• Published 7th Jan 2013
  • 1,543 Views, 25 Comments

The Battle for Equestria - GhostRaz6



The Covenant have found Equestria and only the UNSC Yamato stands in the way.

  • ...
5
 25
 1,543

Chapter 2: Enter the Yamato

UNSC Colony World Aegis 1000 Hrs

As the Yamato left slip space, the whole bridge crew stood in total shock. Almost the entire planet had been glassed. Billions of souls. Dead. Admiral Stevens slammed his fist down onto the arm of his chair. The trip had only taken them a week yet they were still too slow to save the dead from their fate.

“Admiral. I’m picking up the Grim. She just exited beside us.” The ensign in charge of the sensors said looking over to him. He could see the look in her eyes. Sorrow. Most of this bridge crew had seen the tail end of the war and had seen Reach being glassed on the net. Yet, witnessing it first hand was something completely different.

“Get me a comm to the Grim’s captain,” Stevens said standing up and heading to the display screen, “and bring up the sensor scans. I want to know if the Covenant is still in-system.” As the information for the sensor readings was brought up a small video feed to the UNSC Grim Torment was opened revealing a younger looking man. His green eyes and brown hair had a calming sense to them. His face was tan as if he’d never even been on a ship a day in his life.

“Admiral. Captain Woolf reporting sir.” He snapped a salute that the admiral quickly returned. “Admiral. We’re preparing to launch fighters now to be sure there are no Covenant surprises in the area.”

“Good. Tell them to be careful out there.” Now that the prophets were no longer leading the Covenant, the Elites had become even more fanatical to the point that they were even more desperate to stop the human advance on Forerunner tech sometimes even ramming their damaged vessels into their adversaries ships. Admiral Stevens had seen a couple of times where a Covenant frigate would run itself straight into a UNSC carrier to try and stop it. As both the Yamato and Grim Torment came closer to the planet in space’s dark silence, a mushroom cloud was seen from the planet’s surface.
“Lusankya. Get me a scan of the planet’s surface.” Admiral Stevens went forward to the forward viewing platform and kept his eyes transfixed on the planet.

“Sir. Scans show a small force holed up against a larger one. Judging by the IFF tags, it’s more than likely UNSC.” Lusankya reported back in a calm tone. She had already processed how the admiral would respond and was simply waiting for him to give the order.

“Send a message to the Grim and tell them to send in Fireteam Winter.” Stevens turned back to the weapons display, checking the charge on the Super MAC gun. 55%. Hopefully, if the Covenant was still in system, there wouldn’t be any assault carriers in their battle group.


Pelican H897 en route to UNSC Outpost on Colony Aegis 1045 Hrs

Carmichael waited silently with the rest of his squad as they descended to the planet. Fireteam Winter had originally been slated to go with the UNSC Infinity but was assigned to protect the UNSC Grim Torment and the UNSC Yamato. Carmichael turned his helmet covered face to look at the rest of his squad. On his left sat the only female in the squad, Alison. He didn’t know much about her besides the fact that she almost rarely talked. That and she never removed her armor. Across from him sat Alexander and Erast. Alexander who was an ODST before joining the ranks of the Spartan - IV's, had been on Sigma Octanus IV when the Covenant had attacked. Erast came from good old Earth. Carmichael thought about his own history. His homeworld, Reach, had been glassed when he had been off assigned to a different system. He had been so angry with command that he had almost gone AWOL. The pelican kept descending down to the planet, approaching the firebase.
Carmichael opened up his comm channel to his team,"Alright. Check mags and get ready for a fight. Let's show these split jaws what we can do."

Firebase Echo Zulu, Colony Aegis 1045 Hrs

Another bolt of searing plasma splashed against the polycrete building making the building give off a cherry red appearance.

“Damn it Corporal! Fire that rocket already!” Lieutenant Greives shouted to the shaking man next to him.

“Sir, the snipers!” The corporal protested, leveling the rocket launcher on his shoulder.

“I don’t care. If the base takes another hit like that, we won’t be here to worry about snipers." It had only been 20 minutes prior since the Yamato comm-ed him and said that support was on its way. 15 minutes ago the Covenant had launched another assault on Firebase EZ. A smoldering Scorpion tank sat outside the front gate as a Wraith lobbed bolts of face melting plasma at the base from a nearby hill. At least its not that accurate, he thought. However... He looked over the lip of the bunker’s window and saw the hunter pair that had been giving them trouble. He lowered his head just in time as a beam rifle shot went through the spot where his head had just occupied. “Shit. Sergeant! Were you able to get a hold of Fox Base? We could really use their support.”

The other man holed up in the bunker, turns from the radio,”Sir, they say they’re dealing with their own assault right now. 10 until they can free up a bird to do anything.”

“We won’t be here in-” His sentence was cut off by a combined shot from the hunter pair and the Wraith as the polycrete bunker’s face is vaporized and the three men that were in there suffered the same fate.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LZ, Fireteam Winter, Colony Aegis, 15 minutes later

The Pelican lifts off after dropping off it’s four man cargo. The ravine that leads right to Firebase EZ is eerily quiet. No birds chirp from the surrounding trees. Carmichael opens a secure comm to his team,”Alison. Find a spot to cover our approach, don’t fire unless it’s an HVT or they open up on us. Let’s try and take them by surprise.” A green light in his helmet lit up as her acknowledgement came back to him. He saw her slowly fade and start blending in with the environment around them and take off heading for a cliff he had seen on their approach. “The rest of us will hike it there. We’re only a couple of klicks off.” Two more green lights appeared on his hud. Carmichael gave them the sign to follow him and they took off, hiking through the brush and trees to Firebase EZ. It was only ten minutes later when their motion trackers picked up movement on either side of the small ravine. They quickly found cover as a column of grunts led by jackals made there way out from behind a pair of rocks. They looked like they were on patrol.
Erast comm-ed to Carmichael,”Do we let them pass Mike?”
“No.” he comm-ed to Alison,”Do you see them?”
Her voice was but a whisper,”Yes.”
“On my mark. Three...” They all readied their weapons as they inched closer,”Two...”
A few feet away now,”One... Open fire.” The grunts and jackals danced in the hail of lead that was shot at them, not even having time to react. “Good job. Let’s keep moving.”

Alison, Spartan IV-498, Overlooking Firebase EZ 1110 Hrs

Alison slowly crawled up to the lip of the drop off she had chosen. It gave a good overview of the entire firebase sprawled out below. Bringing her sniper rifle in front of her, she clicked on the 5x zoom and watched the world in front of her leap forward. The base was completely over run. A burnt up Scorpion still sat in front of the base while a couple of bunkers had the fronts melted off. Poor bastards, she thought. As she lay there watching the Covenant patrols and marking them with NAV points for her team, her mind began to bring up her past life before being a Spartan and before she had joined the UNSC...

Unnamed UNSC Colony, Five years ago...

She watched in horrid fascination as her commanding officer was disemboweled in front of her. It almost looked like the elite smiled at her and took pleasure in watching her horror. As the elite slowly withdrew the sword from her commander, it turned on her. No, please no. She thought, as her grip tightened on her MA37 assault rifle. Come on move. She tried to will her body to move but she just couldn't. As the elite slowly advanced towards her a sniper shot tore through the elite’s head. As he dropped, a dark figure moved up to check the now dead elite. It wore a black helmet with a silver visor. The rest of the figure was also clad in black armor and it carried a sniper rifle with a battle rifle slung on it’s back. She had seen these guys before. UNSC ODSTs. And that’s when she recalled what side she was on. She was an Insurrectionist officer, and she had her duty. As she pulled the charging handle back on the rifle, he turned to face her, his mask unpolarized so she could see his face. He had a tan complexion and cold blue eyes. Her finger froze before she could pull the trigger. He smiled at her and said,”Come on. Let’s get out of here.”

“Alison. we’re in position.” Carmichael spoke quietly over the comm. She could see their IFF tags in the hills below.

“I’ve got you covered.” She said softly as she zoomed in on the highest ranking elite she saw and took aim. She waited for just the right moment before she squeezed the trigger.

Ponyville, Equestria 8:30 AM

Spike just stood there and watched as Twilight slowly wore a groove into the floor of the library.

“I’m sure they’ll be here soon, Twi. Don’t worry. I’m sure what you saw last night is nothing more than some hungry pony who needed that food.” Spike said trying to calm his friend down.

“Yes but the only pony we know that lives in the Everfree Forest is Zecora, and she’s not even a pony.” Twilight kept pacing as she spoke. A knock at the door came just as Twilight finished her sentence. “They’re here.” She went to go open the door for her friends. The first through her door was Rainbow Dash, a cyan colored pegasus with a rainbow colored mane and tail. Applejack followed closely behind her. The orange earth pony worked Ponyville’s local apple orchard that her family owned. “Where are the others at?” Twilight closed the door and turned to her friends.

“Well. Rarity was finishin’ up a dress, if ah remember right.” Applejack said looking to Rainbow Dash.

“Yeah, and Fluttershy was helping Pinkie Pie with Gummy.” Rainbow looked back at Applejack before looking at Twilight.

“What’s wrong with Gummy?” Twilight asked going over to one of the shelves and grabbing a book.

“Stomach ache.” Rainbow said nonchalantly. Twilight came back over to them holding the book she had grabbed with her magic. “What’s that?”

“It’s a book on all of the creatures known to Equestria and from what I saw last night... It isn’t native to Equestria.” Twilight said flipping through the pages of the book relatively quickly.

“So if it ain’t native here. It’s an-”

“-Alien?” Rainbow Dash finished Applejack’s sentence. They all stared at each other in complete silence.

“We need to go warn Zecora.” Twilight said rushing to the door. She opened the door just to have Rainbow Dash fly by her.

“Yeah. Before that alien eats her!” Rainbow flew a few feet away from Ponyville’s library. “Come on!” The group of three quickly hurried off to the Everfree Forest to warn Zecora of the alien that was hiding there. As the group rapidly approached the edge of the forest, Applejack halted the group.

“Hold up, y’all. Look at this.” Applejack pointed to a small brown package lying on the ground.
Printed on the package in bold letters was: UNSC Ration Protein Bar.

Twilight lifted the object up and examined it closely. “UNSC... What could that stand for...” She turned and looked at the Everfree Forest, still holding the protein bar up with her magic. I’ll find out soon enough, she thought.

He watched the three ponies from the edge of the forest. Careless, he thought. As the three ponies galloped into the forest, looking for him, he turned and raced into the forest back to his pod. I have to hide it before they can find it. He ducked and dodged past branches, his armor’s active camouflage barely able to keep up. As he reached his pod, he froze immediately. Standing by the downed UNSC slipspace pod, was a zebra who was currently looking through his meager stash of equipment.

Author's Note:

Sorry this one took so long guys. I couldn't get a hold of anyone to help me proof read, so please tell me about any spelling errors or grammatical errors I may have missed while looking over this. As always, comments appreciated and loved.

- Ghost