• Published 17th Jan 2013
  • 1,056 Views, 49 Comments

Diary of a Baker - Wildebeest



A baker's ordinary life takes a turn for the extraordinary.

  • ...
2
 49
 1,056

Chapter 9: Endgame

The time had finally come.

No more beating around the bush. No more chickening out. No more procrastinating. No more waiting for things to work out on their own. No more sitting around and waiting while life continues to pass me by. It was time to take the bull by the horns, to take the definitive step and start this beautiful, exciting new chapter in my life.

It was time for me to propose.

I still remember the day vividly, down to every last detail. It was about 6:00 in the evening. Lyra and Bon-Bon were in one corner of the shop splitting a vanilla milkshake, Doctor Whooves was by the window gorging himself on butter- covered english muffins, and Snails was at the front of the line, still trying to decide whether he wanted a white- frosted donut or a pink one. Cup Cake was waiting on a tray of croissants she had just pushed into the oven while her favorite radio station was playing faintly in the background. Part of me wanted to pick a more romantic time to pop the question, or think of a cleverer way to do so, but my heart couldn't take one more minute of waiting. The question was going to burst out of me like an alien if I didn't do it soon.

"Cup Cake?" I called.

"Yes?" she answered, looking over her shoulder.

"There's something I want to tell you," I said, nervously averting her gaze. "And it's really quite important."

Cup Cake turned around to face me, looking just the slightest bit anxious. "What is it?" she asked.

"Cup Cake, I-"

"And that was 'One Week' by the Barenaked Fillies! We're gonna follow that up with another one of my favorite hits from the turn of the millennium; this is 'Hero' by Manerique Iglesias! Enjoy!"

DJ P0N3 couldn't have picked a better song for me right then. Here's the thing, though; if you had asked me my opinion on 'Hero' by Manerique Iglesias on any other day, I would have told you that it's a syrupy, overplayed piece of schlock that sounds like it was written exclusively for filly flicks. And that Manerique is a one-note hack who wore out his welcome years ago.

But on that day, at that very moment, when I was staring into the eyes of the woman who I wanted to grow old with... it was a beautiful, moving piece of work whose lyrics resonated with me on a level I never thought was possible.

"Cup Cake," I started, "ever since you walked into that bakery on that fateful night, you've consumed my every thought. I've spent every moment apart from you aching for your return. And every moment I've spent with you is a moment that I would be glad to relive again and again and again for the rest of my life."

"Would you cry... if you saw me crying? And would you save my soul, tonight?"

As if on cue, my eyes started misting up and tears started to blur my vision. "You're such a *sniff* beautiful specimen of a mare that my words can hardly do you justice. Your coat... I didn't know that such a lovely shade of blue even existed. The way your mane bounces in time with your every step is almost hypnotic. Your eyes, like sunset- drenched pools of freshwater, have been haunting my every dream since the first time I gazed into them."

Cup Cake's eyes started to mist up, too. I could tell that she knew exactly what was coming.

"I couldn't *sniffle* ask for a better companion," I continued, tears starting to trickle down my cheeks. "You've been nothing but helpful and supportive since the first day you started working here. I used to have to drag myself out of bed every morning; now I practically leap from my bed every time my alarm goes off, simply because of how much I look forward to being in your beautiful, radiant presence. You've given me something worth living for."

At this point, a hush had passed over the bakery and absolutely everypony was staring at us. I couldn't have cared less, though.

"Am I in too deep? Have I lost my mind? Well, I don't care... you're here tonight."

"I've made up my mind. There's no turning back now. Cup Cake, you're the mate of my dreams, the mate I've always wanted for as long as I can remember..."

"I can be your hero, baby. I can kiss the pain away."

"...and my only request is for you to let me be yours. Cup Cake..."

I reached into my apron pocket, pulled out a diamond ring, got down on one knee and held it up to her face. "...will you marry me?"

Tears started gushing from Cup Cake's eyes. "Oh, Carrot Cake," she cried, "YES!"

She bent down, hoisted me up and started twirling me around. "My answer is YES, Carrot Cake! Yes, yes, a thousand times YES!" I could faintly hear the sound of everypony in the building applauding us as soon as she gave her answer.

At that point, we could do nothing but embrace each other as tight as we could, tears streaming down both of our faces. It was, to this day, the happiest moment of my life.

"I love you, Cup Cake."

"And I *sniff* love you too, Carrot Cake."

I can be your hero.