• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 835 Views, 43 Comments

The Elements of Equestria - trooper7051



Valiant has gone off on his own. An ancient evil has awakened on the far side of Equestria, nearby Valiant's destination, and threatens to devour him: body, mind, and soul. Can the combined might of the Elements of Equestria get to him in time?

  • ...
5
 43
 835

Chapter 22

Live Wire only saw them for a brief second as Twilight's flare lit up the sky on its way toward the low clouds. Black shapes in the darkness, only a few paces away, charging toward himself and the others. In an instant, his horn lit up and his spells locked into place, covering the eyes of all the other Ponies standing with him.

Dr. Mend's vision sharpened as the darkness seemed to disappear. He could see everything in muted colors, but the black creatures with open jaws and razor sharp teeth and claws distracted him from taking in the sights. He ducked down just as one creature snapped it's jaws shut above his head. He tensed his legs and raised his head as he sprang upward, cracking the jaws of the onyx nightmare closed. His momentum carried him up a full pace into the air and he lashed out with his fore hooves left then right in rapid succession. The creature shrieked like a feral animal as several of its teeth flew from its mouth, each one leaving a crimson trail in its wake.

Sea Blue sidestepped a claw swipe from a creature, spun on his fore hooves and kicked out with both of his hind legs. The Shadow Beast's injured body launched backward into the one behind it. Sea Blue recovered and turned around, performing a quick hop over a limb full of low swiping claws aiming for his legs. He stretched out his legs and landed on the clawed limb with the sickening crunch of broken bones. Sea Blue lit up his horn, picked up the Shadow Beast, and threw it back into its brethren scattering them like bowling pins.

Live Wire dodged right nimbly avoiding a horizontal claw swipe then reared up on his hind legs and used his fore hooves to continue his attacker's momentum directly into the edge of the wall next to him. The creature's head smacked into the wall with a loud crack. The creature stumbled dizzily for a moment before Live Wire leaped forward into the air. He brought his hind legs down directly over the creature's flanks, pressing them down to the ground. The little yellow therapist reached his fore hooves forward and wrapped them around his assailants neck. He rocked his weight back until his back hit the ground. He pulled up his hind legs and planted them into the creature's back and pulled with his fore hooves. using the momentum and his back legs to launch the Shadow Beast backward. The nightmare flew backward into the air, over the heads of its brethren. Live Wire rolled to the side and came back up to a fighting stance, ready for the next attacker.

Big Macintosh used his left fore hoof to stop and block the swiping claws of the creature attempting to open his neck. He reared his head back and struck the creature with his forehead with the sound of a resounding crack. The creature staggered for a brief half a second until the massive stallion's rear hooves struck it's chest with a sickening crunch. The creature flew backward like a rag doll shot from the barrel of a gun. It hit and knocked over more than a dozen others behind it, scattering them like bowling pins.

* * *

'WHAT!?' the Rainbow of Darkness shrieked, 'It's not possible! It's ridiculous! It's inconceivable! No Pony should be able to withstand the power of the Shadow Beast!'

Searcher held back a sigh of relief, 'At least they're holding their own for now.' his worry returned in full force as he looked at the so called Champions standing around him, 'Once they enter the fight though, it won't take long to finish.'

Birdie was all but vibrating with anticipation for the fight.

'Take to the walls and roof!' the Rainbow of Darkness ordered, 'They will surely fall. Nopony can fight a battle on so many fronts!' it seethed in anger, 'I cannot hold onto the clouds any longer. Birdie!'

Birdie's eyes shifted from the fight to Searcher,
"Yes Master?" she asked.

'Fly up above the clouds and wait for those two other Pegasi. That flare had to have been a signal of some kind. Those two are flagging badly. Once you spot them, swoop down and bring death down upon their heads.'

Birdie smiled a psychotic, fang filled smile and leaped into the air, flying straight up.

* * *

Trooper and Dash were already exhausted despite the nap they had taken earlier. They were a few dozen flaps away from the dissipating clouds when a brilliant flare streaked upward from the ground below and exploded in a cascade of sound and light. The brilliant flash and deafening report of the explosion disoriented the two Pegasi badly. On the plus side, thanks to both of them having been trained on how to deal with lightning and thunder, which could blind or deafen any Pegasus, the two of the froze in mid air, hovering and waiting for their senses to return.

It took several seconds for their senses to return enough to communicate,
"I dare say that could only have been Twilight!" Trooper bellowed through the ringing in his ears.

Dash wriggled her right fore hoof in her ear vigorously and blinked away some of the spots obscuring her vision,
"Naw, you think!?" she withdrew her hoof from her ear and flew up alongside Trooper, "At least we know where they . . . "

Dash trailed off looking at something beyond Trooper. Trooper, always in the habit of looking others in the eyes, saw a pitch black outline reflected in Dashes eyes, 'That is not a blind spot!'. He spun on the wing and lashed out with both his right legs, calling forth his armor in an instant. His hooves met only air as his assailant back winged and raked its claws against his armored back as he followed through with his spin.

He caught only a brief glimpse of his attacker. A jet black outline of a creature with long claws, sharp teeth, and wispy mane and tail. Trooper strained his muscles to correct his orientation but failed to see the lightning quick claws that caught him in the left side of his jaw, flaying open his cheek below his helmet. Ignoring the numbing shock of his facial trauma, he struck out with his right forehoof. The creature rolled with the hit and the two of them began striking at each other too quickly for even Trooper's own eyes to follow. Trooper was hard pressed just to block the attacks. He didn't have time to plot out his tactics. He could only respond with his reflexes, constantly on the defensive.

Trooper coughed hoarsely as he fought,
"Get to the others!" he shouted, "Find them quickly! I don't know how long I can keep this up!"

Dash turned to fly toward Haysburg. Trooper's words had distracted him enough for the Shadow Beast to plant a claw against his side. Birdie's claws were halted by his armor, but the incredible force of the blow knocked the wind out of him and spun him into a disoriented free-fall. The Shadow Beast oriented on Dash and charged after her with incredible speed. Dash, weakened though she was, flew like a meteor and the creature followed her, hot on her tail. Weak or not, exhausted or not, there was no living being that was faster than Rainbow Dash on the wing. Dash was fast, faster than fast, but her stamina was short lived and she felt herself weakening quickly.

Her wing strokes began to slow and Birdie began closing the distance between them with frightening speed. The corrupted, mutated Pegasus reached out her claws, ready to tear into the unprotected back of the cyan mare. Dash turned her head and saw Birdie closing in on her. Pivoting in the air, Dash turned to face her attacker. She knew she wouldn't stand a chance if the Shadow Beast's claws connected with her skin. This was obviously not a normal foe so she decided to use an abnormal tactic. In the blink of an eye she spun back around and kicked both her hind legs out. Birdie saw the attack coming and raised her elevation to strike at Dash's back. It was exactly what Rainbow Dash hoped for.

She brought both her wings upward in an instant and slapped a wing on either side of Birdie's head effectively boxing her ears. The hit connected and Birdie was stunned for a brief blessed moment. Dash took off again, flying downward toward her friends. Birdie quickly shook off her disorientation and flew after Dash again. She never noticed Trooper coming barreling in from her right.

He threw out his shoulder and collided with Birdie, knocking her to the side, spinning her like a top. Not wasting his momentum, he charged in, toward Birdie, flying for all he was worth. Birdie righted herself faster than any creature should have been able to, just in time to meet Trooper's attack head-on. The two of them dissolved into a nearly invisible flurry of flailing hooves, claws, teeth, and wings. Trooper allowed himself no other distractions and focused entirely on his foe as Birdie felt the thrill of her berserker rage kick in. He couldn't afford to worry about Dash, he had done what he could, she was on her own.

* * *

The Shadow Beasts pressed their attack against the four stallions, coming in twos and threes at a time, shoulder to shoulder, trying to get at them. Big Mac turned in place and kicked out catching two separate Shadow Beasts in the chests and flinging them backward. Unfortunately he didn't see the one above him drop from the roof, aiming for his back. Half a second before it struck, a lasso streaked out of the darkness from behind the muscular red stallion and caught the Shadow Beast around the neck. The lasso pulled tight and hauled the creature back into the darkness. Half a second later it flew back over Big Mac's head with a disgruntled squawk, propelled by Applejack' well-toned hind legs.

"Ain't nothin' an' Ah mean nothin' gonna get away with a sneaky move like that against one Apple when there's TWO o' us around!" Applejack hollered loudly, lasso circling around above her head, held by her long, dexterous tail, "Ah ain't lettin' one bum leg stop me! Granny Smith got a bum hip an' she'd STILL kick yall's sorry flanks!"

Dr. Mend kicked a Shadow Beast in the jaw with a resulting shower of flying teeth, only to see a second one leaping over his head. The world seemed to slow down as it passed directly over his head. He bunched up his legs and sprang upward, fore hooves aimed at the underside of its jaw. His fore hooves hit like a jackhammer and the Shadow Beast's head snapped back. Its back legs dipped toward the ground as the blow to its head altered its trajectory in the air. Flexing his stomach muscles, he brought his hind legs forward, coiled his muscles, and planted them against the creature's stomach in a powerful double kick. His back legs snapped out and the Shadow Beast went flying back like a catapult stone. Dr. Mend landed on the back of a third creature that had attempted to duck past him, crushing it to the ground with his hard hooves. He looked up just in time to see a fourth one leap in and land right between he and Sea Blue.

When it's clawed feet hit the ground, a rude sound of flatulence made it look down in puzzled distraction. A whoopee cushion lay flattened by its right fore leg. It looked up in confusion and came face to muzzle with the bane of boring gatherings everywhere: Pinkie Pie's Party Cannon. The creature's ears drooped, it's eyes widened, and it let out a pathetic whimper just before the patriarch of perfect party preparation plastered it's particularly pained and puzzled puss backward in an explosion of confetti and streamers.

Ears ringing from the report of the Party Cannon, Sea Blue lowered his head beneath a pair of biting jaws and gored a Shadow Beast in the shoulder. With his horn still inside it's flesh, he channeled his magic into his horn and blasted the thing backward releasing a bolt of force into its flesh. He shook his head and quickly cast a spell to deaden sound on both his ears and those of Dr. Mend. He looked up too late to counter the swinging claws of the Shadow Beast right in front of him. A long yellow scarf wrapped itself around the claw and pulled it into over extending it's swing, missing Sea Blue by a hair. Not wasting any time, the turquoise stallion spun in place and kicked out his hind legs. The kick snapped the Shadow Beast's limb to the accompanying sound of shattering bone. Rarity stepped up next to Sea Blue, levitating a selection of eight gems of different colors, the yellow silk scarf, and a bottle of . . .

"Hairspray!?" Sea Blue asked aghast.

Rarity shot one of the gems forward, striking a Shadow Beast in the chest,
"Have you even had hairspray in your eyes darling?" she asked primly, "It positively burns!" as if to prove her point, she levitated the hairspray bottle forward quickly and squirted a Shadow Beast in the face with it.

The creature screeched and began pawing at its eyes while Rarity shot Sea Blue a smug look,
"See?" she looked back at the thing as Sea Blue grasped a Shadow Creature with his magic and threw it backward, "Honestly darling, I ALMOST feel sorry for the thing." seven more gems detached from the group floating around Rarity and began pummeling a Shadow Beast like a quick, featherweight fighter.

Live Wire was pressed to his physical limit. He ducked and spun and kicked and cast spells as quickly as his over clocked brain would allow, but it still wasn't enough. He fought five enemies simultaneously, but he was constantly on the defensive. He couldn't find the time to land a single hit of his own and he was steadily accumulating an impressive number of shallow scratches from close calls. A quintet of lavender force bolts struck the three Shadow Beasts, throwing them back into the crowd of their ilk. Live Wire was nearing exhaustion as Twilight stepped up next to him, horn glowing. Side by side, the two Unicorn's brought their magic to bear on the enemy.

Fluttershy watched her friends fighting, in horror. It was terrible, 'So much violence!' her mind shouted, 'I don't know how to fight!' another loud crunch of bones reached her ears and she cringed, feeling sick, 'I can't do this! I'm sorry everypony, but I can't do this!'

A loud chorus of screeched hunting cries filled the air as the Gryphons charged into the side ranks of the Shadow Beasts. Natural born predator met mutated monstrosity in a terrifying jumble of talons, claws, beaks, and teeth as the Gryphons ripped into the back ranks of the Shadow Beasts with reckless abandon.

* * *

'Aha!' the Rainbow of Darkness crowed in delight, 'Their trump is thrown! Victory was in question but with their allies keeping my minions busy, the Ponies will surely feel their victory is assured!'

Searcher could feel that the Rainbow of Darkness was straining it's power keeping the citizens of Haysburg from seeing what they had become. Every time one of them saw another, it had to reassert it's control and the strain was growing.

'Now my Champions! Crush the Elements! Colossus, take the big red one. Miller, destroy the turquoise stallion. Surf & Turf, the old black stallion is yours. Triage, Trauma, the little yellow one is trouble, annihilate him. Tinker, Valiant, take care of the mares while the others enjoy their play time!'

* * *

With the Gryphons occupying the Shadow Beasts, the Elements of Equestria could finally take a breather. The stallions were tired and panting heavily and the mares were with them, offering water, while Dr. Mend worked on trying to disinfect the plethora of small cuts he and his friends had accumulated.

The ground suddenly vibrated from an impact tremor and the Ponies looked away from each other, toward the origin of the sound. An incredibly massive Shadow Beast charged right into their midst, violently tossing Dr. Mend, Rarity, Sea Blue, and Twilight into the walls of the house. Its charge carried it to the rear wall of the house and through it in an explosion of splinters. The house shook violently from the damage, a third of its back wall torn away.

"TWITCHY TAIL!" Pinkie cried loudly, "TWITCHY TAIL!"

"The house is going to collapse!" Dr. Mend yelled.

Dr. Mend bit onto Rarity's tail and hauled her out from under the collapsing house as Live Wire levitated Twilight and Fluttershy, Big Mac hefted Applejack, and Sea Blue moved to grab Pinkie, only to find her already with the others. He managed to get out from under the house as it collapsed almost on top of him.

Live Wire was almost frantic as he nudged Twilight's bleeding head with his muzzle,
"Twilight! Twilight wake up! Please wake up!"

Rarity was in no better situation. Both of her hind legs were twisted at unnatural angles, but thankfully she was unconscious as well. Dr. Mend was having trouble breathing, he was certain that at least three of his ribs were broken. By some miracle, Sea Blue was unharmed.

"Twilight hit her head against a wall when that big one charged in!" Dr. Mend yelled trying to rise and see to the unconscious mare.

"We'll now," a husky feminine voice spoke behind Mend, "That's rather convenient for us now isn't it."

The battered Elements of Equestria turned to face the new threats. These Shadow Beasts seemed different. Triage and Trauma stalked, side by side around Live Wire as he stood protectively over Twilight's unconscious body and Fluttershy moved about, using him as an equine shield against the twins. Miller paced back and forth in front of Sea Blue like a stalking lion while the turquoise stallion stood interposed between Rarity and the newest threat. Surf chuckled to himself and pranced in place, doing a little happy dance in anticipation of the fight to come. He suddenly jumped into the air and lashed out at the air with his hooks, performing a frighteningly deft display of graceful swipes with the hooks that extended from his forehooves. Surf landed and threw Dr. Mend a huge, toothy grin as he continued to prance lightly. Tinker and Valiant circled Applejack and Big Mac leering at them greedily.

Dr. Mend's mind grew grim and determined as he prepared to summon his armor,
"Stay back!" he snarled.

"Ohh, a feisty one." Tinker purred sliding her long split tongue over her fangs, "I'm going to enjoy this."

The clouds above finally dissipated enough for moonlight to stream down on the Ponies and monsters preparing to fight. A glint of light, reflected from Trauma's right fore leg, caught Fluttershy attention, 'A gold band.' her mind flooded with the dreams she had about Valiant. Suddenly Molasses' words made sense, 'The bands!'

"Break their gold leg bands!" Fluttershy cried.

A flicker of motion caught her eye and she turned toward one of the Shadow Beasts circling Applejack and Big Macintosh, it looked familiar somehow, there was something about it that tickled at her memory. There was something about its walk, the way it held itself and suddenly it struck her, she had seen this particular one in her dreams.

She covered her mouth with her forehooves as the weight of her realization hit her full-force,
"V . . . Valiant?" she asked, eyes stinging from sudden, gathering tears, "No," she whimpered, "No it isn't true! It can't be!"

* * *

'She knows him?' Searcher wondered.

'She knows him?' the Rainbow of Darkness wondered, 'He heard her.' it said in quiet disbelief, then louder, 'He heard her!' it repeated its realization, 'HE HEARD HER! Stop listening to her!' it shrieked, 'Attack! Kill her now!'

* * *

Valiant heard the command, but something seemed off, 'She seems familiar.' he puzzled, 'There's something about her . . . '

'KILL HER!' the Rainbow of Darkness screamed in his mind, it smashed the budding recognition back into submission, 'KILL HER NOW!'

Valiant blurred into action, charging toward the gentle Pegasus mare.

* * *

Everything happened at once.

Triage and Trauma both simultaneously charged Live Wire.

Surf charged Dr. Mend.

Miller charged Sea Blue.

Colossus emerged from an alleyway and charged Big Macintosh.

Tinker charged Applejack.

Valiant charged Fluttershy.

The Elements of Peace summoned their armor.

And Rainbow Dash smashed hard into Tinkers side like a prismatic wrecking ball.

Dash's momentum was so great that the force of her flight picked up Tinker and plastered both mares into the side of a nearby stone building in a small explosion of shattered rock.

Sea Blue and Miller collided, shoulder to shoulder then reared back, and began beating and clawing wildly at one another. Sea Blue scored a wicked hit on Miller with his right forehoof. Sea Blue, strengthened by his armor, shattered Miller's skull and jaw. Bone, teeth, blood, and brain flew in a spray or gore as Miller collapsed in a heap, dead from a single hit. Sea Blue lowered himself back down and stared at the body in abject horror. His horror turned into utter, disbelieving shock as Miller's head and jaw knit itself back together before his very eyes.

Miller slowly stood up, cracked his neck, and opened his eyes wearing an evil smile, as Sea Blue stepped back,
"Aw come on! That's not fair!."

Live Wire ducked a beam of black colored magic from Trauma as it sliced through the air where his head had been a split second before. Triage came at him from the left side before he could recover and body-checked him away from Twilight. The force of the blow was great enough to toss him into the air. He twisted in mid-air and channeled magic through his horn. A beam of yellow magic streaked out from him and connected with Triage. He pulled and reeled the two of them together like magnets and struck out with all four legs, sending her skidding and rolling on the cobblestones. Trauma looked up from where she was about to tear into Twilight's neck, and took a yellow horn to her side. Live Wire charged his magic and blasted her away, into the pile of rubble that had been a house. He had only a brief moment of respite before the twins picked themselves up and attacked him again.

Dr. Mend forced his body to obey him, even through the pain of his broken ribs. Surf & Turf swung his right fore leg out, extending the hook toward Mend's head. Dr. Mend ducked only to be swept off both his fore legs by Surf's other hook. Pushing his advantage, Surf leaped into the air, both hooks extended to pierced Mend's back and neck. Mend darted forward and leaped, using his head to slam into Surf's rib cage. The power behind Mend's attack launched Surf high into the air, but a quick shift of his body extended his hang glider. Surf halted his flight and came streaking back toward Mend like an arrow.

Colossus charged into Big Macintosh like a runaway locomotive. He swiped at the armored stallion time after time, raining down blows that Big Mac ducked, dodged, bobbed, and weaved around.

Swipe
"Nope."

Miss

Swipe
"Nope."

Miss

Swipe
"Nope."

Miss

Swipe
"Nope."

Miss

Colossus left small openings with each swipe of his claws, but Big Mac kept waiting until he saw a solid opening so he could try to destroy the gold band. He jumped and rolled, always moving, never blocking. He knew that a single solid hit from the gargantuan monster would probably leave his sister unguarded.

Swipe
"Nope."

Miss

Swipe
"Nope." he saw the feint too late.

SMEAR

A single hit connected with the side of Big Mac's armored head. The unfathomable power behind the blow sent the red Earth Pony flying through the air trailing blood like a streaming crimson banner. Big Mac hit the side of a wooden framed business and went right through the wall amidst a shower of splintered cedar.

Applejack looked on, trying to coax on the red stallion,
"Come on big brother!" she cheered, "Ah know yall ain't gonna let somethin' like that keep ya down!" as she stared at the hole in the building she fervently hoped she was right.

Her fears were made manifest when the building started to shake and crumple a few seconds later,
"Big Mac!" Applejack limped toward the building as quickly as she could manage, "Hang in there!" she grunted in pain, "Ah'm commin'!"

Her heart soared as she saw the silhouette of her older brother rise from the debris inside. He had only just barely stood up when the entire building collapsed down on top of him.

* * *

'YES!' the Rainbow of Darkness crowed triumphantly, 'That armor was an unexpected surprise but in the end it STILL didn't matter! Now Colossus, kill the orange mare!'

* * *

Trooper was beyond tired. He was beyond spent. He was beyond exhausted. His fight with Birdie continued unabated, her strength and stamina seemed to know no bounds. She never flagged or slowed, she was relentless as a hurricane. Trooper knew he had only a matter of minutes at best before his strength failed him completely. Feeling desperation's icy grip, he resolved himself to desperate measures, 'If I am to land a blow, I will have to take some as well.'

He back-winged and changed tactics as Birdie pressed her offensive. From that point onward in their fight, every time she struck him, he struck her back.

* * *

Live Wire was blur of legs and spells as he fought Triage and Trauma at the same time, trying time and time again to get at those damnable gold bands. Triage charged up her horn to cast a spell at him and he responded by kicking her horn. Trauma tried to bite his neck and he responded by firing a blast of energy directly into her toothy maw. He tried to lash out with his left fore leg to hit Trauma with a follow up, but Triage's jaws suddenly clamped down around said leg. The teeth of her upper jaw were halted by the armor while the teeth of her lower jaw sliced through his flesh like razors through a sheet.

Searing pain lanced up his leg and he brought his right fore leg down on the top of her head in rapid succession, trying to dislodge her. He struck: once, twice, three times, four times before she pulled backward on his leg. The force threw him off balance and he toppled, chest first, onto the cobblestone road. Trauma, now recovered, leaped onto his back and bit down on his horn. The little therapist howled in agony as her teeth ground back and forth against his hypersensitive magical appendage.

Sea Blue was beginning to tire. No matter how many times he seemed to kill his foe, the Shadow Beast just kept regenerating. He had crushed its skull, snapped its neck, broken its back, stomped clean through its rib cage, and even shattered its pelvis and unmentionables with a hefty double kick, but it just wouldn't stay down. He knew that at the rate he was going he would tire himself out long before he won. Deciding to try a new tactic, he charged forward in a streak of motion and gored Miller through the left eye with his horn. Miller went limp as the horn pierced his brain and killed him... again. Sea Blue charged up his horn and created a bubble of force inside Miller's skull. He flooded more and more magic into Miller's brain cavity, expanding it and applying pressure to the skull itself. Miller's brain matter oozed out of his ears, nose, and around Sea Blue's horn. The Unicorn stallion closed his eyes and gritted his teeth as he poured every last vestige of his will into the spell.

Miller's head exploded in a fine red and gray mist and his body toppled over limply. Sea Blue moved quickly and held his right fore hoof directly over the gold band, waiting for Miller to regenerate before he destroyed the thing.

Colossus closed on Applejack while the orange farm mare frantically tried to stay away from the giant behind her, however with only three working hooves, it was a losing battle. Colossus was enjoying the anticipation far too much. He moved slowly, despite the constant urging of the Rainbow of Darkness in the back of his mind. He was going to savor every moment right up until he crushed her skull in his jaws. His mouth watered at the thought of how he would feast on her flesh.

Rainbow Dash heaved herself out of the small crater that formed when she and Tinker hit the wall. Tinker lay, twitching in the crater and Dash felt a small sense of satisfaction. Her wings were sore and she felt confident enough to say she wouldn't be flying for the rest of the night. Her limbs felt like lead as she dropped the four paces from the wall to the cobblestone street below. Her legs were too weak to catch her as she hit the ground and she landed on her chest with a loud huff. She grunted as she managed to get her hooves under herself slowly. Her ears suddenly registered a cacophony of sound right in front of her and she raised her head to see what was going on. Eyes blurred and unable to focus properly saw flashes of white, brown, and black wiggling around in front of her. She shook her head to clear her vision and looked again.

A Gryphon and a creature nearly identical to the one that attacked her and Trooper, were grappling and rolling around on the ground. From what she could tell, it looked to be an even match. The Gryphons snapped its beak closed around the creature's shoulder and pulled on its rubbery skin while the Shadow Beast' chomped down on the Gryphon's neck and ended up with a maw full of brown feathers without actually biting into flesh. The front and hind legs of the two of them clawed and sliced at each other's chests and bellies as they rolled about on the cobblestones.

Dash grunted hard and stood up completely, the effort staggered her. She raised her head and saw more than a hundred other examples of the same thing, as Gryphons and Shadow Beasts bit and clawed each other all around the Town Square. Dash stumbled forward and began drunkenly weaving her way through the groups of combatants. They occasionally bumped into her, too busy to notice the dazed mare trying to get through. Dash could see her friends and she knew they needed help.

Dr. Mend howled in pain as the hook on Surf's right fore leg pierced between the bands of his armor and into his left shoulder. The hook penetrated through the muscle and curved around behind Mend's shoulder bone. Surf's left hook was lying eight paces away, broken by a solid double kick from the good doctor. Mend was in dire straights, his right ear was shredded thanks to an earlier bite from his opponent, his shoulder burned from the hook embedded in it, and his ribs were aching terribly. He knew he had to end the fight as quickly as possible, but his foe wore the golden band on his left hind leg and Mend simply could not get at it. Surf was too willy. Every time Mend managed to throw him off or beat him back, Surf came back at him from a new angle.

Thinking quickly and gritting his teeth, Mend turned his body. His shoulder sent jolts of agony through him as he turned around completely. His back was to Surf and he leaped backward forcing the hook out of his shoulder and slamming into Surf with his armored back. Surf & Turf floated backward, his still extended glider catching him and slowing his momentum. Dr. Mend turned back to face his enemy just in time to see Surf dislodge a head-sized cobblestone with his hook, toss it into the air then spin and kick it toward the him. Mend couldn't react quickly enough and the cobblestone struck his muzzle like a splitting wedge being driven into a chord of wood. The bones in his muzzle shattered, spraying his teeth and blood in all directions. Mend tried to scream but it only came out as a harsh, squealing gurgle as blood gushed from his face. His eyes watered and his vision blurred from the tears. He could only just barely make out Surf's form in the dim moonlight. The black stallion sagged and fell to his knees, nearly rolling onto his side.

* * *

'Yes! They are falling! One by one they will fall and my minions will feast!' the Rainbow of Darkness cheered, 'Quickly!' it urged, 'Finish them off!'

* * *

Fluttershy widened her stance and stood her ground as Valiant charged her roaring like a feral animal. He swung out with his right foreleg, intent on tearing open her face. The world slowed down as Fluttershy ducked to her left. She leaned back on her hind legs using her wings for stability, and applied her forehooves to Valiant's swinging limb, and guided him past her harmlessly.

Valiant skidded away, trying to use his legs to stop himself. He stabilized and spun around, leaping toward Fluttershy in a full-on pounce. Fluttershy tucked her wings tightly to her sides and rolled forward, under Valiant's pounce. Valiant hit the ground and turned toward her again, his claws scraping pieces out of the cobblestones. He charged back in toward Fluttershy swiping his claws wildly. Try as he might to score a hit, Fluttershy's body seemed to bend like a Reed in the wind. She seemed to flow around and under each and every attack like a dancer in a ballet performance. Her movements were smooth and fluid and no matter how he tried, Valiant could not touch her. He opened his mouth to try to bite her, but she skipped away smoothly before his mouth was even completely open.

She had tried to get a grip on the golden band around his left fore leg but she had to stay on the defensive or else risk him killing her. She knew, unarmored as she was, that he only needed to hit her once and it would all be over.

* * *

Applejack tripped on a stone and reflexively tried to catch herself with her bad leg. The sturdy farm mare screamed as the pressure re-broke the bone and pushed the broken tip right through her skin. She fell to the ground eyes streaming tears of pain and turned her head. Colossus was standing over her, jaws agape and ready to crush her. As he stepped forward to finish her off, he put his claw down and made a flatulent noise. Puzzled, he raised his leg and saw a whoopee cushion there on the ground.

"Say UGLY!" Pinkie Pie chirped behind him.

Colossus turned his head and caught a blast of confetti and streamers to the face. He blinked in annoyance and raised a claw to swipe at the Party Cannon. Before he could make the hit connect though, an explosion of wooden splinters assaulted the back of his turned head. He turned back around just in time to see a thoroughly pissed Big Macintosh come charging at him through the cloud of debris.

The armored stallion hit Colossus square in the chest with a thunderclap of shattering bones. Colossus flew into the air, trailing blood, but Big Mac wasn't done yet. Keeping his momentum, he sprang into the air and landed on Colossus then began pummeling him mercilessly with his armored hooves, cracking and splintering bones with every hit. Colossus clawed at the hugely muscled stallion, but his claws scraped harmlessly against Big Macintosh's armored back.

Big Mac tensed his legs as the ground came up, waiting for the right moment. Colossus hit the ground and Big Mac stomped down, laughing himself off his enemy and leaving Colossus winded and wheezing.

* * *

Live Wire struggled against Tinker and Trauma but they held him firm. His horn burned with agony as Trauma continued chewing on it, and Triage shook her head from side to side, worrying his leg. Live Wire's eyes watered from the pain as the blood from his leg spilled out onto the ground. He was so tired. Fighting off two such enemies at once had been all but impossible. He couldn't see Trauma directly and Tinker was thrashing his leg back and forth, but those golden bands were reflectively shiny. Within that shiny metal, he could see Trauma chewing on his horn and more importantly he could see the golden band on her left foreleg. He hurt with pain beyond pain, but he had to wait and patience was something he was good with. Triage would have to stop tearing at his leg eventually and that would give him an opening. He focused through the pain, and began calculating trajectories.

* * *

Fluttershy danced back, away from Valiant. She spun and ducked away from every one of his attacks. She wasn't a fighter of any sort and she knew it, she didn't want to be either, however she was getting very upset, 'Look at him.' she thought, pitying Valiant, 'He's been through so much. Why can't he be left alone?' She felt her anger rising as the golden band flashed through her vision, 'He doesn't deserve this! He's been hurt so many times!' her eyes focused on the golden band on his leg as he swiped his claws at her again, 'YOU!' She thought as she danced nimbly away from the attack, 'You're what's making him do this! It's your fault!' She dodged another claw swipe, 'It's your fault!' he came at her in a pounce and she rolled to the left, 'It's your fault!' she looked into Valiant's eyes and couldn't even recognize who she saw there, 'IT'S YOUR FAULT!'

Fluttershy dodged once more and just stopped. She turned her head toward Valiant, tears streaming down her kind face as she felt the strength of her will surge within her.

She locked her legs and stared defiantly up at the 'Shadow Beast' as her eyes locked with his,
"STOP!" the words seemed to rip themselves from her mouth with a physical force.

Valiant landed half an inch from her, ready to bite down, but his body froze as he took the full force of The Stare at point blank range.

* * *

'Kill her! What are you doing!? Kill her! KILL HER!' the Rainbow of Darkness ordered vehemently.

* * *

Valiant's muscles quivered, straining to move, but his body was held in place by the insurmountable force of will crushing down against his own. Keeping her eyes locked with his, Fluttershy raised her right fore hoof, planted it atop the golden band, and pushed down with all her weight.

The golden band stuck for a moment, but Fluttershy wedged her hoof around to the inside of it and it slipped off, ringing against the cobblestones as it hit the ground.

"Now," Fluttershy ordered firmly, "Step out of the band."

* * *

'NO!' the Rainbow of Darkness shrieked in disbelief, 'I ORDER YOU TO PUT THE BAND BACK ON! PUT IT ON!'

* * *

Muscles straining as Fluttershy matched wills with the Rainbow of Darkness, Valiant stepped out of the golden band. His body shimmered and his coat returned to its normal color, his mind becoming his own once more. He kept his eyes locked with Fluttershy, recognizing her for the first time. Relief flooded through every inch of his body and mind. Seeing her tear-stained face, one of the first he associated with kindness, he raised his leg and stamped his hoof down, shattering the golden band to pieces.

* * *

'. . . . . . . . . no . . . . . . . . No!' the Rainbow of Darkness screamed, 'NO! KILL THEM! KILL THEM ALL! I ORDER YOU TO KILL THEM ALL!'

* * *

Miller regenerated fully and opened his eyes.

Sea Blue smiled,
"Good bye." his hoof descended and crushed the golden band into pieces.

* * *

Triage stopped thrashing Live Wire's leg to adjust her grip and the little yellow Unicorn finalized his calculations of Trauma's position on his back, 'Angle fifteen degrees, elevation thirty-three degrees, Y-axis twenty-six degrees, X-axis nineteen degrees . . . ' his vision narrowed to laser-like focus and he suddenly twisted his head, scraping his sensitive horn against Trauma's sharp teeth. His horn struck her front teeth and broke through them as he lowered his head, horn already charging and fired off a single, short beam of white-hot energy.

The beam struck Triage's golden band. The beam hit the band, but the material reflected it as the metal super-heated, sending half of it up, directly into Trauma's leg band. Both bands melted at almost simultaneously.

* * *

Surf dashed forward and swung his right hook at the top of Mend's head. In a blur of motion, the older black stallion hopped upright, imitating a move he had seen Pinkie perform. He rolled forward and sprang upward, directly under Surf's left hind leg. With his vision blurred as it was, Mend could not simply strike out at the band, so instead he wrapped both his fore hooves around Surf's leg and rolled his body forward. Surf's hang glider, pulled from the wrong direction, split in twain as a wing snapped off. Mend's hind legs hit the cobblestones and he tensed his stomach muscles then threw his body forward, curling his head toward his own stomach and rolling onto the road with Surf against his back. Surf's whole body hit the cobblestones, shattering bones galore. The blow shattered bones and one gold colored leg band.

* * *

Big Macintosh, still not satisfied that Colossus would stay down, charged back toward where his foe was staggering to his feet. Big Mac applied his forehooves to the rough cobblestones and used his momentum to swing his body around so that his flank was toward Colossus. Still moving backward as his momentum carried him, he lashed out repeatedly with each hind leg in rapid succession, shattering bones, snapping tendons, and pulping muscle and flesh alike. He pulled both his hind legs back and bucked like he would against an oak tree.

Both hooves connected with Colossus' head and the Shadow Beast went tumbling backward, tail over tea kettle knocking over Gryphons and Shadow Beasts like bowling pins. Big Mac lowered his head and scuffed at the cobblestones with his right forehoof. He charged right down the clear pathway through the fighting creatures and leaped high into the air. He spun and twisted wildly in the air, maneuvering himself into the right pose.

Colossus cracked open his eyes and looked up just in time to see Big Mac strike down with all four hooves simultaneously, like a meteor from the cosmos. He landed directly on the golden colored band, shattering both it and the leg it was attached to.

* * *

Trooper and Birdie fought upright, chests and stomachs facing each other as they struck and clawed wildly. Trooper was slowing down, but Birdie kept right on going. Blood flowed freely from dozens of cuts in his body. In his mind, he knew he was losing the fight. His hits came slower and slower and his muscles moved sluggishly. His mind was quickly going numb with the fog of exhaustion and from blood loss. His only hope was that Dash had succeeded in reaching the others, for he knew his time was short.

Birdie was a complete berserker against whom Trooper could no longer stand. The gold band on her left fore leg had taunted and distracted him for the entire fight and with his sense of logic waning, he determined to be rid of the accursed thing. He intentionally left himself open, knowing Birdie would take advantage of it, and struck out against the golden colored band with the last vestiges of his strength.

His aim proved true and his shod hoof shattered the reflective abomination.

In a few seconds, Birdie was back to her normal self. She vaguely remembered fighting Trooper, but she had no idea why she had done so. The armored stallion looked down to assess his injuries and gaped in shock. His forelegs and hindlegs were nearly bereft of skin, revealing shredded muscle beneath. His chest showed gashes, rents, and tears where his flesh had been all but peeled from his bones. His face burned with fiery agony and he could feel small rivers of blood soaking down his cheeks, neck, and under his armor. His underbelly looked the worst though. Deep gashes in his flesh showed bits of intestine poking through and his sheath and scrotum were cut deeply, likely making him a eunuch.

He looked back up to see the face of the one who had dealt him so much physical punishment, but before he could, his vision went black and he tumbled through the sky in a completely uncontrolled free-fall.

Birdie, not knowing what else to do, swooped in and caught Trooper under his forelegs, his blood making her grip slippery. She slowly flew downward, trying to remember why she had fought him.

* * *

The Rainbow of Darkness was infuriated, 'Oh FINE!' it said angrily, 'If you want something done right, you have do it yourself!'

It withdrew all of its remaining power and influence from its minions and pulled it all into the body of its host. Searcher's already mutated body grew immensely as the Rainbow Of Darkness gorged itself on the power. Searcher's limbs lengthened and his horn grew in length as muscles bunched beneath his skin.

In the back of Searcher's mind, he realized what was going on, 'Now is my chance . . . ' his thought was cut off as the Rainbow of Darkness pushed his mind aside and took control of Searcher's body.

Searcher railed against the overpowering force arrayed against him, 'NO! I CAN'T LET THIS HAPPEN! NO!'

* * *

Valiant embraced Fluttershy in disbelief,
"Fluttershy?" he whispered, "A . . . am I dreaming?"

She shook her head hugging him back,
"No dream Valiant." she whispered, "It's really me." she turned and gestured to the others, "In fact, it's all of us."

Valiant looked around at his friends lying in the street. Twilight had a gash on the left side of head and was only just beginning to stir. Live Wire stood protectively over her, favoring his bleeding left fore leg. Sea Blue looked dirty, bruised, and battered, but mostly hale of health. Rarity was slowly coming to, her hind legs obviously dislocated at her hips. Dr. Mend was sitting down on the road fumbling with bandages and trying to do something about his mangled face. Big Macintosh was carrying Applejack toward the rest of the group while she lay on his shoulders whimpering and breathing heavily. Rainbow Dash slowly stalked up on unsteady legs and collapsed next to Twilight, while Pinkie Pie was laying out a blanket and looking up at the sky. Valiant curiously followed Pinkie's line of sight and gasped.

Birdie, struggling to stay aloft, was flying Trooper down toward the blanket. Valiant's eyes watered as he took in the condition of his dramatic friend. Trooper looked like he should have been dead. His blood ran down every part of his body and the blanket Pinkie had laid out was already wet with blood. Fluttershy saw Trooper and instantly fell to the ground in shock.

Valiant was in shock as well. He slumped down to the ground with Fluttershy and something around his neck softly bumped his chest. He looked down and saw the rabbit's foot Fluttershy had given him when he left Ponyville. His memory sparked to life and he remembered something vital, 'The rabbit's foot has a doze of my healing potion inside it.'

Scrambling to his hooves, Valiant dashed over to Trooper. He skidded to a stop, amazed to see his friend was still breathing, reached his right forehoof up and pulled the rabbit's foot off his neck. Carefully unscrewing the top, he pried Trooper's jaw open and poured the potion down his throat. Trooper's throat bobbed as he swallowed the liquid.

Motivated by Valiant's actions, Fluttershy rose to her hooves and darted over to Dr. Mend,
"E . . . excuse me Dr. Mend," she said as she nosed into his saddlebags, "I need some of Valiant's healing potion."

Dr. Mend mumbled something unintelligible that Fluttershy took to mean, 'It'll be a miracle if they're not all broken.' She nosed in and pulled out a blanket then set it on the cobblestones, still folded, then stuck her muzzle back into the bags. Pinkie came up on Mend's other side and began nosing around in the bag opposite from Fluttershy. Pinkie pulled out a small glass bottle filled with clear liquid and a syringe. She poked the syringe needle into the gray rubber covering the mouth of the little bottle.

"How much of this... morphine do you think you need Dr. Mendie?" Pinkie asked.

"Fpbpty pbpb'pb." he slurred through his broken teeth and shattered jaw.

"Okie dokie lokie, forty CCs." Pinkie said, "And after that, I'll give you a nice big dose of the healing potion too. But first," she said as she plunged the syringe into Mend's flank and emptied it completely, "I need Fluttershy to help me start an I.V. drip for Trooper cause I don't know how to do that."

Sea Blue trotted up toward Mend,
"Wow, you look kind of rough there doc. Well, that's what happens when you headbutt an anvil."

Mend actually chuckled at the playful jab as Fluttershy set a small jar of the healing potion in front of him then dashed off to tend to the others. Mend eyed the healing potion then looked at Sea Blue pointedly.

The turquoise stallion nodded in resignation as his horn lit up, levitating the jar and unscrewing the cap,
"Tilt your head back and open your mouth as far as you can and let's hope you don't need reconstructive surgery."

Gilda pressed the pad of her right talon against the bite wound one of the Shadow Beasts had opened up on her left shoulder. The former Shadow Beasts, now returned to their original Pony forms, lay unconscious strewn all around the street. The Gryphons were all tired, but they had kept their word, not a single life had been lost. There were bites, scratches, and broken bones, but all lived. She flopped down to the ground as her father padded up next to her. He didn't say a single word, those would come later, for the moment he simply extended his right wing over her back and hugged her close.

* * *

Searcher's body swelled in size. His limbs elongated, as did his neck, torso, head, and horn. Raw power coursed through his body, strengthening his limbs. His mane and tail lengthened and swirled all around him, alive with dark power. The Rainbow of Darkness coiled and twisted within him, fully in control of his whole body.

Within the confines of his mind Searcher fought against the vile thing that held him away from his own body.

* * *

Twilight, her head now bandaged, held Rarity still with her magic as Dr. Mend popped her hip joints back into place with his hooves. Rarity screamed and struggled, but Twilight held her still until Dr. Mend was finished. The lavender Unicorn mare released her friend and Rarity flopped to the ground moaning pitifully. Meanwhile Fluttershy and Pinkie were having an easy time with Live Wire. He simply sat in place and held perfectly still while they disinfected his leg and horn. Tears of pain streamed down his face, but he never flinched or uttered a peep. Big Macintosh however was another case altogether. He had ran when Pinkie Pie had first approached him with antiseptic for the quartet of bone-deep gashes that ran along the left side of his cheek. It had taken Valiant to convince him to sit still and even then Big Macintosh insisted on lecturing the smaller wingless Pegasus at length and in detail while his face burned from the iodine seeping into his cuts.

Triage and Trauma quietly stirred from their slumber,
"Ooh," Trauma yawned hugely, "What a horrible dream."

"I agree," Triage said beside her sister, "Whatever we ate last night is forever off the list..."

Both sisters lapsed into silence as they caught Live Wire's smoldering glare. His look warned them to silence and met no resistance.

The ground vibrated violently as Searcher's body strode out of the medical clinic, ducking its head to make it past the doors,
"I am free!" it bellowed loudly, not noticing Twilight and the other girls all shooting each other a look, "THE WORLD SHALL BE MINE!" it gestured to the sky with a dramatic claw' "PREPARE YOURSELVES ALICORNS! DEATH HAS COME! MY MASTER WILL AWAKEN AND THE WORLD SHALL FALL INTO DARKNESS! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Distracted by its own monologue, Searcher finally found the strength he needed and pushed his will against the Rainbow of Darkness. Searcher's original form flickered through the monstrosity he had become,
"Destroy it!" he cried to the Elements Of Harmony, "I can't hold it back!" the Rainbow of Darkness punished him terribly for his rebellion, but it was enough.

It had gotten so caught up in its own self-gratification, it failed to see six angry mares facing it down, with multicolored auras already surrounding them,
"OH WOULD YOU JUST SHUT UP!" Twilight yelled.

The Rainbow of Darkness looked up just in time to be enveloped by the bane of its existence: The Rainbow of Light. In a matter of seconds, all the accumulated power of the Rainbow of Darkness was stripped away down to what it began with when it first encountered Searcher. It abandoned Searcher's body and attempted to take refuge back in the locket, but the Rainbow of Light pursued it into the confines of its old prison and destroyed it utterly, as the locket crumbled to dust and fell off Searcher's neck.

Searcher's body slowly returned to normal, he was free for the first time in four years. As his first action as a free stallion, he fainted dead away onto the ground.

Author's Note:

Edited the chapter as it needed it BADLY. PURIFY THE TYPOS!