• Published 6th Jan 2013
  • 844 Views, 9 Comments

Trouble in the Mountains - A-Woona-Moon



Searching for gems with Rarity, Spike hopes to find the opportunity to finally tell her how he feels. Just as he hits pay dirt, something happens that will change his life forever...

  • ...
0
 9
 844

The Best Day

This would be the best day ever, Spike decided as he walked the short distance from the library to his desired destination. The building was awfully hard to miss as it rivaled the town hall in size. Long had he pined after the beautiful white unicorn who owned, lived, and worked there. Rarity had asked him to come over as soon as he could, stating it was of utmost importance that he come alone. Spike's heart was still going pitter-patter just thinking about it. "Maybe she's finally going to confess her feelings for me," he thought aloud, eyes glazing over in bliss.

Nearby, a certain pegasus pony hopped up and down on a cloud, sending rain and lightning bolts everywhere. A stray bolt just missed Spike's tail, snapping him out of his fantasies with a yelp. Just in time, for he had barely enough time to stop walking before smacking into the door. "Thanks, Derpy!" he shouted. "But be careful where you point that thing, somepony could get hurt." The walleyed mare peeked down over the edge of the dark cloud, a slightly worried look on her face. Or maybe not so worried, Spike could never really tell.

"Whoops! Sorry, Spike," Derpy called back. "My boss said there were supposed to be scattered showers around Ponyville. Am I doing it right?" The grey pegasus flew away before he could answer, over towards Sweet Apple Acres with the cloud leaving a soggy trail through the town. A few bedraggled ponies shuffled back home to dry off from their unexpected and unwanted showers.

Spike shook his head with a smile before he remembered where he was. Swallowing hard, he opened the door and walked in. The shop was empty and dark. "R-rarity? You wanted to see me?" he called, his eyes adjusting to the dim light streaming through the high windows. The silence was eerie and made him nervously glance around.

Just then, the curtains over all but one of the windows closed, leaving a single shaft of light to shine down on a nearby ponnequin. Record music began to play, and Spike could see a soft blue glow emanating from upstairs. His relief that he wasn't alone was quickly replaced by the realization that he was now alone with her. Rarity came down slowly, her horn shimmering with magic.

"I suppose you're wondering why I have asked you here," said Rarity, her eyes hooded. She came up alongside the young dragon and turned the music off. Spike's heart pounded against his ribcage as the scent of the alabaster unicorn's unique brand of magic filled his nose. It was like jasmine flowers with a hint of honeysuckle, and although Spike knew neither, it was still intoxicating.

"I-I don't know, Miss Rarity," he stammered. "But I'm here alone, just like you asked."

"Good. I just had to share this with somepo-- someone. You're the only one I've told..." Rarity said with a sidelong glance.

"Yes?" Spike returned her gaze.

"You must promise me that you'll keep it a secret!" the unicorn turned to face him as she pleaded.

"O-of course! Anything for you, Rarity!" Spike promised.

With a flourish, Rarity turned the lights on, revealing the ponnequin. In a beautiful blue matching the sapphire eyes of the equally beautiful mare beside him, Spike beheld a dress that rivaled even the gowns at the Gala in its elegance. The fabric shimmered in the light, and a rainbow of different blues danced as he turned his head this way and that.

"Wow! That's gotta be the most amazing thing you've ever made," Spike breathed, not noticing that his praise caused a tinge of pink to color the unicorn's cheeks. It didn't hold his gaze for long before he asked, "But what is it for?"

Rarity sighed inwardly at the dragon's apparent lack of taste; he was after all, still a baby dragon, she reminded herself. "Well, darling, it is something I've been working on almost since I got my cutie mark... and it's nearly finished," She said with a smile that made her face light up in a way that Spike had never seen before. It made him wish jealously that he was the reason she beamed so brightly.

"Gosh, it looks perfect already! What could you possibly do to make it better?" the dragonling said, scratching his chin in thought.

Rarity's smile disappeared for a moment. "You think that I can't do better?" Her harsh gaze softened. "Listen, dear... Everything hinges on finishing this gown. I've seen this dress in my dreams nearly every night! I just can't possibly make another dress if anything goes wrong. My life as a seamstress. Will. Be. Over!" she finished, lifting a forehoof to her head dramatically.

Spike sensed he had somehow crossed a line. He reached up and placed a claw on her shoulder. "Don't worry, I'll help you finish it, whatever it takes!" he said proudly, his little chest puffing out.

Rarity stopped, looking over at her friend before lowering her hoof. Her look of supposed agony was replaced by one of excitement. "I was hoping you'd say that! I know the perfect finishing touch for my dream gown, and you're just the dragon to help me do it, Spikey-Wikey."

The aforementioned dragon, unaware that this had been the mare's intent all along, jumped at this chance to prove himself to her. "What did you want me to do? I've never sewn before, but I can try!"

"NO!"

Rarity took a deep breath, forcing herself to calm down. "I mean, no, that won't be necessary dear," she chuckled nervously. "I am looking for a particular type of gemstone; one that can only be found in the Unicorn Range. That's where i first found the geode that helped me get my cutie mark. Fitting, isn't it!"

Spike nodded. After a few moments of silence, he spoke. "Sooo... You want me to help you get the gems in the mountains?"

"Just so, darling. I've already packed the necessary supplies, so we can leave right away!" Rarity said, practically galloping out the door. She peeked her head around the frame and said' "Oh, Spike?"

"Y-yeah?"

"Be a dear and turn off all the lights, won't you?" With that, she disappeared again.

Spike was beginning to suspect that permaybehaps she was using him. Shaking the thought from his mind, he headed for the nearest light switch.

Click.

Author's Note:

I know this is a kind of slow start, but many good stories begin this way. This was a thought that bounced 'round my head during winter break. Hopefully I will be able to continue during the school year as well. Again, I welcome all comments.