• Published 30th Dec 2012
  • 394 Views, 1 Comments

My Little Arkastin - Verdigris



Humans aren't the only ones who end up in Equestria

  • ...
7
 1
 394

I Am No Longer Allowed to Create a Scenario That Can Be Summed-up As “In Case of Tiamat, Assemble Artifact.”

Chapter 2

(((())))

Applejack looked at Rodrigo sympathetically. He seemed lost, and somehow she didn’t think the encounter with Lucky helped. “Well, what say we keep on? Lots to see an’ do in Ponyville.”

Rodrigo nodded, then shook himself. “It was a long-shot, anyway. Sure, let’s go.” They walked on, then he asked, “By the way, where would I go to exchange my money for whatever you use? I don’t think they’re close.”

“Town Hall. What’ve ya got?” They stopped as he took out a pawful of coins, and she looked at them. “Hmm, Ah see what ya mean. Gold an’ silver we can work with, but don’t know if Ah ever saw platinum used.”

“We use gold and silver the most, while platinum’s mostly to carry a large amount more easily. For really big amounts, we use trade goods or gems.”

Applejack snorted with amusement. “Don’ say that aroun’ Rarity; she likes gems, an’ her talent is findin’ ‘em.”

Heh. She’d be in demand. Talent? Everyone – uh, everypony has one?”

“Yep,” Applejack replied with a nod. “Our Cutie Marks tell it,” she finished, turning so he could see her flank. “All the Apples have somethin’ like it, but ain’t all the same. My brother Big Macintosh’s looks like mine, but it’s bigger.”

“Is everypony’s name related to what they do? It sure sounds that way.”

“Some, but not always,” she replied as they continued walking. “The only ones I can think o’ that doesn’t is Omnius an’ Verdigris, but there’s a story behind that.”

“That’s fine,” Kang said as he held up a paw. “I don’t need to learn everything in a day. I’m not sure I could, either.”

“That’s okay. Took Omnius a while, an’ weren’t just him. He says there’s other Equestrias, an’ humans end up there, ‘cept they mostly end up as ponies,” Applejack said as they walked along. She shook her head. “Don’ see how they get along, havin’ ta learn all that. No, had a time learnin’ how ta get along as a human, once. Almost forgot about that.”

“Really? When?” Rodrigo tried to picture her as a human, and smiled at the image that he was sure was close: Sun-browned, athletic, blonde and freckled.

“A few years back, after Omnius went outta control,” she replied. “Had ta go take a break, an’ get straightened out. Learned a lot.”

“I’ll bet. I can’t imagine not having fur or antennae, and getting used to one extra finger.”

“Try havin’ hands an’ feet, and walkin’ on two legs for the first time in your life.” Rodrigo shook his head in sympathy. “Got better, but not soon.” Applejack looked at him for a long moment. “If’n ya got fur, why ya wear clothes?”

“Body modesty, mostly, plus some humans can be rude. But we keep to loose-fitting stuff with short sleeves, pants-legs and skirts because we have fur. Your coat keeps you from getting sun-burned, right?” Applejack nodded. “Kinda the same, but it does get a little chilly underground, so our fur’s heavier.” Rodrigo stopped speaking as Sweet Apple Acres came into view. “Wow. How many trees is that?”

Applejack smiled. Every stranger asked that, and she gave he same answer. “Don’ rightly know. Never counted ‘em, but know where they all are. Every kind o’ apple there is.”

“I’ll have to take your word for it,” the Arkastin replied as they resumed walking. As they passed down the road between the farm and the Forest, Rodrigo’s eyes widened. “I’ve never seen an orchard this size before. Must be a lot of work.”

“Some, but only at harvest time. Have ta show ya apple-buckin’,” she replied as a large red stallion with a collar trotted up to the fence. “That’s my brother, Big Macintosh,” she said as she turned to meet him. “Everythin’ okay, Mac?”

“Eeyup,” the stallion replied. “Who’s this?”

“Rodrigo Kang. I’m new in the area.” He held out a paw, and Mac shook it.

“Howdy.” Mac looked at him for a long moment. “Ain’t from here?”

“No, but it’s pretty obvious,” Rodrigo replied with a smile. He turned to Applejack. “Doesn’t say much, does he?”

“Nope,” she replied with a grin, and got a scowl in return. “Aw, c’mon, don’t take it personal. Ain’t like ya ain’t been trolled b’fore.”

“Oh, I’ve been trolled, but they were real trolls.” Applejack and Big Mac looked at him as though they were waiting for him to say it was a joke, but he didn’t. “No, seriously, my world’s a lot nastier than – I think Rarity called it Equis. I’ve been hurt a lot, and nearly killed a few times.” He paused and his expression saddened. “I lost someone close to me. I got her back, but it’s still painful.”

Applejack looked at him, then said, “Jin.” He nodded. “Ah’m sorry.”

“Don’t be. It’s kinda my fault, but I don’t know if I could have stopped it. From what Lunaria said, there was nothing anyone could do. It just had to play out.”

“Ya know Princess Luna?”

Rodrigo looked at her, then shook his head. “Not if she’s a pony. Lunaria’s an Arkasti goddess. Her domains are the night, invention and inspiration.”

Applejack looked at him, then asked, “She got a sister?”

“Solaria, goddess of day, knowledge and intellect.” Applejack’s expression of surprise made him ask, “What?”

“Sounds a lot like Celestia and Luna,” she replied. “Almost exactly, other’n them bein’ Arkasti. What do they look like?”

“Solaria has snow-white fur, light blue eyes and long gold hair. Lunaria has deep-midnight fur, violet eyes and long silver hair.” When Applejack blinked, he said, “No way.”

“Swap th’ eyes, and they’re close.” She put a hoof to her chin, thinking. “No fights?”

“No, they work together a lot, ‘cause one without the other means nothing, really. Inspiration isn’t much good without knowledge,” Kang replied.

“Hmm,” Mac said. “Close enough.”

“Sounds like ya met ‘em.”

“Just Lunaria. She helped me get Jin back, but it cost me. I used to have an older sister, but that was before we made the bargain. Nobody but me knows what happened, and I’m still not sure how I feel about it all. I know I don’t want to tell anyone, because I don’t know what’ll happen,” Rodrigo confessed. Wow, it feels good to finally talk about it, he thought.

The ponies’ eyes widened in what appeared to be shock. “Ya cain’t mean it,” Applejack said.

“I didn’t know what changed until I got home. I had to pretend I got hit in the head a lot, and once I heard my family’s side, well, I had a lot of thinking to do.” He sighed. “Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.”

“Sounds like somethin’ Blackwolf said.”

Rodrigo started. “Why does that seem familiar?” He shrugged after a moment. “I’ll figure it out.” He looked at the orchard. “You said you wanted to show me around. Let’s get to it.”

“Sure. C’mon,” Applejack said before jumping the fence. She looked back, watching as he followed. “Ya okay?”

“I’m not sure. I don’t like thinking about what happened. I wasn’t in a good place up to that meeting.”

“Don’t blame ya. It’d bother me, too,” she replied softly. She glanced at Big Macintosh, who only said, “Eeyup.”

Rodrigo shook off the mood with some effort. “Well, I’m not going to let it bother me. Lead on,” he said softly. Applejack nodded, and they continued on.

Mac watched them go, and shook his head. Ain’t right, he thought. Ain’t right at all.

(((())))

Twilight sat at the table, lost in the Dracadia book. She stopped to take notes on occasion, but mostly read in fascination. It wasn’t always good fascination; some was outright horrid.

Rodrigo’s world was worse than anything she’d ever encountered or heard of, outside history books. Even Nightmare Moon’s worst seemed to pale against what she was reading. Death, destruction and chaos seemed to be the order of the world, and she couldn’t believe he took it in stride, except she could understand why, with what she and the other Element Bearers had gone through. But still, even Discord is mild compared to what Rodrigo’s seen, she thought with a shiver. She finished the chapter, and closed the tome with a shaking hoof. She didn’t want to think about it. Some was too horrible.

“Twi? Are you okay?” Spike’s question shook her out of her somewhat bleak mood.

“No, not really, Spike. Rodrigo’s world makes Equis seem like paradise, just like he said. It’s bad. I don’t see how he copes.”

Spike nodded. “Rarity told me some of what happened this morning. He grew up with it, so he can deal with it, I guess. I can’t see how, either. I can’t be – ” His stomach rumbled, and a jet of flame belched out. A scroll bearing Celestia’s Mark appeared, and he caught it. “I have the feeling I know what this is about,” he said. “It’s the Royal seal, not the usual.”

Twilight sighed as she accepted the message, then opened and read it. Twice, as she wasn’t quite sure it said what it did. “The Princesses are going to be here tomorrow, and they want to talk to Rodrigo. I guess it’s not that hard to figure out why. They’re Princesses, after all. They probably felt him when he appeared.” Twilight sighed again. “I’ll write my own reply; you should check to see that we’re ready for them.” Spike nodded, and began inspecting the Library.

Twilight took a sheet of parchment and wrote,

Your Highnesses,

I have read and understand. I will inform Rodrigo, and hopefully everything will go well.

He seems lost, but he hides it well. I think he’s still adjusting to what happened, as though he doesn’t quite believe it. Something like Omnius, now that I think about it. We’ll be ready for your arrival tomorrow.

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle

She read it through twice, then sealed it. She turned to find Spike waiting at the table-side. “Am I that predictable?” she asked with a smile. He nodded, and she replied, “Okay. Here.” She watched as he sent the message with a puff of flame, then rubbed her forehead with a hoof. “Well, that’s that.”

“What’s wrong, Twi?”

“I don’t know why, but I have this sense of foreboding that I can’t get rid of,” she replied. “I don’t know, Spike. I just don’t know.”

(((())))

“Well, that’s that,” Celestia said after she read Twilight’s reply. “Are you sure, Michael?” He nodded, and she asked, “Why aren’t you in human form? Wouldn’t that make it easier?”

“Not likely,” the “Pegasus” replied. “In fact, it could make it worse. I’ve met Rodrigo in my own travels, and I do my best not to draw attention to my friends. It’s why I’m seldom here, or anywhere, for long.” He looked west, towards Ponyville, then south towards Oceanside. “Equestria isn’t ready for some of my enemies.”

“You keep saying that, Uncle Mike,” Verdigris commented. “Are they really that bad?”

“Not individually, but they seldom travel alone. They’re about as bad as Changelings.” He paused, then said, “The problem is, you said you felt more than one come through, Celestia. I’ve some idea what’s on Terra. I’d say it’s more humans and humanoids, but they’re bad enough. I’ll need to talk to Rodrigo, and though I’d rather not appear, I may have no choice. I’ve almost over-stayed my ‘safe’ visiting time, and I can’t do that. They’ll follow my trail, and I won’t have them here.”

“Then you’d better go now,” Celestia said. “You’ve got three days left.”

Michael smiled. “You can’t get rid of me quickly enough, eh?”

“I wish you could stay longer, too, but I won’t risk my ponies.” The Day Princess sighed. “I console myself by knowing you’ll be back.”

“Then we’ll take our leave now.” He looked at Verdigris, who was decked-out in his armor, and snorted. “Should I be official as well, or can I be myself?”

“I think you can be yourself. Rodrigo would appreciate a friend he knows, even though he’s making friends here. He can’t stay, and neither can the others.”

Michael nodded. “Right, then.” He glanced at his adoptive nephew. “Let’s go. By your leave, of course,” he finished with a smile, which Celestia returned.

“Of course. I’ll have a squad of Guards at your disposal,” Celestia replied.

Michael nodded, and stepped out onto the balcony. Verdigris watched, then said, “I don’t know, god-mother. I have this feeling something bad’s going to happen.”

“That’s why you’re both going. If what Michael told me about Terra is true, this could be a bigger threat to Equestria than anything else. We have our own problems; I don’t want any imported from Outside. I’m not questioning him, but as I’ve said before, even Princesses have their limits. I don’t want any more coming in than we’ve already got.”

Her god-son nodded. “Okay. We’ll talk to Rodrigo first, then prepare for you and Luna.” He walked forward and nuzzled her. “Don’t worry. We’ll all straighten this out. Sometime again, god-mother.” He bowed, then joined his “uncle” on the balcony. They nodded to each other and took wing.

Celestia’s worried expression didn’t fade. “Its not this, it’s what may come later. Once the door is opened, it’s hard to close.”

(((())))

Rodrigo watched as Applejack demonstrated apple-bucking. He was sure that what he was seeing was impossible anywhere else. Every apple on the tree dropped into the baskets as though falling down invisible chutes. Why can’t I believe it? I’ve seen crazier things.

Applejack looked at him and chuckled. “Ya oughta see your face.”

Rodrigo rolled his eyes and nodded. “Oh, I know what it looks like. The first few months, I had it on so long I knew how it felt. Nobody understands what adventuring is until they get started, and even after a year I’m still surprised. I’ve heard from others that doesn’t stop. You never really stop seeing strange things. There’s always something new.” He looked around. “Like here,” he finished with a wry grin.

“Yeah, Ah can see that.” Applejack grabbed a basket with her teeth. “Wellph, c’mon. These won’ phut pfemselfes away.”

Rodrigo followed suit, then paused. “Hmm, maybe.” He concentrated, then smiled. “Wait a second.” Applejack stopped and looked at him. He concentrated, then made a few motions and muttered some gibberish – to her ears – and pointed. A barely-visible, three-foot diameter disk appeared, floating three feet above the ground, and he smiled tiredly. “Okay, let’s try this,” he said, loading the other three baskets.

Applejack looked on in consternation. The disk was holding more apples than she and Big Mac could carry. She set the basket she held down and asked, “Ya sure it’ll hold all this?”

“Only if all this is less than six hundred pounds.” Applejack shrugged and placed the basket on the disk. It held its position. “Okay, show me the way. It’ll follow me.”

The farm pony looked at the disk, then shrugged and turned. She set off, occasionally looking back. The baskets floated in thin air, keeping up with them. “Best not let Twilight see that. She’ll go half-crazy tryin’ ta figure it out.”

“I’m not surprised. Anything new gets anyone’s attention. I’ll bet if I showed it to her, she’d be able to cast it by the end of the day, if she’s as good as she seems.”

“More’n good, sugarcube,” Applejack said as they approached the barn. “Most powerful Unicorn in Equestria, an’ the smartest. She’s Princess Celestia’s student, an’ that’s sayin’ somethin’. She’s done things nopony else can, or they’d be afraid to try.” She opened the doors, and Rodrigo looked at the inside, which seemed bigger than the outside. Maybe it’s just how it looks up close, he thought. Applejack started unloading with his help. “She’s the one who figured out Nightmare Moon would be back, when nopony else believed she was real.”

“Wait, you mentioned Luna,” the Arkastin said as he unloaded the last basket.

Applejack nodded. “Yep, one an’ the same. Have ta go to Canterlot ta hear it, but she won’t tell the story. Still too painful, even after six, seven years.” She nodded towards the road, and he looked to see a house about a hundred yards away. “Verdigris got beaten up pretty badly, keepin’ her busy so we could find the Elements of Harmony.”

“Wait, should you be telling me this? You don’t know anything about me.”

Applejack smiled. “Got a feelin’ about ya, sugarcube. You’re a good one. Don’ mind workin’. Bad ones always go for the easy way, y’know?” she finished with a wink.

Rodrigo smiled. “Yeah, I know, but not all lazy people are bad, A.J. You’d be surprised how many lazy people get things done that make the work easier for everyone.”

She looked at him in confusion. “How?”

“The quickest, easiest way to do something, and still get it right. Most efficient. That’s how I usually work, but sometimes you’ve got to break out the work gloves ‘cause there’s no other way.”

Applejack smiled. “Don’ mind hard work here,” she said as she easily pushed the door closed with one hoof. “Makes it easier after a while, y’hear?”

Rodrigo chuckled. “Wow. I sort of feel at home. That’s an almost Arkasti attitude.”

“Well, nice ta know we ain’t all that different,” Applejack replied with a smile. She looked past Rodrigo and looked startled. “Hey, what do they want?” she asked.

Rodrigo turned to see two Pegasai – no, wait that wasn’t it. One Pegasus and something else. The armored stallion appeared to be a winged Unicorn, and he tried to recall what they were called as they landed and made their way to where he and Applejack stood. His coloring reminded him of weathered copper, and he saw the metallic patch on his chest around the edges of his pectoral plate. Interesting.

“Verdigris. Nice ta see ya again,” she said as she hugged the – Alicorn. That’s what he is, Kang thought. She followed up with the Pegasus. “Good ta see ya, Blackwolf.”

“Thanks A.J.,” Verdigris replied. He looked at Rodrigo. “So, what have we got here?”

“I know him,” the brown Pegasus replied. Rodrigo blinked, as he recognized the voice. “Not out here, lad. We need to talk.” His tone was ominous, but not threatening.

“Let’s go into the barn,” Applejack said as she led the way. Once inside, she asked, “What’s goin’ on?”

“Michael?” Rodrigo asked. “Is that you?” He couldn’t believe what he was seeing. The person he knew was human, not a pony.

“It’s me.” The Pegasus looked at him steadily, then tilted his head to one side. “Just how by Bahamut's beard did you get here?”

Rodrigo rubbed his palm across his face. “It’s kind of a long story. I’ll try to make it quick.” He told them how he and his friends had found the TESLA facility and discovered the portal device, then found the stored treasures, followed by the Nightingales’ arrival and the subsequent fight. Applejack listened, and didn’t seem very surprised, other than at first. “Last thing I know, I’m being pulled through by the airflow. That’s when I got here. I can tell the rest later.”

Michael considered what he’d told them. “Would you be surprised to know you’re not the only one to come through?”

Rodrigo rolled his eyes. “I should have guessed. Rundell’s lighter than I am. So was the Elf.”

“What kind o’ folks are they?” Applejack asked.

“Not nice,” Michael replied. “They’re assassins. They kill people for a living, and worse, they decide who dies, using their own odd criteria.” Applejack gave him a flat look. “Sorry. They choose who dies. They have their own ideas on why, instead of following instructions.”

“Wait, they kill people? For a livin’?”

“I told you I don’t come from a nice place,” Rodrigo said. “Great. How many?”

“Six. Are you the only one of your group?”

“Yeah. I was closest, and that thropka of a mage threw a Grease spell under my feet.”

“Language, ‘Rigo,” Michael said, using the childhood pet name Rufina used to. “Use variations of ‘buck’, like everypony else does.”

The Arkastin stared at him. “You’ve gotta be kidding.” The Pegasus closed his eyes and slowly shook his head. “Wonderful. So who came through?”

“All but the Mauler, and be glad for it. He’s not good company, at any time. Fortunately, he went somewhere else. Do you care where?” Rodrigo shook his head. “All right, then.”

“Do the Princesses know?” Applejack asked. “Kinda funny if they didn’.”

“They know. Twilight sent a message, explaining in brief. They’re interested in meeting you, needless to say.”

Rodrigo looked at Verdigris, whose armor made him suspicious. “Why are you along?”

“Princess Celestia isn’t as trusting and benevolent as the ponies think she is. She’s had to get her hooves dirty more than once. I’m here to make sure you don’t cause any trouble, but if Uncle Mike says you’re okay, I won’t ask for your gear.” He leaned down and looked Rodrigo squarely in the eyes. “I’m taking a big chance on you. Don’t make me regret it.”

Rodrigo’s first instinct was to push back, but he could feel and almost see the Alicorn’s aura, and while it was down quite a ways from a dragon’s, it was still the most powerful he’d seen anywhere else. “If I give my word, can I just put my ranged weapons away? I haven’t lived through what I have by handing over my gear without a fight.”

Verdigris looked at the “Pegasus”, who nodded. “Okay, I can go with that.” He looked at the Arkastin curiously. “You seem okay with meeting royalty,” he prompted.

“I’ve met a few kings, princes and even an Emperor. Most were fairly laid-back, especially Silverstar, but most Arkasti are.”

“O-okay.” Verdigris turned to Applejack. “You might want to get the girls together, A.J. We don’t know what’s going to happen, but we have to be ready. From what Uncle Mike said, these people are rough customers.”

Applejack nodded. “Ah’ll head back when you’re on your way. Should I tell Twi you were here, sugarcube?”

He smiled. “Couldn’t hurt. We’re not going anywhere. The Princesses are coming here. Shining Armor’s been a little paranoid since the Changelings invaded.” He looked at Rodrigo. “Ready?”

“Just about.”

Michael looked at Verdigris. “Lead on. Rodrigo and I need to chat.”

“All right. See you next time, A.J.” The mare winked and trotted towards the house. “Huh. She’s loosened up a little. Good. Okay, next stop the Library.” Verdigris turned and walked into town.

Michael looked at Rodrigo. “Hop on.”

“Bare-back? I can walk.”

“I insist. Put down a blanket to pad your delicate little arse, you nancy-boy.” After Rodrigo was seated, Michael said, “Right, off we go.”

Rodrigo leaned forward and held onto Michael’s mane as they started. After a few minutes, Michael said, “Right, you said you found a hand-held portal device?”

“I’ve still got it.”

“Then they’ll continue their mission. I have to wonder why they want it. It’s limited, compared to equivalent spells,” Michael said.

“Anyone can use it, once they read the instructions, or someone teaches them,” Kang replied.

“I have to wonder what Max was thinking, but it’s beside the point. What happened to Rundell?”

“I don’t know. We got separated when Skullshank’s fortress detonated. We were literally scattered to the four winds,” Rodrigo answered. “All I know is he’s not the same Syldrin I knew a year ago, and there’s a rumor he killed someone we knew a few months back. One of Miluda’s crew. She wasn’t very happy about that.”

“I assume you’re going to tell her, once you’re back home.”

Rodrigo didn’t answer for a few moments. “I don’t know. She was so upset, I don’t know if I’ll catch it for being with Short Legs, or bringing the news. I’d have to find out if it was true.”

“Hmm, yes. Well, that’s in the future. The other reason Celestia wants to meet you is to get a sense of your aura, which should allow her to detect and hopefully track them. I’m not comfortable with the Nightingales in Equestria, Rodrigo. They could do tremendous damage.”

“Yeah, they could.” Rodrigo spent the rest of the ride thinking. Well, they can’t be too far behind. They’ve got trains, he thought as he heard the whistle. He chuckled when various ponies stopped and stared when they saw him riding Michael.

“No, they weren’t ready for that,” the Pegasus said as he stopped near Sugarcube Corner. “I’m feeling a bit peckish. You?”

“Pinkie Pie brought what looked like a hundred pounds of baked goods. What do you think?”

“I think I’d like some coffee. Verdigris?”

“When have I ever turned down food?” His grin faded. “Well, there was that time Sweetie Belle tried cooking lunch. I needed a skylight there, anyway.”

Rodrigo stared at him for a moment after dismounting. “I … really don’t want to know.”

“You’re better off,” the Alicorn replied as they entered the shop.

“Oh, hi everypony!” Pinkie said as she hugged them all in rapid succession. “Right over here.” She led the way to a table, then left.

“Oh, yeah, don’t touch the cake,” Verdigris said.

“Why?”

“Don’t say it,” Michael said when Pinkie brought a pot of coffee and three slices of cake. “Oh, that should be fine. It’s the whole cake you have to be wary of.”

“Why, is she gonna pop out of it?” Rodrigo joked.

“Yes,” they replied simultaneously.

The Arkastin looked at them for a long moment. “You really mean that, don’t you?”

“Eeyup,” Verdigris replied with a smug grin.

Pinkie popped up from behind Verdigris, holding a few wrapped apple fritters. “Here! For the road.”

“But what am I going to eat?” They stared at Kang for a moment, then broke up laughing.

Pinkie gave Rodrigo another hug. “I like him, he’s silly.”

“Pin-kie,” Michael said warningly.

“Aw, c’mon, Blackwolf. I’ve got plenty of duct tape.”

The Pegasus face-hoofed. “I surrender. Only Sean can out-random you, and he needs help.” Pinkie smiled and left them to attend to the counter.

“Well, time for why we came here,” Verdigris said. “The Princesses are worried about what else might have come through, or what else might come through later.”

“Oh, yeah, thanks for reminding me,” Kang complained. “I can’t be completely sure, but I remember seeing two Fighters, one Rogue and one Mage. I couldn’t really tell what else. They demanded the device, we said no, and that’s when the fight started. It was over no more than a minute later, when the idiot threw a fireball spell and missed me. He didn’t miss the control console.”

“So, what you’re saying is it’s only the six,” Verdigris said. “That doesn’t sound so bad.”

“Six adventurers can be a lot of trouble,” Rodrigo countered. “We were, even with some serious mistakes. I think the worst threat we had to deal with was ...” he trailed off as he thought. “Six Avatars, and the Planar access device Skullshank built.”

“Skullshank’s been dead twenty years or more,” Michael said.

“His other son Teklokiowa – Kess’ brother – took over, and continued his work. He wanted to access the Planes and prove the gods either weren’t real, or weren’t what everyone thought they were. I was more worried about what might come through to Terra, and I sure wish I’d been wrong. As bad as I thought it would be, we weren’t ready to see Orchus, Vecna or Demogorgon. We’d already stopped Tiamat, and thought that was it.”

“Who are they?” Verdigris asked.

“Bad, bad news,” Blackwolf answered. “I’ve run into them once or twice each, and they are nothing you’re prepared for. They make the Nightmare or Discord seem like nice, fluffy little kittens by comparison. They are absolutely evil, beyond anything seen here, nephew.”

“ ‘Nephew’?” Rodrigo repeated, not believing what he’d just heard.

“Adoptive.”

“If you say so.”

“What’s your world like?” Verdigris asked.

“I should have had the Gazetteer copied. Well, it’s not as pleasant as Equis. The races get along as well as you can expect, unless there’s some kind of argument over something. Borders, usually, though the Elves out west decided they were going to conquer the continent. We managed to stop that by taking away the technology they’d discovered.”

“Where’d it come from? I know what Max built, but no weapons that I recall beyond the fire bows,” Michael asked after a sip of coffee.

“Kalista and Lucky’s world. From what little Lucky told us, it was like Terra, but with ponies. I think it’s a world somewhere between here and there, mostly because, like I told Applejack and the others, she was familiar with all the races. The capsules all fell out of the sky, from what we could tell and learned later,” Rodrigo said between bites. “Wow, this is good. Anyway, once the Dominion was disarmed, everything went back to normal, more or less. We were on our way home when we found the TESLA facility. The rest you know.”

“ ‘TESLA’. What’s that mean?” Verdigris asked.

“It’s an acronym for Terrene Experimental Science and Labor Athenium. Basically, a fancy way to say 'science laboratory',” Michael replied. “It was run by Maximilian Arturo, an Elf scientist, inventor and entrepreneur for Aperture Science Corporation. He was a strange one, but brilliant. Half of Rodrigo’s gear came from those facilities.” When the Arkasti looked at him, the Pegasus continued, “I was there, long before the Cataclysm. He apparently knew it was coming, and prepared, years in advance.”

“What happened?”

Michael and Rodrigo looked away with almost identical expressions of tragic sadness. “There was an invasion by alien creatures,” Rodrigo began haltingly. “They looked like giant spiders, and had servants that looked like a cross between a Yeti and a rabbit called ‘kra-dahn’, but nowhere as cuddly. The bad ones were known as CATs for Cannibalistic Alien Threats that weren’t just tough, they could cause a death effect. We nearly bought it when we found one alive.” Michael looked at him sharply. “I’m here, ain’t I?”

“But they won, right?”

Rodrigo’s expression changed to extreme bitterness. “No, nobody won. The critters were nigh-on unstoppable. Arturo managed to set up a weapon system that could stop them, but Operation Second Sun did something I never thought could happen: It ‘detonated’ the planet’s magic. It killed the things … and eight billion people. Think about it. It’s been something like three thousand years since, and we’re up to maybe two million on Dracadia.”

“Max built and stocked the facilities to help re-build society. Tools, information, technology, weapons – everything needed to do it, but the world changed, and the sites were buried. The only reason Rodrigo and his friends found them was at first by pure accident, then with clues gleaned from the sites they explored,” Michael continued. He shook his head. “What a bloody mess.”

“Could those creatures still be out there?” Verdigris asked after overcoming his shock.

“No, I think they had to leave their home world to survive a disaster. It was an all-or-nothing invasion.” Rodrigo’s expression soured even more. “We just barely made it.” He grew thoughtful. “Hmm, I wonder if Kalista’s world was one of his projects. We found a note in the facility near Jisuto that said, ‘I did not return’. I’ve got to wonder if it was his wife Vilina. She was chief of Research and Development. It makes sense.”

Verdigris just looked a them for a long while. He’d been through a lot, but nothing like what the pair just described so … off-hoofedly. “Are other worlds as bad?”

“Some are worse, whilst others are better. Equis is one of the best, which is why I keep coming back, lad,” Michael replied with a weak smile. “What bothered me is I know whence that world came. When Rodrigo told me about the ‘UCAS runs on Dunkin’ slogan, I about fell down in surprise.”

“But it’s over, right?”

“We think so,” the Arkastin said. “At least for now. A month passed before we were asked to head out west; I barely had time to get married, and two weeks is a very short honeymoon.”

The Alicorn nodded. “It sure is,” he agreed.

Pinkie Pie returned to the table, her behavior slightly subdued. “Sorry about that,” she told Rodrigo. “I know I can’t help, but I’d like to.”

“It’s all right, Pinkie. I got what I wanted, mostly, and it’s not bad. I don’t know if you could, and maybe you shouldn’t. Terra’s nothing like Equis, and it should stay that way.”

“Okay, enough of this maudlin stuff,” Verdigris said.

“Agreed,” Michael added.

“Yeah, I’d say so,” Rodrigo agreed. “So, when do I meet the Princesses, and how should I act? I don’t know anything about them, other than their names.”

“Treat them with respect, but don’t bow and scrape,” Michael replied, glad for the subject change. “They hate that. I suppose they’re a bit like Silverstar, but not quite as laid-back. You’ll meet them tomorrow.”

“All right.”

Michael paid for their food, and led the way out as Pinkie hugged Verdigris. As they walked back to the Library, Rodrigo asked, “What’s up here? I know you told me about every story ever written was its own universe, but come on. This looks like it was written for five-year-old human girls.” Michael’s laughter made him facepaw. “This is Rufina’s revenge for throwing her over for Lunaria, isn’t it?”

“It could very well be. ‘Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned’, but I doubt the author had Arkasti in mind when he wrote that. She is the Laughing Rogue, and why would she let the chance to troll pass her by? Be glad she’s not angry.”

“Maybe I should have retired.” Rodrigo looked around, and noticed Lucky standing along their path, watching him. “What’s with her? We just met today, and now she’s staring at me.”

The brown-and-black Pegasus glanced over and shrugged. “You’re asking me? I may be the expert compared to you, but I’ve never said I knew more than a cursory glance’s worth. How did you and the other Lucky get on?”

“We could tolerate each other. Once we learned she was trying to help Kalista, my attitude changed.” His eyes met hers, and a strange expression crossed her face. “There’s nothing about cross-species relationships, I hope.”

“Actually, there is. Omnius and Twilight have been growing closer, and I know for a fact he’s a transformed human. I’m not sure they’re aware of it. I’ve heard rumours of others, but that’s all.” Michael looked at him with a slight grin. “Worried?”

“It’s a little creepy,” Rodrigo admitted. “I’m married, but I don’t know if that means anything here.”

“Ponies behave somewhat like humans, so you have few worries on that score. Just beware of Lyra. She’s obsessed with humans, and if she knew you’d traveled with any, she’d annoy you with endless questions and utterly ridiculous theories worth of any conspiracy nutter.” Michael chuckled as Verdigris trotted up to join them. “Pity the poor human who came here.”

“Rodrigo said a few of the Nightingales were human, Uncle Mike,” Verdigris reminded him.

“Oh, yes. See what age does to you. A few centuries pass, and you can’t remember your own name.” He rolled his eyes. “Should I make my way to the bone yard?”

“You’re laying it on thicker than Rundell ever could.” Rodrigo raised a paw to knock, but Michael pushed the Library door open.

“If you knock, she’ll yell. This is a library, even though she lives above it,” the Pegasus explained. “Twilight, we’re back.”

The Unicorn peered out from behind a tall stack of books. “Oh, good. I’ve got some questions.”

“And that’s my cue to depart,” Michael said quietly. “I can’t stay, Rodrigo. I’ve been here nearly too long. Verdigris and Twilight will look after you, no doubt.”

“Nice of you to ask,” the Alicorn commented. “Although, if I know Twi like I think I do, you’ll never get any sleep, and neither will she. You might be better off staying with me.”

“Right. I’ll see you when I return. Sometime again, lads,” Michael said as he slipped outside and closed the door.

“Sometime again,” Rodrigo said as Twilight trotted towards him. “Before you start, can we sit down? I think we’ll both feel better.”

“Oh, sure. Do you want to stay, or do you have to go, Verdi?”

“I don’t have any duty, so I guess I’m watching Rodrigo. I’ll stay, but remember what Princess Celestia told you. Naps if you’re up all night.” He noticed Rodrigo’s smile. “Oh, you’re familiar with obsessed scholars, too.”

“I could have been one, but I managed to get away from the books every now and then. It’s not all studying in Arkasti schools.” Rodrigo walked at Twilight’s side and sat on a nearby chair when they reached the large, paper-covered table. “Wait, where did you get to vulcanology? It’s not in the Gazetteer.”

“Oh, I was checking what could have built those mountains,” Twilight answered, pointing at a map with her hoof.

“Uh, that never mattered, unless we had caves or passages to explore,” the Arkastin replied cautiously. What did I fall into?

Verdigris suppressed a chuckle. If Rodrigo was once an intrepid explorer, he was sure Twilight could cure him of that. If not, when Daring Do heard of him, that would probably do it. Poor guy.

(((())))

Luna trotted down from her rooms, followed by her Guards. She’d had an interesting dream, one that seemed very real; unfortunately, the last time that happened Verdigris had nearly killed a Rus gangster. She wanted to be sure, and she was in search of Celestia. As she reached the Court Hall doors, Blaze and Tango stood to attention, and the doors opened by themselves. She was obviously expected.

“Celly, I had – ” she began.

“A very realistic dream,” Celestia finished for her. When Luna nodded, Celestia hoofed over a message from Twilight. “I’d like you to tell me, Luna. You always capture the details, and sometimes you know more than I do.” As Luna read the missive, Celestia sighed. I only hope it’s as bad as Michael was thinking, instead of worse, she thought. She looked as Luna looked up from the message, her face grim. “Is something wrong?”

“Yes, there is. They’re to the north, near the Aerie, probably a week’s march away. They’ll reach Condorosa within four days. We can’t let that happen, Celly. I saw – ” Luna paused, closed her eyes and took a breath “ – I saw dead ponies. More than two dozen. That’s what woke me,” the Night Princess said reluctantly, her face twisted with disgust. “I had a glimpse of more, but that’s all.”

“Only you and Verdigris know its exact location, Lulu. I don’t know if I can send any Guards with you. There have been rumors of trouble in Zebrica that might spill over here, and – ” Celestia stopped and looked to the east. “I wonder. Is that blasted Traveler of Evil still laid-up?”

“Torrentican? I have no idea. The last time he and Omnius contested, he was badly hurt, but perhaps not enough to make him go to a home-world.” She paused, a hoof to her chin. “It does seem to fit his profile, and he swore revenge on Verdigris for sending him away,” she said with an unpleasant smile.

“I wish I could be sure. We need to talk with Rodrigo soon, but we can’t leave until tomorrow.”

You can’t, but I can,” Luna replied. Her expression turned wistful. “I would love to see Verdigris again, Celly.”

“Didn’t I ask you not to call me that?” Celestia grumbled.

“You reverted and called me ‘Woona’. Twice. And it never bothered you before.”

Celestia sighed. “I don’t know; it just seems wrong, and I can’t say why.” She looked at the message again. “Maybe it’s because it’s a name a filly uses, and you’re not a filly anymore, Lulu. I keep forgetting that, and I’m sorry.”

Luna nuzzled her sister. “It’s all right, but how is ‘Woona’ better? It’s another name a filly uses, is it not?”

Celestia nodded, acceding to Luna’s logic. “I can’t promise it’ll work, but I’ll try.” She nodded, as though making a decision. “Yes, you should go. They need to know, so they can plan how to counter this threat.”

“Aye, Verdigris would rush off to defend his own, and who knows what might happen? We know nothing of these Nightingales.” Luna nodded to Celestia. “I will go now. I leave my Guards to you, ‘Tia. I only need Hammer and Anvil.”

Celestia nuzzled her sister. “All right. Be careful, Lulu. I’ll be there first thing in the morning. Good luck.”

Luna stood straight, looking at her with an imperious glare Celestia knew well. “Luck has nought to do with it, ‘Tia. I will start the ground-work, and hopefully we’ll be ready upon your arrival. Sometime again.” She raised her head and her horn glowed. A moment later, she was gone.

“Be careful, Lulu.”

(((())))

Rodrigo was reading Twilight’s notes and making a few corrections when he felt it. A build-up of magic that felt familiar. “Someone’s teleporting in,” he said.

“Who’d be – ” Twilight began when a bright flash illuminated the room. “P-Princess Luna!”

“It’s good to see you again, Twilight.” She looked at Rodrigo curiously. “Hmm, not quite what I was expecting. I thought you’d be taller.”

Rodrigo looked at the Princess, taking in her appearance. He bowed slightly. “Good afternoon, your Highness. I could say the same thing,” he replied with a little smile. He’d expected her to be taller, too, but they were looking each other in the eye. “I guess we were expecting too much?”

Luna smiled. “Perhaps.” She looked at Verdigris, and her eyes lit up. “A moment, please.” She trotted over and hugged the stallion with a sigh. “Ah, it has been too long, Verdigris. I’ve missed you.”

“Same here.” His smile faded, and he asked, “Are you here alone? What about your Guards?”

“They are on their way. Despite what the nobles might think, you and I know we can take care of ourselves.” She smiled mischievously. “And with you here, I am not unguarded.”

“You wouldn’t believe she’s over fifteen hundred years old, would you?” Verdigris said to Twilight, who giggled.

“I sure wouldn’t,” Rodrigo said. Wow. That old and still looks like a kid. Filly. Whatever.

“Of course not. Like you, I am more than I appear to be,” she replied in fluent Arkastin, which made Rodrigo start and stare. “Aye, we have encountered your kind, and may have impersonated Lunaria and Solaria without realizing it.”

Rodrigo tilted his head to one side and smiled. “Or maybe you didn’t. You sound a lot like her, and I met her, once. Maybe there’s more to what Michael says than I thought.”

Luna nodded. “I would enjoy continuing down this line, but I’ve come for a more serious reason.” She looked at Verdigris. “I demand your complete obedience, Verdigris. You are my friend, and the love of my life, but you are still my Guard. You will do nothing until I tell you. Understood?”

Verdigris’, Twilight’s and Rodrigo’s eyes widened. None had ever seen or heard her behave as a Royal. For the ponies, it was unnerving. “I hear and I obey, Highness,” the Alicorn said quietly. “My Oath is in force.”

“Twilight, I must swear you to secrecy, not only for the importance of what I am about to tell you, but also for your own protection.”

Twilight looked at the Night Princess curiously, but nodded and said, “You have my promise, Luna.”

She looked at Rodrigo and smiled. “I need say nothing about secrecy to you; I can see a fellow lover of the Night. You know what happens under the moon’s face stays there.”

“Yes, your Highness. What is it?” Rodrigo said seriously. Something told him there would be bad news.

“Very well. The Nightingales arrived seven days from the Aerie.” Verdigris started angrily, and she said, “Enough. They know not where they are, but I had a terrible dream. They killed several ponies, and I glimpsed many more. However, it is not set in stone. They are not there yet, and I would stop them before they became a threat.”

“I could go right now and take care of it,” Verdigris said.

“And Celestia and I forbid it. You will not disobey ‘Tia; we both know it.”

“You’re really annoying when you’re right,” Verdigris groused.

“You don’t know what they can do, Verdigris,” Rodrigo said. He pulled his longbow out of the bag of holding. “I’m really good with this, and you can probably see its aura. I call it Magekiller, ‘cause it’s enchanted to harm arcane spell-casters. Their rogue’s probably as good, if not better. He’s probably focused more than I have. Their mage isn’t bad, either. The only advantage we have is we’re teaming-up; at least I think so. They probably have advantages we don’t know about; I don’t know that much about the Nightingales. Magic weapons aren’t common, but they’re not hard to find if you have the coin and time to have them made. You don’t want to run into a wand of magic missiles, for example.”

Verdigris looked at him and the bow for a minute, then nodded reluctantly. “Yeah, okay. We need to figure out what they’re planning to do.” He paused. “What if they can’t go back on their own? You said it was a device. That means they don’t know exactly how they got here, right?”

“I’d be surprised if they did. I didn’t have time to check. I was concentrating on them, and I was off my feet quickly. The first instinct is survival,” the Arkastin replied. “If I didn’t have time, neither did they. That and the devices are too strange. They’re so old they’re like new discoveries. Nobody’s seen them for our entire history since the Cataclysm. They may as well have come from another world. Actually, they are. Nothing’s like it was, really.”

Luna nodded. “Aye, 'tis true. I feel the same, as a thousand years’ absence has the same effect. It was a long, difficult adjustment, and that was to ordinary things.”

“What are they likely to carry?” Twilight asked. “You said two fighters, one rogue and a mage. That could tell us what to expect. I said it could,” she said when Rodrigo opened his mouth.

“Okay. Fighters tend to do most of the front-line fighting. They have the heaviest armor, most powerful melee weapons and are the toughest in a stand-up fight. Some are good with bows, but most are ‘sword-and-board’ types. Rogues like me don’t go head-on, but come at them from the sides or rear. We tend to do a lot of bow-work, mostly from the shadows.” Verdigris looked at him with a scowl. “Hey, we’re not set up for or trained for that kind of fighting, and heavy armor gets in the way of our main line of work. Mages and sorcerers are worse off, ‘cause armor is too constricting, normally. What I’m wearing is enchanted to be lighter and easier to move in, while still protecting as well as heavier armors.

“Something else to think about is magic weapons. I don’t have much that’s mundane, it’s all enchanted to give me a better chance of hitting them through the armor. Some are more powerful, obviously. Magekiller’s been enchanted to target arcane spell-casters. My rapier’s been magicked to make it easy to slip through chinks in armor, and to deliver a spell-like attack power when it hits. Added to that, the metal’s been changed to bypass certain creatures’ damage resistance, or immunity to normal weapons.

“And then we have magic items. This ring – ” he pointed to the ruby-topped band “ – stores spells I can turn loose on call. It’s great for spells I can’t cast myself, but I can put them into the ring from a spell scroll, and I keep a few scrolls to paw. I’ll get to those in a little while,” he said to Twilight, who was about to ask. “This ring lets me fall without having to worry about being injured. This ring improves my defense a lot. I’ve got a couple more that protect me from specific threats.

“These boots improve my ability to move silently. The cloak adds more protection. These wands fire missiles of force that don’t do a lot of damage, but never miss. This wand identifies items without me having to use up a spell slot. This one improves your natural armor, or gives it to you. And there’s more, lots more.”

“Scrolls are basically spells put onto parchment, and depending on what they do, anyone – or anypony – can use them. Some can’t be cast by anyone but an arcane caster, but they’re still useful. Healing scrolls are easiest for anyone, ‘cause they’re made to be used.”

“Can any spell be put on them?” Verdigris asked.

“Yep, and you can make a few nasty traps that way. Read the scroll, you set it off. Some will destroy whatever it’s protecting, some won’t. It’s meant to stop people like me from taking stuff someone wants to keep,” he finished with a nasty grin. “Keeps me on my toes, so I don’t get soft.”

“Doesn’t that make adventuring dangerous?”

“It does, but each profession has certain perks, for lack of a better word. I can dodge like no one’s business, while mages and clerics have tremendous willpower, and fighters are tough as nails or old trees. Some spells work better than others, but not always perfectly.” Kang grinned again. “Keeps life interesting.”

“I’d imagine,” Luna replied drily. “What are the Nightingales likely to do?”

Rodrigo frowned thoughtfully. “Once they get back together, they’ll look for food, then scout out the land, learn what’s out there, and probably make contact. I can’t say they’d be nice about it. They work outside the law, even if assassins are almost-legal.”

“Almost?” Twilight said, her eyes wide.

“People in power – or who want to stay in power – use them to remove, ah, minor obstacles,” the Arkastin replied. He didn’t seem comfortable talking about it. “They’re used politically, for the most part. Some are religiously motivated, but that’s by fanatical groups who want to take over, or change society to match what they believe it should be.” He sighed. “Michael knows more about them than I ever will.”

“He cannot stay very long, and has departed,” Luna replied soberly. “No doubt he has told you of his problems.” Rodrigo nodded. “They are, from what you have said, the latter kind?” Another nod. Luna sighed. “That bodes ill. If they are, they will not see ponies as thinking, feeling beings, or so it seems.”

“I can’t tell you. I don’t know what motivates them, and I don’t want to know.”

“Assassins,” Verdigris mused aloud. “They strike at night, don’t they?”

“Any time, actually. They use disguise, misdirection, concealment and stealth; everything I do, but to get close to their target. I just steal stuff,” Rodrigo said distastefully. “I know, I’m splitting hairs, but I don’t kill unless I have to; or unless someone really pisses me off.”

“Jin,” Luna said. When Rodrigo stared at her, she continued, “While I do not match Lunaria completely, we are enough alike that we can communicate. Most Goddesses of a particular portfolio are. We met and talked a short time ago, in the Dream Realm. It was a relief to speak something other than Equish; I needed to practice my Arkastin. I thought it was a chance meeting, but now I know better. We are, other than our origins, the same.” She looked at him sadly. “And I saw your dreams, though I did not know it at the time. She was very special.”

Rodrigo nodded. “Applejack thought I was talking about you when I mentioned her. I guess she was right.”

Luna nodded. “As I said, what may come is not set in stone. We must warn them, Verdigris.”

“I don’t know if Golden will listen to me. We didn’t part on the best of terms. I think still she’s upset about how I told her that Eaglefeather wasn’t her problem any more.” He shook his head. “Bucking leaders and their stiff necks. And their case of ‘leadership syndrome’. The only good thing is you and Celestia don’t have it.”

Luna smiled, and it wasn’t a pleasant one. “Prithee tell, my love, how didst thou reach that conclusion? To what evidence canst thou point? Pray tell, what cause hast thou to say that?” Verdigris looked at her in surprise. “Exactly. None. We have it, but unlike others, we control it, not the opposite. Golden Eagle is still young for a mortal, despite her apparent age, and you have less experience than she. You have learned much, quickly and well, but you are still younger than Twilight. Age brings wisdom, but also arrogance and conceit. So does learning. Thou needs remember there is more yet to learn.”

Verdigris bowed his head, blushing slightly. “I’m sorry. It still bothers me.”

“Prevent it from happening again, and thou might be forgiven.” Luna drew out a chair, and a map of Equestria appeared. “That aside, we must prepare. Shall we?”

Author's Note:

I shouldn't need to explain a lot, but - questions? PM.
Past incidents given took place in gaming. Some details might be off, but the essential facts are still there. Colored by Rodrigo's viewpoint, of course.
Terrene is from Digodragon's web comic, which is currently on hiatus, until he figures out how to fix the plot.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment