• Published 22nd Apr 2013
  • 861 Views, 13 Comments

Three Words On Your Birthday - Anthology - Duplex Fields



"Happy birthday! Three words gets you a quickfic." For those artists and authors I follow, I post this message, and give them a short fanfic for their birthdays. This anthology of birthday shortfics is a birthday present to all my fellow

  • ...
0
 13
 861

Awesome, maybe, related

It was fun jumping from cloud to cloud, but it wasn't what Scootaloo really wanted to do.

"Hey Rainbow Dash," she called out, and the blue blur zipping cross the sky resolved itself into her idol.

"What's up, squirt?"

"Maybe you could explain your cutie mark some more," said Scootaloo, "and maybe I can get my own."

"You do know it just sorta happened, right? I was being awesome, and kaboom! I got my mark." Rainbow landed on the cloud. "When Rarity had my mark, she was cranking out all sorts of crazy weather patterns. It makes me wonder if my mark meant what I thought it meant."

"Whaddya mean?"

Rainbow gestured at the small cloud playground she'd hastily constructed far above the Crusader Clubhouse. "I'm really good at weather. Really fast, too. If my mark was really about racing, Rarity would'a been racing everypony she saw, not making weather."

Scootaloo giggled, then abruptly cleared her throat in a manner she hoped came across as more adult than the giggles.

With a snap of her tail, Rainbow frowned. "Don't tell anypony I told you this, okay, kiddo? Can't have tales about me being unsure drifting around on the rumor windmills."

"As Commander-In-Chief of the Official Rainbow Dash Fan Club," said Scootaloo, holding up her right forehoof, "I swear it will not leave this cloud."

Rainbow gave her a playful noogie. "I just wish I knew what it meant for sure."

"You're the Element of Loyalty," Scootaloo said, "And you got your mark being loyal to Fluttershy. But Rarity wasn't doing anything really loyal with those clouds."

"Hmph."

"You said your sonic rainboom blew away a lot of the clouds around the camp, so it's probably weather-related for sure," Scootaloo continued, now gazing thoughtfully at the sky. "And Rarity was making a whole sky full of clouds really fast. So it's probably about doing weather really fast."

Rainbow sighed. "I've been down this road, kid."

"Wait, wait," said Scootaloo, now feeling rushed. "I've got it! It means that whatever you do, you're awesome at it."

"Eh, I guess," said Rainbow, growing more visibly frustrated at the talking and inactivity. "Hey, you want to race?"

Scootaloo lifted one of her small wings, and frowned.

"Naw, I mean race clouds. Here," Rainbow said, pulling some clouds apart with her hooves, "You ride on this one, and I ride on that one. Just don't go too fast, or it'll fall apart, and I'll have to turn around and catch you."

Over the next hour, they zipped under and through the cloud playground, which, at cloud racing speeds, was more of an obstacle course. By the time they exhausted themselves, Scootaloo with speed and Rainbow with caution, all their troubles were forgotten.

Scootaloo landed her cloud on the larger fluffy mass, and watched them merge. She shivered with exertion and the chill of altitude. "Man, I could g-go for a nap, right about n-now."

Rainbow, euphoric from her own workout, rolled onto her back and spread her wings. "C'mere, squirt," she said, her tired mind shading reality with memories of when her father used to bring her home sweaty and exhausted from the Cloudsdale public playclouds. "I've got a nice, warm spot just for you."

Scootaloo grinned so wide, she thought her head would split in two.






Author's Note:

For deviant Grenaddas, a birthday request inspired by Afternoon Nap (see above) and Derpidety's Lullaby for the Coolest Pegasi.