• Published 29th Jan 2013
  • 830 Views, 5 Comments

Fate Is Written - Bysen



Carrot Top and Written Script have been seen around Ponyville with Dinky Doo. But what ever happened to Derpy then? And how did Carrot Top became her mother?

  • ...
4
 5
 830

Tribunal

The next morning, he didn’t want to get up. He wanted to just rest in Carry’s hooves a while longer. But he couldn’t. It had only been three signatures for him, but there was still a lot of work needed to be gone and he was leaving today. Without, or with Dinky. They found Sparkle still at Derpy’s place, preparing breakfast for them. All four of them.

He told her his idea, and though she liked Carry, she was apprehensive. As you could imagine that didn’t help Carry out very much. But she came around when he asked “Do you trust her? Trust her with Dinky. She loves her and you must know it.” Sparkle couldn’t argue with that. She knew full well that Carry was already Dinky’s mother in her own way. She said she’d help but she couldn’t make any promises. Sparkle left quickly after breakfast to find the forms that would need to be filled to get the ball rolling.

Carry didn’t have much hope. They’d taken a child from her before, why would they give her one now? It had been so long… but from that all she drew was wondering if her son even remembered her anymore. Probably not. She barely remembered him, or tried to forget rather. And until lately, she’d done a good job at it. Now though, it was happening all over again, made worse by the false hope Written was giving her.

Sparkle worked quickly, returning just after midday. She arranged a tribunal to decide whether or not she would be deemed fit to be the filly’s guardian. And while Sparkle now seemed assured Carry would be successful, Written now had his doubts. If they interviewed the Carry he’d met less than a week ago she’d be fine. But right now, she was torn up; fear and doubt ebbed at her mind constantly.

It was only an hour away and would take most of the time Carry and Dinky would have left. If she failed, Written and Dinky would have to leave right away to make their train. Carry wanted to forget about it, and not risk their last moments together. But Written assured her it was worth the risk. Because there was no risk. They would approve her as a fit mother. Because she was more than a fit mother. She’s a good mother, a great mother. If only he would get her to believe that too.

The tribunal consisted of three ponies. One of them knew Dinky personally, it was Cheerilee. Another was the a member of the Social Services that Sparkle worked for and the third was the head of the Ponyville Social Services as Sparkle had told them. Not that she needed to. Carry remembered him. He had been one of the ones who had taken her son from her all those years ago.

“A history of mental instability and post-pardon depression lead to a suicide attempt. Resulting in the state taking your son into its custody, and now you seek to adopt a child. Is this correct?” the pegasus, the judge asked. He was a pale blue, wearing a black robe with a red tie and had a grey beard with no mane as he’d gone bold years ago. He sat in the middle of the three and looked directly at Dinky when he asked this. He wanted to not have the child in question hear but Carry was ‘on trial’ and both Sparkle and Written where going to testify in her behalf.

“Yes.” Carry replied. She wasn’t sure if he remembered her. It had been so long ago, he’d surely seen so many other cases since then. But she sure as hay remembered him.

“You’re medical history indicates that you haven’t had any relapses in your therapy in almost eight years. But that’s only what has been what’s said here. You suffered some deep wounds that needed to be treated three years ago. Would you explain these to us please?”

“A manticore, your honour. Me, Dinky and Derpy where in the Everfree Forest when it attacked. I risked my life to let them escape.” Carry said with pride. “Recorded or not, I haven’t caused myself harm in any way in years.”

“Maybe so, but there are many things to consider in this. The child’s uncle has already put in a claim for custody of her and has been successful in his attempt. While this can be changed quite easily under regular circumstances, he does have more authority in this matter than you do.”

“I know. And he’s one of my character witnesses today. Along with Dinky’s big sister from the Big Sister Program. And, I’m not sure if this is allowed but I believe Cheerilee could be as well.”

“No, I’m afraid not. While I know Dinky personally, I’m not allowed to let that sway my opinion. I’m sorry deary.”

“Is there anything you’d like to say before the first testimony is heard?”

“Yes. I’ve been around this filly since she was born. I’ve raised her alongside her mother. I may not be her uncle, but I’m a lot closer to her than he is.”

“Very well then. Would the first character-witness please take the stand.” the judge declared as Carry stepped off of it and Sparkle approach. She placed her hoof on a copy of the holy ‘Elements of Harmony: A Reference Guide’ and swore to tell the truth. “Please state your name and relation to the mare in question.”

“My name is Sparkle and I’m the Dinky’s big sister. In the Big Sister Program that is. Not by blood.”

“You’ve been with Dinky Doo in the Big Sister Program for three years now, correct?”

“Yes, nearly four now.”

“In that time how often has Carrot Top been around Dinky?”

“Almost as much as her mother. And more than I have.” Sparkle replied without pause. She had faith in Carry but she also had her doubts. “And while I don’t see anything wrong with her uncle, Dinky knows Carrot Top far better than him.”

“Do you know about Carrot Top’s mental history. And why she had her first child taken from her?”

“I know the basics of it. But I don’t need to. That was long ago and from what I’ve seen from her in the last years, I don’t think that will happen again.”

“Did you think that Ditzy would have a relapse until she did?” the judged questioned, throwing Sparkle for a loop.

“N-no. I didn’t.” she said. It was true, she hadn’t thought this would happen to Derpy and had up until now thought the mare had made a full recovery. Sparkle had even had to fight to stay assigned to Dinky now that her mother was considered well enough to not be eligible for the program anymore. “But you can’t compare two different pony’s conditions. I know all about Derpy’s condition. It’s unrelatable to post-pardon depression. “

“Clarify for the record: ‘Derpy’ is a nickname of one Ditzy Doo, the mother of Dinky Doo, correct?" the judge stated more than asked.

“Yes, Ditzy Doo is Derpy’s real name. But I, Carrot Top and her daughter all call her Derpy by her own request.”

“Is there any reasons you can think of that Carrot Top should not be deemed Dinky’s legal guardian?”

Sparkle paused. There was. But she couldn’t say it… but she had to. “Yes, there is one.”

“And that would be…?”

“While she hasn’t tried to harm herself in the time I’ve known her, she often said that it was because of Derpy that she had done so well for so long. I can’t deny that she’s been… not quite herself this last week since Derpy’s incident.” she turned to look back at Carry apologetically. She cared for Carry, but she cared for Dinky more and Sparkle couldn’t deny she was worried about what she had just said.

“Thanks you. Is there anything more you’d like to add?”

“No.”

“Very well. Would the next witness please take the stand.” the judge proclaimed as Sparkle left the stand and went back to Dinky’s side. The filly was confused; she didn’t understand what was going on.

“Why would Carry hurt herself?” she asked. Another thing it’s hard to explain to a child. She’d learn eventually but that didn’t need to be now, though perhaps now was the best time. But it wouldn’t end well, telling her would most likely end up with a filly in tears and a hopeful guardian also crying in front of the three who would decide Dinky and her own’s fate.

Written came up to the stand and took an oath. He had nothing to hide however, unlike Sparkle, he couldn’t think of a single negative thing about Carry. Or so he thought. “Please state your name and relation to the mare in question.”

“I’m Written Script and I’m a friend of hers and uncle to the child she wants to take in. And I believe current guardian of the child too.”

“You are Dinky’s uncle: her mother’s brother, correct?”

“Yes.”

“How long have you known Carrot Top?”

“I only met her less than a week ago. But I’d heard about my sister’s friend from her quite a lot.”

“Knowing her for so short of a time, how do you feel that you’re qualified to give testimony on her behalf?”

“I haven’t known her long, but my sister has. I trust my sister and my sister trusts her. They’ve been close friends since before Dinky was born. I can’t say I know her well, but from what I’ve seen from her, she cares about Dinky. As much or more than me or Sparkle do.”

“Before this hearing, did you know of Carrot Top’s mental history?”

“Yes. I suggested that she take Dinky instead of me and she told me why she couldn’t. But even after that, I still told her to try. This entire thing was my idea. I trust her to take good care of Dinky. There were only a few requirements for me to take custody of Dinky. That I have a job and means to support her. I think Carry... Carrot Top has more than me in that front as well. She has her own job with much more flexible hours than me, and Sparkle would still be around to help out as well.”

“Is there any reasons you can think of that Carrot Top should not be deemed Dinky’s legal guardian?”

“No. While Sparkle thinks that Carrot Top’s been odd of late. I can’t equate that to Derpy’s condition. I would say it’s more to the feeling of loss. That she was losing Dinky. I told her this last night, she agreed.” he said with a smile. A smile that perhaps said too much.

“Where were you and she last night?”

“We were at her house. I’d come over to thank her for all she’d done. I only broached the subject of taking Dinky then. She told me she’d thought about it herself but had been refused. I’m amazed at how fast Sparkle worked to get this trial arranged. That’s another reason she’d be better off with Carrot Top than me.”

“Are you and Carrot Top in any sort of relationship at this time?”

“N-no. All that happened last night was a few drinks. She may’ve drunkenly kissed me but there was nothing more than that.” he said before he realized he had called her drunk.

“Thank you. Is there anything else you’d like to add?”

“No.” he said flatly. He couldn’t tell if the judge had taken the drinking to heart or just let it slide by. Ponies drink all the time.

“Very well. That was the last testimonial. Would Carrot Top please take the stand once more.” the judge announced as Written stood back down and took his seat aside Sparkle and Dinky. Carrot Top took the stand once more. “From the testaments we have just heard there are a few questions I’d like to ask. You’ve stayed safe for years and have shown no signs of regression until lately. Would you attribute that to your friend Ditzy or to the child in question?”

“Both, your honour. But I think keeping Dinky here with me in Ponyville would also help Derpy make a faster recovery and help me as well.”

“You are aware that you are adopting this child. That Ditzy would no longer be considered her mother. That any and all responsibilities for the child would now be yours, not hers.”

“I, I wasn’t. The first part I mean. I’m aware she would be my responsibility. But, I thought this would only be temporary. Until Derpy recovered.”

“No. You are appealing for full custody of Dinky, to be your legally adopted daughter. She would not be Ditzy’s anymore. With that now clarified, do you still want to proceed?”

“Derpy would still be allowed to see Dinky though?”

“Yes, there would be nothing stopping us from letting you choose who is allowed near your daughter should you be sucessful.” he replied. All his comments had been in a hypothetical sense of ‘if you’re successful’. It sounded cruel but everything had to be so-so in this to avoid legal disputes of decisions made.

“Then yes. I still want to proceed. And even if Derpy couldn’t, I still think it would be in Dinky’s best interest for her to be with me.”

“Very well, next question. Of late, those who know you have noticed a change in your behaviour. What would you attribute this to?”

“I’m not sure. All of this I guess. My best friend is in the hospital and her daughter’s life being thrown for a loop. Wouldn’t anypony act differently with stuff like this happening?”

“You were drinking last night, presumably drunk from given testimony. Is this a regular thing, new or old?”

“It is regular. But new. I’ve been drinking the last three nights. I rarely drink normally and it’s even rarer that I over-do it. I don’t think it’s an issue though. Cheerilee’s sister, Berry punch is an alcoholic, so you can ask her if I show any signs of abusing the drink.”

"Y-yes… well…” Cheerilee spoke up. “Like I said earlier, I can’t give testimony for you… but I do have a stick to compare you too is all I’ll say.” offense not taken.

“Yes well,” the judge took back the hearing. “as rare as it may be, when intoxicated, do you often make rash choices.”

“I don’t know what you mean, you’re honour.”

“Testimony shows you made two decisions while under the influence of alcohol. One: you kissed this stallion, and that you aren’t in a relationship one would assume it was on impulse. Under different circumstances that could’ve ended poorly. While it isn’t my job to judge your personal and love lives, this could prove to cause an unhealthy environment for a young foal to have suitors after their mother’s affection.”

“Oh. Well, I, I stand by what I did. Drunk or not. He’s a nice stallion and should’ve it lead to anything I think I’m a good choice of character. He’d make a great father…. figure! A great father figure.” she added with a little blush.

“The second choice you made, only yesterday, while intoxicated was to try for custody of Dinky. I have to question the sudden taking of charge and whether it’s been fully thought through.”

“It has. I told you I tried to take custody of her as soon as I heard about what happened to Derpy. They wouldn’t let me. If it hadn’t been for Sparkle, I’m not sure I even would’ve been able to see Dinky since then. She trusts me enough to let me take her while she was under her supervision. She trusts me enough to try and help me take full custody of Dinky now. I don’t see why I should have to prove any of this! I’ve been a little upset lately, but who wouldn’t be? Maybe drinking wasn’t the best way to cover it but it’s not the worst and it’s far from uncommon. I’m sure there are mothers, fathers, brother, sister’s and all kinds of what-else far worse than me! I’ve been there for this child! I’ve been there since before Sparkle. As long as her real mother has! I just want to help her. She’s already my daughter… she’s…”

Carry lost it as the tears finally escaped. This was the last thing she wanted to happen in front of them. She’d yelled at them and then burst into tears. But not a word of it was a lie! Dinky had been her daughter as much as she had been Derpy’s. “Thank you.” the judge called as he stood up. Cheerilee and the other stood as well. “We’ve heard all we need. We’ll return in thirty minutes with the tribunal’s decision.” and they walked from their seats away to their chamber.

Carry stayed on the podium she’d given her speech on. She didn’t want to leave, instead just wait for them to make their minds. Written approached her and put a hoof over her shoulder. “Come. Let’s get something to eat fast. How about some ice cream for Dinky?”

“Ok.” she said leaning her head onto his hoof a bit. She turned and started walking alongside him as they left.