• Published 10th Jan 2013
  • 1,038 Views, 35 Comments

A New Chapter - RibaBian



somewhat AU. Rarity is a city pony moving to Ponyville. Can she ever learn to get along? Especially with somepony who is her polar opposite...

  • ...
4
 35
 1,038

Chapter 1

Rarity stood on the brink of a volcano, looking out into the thick bubbly lava ready to swallow her whole and end her miserable pony life. Alright alright, so it wasn’t a volcano, it was a train. And to be fair, the lava wasn’t lava so much as the station platform, but it may as well have been.

Just put one hoof in front of the other, Rarity. Good, see? No big deal; it’s not the end of your life, just the end of your career! The pony stifled a sob. No, no. My career is already over. It’s time to move on with my life! Do something new!

As Rarity stepped out onto the platform she already felt out of place. The other passengers around her were obviously from here, being greeted by family and friends as they stepped out. She knew she was getting looks, dressed in a beige-colored, cashmere poncho lined with white crystal and a matching cartwheel hat (all hoof-stitched and well done if she did say so herself).

A city pony like her just couldn’t blend in at a place like this.

“Excuse me, ma’am?”

Rarity glanced over to see one of the attendants from the train, a warm brown coat and a bell cutie mark on his flank, looking nervous. The dangling crystals on her hat made a pleasant jangling sound and shone as she turned to face him.

“D-do you need h-help with anything?” He blushed.

Rarity smiled. “Oh, no thank you, darling. I can handle it. No problem!” She didn’t actually believe the words, but there was nothing this pony, or really anypony could do to help her. For the first time in her life she was all alone. Or maybe she always had been and just never realized; she wasn’t sure.

“A-alrighty then, m-ma’am. Thank you f-for your service!” He gave her an awkward bow before nearly tripping over himself bounding away.

Rarity sighed, smile falling from her face, and used her magic to adjust the single saddlebag on her back. She hadn’t brought anything else. There was no need, as she had sent the rest of her things on ahead of her…to her new home.

Rarity trotted out of the station and began her walk into the town she would likely spend the rest of her miserable life in: Ponyville. The roads were all dirt, and the pony grimaced to think of filth she would have to clean from her hooves. She made a mental note to start wearing shoes regularly.

It wasn’t long until Rarity reached the first buildings, mostly small shops with grinning ponies standing around outside, chatting amongst themselves. As she walked by she heard them go silent and felt their stares on her back, followed by hushed whispers.

“Who is she?”

“Is she famous?”

“What’s somepony like that doing in a place like this?”

Rarity didn’t mind. She had always enjoyed attention for her work, even a simple ensemble like this; the recognition was the most rewarding part. Honestly, dressed like this she wouldn’t get a second glance in Canterlot, or even Manehattan.

The unicorn tried to put on a sweet smile for the admiring masses – although with the size of this town it was more like the admiring few. Even if she had never wanted to be here, there was no point in not at least getting along.

As Rarity rounded a corner she suddenly found herself knocked off her hooves and onto her back. Even through the dizzying sensation her first thought was worry for her wardrobe. It looked as though she would have more to worry about than just dirty hooves if this kept up.

“Ah geez, did I hit somepony again?” What seemed to be an Appleloosian dialect asked before a pair of green eyes appeared from where she was lying on the ground.

“Are ya alright?” The Earth pony held out a hoof to help her up, and Rarity took it, quickly dropping it as soon as she had righted herself.

The pony had an orange hide, a blonde mane that probably hadn’t been brushed in months, if ever, and freckles littered her cheeks. When she turned to pick up Rarity’s discarded saddlebag, she could see a cutie mark of three apples on her flank, which would explain the apple cart that trailed behind her. That must have been what she had knocked her over with.

The other pony trotted back with the saddlebag in her mouth and Rarity used her magic to lift it back onto her back.

“Ah’m awful sorry about that. Ah’m Applejack, by the way.” The mare, now known as Applejack, held out a hoof in greeting.

Rarity ignored it.

She just practically killed me because of her carelessness and now she’s trying to be friendly? She should be begging me for forgiveness!

“Well then, Applejack, I understand it must be hard to see past that…” she grimaced. “…completely out-dated cowpony hat. Maybe if you weren't wearing that ghastly thing you would have seen me.” Rarity huffed.

Applejack frowned, her brow creasing. “Hate to be rude, sugarcube, but this was partially your fault.”

“Me?!”

“Yes, you! Maybe if ya could see past all them there shiny rocks danglin' in front of yur face ya wouldn’t have bumped into mah applecart.” Applejack retorted, scowling.

Rarity gaped. “Why I- These are not rocks!” She pointed her hoof towards her hat. “These are grade-A gemstones, worth more than three carts-full of your stupid apples!”

“Are you calling mah family’s prided apples we work year-round on stupid?”

“Maybe I-!“

Rarity stopped, noticing a crowd of ponies developing around them.

So much for a good first impression.

“I-I don’t have the time for this!” Rarity declared with a huff, quickly galloping around the cart and past its owner to hide her embarrassment. She continued at this pace until she was out of sight of the others.

Rarity gasped for breath as she finally came to a stop. She obviously wasn’t a race pony, and suddenly felt very glad that she hadn’t chosen such a sweaty career.

Dirt on my clothes, dirt on my hooves, and now I’m covered in this disgusting sweat! This is the worst possible thing!

She knew she could often be dramatic, but she truly felt her circumstances warranted it, if just this once. Maybe she had been a tad dramatic when faced with that apple pony; she simply didn’t have the patience right now.

Stifling a sigh, Rarity took a look around her, trying to find her bearing. Everything had happened rather quickly, so she hadn’t had a chance to visit this place before the move. She was already beginning to regret it.

“Fantastic! This day couldn’t possibly be going more swimmingly!”

The mare used her magic to take the map the realtor had given her from her saddlebag and open it. She felt a slight panic rise in her chest when she didn’t recognize anything immediately, but soon she spotted a building on the map: a garishly decorated bakery with a sign reading “Sugarcube Corner” hanging nearby.

Rarity frowned as she realized she’d nearly walked half the town, but at least she wasn’t too far from her new home.

She continued walking along the path, past a few more shops and by the town hall before she stopped to look at her map again. She sighed, this time in relief, as she realized she was only one bridge away.

Rarity quickly trotted over the bridge, nearly breaking into a canter as she finally reached what had once been a death sentence and what was now her salvation.

“Oh, sweet Celestia! Finally!” She exclaimed, barely taking a second to examine the outside of her new home before bursting inside.

As soon as she entered she dropped her saddlebag, and collapsed on the red, velvet chaise in the main room. She could see it didn’t quite go with the color scheme of her new place, but that couldn’t be helped; she had had this furniture moved directly from her old home after all.

It had fit perfectly there.

Deep purples and royal blues would suit this place so much better.

However, everything in the house had already been unpacked and put in its proper place. Well, everything except the supplies from her old boutique. She couldn’t trust the mover ponies to handle her precious materials and mannequins with care, so she had simply told them to leave them boxed and packed away in the biggest room they could find. If she were being honest, she simply couldn’t bring herself to look at those things right now.

Rarity closed her eyes for the first time since she had departed from Canterlot, and let herself sink into the plush of the chaise. She could feel herself drifting away, finally beginning to relax until her thoughts disturbed her again.

Why does the first day of my new life have to turn out so dreadful? She truly wished it would rain just to match her mood. It wasn’t fair for the sun to be out. And that rude cowpony didn’t help my mood any. How uncouth! She didn’t even…

Rarity frowned.

No, that’s not right. She did apologize. I should have just accepted it. She couldn’t have known I was feeling so dour.

She felt sick to her stomach, as she was once again reminded of her situation. “Too late to go back now, Rarity. That’s just one pony you will never get along with, and it’s your own stupid fault.”

A knock on the door stopped her monologue.

“Hello? Is anypony in there?” A high-pitched voice asked. “It’s me-! Well, actually you don’t know me yet, so I should really say ‘its nice to meet you!’ although I haven’t met you yet, since you haven’t opened the door, so maybe it’s like-“

Rarity jumped off her chaise, feeling more irritated than ever as she threw open her door to reveal a bright pink pony with a blinding smile.

“Oh! Hi there!” The bubbly Earth pony giggled. “My name is Pinkie Pie! I saw you in town earlier – actually I saw mover ponies a few days ago, and I wanted to be the first pony in Ponyville to welcome you! I know all the ponies in Ponyville, so I knew it was you because I didn’t recognize you!”

“Right…” Rarity wasn’t sure how to react to this “Pinkie Pie”. She was entirely too much.

“Well, my name is Rarity. So if that’s all, then I really should be-“

“Wait a second, silly!” Pinkie stuck a hoof in the door to stop her from closing it. “It’s not a real welcome without a welcome party!”

“A-a welcome party?”

“Of course!” Pinkie Pie’s seemingly perpetual smile disappeared for a moment as she added. “I didn’t know when you were coming, so I didn’t plan anything, yet.”

She looked guilty - though she had no reason to be, since Rarity hadn’t expected any such thing to begin with - but her grin returned full-force a moment later.

“I’ll throw you the most awesome, spectacular welcome party ever to make up for it!” Pinkie concluded.

“Oh no, darling, that’s quite al-”

“It’s a Pinkie promise! Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!” The pony swore as she went through some strange little routine that went along with it.

“That’s really not-”

“I’m so excited! We can play games and eat cake and we can do presents!” Pinkie was clearly off in her own world at this point. A world probably filled with tacky décor and sugar-induced comas from what Rarity could tell.

“I don’t-”

“Okay then, Rarity! Come to Sugarcube Corner tomorrow! It’ll be great! I Pinkie promise!” The other pony giggled again and was already hopping off before Rarity could even reply. She quickly closed the door for fear that Pinkie might come back.

Exhausted, more than she thought possible in one day, the unicorn trudged up to her new room and settled onto her bed. She hadn’t been this tired since she had made that rush delivery on bridal gowns and had stayed up for three days straight to finish it. However that was possible.

What ever have you gotten yourself into?