• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 692 Views, 13 Comments

The Conquest of Space - Marcus Centurian



Dawn Sparkle, daughter of Twilight, embarks on a journey of space and self exploration

  • ...
2
 13
 692

To Explore Strange New Worlds

The Conquest of Space: The Saga of Dawn Sparkle

Chapter 5: To Explore Strange New Worlds

Night came and went with our royal guest amazing pony and bird alike with her moonrise and set. The morning found me refreshed, but still sore from my exploits of the previous day. I decided to hit my day head-on with a good breakfast and some small talk with the Princess before she called it a night (or day as it were). Now that things were calm, I decided to hit up Captain Swift on her offer to tour her ship.

The Avian ship seemed almost cramped, despite the high ceilings and large rooms. The Magic is by no means a large ship, but I felt that my own ship seemed more spacious even though my ship’s compliment and physical size is smaller than the Saber. I asked Captain Swift about this and she replied, “It I due to the nature of our vessel. We go for long journeys and basic physics says that more ship requires more fuel and supplies, so to maximize our range, wasted space is minimized.”

I replied, “So I see. I know this is a bit random, but Luna called you the CEO of some company. What was that all about?”

“I’m the CEO of Avian Avionics; it’s a company I founded to explore the cosmos.”

“But why a company? Doesn’t the Avian government help you out?”

“No. We receive no subsidies or other help from our government.”

“So is that why you were interested in us ponies, as a way to make profit?”

She hesitated a bit before answering, “I won’t lie to you, but I smell a business deal when I catch one. Don’t get me wrong, I love exploration and discovery, but without an incentive for potential profit, there is no reason to pursue a line of research.”

“So you do not research for the love of knowledge, but for profit?”

“In essence.”

“So I see,” I said with reservation.

After that we walked in silence as she showed me the rest of the ship. Soon we reached the ship borne weapons room.

“These weapons are designed to kill,” I noted, somewhat disconcerted.

“Some…obstacles… need to be removed by force.”

“But killing?”

“Most races do not have your taboo against killing and will be more than happy to feed you a lead sandwich.”

“A lead sandwich doesn’t sound very tasty.”

“It’s an expression meaning that they will kill you, a holdover from when bullets were made out of lead,” She paused for a second before continuing, “I do not mean to corrupt a peaceful society, but the reality of space-faring nations is that killing is the norm, not the exception. If you ponies are to continue in this galaxy you are going to need more serious offensive weaponry.”

“There is no problem that cannot be solved through diplomacy and friendship,” I asserted.

She added darkly, “Diplomacy only goes so far. If you do not learn to fight and kill, ponies will be subjugated or be but a footnote in the book of history.”

I was quick to add, but trying to keep my emotions in check, “But we were able to use diplomacy to prevent you from using your deadly weapons.”

“This is true and I know of other races that will try diplomacy too, but they will also use deadly force if needed. However I also know a few races that will shoot first and ask questions later.”

“If the conquest of space requires us to fundamentally change Equestrian society, it might not be worth it.”

“I’m afraid you and your people will have to rise to the challenge at some point, either now or later and from what I’ve seen, I believe you can go through that gauntlet and make it. It will take some changes and work, but it can be done.”

“You’ve given me a lot to think about…”

“I have faith that you and your people can pull it off.”

I replied, somewhat darkly, “That isn’t much comfort from a race that has no deities they hold faith in.”

“It is not that kind of faith. It is a hope and optimistic feeling that our newest allies can endure and thrive, but I need to temper that optimism. I am a realist in the knowledge that trials are coming both from within and without Equestria. I just want you to be ready. We Avians were only so barely able to put aside our differences and when we reached into space with did so somewhat naively, such as your young race, but we adapted and thrived and I can only hope Equestrians can do the same.”

It dawned on me what she was trying to say, “I see what you are saying. I may not completely agree with you and your people’s philosophy, but it a practical and pragmatic response to the nature of our galaxy. Thanks for your time and thoughts.”

After my edifying conversation with Captain Swift, I returned to my own ship. She took her leave and the Avian ship left our vicinity to areas unknown and we wished them luck in their endeavors. Our royal guest decided to join us for a late lunch before heading off to Equestria. I broke out some Sweet Apple Acres cider that I was saving for a rainy day much to my crew’s delight and much reverie and merriment was to be had. Midway through the party Luna pulled me aside, “Dawn, you remind me so much of your mother.”

“I hear that a lot Princess.”

“Please skip the formalities, just call me Luna.”

“Right, Luna.”

“I read the prophesy of Discord and I think it may have merit. But as with the nature of prophesy it is unknown who or when the disaster might strike. However, you must be the one mentioned in its verse, so be careful. The fate of Equestria may lie in your hooves…or not.”

“I’ll be on the lookout for trouble, I guess.”

“That’s the most I could ask,” She paused for another minute before adding, “You really do remind me of your mother.”

“You said that already, Luna.”

“I know, but you are so like her. You both share that spark, the magic of friendship. I can see it in your crewmates, I can see it in your ship and I can see it in you. Your mother must be proud.”

“I know she is, Luna,” I started to tear up a bit at this, “And I am proud of her too.”

The immortal princess fidgeted a bit before deciding to say, with a sigh, “Dawn, I’d just like to say I’m sorry for what happened yesterday in the boardroom.”

“Nopony or nobird got hurt and everything turned out well for both us and them.”

“I guess its outbursts like that that make my return to station so difficult. A generation has gone by since my return and redemption, yet I still snap like that. No wonder ponies are still distrustful and skittish around me.”

“That’s who you are, Luna. You keep your emotions on your sleeve and provide balance to your sister’s often impassive demeanor,” I stated. Wow, I never thought I’d need to console a princess.

“So you like me for who I am, not due to my station or your mother’s trust?”

“I do genuinely love to have you as a friend, strengths and flaws. All of you.”

“Thanks, Dawn Sparkle. That means a lot to me.” She gave me a gentle hug, “Please come visit me in Canterlot sometime, my friend.”

“I’d be delighted.”

“So with that, I’ll take my leave,” She addressed the room in the Royal Canterlot Voice, “THANK YOU, EVERYPONY. MY STAY HERE ABORD THE HMS MAGIC WAS FULL OF DARE I SAY MAGIC. I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING MORE ABOUT YOUR ADVENTURES. FARE THEE WELL.”

Those ponies who were lucid enough cheered or wished Luna well as she disappeared into blue stardust and flew through a porthole out into the vastness of space. I stared smiling at the porthole for a bit before returning to the present. I sighed seeing as this would probably be the best time to talk to Joe and Royal before they returned to work. I decided Joe would be the easier one to talk to.

“Hey, Joe,” I said as I canted up to his table where he was nursing a glass of hard cider between his hooves.

“Hey, Dawn. What’s going on?”

“Not much. I just sent off the co-ruler of Equestria a day after overseeing First Contact and performing a draining teleportation. What about you?”

“When you put it that way, I’ve done nothing at all for the past day.”

“Don’t be like that. You’re my front-right hoof pony and I couldn’t run the Magic without you.”

“I’m sure you can manage without me.”

“Why are you cutting yourself to the quick? I wouldn’t have you here if you weren’t essential.”

“It’s just…”

“Just what? You are holding something from me and I want to know what it is. It’s not like you to keep secrets and your poker face leaves something to be desired.”

He gave me a long drawn out sigh, “It has dawned on me Dawn, that I love you, more than just a friend, but as a coltfriend. I’m sorry you had to find out this way, but I honestly couldn’t drum up the courage to tell you, but now there it is.”

I was speechless. I knew that Joe and I went way back to before the ESC academy and we were good friends back in Ponyville, but honestly I never noticed his advances. Was I just oblivious and he loved me the whole time but I was just too wrapped up in myself to know or is this a new development or was it simply the events of the past few days were the catalyst or maybe it is just the cider talking? After a moment of silence, he continued,

“Stupid me. I knew as soon as I opened my mouth it’d cause trouble. I’ll just go now.”

I finally got my brain into gear, “Joe, don’t leave.”

“You don’t have to love me out of pity. I understand the nature of infatuation.”

I scrambled for a way to resolve the situation as cleanly and kindly as possible, “Joe, you kinda hit me with a sledgehammer. I like you as a friend, I respect you as my first mate and I value you and your opinions. It’s just I need to get my head together and decide for myself what the answer is. You know me, I try to temper the passion with reason and that’s what I need to do. Give me some time and I’ll get your answer.”

Joe perked up at this, “So there may be something there.”

“Joe, you have been there for me through thick and thin and all the while we have a strong bond of friendship between us. Whatever my answer I want this to be crystal clear: you are my best friend, coltfriend or no. I don’t want potentially failed romance to foul the connection we built. But I can also see the amazing reward a successful romance could bring.”

Joe looked at me forlornly, “I see your point. I’m sorry I didn’t consider the consequences of my built-up love. If you must have time to sort it out, I can hardly deny you that privilege, but if you are just stringing me along so you don’t hurt my feelings, please let me know now so I can get on with life. But no matter what, I love you Dawn.”

Joe then got up and left me alone at the table with me and my thoughts. So much for the easier of the two gentleponies to sort out.

A good half an hour and glass of cider later found me still musing at the table at Joe’s confession. I had so many thoughts I was sure my head was going to explode from the sheer volume of thinking about Joe and me, but a new member at my table pulled me out of my head. Much to my annoyance, dismay and relief it was Royally Bucked. I both didn’t want to talk to him but I also needed to talk to him at the same time.

“Hey Dawn. Is this considered off duty?” he said with a puff of alcohol on his breath that implied he had quite a few.

“Yes, Royal. You can speak freely,” I said with visible annoyance.

“Well then, I’d like to apologize for my indiscretion and misconduct on the bridge. It is hardly fitting of a bridge officer such as myself and I’d like to be retired off the bridge in a capacity that will not compromise the ship.”

“Royal…. I cannot simply let you leave the bridge without good reason. I need you at tactical.”

“But I am unfit of command. I only have banging on my mind while on the bridge and I buck up too frequently. Tartatus! I’m so bucked up, it’s in my name, Royally Bucked!”

“Royal, you and I both know that your name is due to your mother’s…. unusual…sense of humor and a night of drunken debauchery.”

“And here I am, following in my mother’s hoofsteps with six glasses of hard cider in my stomach.”

“I’m not sure if I should be impressed that you are conscious and lucid after six glasses or appalled that you’ve drunken that much.”

“So, then. If you refuse to demote me, do you want to bang?”

“As tempting as that is, I’ll have to decline. I’ve got a lot on my mind.”

“What could possibly bother you? We are talking about The Dawn Sparkle, the pride of the ESC academy and captain of the swift Magic. What could bother her?”

“It would seem that she has a personal problem, the sort she needs to sort out.”

“Care to fill me in?”

“Not particularly.”

“Oh, come on. I’m trustworthy and stuff. I’ve known you longer than everypony here, except maybe Joe,” at the sound of his name I couldn’t help but try to restrain a blush. Royal picked right up on this, “Oh, so it’s about Joe, huh? I’m also guessing it’s a matter of love; I’ve got a feeling that it. You know, the son of love, herself, sort of feeling.”

I know that trying to hid matters of love from Royal was like trying to ask Pinkie Pie to not hold a party.

Royal continued, “Well, I might need to smack him around. Cause, I’ve been dying to tell you this, but I’ve got the hots for you. Not in the banging sense but in the romantic way. I thought you were open season, but it looks like I’ve got some competition.”

As if I needed more complications to my life, two of the most handsome stallions and pair of my best friends had both confessed their love for me over the course of one afternoon. Things could only escalate from here.

“Hey, Joe!”

“Yes, Royal?”

“How dare you!?!”

“How dare I do what?”

“I love Dawn! Get your hooves off her!”

“I love Dawn. You get your grubby little hooves off her.”

“Oh, so you think you are such a big and tough customer. I can take you.”

I attempted to interject to minimize a confrontation, “Fellows, stop it.”

They both hissed at me, “Stay out of this, Dawn.”

I was put off, but they couldn’t see reason over the passion. I watched with horror as the two ponies began to exchange blows and insults and it became apparent that I needed to contain them. I warmed up my horn and enveloped both stallions in two separate auras, as they still proceeded to exchange unsavory and nasty insults all the way to the brig. I put them in separate cells and then lost all composure as I ran to my room and began to cry at the terrible predicament I suddenly found had found myself in. If this is what love feels like, I want no part of it!

Author's Note:

Sorry for taking a while to update. School and writer's conundrum has limited how fast I can update.

I assure you I'll see this fic through to its end, just it won't be in an epic 100,000 word fashion. I do dislike fics that stop after they've pulled you in due to the author's lack of interest or lack of satisfactory updates. I promise not to string you along and we'll see it through to the end and thanks for your interest thus far!