• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 575 Views, 2 Comments

Fission's Textual Tidbits - Fission



A compilation of my Thirty Minute Ponies stories ranging in genre anywhere from romance to sad (I like romance more though). Presented mostly in unedited form, with perhaps a few minor touchups.

  • ...
 2
 575

"Holding On" - TMP Prompt #219 - Confession, Bittersweet

Holding On
By Fissionprime

The prompt: I resolve to let go.

I was only trying…to be brave.

Rainbow Dash stared straight back at her, her mouth hanging slightly open.

“Fluttershy,” she stammered, “You’re not serious. This is just a joke…right? Please tell me this is a prank.”

The other pegasus answered with nothing but a quiet squeak and hid behind her pink mane.

“Pinkie Pie, I know you’re hiding somewhere! This isn’t something that you pull a prank about!” yelled Rainbow Dash, her eyes shining.

No one answered her.

“Fluttershy, are you…are you serious?”

Fluttershy meekly nodded her head. There was no turning back.

“Oh, Fluttershy, this isn’t what was supposed to happen. I love you, but…not in that way.

The demure pegasus coaxed herself out from behind her mane, revealing the tears streaming down her face. “Rainbow Dash, I’m sorry. It’s my fault for doing this to you and I really sh—“

“No Fluttershy, this isn’t your fault. It’s nopony’s fault. You know that you’ve been my best friend for years, and it hurts so much to say this, but I just can’t be that pony for you. I’ll always be here for you, but I just don’t like you in a, you know, romantic way.”

“It’s okay. I-I know it’s not your fault. But it’s still so…so hard,” Fluttershy managed through her tears before she was pulled into a tight hug.

“You know, Fluttershy, I wasn’t joking when I said that I love you. You’re my best friend, and nothing can change that; not this, not anything. I’ll always be there for you, Fluttershy, no matter what. I’m sorry I didn’t notice sooner, it’s just…How long?”

“Ever since flight school, I’ve thought you were the most amazing pony. You fly like I’ve always wished I could, and you’re brave, just like I’m not. I just always knew that I wouldn’t be good enough for a pony as cool as you, and I was right.”

Rainbow Dash pulled her closer. “Fluttershy, you’re every bit good enough for a pony like me. Hay, I don’t think there’s a pony in Equestria that wouldn’t be lucky to have you. I just know that it couldn’t work between us. I’ve never been good at that kind of stuff, and I just know that I couldn’t be the kind of pony that you deserve. And to say you’re not brave, do you know what that sounds like? You just confessed your love for somepony. That’s something that I’ve never been able to do before. I had one crush back in flight school where I couldn’t even talk to the colt. Me: not being able to talk; think about that one!”

She loosened her grip a bit and looked Fluttershy in the eyes. “Are you feeling any better?”

“Yes,” said Fluttershy, “I think I am. This really isn’t going to affect our friendship though?”

“Fluttershy, you’re my oldest and best friend in all of Equestria. There’s nothing that I would ever let change what we have.”

“One more question,” murmured Fluttershy. “Can you hold me for a little while longer?”

Rainbow Dash responded by pulling her closer and gently rubbing her back.

Perhaps letting go would not be so difficult with somepony to hold on to.

Author's Note:

I actually had two drastically different ideas for this prompt, and wrote both of them. I'm not sure right now if I'm going to post the other one on this particular compilation, because there's another fic I'll be submitting soon that it might fit better as a bonus piece to. We'll see, I guess.