• Published 21st Jan 2013
  • 583 Views, 12 Comments

A Gifted Pony, with a Life-Changing secret. - StarShooter174



Star Shooter has always had a secret. One that if she told anypony, would ruin her life. But, one day when she is called upon for a special job, everything goes wrong. Now she must run from her own friends, will she be able to protect the filly?

  • ...
 12
 583

New Arrivals, and a Threat?!

"Who sent the threat?" The mane six had gone across an ocean to another continent to help the Fire Water City, who was having trouble with Changelings. "Queen Chrysalis, the Changeling Queen." Shimmerflame, the Princess of Fire, said, her voice full of anger. "We defeated her years ago in Canterlot!" Rainbow blurted out. "Then I guess you will be able to defeat her again?" "Easy. We did it once, we can do it again." Twilight reassured the Princess. Shimmerflame dismissed them, after thanking them for helping. As they exited the castle, they were in the large valley surrounded by mountains once again. "Um... Twilight?" Fluttershy said, just loud enough for her friends to hear. "Yes, Fluttershy?" "We don't even know where the Changelings are." Twilight started thinking about what she had researched about Changelings the past few years. But she had read nothing about where they live. They got a room at an inn and settled down. Little did they know, they had been watched since their arrival.

The light blue pegasus was interested in the new arrivals. It may be a big city, but news about new arrivals spreads faster than a wildfire in a field of dried grass on one of the hottest summer days. Especially when there's six of them, AND they got a private conversation with the Princess."Whatcha doin' Starry?" She jumped at the sound of her friend Cake Light behind her."Will you stop sneaking up behind me? And I'm interested in these newcomers, why they're here that is." "Why don't you just ask them?" Shooter groaned at her bubblegum-colored friend."What if they're here about the Changelings?" Cake Light easily heard the faintest sound of fright in her friend's voice, it was always easy to hear because Star Shooter was never frightened or scared."Your worried about the Changelings? I'd be happy with them gone." "Why would I be worried about Changelings?!" She snapped.

Fluttershy looked out the window to see a light blue pegasus that seemed to be arguing with a bubblegum-colored earthpony. The earthpony was staring at her, then at her friend, and back at her again. Then the blue pegasus turned around and froze. Fluttershy was confused at why they were arguing, but more confused why they were at their window in particular. The two ponies just stared back at Fluttershy, and she stared back at them. Did they even realize that she had opened the window?"Um... What are you doing?" She asked. "Just... Uh... Wondering how the new arrivals are doing?" The blue pegasus answered awkwardly. "Oh we're doing just fine, but why are you asking through the window?" "Well, there isn't a window on the door or inside. And we didn't want to disturb you if you were asleep. We didn't disturb you, did we?" "No you didn't, I just always look out my window when I wake up back home." The pink earthpony replied instead of the pegasus this time."We didn't introduce ourselves, I'm Cake Light, and this is Star Shooter. We have four other friends and life here is great! We all have wonderful days and restful nights and-" Cake Light gasped and continued,"YouDidHaveARestfulNight, Right?!" Star Shooter sighed and said,"She has a habit of talking too fast. And all day."

Shooter and Light went to Berry Twist's library, their pink and yellow maned unicorn friend always knew what to do. "Gem, do you have any books that you don't read anymore or not?" Twist asked as the two walked in. Sapphire Gem replied,"I do have a few books, oh! Hi Shooter and Light." Twist looked over at the two,"I didn't notice you two came in, do you need anything?" Light and Shooter looked at their friends,"Well, now I'm interested in what you guys were talking about," Shooter stated as she looked at Gem, a yellow unicorn with a blue mane and tail."Oh, well, I decided to stop by and say hello. Then-" "I asked her if she had any books that she didn't read anymore. But she keeps dodging the question." Twist looked over toward the door as a purple unicorn walked in."I better get going anyway. See you guys later!" Gem said as she left,"I should too. Besides, there could be cupcake orders!" Cake Light burst out of the door and headed straight for the bakery. Twist walked over to the unicorn and asked if she was looking for a certain book. Shooter flew up to the beams just below the roof. She sat up there and thought about the new arrivals... Did they pose a threat? Why did they get to talk to the princess in private? And exactly why are they here? She was going to get her answers, but how would she do it?

Shooter was walking to the Crag Cave, where her and other pegasi would race to see who's the best flyer. If the rainbow-maned pegasus she saw earlier today was a racing type. I would leave her in dust, She thought to herself. No pegasus had ever beaten her at a race before, and she wouldn't lose today's race either. She soon arrived at the Cave and waited at the start line, any number of pegasi could race. Though the highest number of pegasi she had raced was about fifteen to twenty in one race, and she had beaten them all. On today's track there were shortcuts everywhere, it was considered the Beginner Track, because every pegasus that trained was put on this track first. As more pegasi arrived, she didn't see the rainbow-maned pegasus, but raced anyway. As all the pegasi lined up in front of her, the countdown started. "3, Get set," Check Flag began,"...2, Get Ready........FLY!" As soon as he began saying 'fly' every pegasus took off. Star Shooter knew every nook and cranny of this track. She used no shortcuts and zoomed past all of the pegasi easily, like a shooting star through the sky. These races did help get her cutiemark after all. The race was going fine, but something was right. Star Shooter slowed down, was that rocks...Shifting? She had never witnessed the tracks change, so was the track changing, on it's own? A giant rock shifted and nearly hit some of the racers. Then Check yelled as clear as day, "Everypony off the track immediately!!"Pegasi were dodging rocks and bumping into each other to get off the track as fast as they could. Star Shooter saw a young pegasus in front of her that was flying too slow, but she could tell it was as fast as he could go. She knew she would be able to get out but he wouldn't. Without thinking, she flew faster and bumped into him so he could go faster. Making sure he made it through, Star Shooter realized it was farther than she anticipated. She flew as fast as she could. But one question haunted her thoughts. 'Will my best, even be enough?'

Author's Note:

This is my first story so I would like some criticism so I can get better. And I know it's on another continent (If no one has figured that out yet, which you should have...)