• Published 30th Jan 2013
  • 1,026 Views, 6 Comments

Pride of the Pantheon - PurplePolymath



Celestia finds herself ill, poisoned due to a promise she couldn't keep, a secret she refuses to share. The cure to her condition is found within a living, breathing body that was left buried long ago, now brought beneath the sun's light

  • ...
4
 6
 1,026

II: Mourn With The Moon,Not For Her

It didn't take long for the girls to arrive at the busy and beautiful capital that was Canterlot, coming into view underneath the clouds as they passed over. Sadly there was no time for sightseeing, not when the castle could already be seen over the horizon. Still, no matter the situation, it was impossible not to take in all the majesty the castle offered upon arrival. It was ever breathtaking, regardless of the time, day or night.

The wind blowing feverishly between feathers, fur, and manes finally began to fade as the escorts and carriage began to descend, slowly at first. Though, as the castle came closer, the more it looked as if they would crash. Luna's guardians always seemed to blitz toward the earth, they'd thought it was for show, purely done as Luna herself proposed with entrance. The six would soon learn that wasn't the case.

The clouds darkened as their descent abruptly increased, the thunder roared as their bodies thrust, the recruit's wings going rampart as they rushed toward what seemed certain doom upon castle doors.

"Slow down, we're headed right for the gate!" shouted Twilight, her and her friends all latching onto one another, luggage huddled in the center. The strong winds stirring them with fear as lighting struck past them and shot toward what appeared to be the direction their drivers were darting toward. The girls screamed, shutting their eyes as they waited for the bloody end to come.

The carriage shook... and then there was silence all around, and something poking at their eyes. It felt as if were the same as sunlight, in fact... it was. As the lot opened their eyes, they were greeted with furrowed brows and eventually rolled eyes from their escorts as they stepped from the carriage with crimson cheeks, now looking toward the high and humbling double doors that towered above them.

Rainbow Dash scoffed. “I knew we’d be alright.” Brushing herself off, or rather the image she tried to make certain was never bruised.

“Uh-huh. Course ya did.” Applejack flatly replied, the sarcasm spilling off her southern accent.

She grabbed her saddlebag in teeth and headed toward the castle doors. The others did the same, only they kept their disbelief to themselves.

A new set of guards stood at both ends of these door, they of course were guardians of the sun, their pure white coats and golden armor shining proudly in the light of the setting sun. Standing with unwavering eyes, unyielding stature as they saluted. The stern guards looked to the group of mares that approached the doors. "We're here to see Princess Luna," said Twilight, trying her best to hide her worry as not to gain any suspicion from the guardians.

And of course the stallions before her knew of the sun's student, it would have been rather hard to gain their suspicion even if she tried. If she'd been thinking clearly, head without so much concern, she'd have known how unnecessary it was to address why she'd come if she was the one summoned to appear in the first place.

The duo bowed their heads and the enormous doors opened before the six. The herd entered the castle, stepping lively as their hooves met the familiar silk red carpet, its sides trimmed in gold, stretched out at the center of the doorway.

The carpet lead them to the royal throne, as it always had. The humbling throne stood in all its glory, giving as much as it received. Under the throne sat a small pristine pool, pouring pure water from Celestia knows where. Tall, eloquent windows lined the castle's interior, only the two closest to the throne stained, in this chamber at least.

One with the smiling sun showing its brilliance and underneath it the three cycles of day, morning, noon, and after were represented. It stood next to its opposite, this window stained with the moon and its gracious glow, giving its all to the world below, both surround by a spectrum of stars that showed how small both truly were in such a universe.

The translucent ceilings were held high with pillars, keeping such perfectly sculpted symmetry that stood as foundation throughout the entire castle. And last but not least the pure white walls were outfitted with flags from all over Equestria, every country that had come together in peace, it was quite the sight, no matter how many times the group had come. There were usually guards, one pair, and two princesses complementing the canopy, however, today there were none.

"Ah, finally thou hath arrived, Twilight Sparkle." Spoke the lunar equine in her ever formal mannerism. Standing in her tall stature, with her ever-flowing mane housing its own shifting set of stars and constellations, she gestured the friends to follow.

They bowed one by one, paying their respects to the princess before moving their hooves toward the halls.

Luna made certain to hide her own hurt, for you see, she’d just left her sister's royal chamber. And she didn't wish to give anypony, least of all Twilight Sparkle, anymore worry. "Guards," beckoned the princess. And with that the mares had their bags carried to their room, each guard taking one in teeth from the throne room floor, it took round trips to acquire all Rarity's luggage.

"Come, we shall show thee what we have found in regards to the remedy we spoke of.” Luna beckoned as she led them in majestic stride to her chamber door.

"Wait! ...What about the princess?" Twilight despondently cried, as she reached out a hoof, grasping at whatever hope her heart dare think to let go. Luna kept her back to her guest as she spoke, "Our dear sister does not wish for visitors, for obvious reason, least of all you... Twilight Sparkle.” The princess' head hung as such words came to an end... they sounded so cruel. She wish she could have simply lied to the poor mare, but anything less than the whole truth was unbecoming for one fit with crown. And seeing such a sight would only make her sister and her pupil worse.

It’s only natural that Twilight felt even worse, not only unable to help, but also unable to see her mentor only a few doors down. Out of concern, rather desperation to be blunt, she was tempted to teleport to her favored teacher, but Luna had already placed barriers should anypony try such a thing (particularly Twilight) to reach her ill sibling.

The librarian's friends saw her seemingly broken heart and wished they could do exactly what she'd just thought themselves, but even they knew such a thing wouldn't do them any good in the end. "Come on Twilight, the sooner we get the cure, the sooner you can see her highness right?" reasoned her cyan companion as she pat a sympathetic hoof against her friend's back.

And one by one the herd followed the mare of the moon across the hall and into her chambers.

Luna's chamber was just what you'd expect from a princess, aside from being extremely spacious. The color itself could be assumed as personal choice, the décor a Victorian Gothic. The room was outfit with marble floors as most of the castle was, only here it was a far darker color, and your own reflection on the spotless floor was a sign of cleanliness. To the ceiling above them, sat a glowing galaxy of stars, Luna loved how safe… how small the stars made her and her worries seem. The room kept only one couch and cushion, just her size, as well as an equally elegant chair that suit Luna the very same.

She kept a desk for parchments and other official documentations; all stationed neatly in rows and stacks, and some holding her seal and signature, others she outright declined. Her posh bed sat in the center of the room; it housed veils on each corner that mimicked curtains, each side showed a constellation, particularly a pattern of creatures. All the room was a darkened hue like her, except for the bed; it was black, onyx to be precise, frame and all. It was more than three times her size, and the size of the pillows upon it were no better.

In the farthest corner of the room sat a stand, outfit with cushion for her crown. It was true the large room didn't keep much, a few rugs, and of course shelves for many of her favorite books, along with royal records and tomes. Also a few shelves for games, although, Luna didn't do as much gaming as some ponies believed.

In another corner of her room sat a large curtain, and past that curtain lay a balcony, one with a captivating view of Canterlot, almost every inch of it could be seen, truthfully this was where Luna did the least of her thinking. This was where she came to find solace, to mount the moon amongst the shelf of the sky.

Out amongst the balcony stood vines entangling the edges of this structure, the vines held a flower that only bloom and glow during a full moon, unfortunately there was no such thing about, as the sun had only set not too long ago.

The mare of midnight shut the door behind her guest and locked it with a sound proof seal, her horn still encased in aura as she brought a scroll to the royal stand, and the girls gathered in a perfect circle as Luna unravel the parchment and showed them a map of something quite ancient.

After she was certain everypony had put an eye or two to the map she cleared her throat and began in her ever regal tone. "Here, Twilight Sparkle is where you and your companions shall find the cure." She proclaimed as she placed a hoof to the "X" on the map. It took Twilight all of ten seconds to memorize the map, regardless of its size. The group was unaware, but now they had two maps instead of one.

"In these ruins sits a marvel encased in its final fond memory, as the maps states.”

“Its power is foretold as a forlorn miracle and is the only cure our books have informed us of," the princess continued, until she was given a question. "And just where are these ruins located?" asked the student as she rubbed a pensive hoof against her chin, such a place looked anything but familiar.

"The location is far within the depths of Saddle-Arabia. It is known as the Rancorous Ruins, as the records have shown."

"W-why is it... c-called that?" questioned the now curious, quivering Fluttershy, as she'd finally spoke her first words since they'd arrived. She already didn't like the idea of going into some dangerous, dusty, decaying ruins. She honestly hoped the name would give her some insight, a peace of mind.

"We do not know." The princess shook her head, as she truly didn't. Twilight did, definition of the word alone was enough for the imagination. However she kept it to herself, knowing it would only cause Fluttershy more fear.

Luna herself was just glad that nopony asked the origin or creator of the map, that none took note of its familiar signature. She had expected one to recognize or take some notice of her sister's seal stamped at the edge, as she was the one who made the map after all.

Celestia was also the one who gave the ruins their name. But such details would only cause more concern, and luckily Luna was certain her sister would never venture anywhere too dangerous, or so she thought.

After all had been discussed, location and travel at the very least, Luna bid farewell and pleasant dreams to the small group as she removed the seal from the door and off to her balcony she went. It wasn't long before she leapt with an unspoken manner of grace into the night, her beautiful wings unfurled to carry her toward the blank blackened sky, to begin the rise of the moon.

As the chamber door opened, there awaited the two nocturnal guards that kept watch of Luna's domain, the two kindly escorted the girls from the chamber. The preparations had been set and the group would be leaving in the morning, after breakfast of course.

The lunar guards lead them to the guest chamber, it was almost as extravagant as the one they'd just left, there were only small, key touches missing here and there. Just as the previous chamber, this room's marble floors kept a copy of all who enter, with a lovely reflection for each.

"Oooooh!" came from the mare who mocked cotton candy, as she took notice of her double with eyes and smile as wide as her own, taking in the rest of what the palace offered its guest, her quick curiosity taking her here and there in a flash all about the room.

The room was roughly the same, just as large, but lacking any theme. The room was simply regal, fit for royalty just as well. The bed seemed to stretch for miles, it was as wide as a pond, and it was shrouded with translucent veils glistening in an inviting pattern.

Is this really ah' guest room? Thought Applejack as she made her way inside with the others. She removed her hat instinctively as she suddenly thought it rude to keep it on any longer within the castle. Her jaw had already dropped as she did her best to comprehend how anypony would need this much room to themselves.

"Woah...!" was all that came from the cyan pegasi, as she hovered inside the room.

She didn't notice the similar structure of the floor, being who she was her eyes had been more concerned with the ceiling as she was the only one to see her likeness tower toward what she almost believed the sky.

Pillars lined the edges of the room here just as they did Luna’s, the sisters truly were gracious and generous, as well as humbling to consider this a place for guest.

Rarity was still under the weight of the situation. She finally realized where she was once the lunar guards spoke in unison, “Enjoy your stay."

And as they took three steps backward and bowed, the immense door slowly shut before everyone's eyes. The fashion designer took note of every flattering detail, it was all so beautiful, so inspiring. She noticed the bowls of assorted fruits and wine, some fresh, others aged to perfection as they dressed the tables. One could easily hold a soiree in a room this size without worry of running out of room. She also took note of the lovely reflection underneath her as she primped her mane with a hoof until it was "proper" again.

She had never seen as much of the castle as she had this evening, let alone had the honor of such a room, it was absolutely astonishing! YES! The designer screamed in her delighted little head, as she was so thrilled she'd begun prancing in place. So many wonderful things came to mind, a royal sleepover with all her friends in one setting, what more could she ask for?

Though, all her gallop left her as she saw the others concerning themselves with their friend, apparently she'd been the last to realize that Twilight had taken bed before any other. Her worry worn for all to see, the rest of her friends already circled the bed, slowly entering the sheets one by one to rest beside the bookworm.

Rarity's ears tucked with a wince as she realized how absent minded she'd been, it was so unbecoming of her, with her friend being in such a state. She looked to the window and saw the placement of the moon, as it was now the only source of light in the large room, its massive light peering down upon them all.

By the time she'd realized her folly, the moon had silently fallen and it was half full, as it'd been so for almost a full week now, such a thing had become the norm around the time Celestia first showed signs of turning ill.

She looked to the order of her friends, Pinkie and Fluttershy had taken the spots closest to Twilight. They'd said the least the whole day through, they were at a loss for words really, although Pinkie made sure to keep her smile, even if it did soften at times. She swore to keep the smile as bright as the sun for one of her best friends. Fluttershy had done her best to shake any fear as she had silently given Twilight all the support she could. Her gentle wings engulfing, shielding the mare with her earnest feelings, all of which she was ready to shelter, rather, display when the time came... just as the others were.

Rarity took a regretful place amongst the sheets, and she truly was hard on herself, harsh even. She wondered if Twilight saw her earlier display… perhaps beginning to think less of her now, she thought impossible things that night, in her shame. She vowed to focus her attention fully to her friend until Celestia was cured, and she was going to keep it. With the worry slowly being force from her mind, she shut her eyes and eventually she'd succumb to sleep, like the others. Unknown to her and four others, one friend remained wide awake, she quickly teleported from the sheets with barely a sound.

She followed the same pattern as she made her escape from the room the same as she did the bed sheets. Twilight didn't wish to wait till morning, as something had crossed her mind when Luna informed them they'd be exploring ruins… that and her own worry.

The student knew the castle inside and out... most of it anyway. She began her venture evading the nocturnal guards, which took more effort than she expected, though her magic made the intended mission a little less difficult, but their coats blending in and complementing the night castle wasn't all that helpful to her. In a matter of minutes, there she stood, in front of the sun's chamber, so close to her corrosive sickness, possibly contagious... in the dead of night.