the gang.

“This is Rarity.”

“Good morning to you Mr. Axel.”

“This is Rainbow Dash.”

“You can call me: Fast.”

“Here’s Pinkie Pie.”

“Hiya!”

“I’m sure Fluttershy is in the tent: she’s not used to new ponies.”

Axel peeked inside the tent only to see Fluttershy wrapped in blankets shivering. “H-H-Hi there...”.
Applejack was last. “And finally, meet Applejack.”

Axel stood in place, staring at Applejack. “Howdy!” Applejack placed her hoof out for a shake. “Axel is it? Uh... you ok fella?”

Axel snapped out of it and slowly shook hooves with Applejack. “Oh, excuse me. The pleasure is mine.”

“Say um Axel? You say there’s a town ‘round these parts?” Now it’s Applejack’s turn to be curious. “Why yes Miss Applejack! Shall I guide you there?”

Twilight packed the supplies and rushed to join the rest of the gang as they took off for Dustroll Town. They arrived within a hour or so. “Welcome to my home!” Axel was proud of his old and dusty village. It reminded Applejack of Braeburn’s home, so she got used to it quickly.

“Any saloon ‘round here? I’m parched!” Applejack was thirsty from the heat.

“Applejack! We are going to sign into a motel. If you’re that thirsty, Axel can show you the way. When you’re done come find us at our rooms.” With that, Twilight was off with the others following her.

“Alrighty then Axel, show me the way!”

“Perfect! Just follow me...”

It wasn’t the cleanest bar around, but Axel assured Applejack that they serve the best cider in the town. “Hey Drew! I’ll have the usual and one cider for the Miss here.” Drew the bartender served the drinks with blinding speed. Applejack hesitated to drink the green beverage, but after a quick sip she took a liking to it. Just then, a strongly-built stallion sat right next to Applejack. “I’ll have what she ordered.” Applejack blushed and looked away. This made Axel irritated. “Ralof? Ralof what are YOU doing here?”

Ralof was gray with a jet-black mane and had deep blue eyes. “What? Can’t I get some quality time to know some strangers?” Ralof glared at Axel but then turned to Applejack. “So, what’s your name missy? I never seen the likes of you around here.”

“Heh, name’s Applejack hun. Remember it...”

“It goes without saying.”

Now Axel was furious. “Excuse me Applejack...but I’ll be back...” Axel left the bar muttering harsh words under his breath.

“Ah forget him AJ, he’s always like that. But what I wanna know is what you’re like...” These were the last words Axel heard Ralof say before he stepped out the bar doors.

“Hey Axel! Oh, why do you look so frustrated?” Twilight came to get Applejack but ran into Axel instead.

“I-It’s nothing... Applejack’s in there if you need her...” Axel stormed off leaving Twilight in the dust. Twilight looked a little confused at him and let Axel be, she went inside and looked for Applejack.

“Applejack, we got a room it is right across the street, we will be there if you need us” she said, but Applejack, had more eyes for Ralof.

“It is fine Twi, I will come soon.”

Twilight looked at Ralof and she saw, something, something horrible. She turned around and left, hoping to find Axel soon enough. “Applejack, allow me to introduce myself properly, the name is Ralof. There is something I want to show you, but it is out of town, my home, a landhouse. And I want you to come with me.” said Ralof with a somewhat evil smile on his face, but Applejack didn't notice it, she was blinded, blinded by the love.

“Hehe, I would love to see it.” said Applejack with heart pretty much in her eyes.

“There we go, Drew, one more round!” said Ralof. Drew looked at the both of them and sighed, but they didn't hear it and he gave them their drinks. After a couple drinks Applejack wasn't really her sober self anymore and Ralof took her to his landhouse. “Drew, I will see you soon again, I owe you this” said Ralof as he paid and left with Applejack half asleep on his back.

“Axel! Axel! Oh come on... Where are you...” said Twilight as she ran around town and then, she found him, entering the hotel where they stayed. “Axel!”

Axel looked up and saw Twilight. “Evening miss Sparkle.” he said.

Twilight galloped towards him and stopped just before him and spoke under her heavy breathing. “Ralof...isn’t...the...most...cleanest...is...he?”

Axel sighed and shook his head. “No, he’s not, but as long as she... Oh no... Ralof!” Before Twilight could say anything, a sandstorm came setting in, both of them went inside and Axel asked to everypony the same question, did Ralof left the bar with a mare? All of them, nodded. “If I get him in my hooves, I shall... I shall... I need to find them, miss Sparkle, stay here, I will make sure she comes back.” he said while covering his mouth with a bandanna and went outside, in the most violent storm so far. Twilight went up to her room and asked the rest of her friends to come as well. She explained all she knew and heard. The others were shocked.

“I am not going to fly through that, not in my life Twilight.” said Rainbow before Twilight could finish.

“Rainbow, we know nothing here, the best we can do, is wait and hope for the best.” Twilight said. Everypony signed deeply to that and hoped, hoped to see their friends back again.

Applejack slowly woke up, she couldn't move, she looked where she was, a cellar, a cider cellar to be exact, she looked at herself and saw she was tied up to a chair. She shook her head a couple times and saw a figure standing by a work bench, looking at some things hanging there. “What in tarnation is this supposed to mean? Who are you and what am I doing here?” she asked. But got no answer from the figure.

A light turned on and all is revealed. Applejack looks down and notices her legs are tied up and that she is laying in a dusty corner. Applejack noticed Ralof approaching her. “Oh thank the stars! Ralof, did you come to save me? And how’d I end up like this?” Applejack waited for an answer but all she got was a chuckle of disappointment.

“I took you here sweetheart. I’m the one who did this.”

“But why would you...?”

“See here lass, I don’t take a shine to newcomers ‘round here. You know what I do to trespassers?” Ralof is clearly angered. He picked a switchblade up with his mouth.

“R-Ralof! Please no! Twilight!? Rainbow!? Help!” Ralof was getting closer each second. “Rarity, Pinkie Pie? Fluttershy...?” Applejack was now crying with desperation.

Ralof was right over her head. He pulled back the blade and was ready to strike. “...AXEL!!!” Just then, the door to the cellar burst open.

“Ralof, move away from her, and nopony gets hurt. Do it now!” said Axel angry.

“Make me.” said Ralof with an evil smile. Applejack looked up and saw Axel. She couldn't believe it, he was here, for her.

“With pleasure Ralof.” said Axel as he stormed towards Ralof. With a swift motion, Axel bucked Ralof’s cheek sending him to the ground. “Now, come back up and fight like the stallion you are!” said Axel angry. Ralof got up and stormed towards the stallion. Axel jumped aside and Ralof ran into the wall.

“I have more then enough of you, you little pest!” said Ralof while he came out of the wall. Axel taunted Ralof a bit and he got furious, charging again, only to hit another wall. Now Ralof had more then enough of him, he walked up to Axel and gave him a smack in the face. And another one, and another one, he just kept beating the poor colt up. After a couple punches, Axel just laid on the ground, lifeless. Ralof turned back to Applejack. “Now, where were we missy.” he said while grabbed his blade again.

“Hey Ralof, think fast.” And before Ralof could do anything he was knocked out by Axel.

“Axel!? But, I, how?”, was all Applejack could say.

“ I've known him for a long time, he wasn't the smartest one in town. Strong yes, but smart, not at all. Stay still long enough and he thinks you’re dead.” said Axel while untying her. Applejack hugged him and started to kiss him. Axel was surprised by this, but kissed back.

“I love you Axel, I truly do...” said Applejack in a sweet voice. And with those words, Axel kissed Applejack deeply and she kissed just as deeply back. “We should head back.” said Axel who is now blushing. Applejack nodded and together they went back to Dustroll, they loved each other so much and they confessed their love for each other.

When they came back in Dustroll the others were waiting. They never were so happy to see Applejack again, they all hugged her and Applejack did her story. Everypony was surprised by it, that it all happened, they still couldn’t believe. “Hehe, and the best part... Me and Axel, are together now.”, said Applejack and started to kiss Axel again.

Everypony’s mouth fell open as they could almost hear the fireworks of love emitting from the new couple. After some time they broke the kiss and Twilight said, “You know we have to leave right? I mean, if you want to stay here it is fine. But we can’t stay here.”

Applejack’s ears went flat against her head, she was faced with the hardest choice of her life, her friends or her love. “Uhm, miss Sparkle, I can’t stay here either, if I stay and Ralof finds me, I am dead for sure. Might I, join your group?” asked Axel.

“I see no problem in it, is anypony against it?” said Twilight while looking at the others, nopony had a problem with it and a smile came to Applejack’s face and started to kiss Axel again, for a long time.

They packed their gear and went back out, leaving the town of Dustroll behind them, an experience richer, a friend richer, and a romance richer. They went onward, heading into the deep unknown parts of the lands.