• Published 23rd Feb 2013
  • 870 Views, 32 Comments

The Master Game - WanderingPhysicist



The Master shows up in Ponyville to torment his old 'friend', The Wandering Physicist. Instead, he ends up harassing everypony TWP cares for as a distraction while he tries to conquer Equestria.

  • ...
1
 32
 870

Like Apple Pie

Applejack trots to Ponyville park. She is carrying a couple saddlebags with her. The farmer scans the park. She sees Fluttershy and her foals packing up a picnic before spotting who she came for.

‘Satsuma!’ Applejack calls. ‘Time t’ go.’

The young colt groans and packs up his book. He trots to his mother right as Fluttershy and her family trot up. The pegasus smiles at her friend.

‘Good to see you, Applejack,’ Fluttershy greets.

Fluttershy was the first friend to forgive Applejack for the less-than-honest origin of the farmer’s son. Because of her Element of Kindness and her previous transgressions with Satsuma’s father, the shy pegasus supported her friend through tough times. By the same token, Applejack helped her friend gain the courage to court and wed her future husband, despite Fluttershy going after Applejack’s former coltfriend. The two friends have remained close, and their foals get along well.

‘Howdy, Fluttershy,’ Applejack replies. ‘Great seein’ ya ‘round.’

‘Hi, Miss Fluttershy,’ Satsuma greets.

‘Freya, Kain, aren’t you going to say “hello”?’

A young batpony colt groans. ‘Hello, Miss Applejack and Satsuma.’

A batpony filly squeaks and hides behind her mother. Satsuma waves slightly at the other foals, causing the filly to hide even more.

‘Looks like you are going on a trip,’ Fluttershy notices.

‘Yep!’ Applejack replies. ‘Babs Seed is havin’ a get t’gether in Manehatten and has invited the whole family. Satsuma and Ah are leavin’ t’day.’

‘That sounds great.’ The pegasus smiles, but a thought strikes and she gasps. ‘Oh! Does that mean that Apple Bloom will be there too?’

Applejack frowns. ‘Ah hope she is. She and Babs got along fine all these years. It’ll be good seein’ her happy fer once.’

‘She is always in a good mood when we take class trips to the library,’ Satsuma interjects.

Fluttershy hugs her friend. ‘Don’t worry. She can’t stay mad at you forever.’

‘Ah hope so,’ Applejack sighs. ‘Ah really hope so...’

Apple Bloom searches through a crowded train for her seat. The young mare forces her way past the conductor. She glances back as she moves to the next car. She lets out a groan as she has to force her way past the other passengers before arriving at her seat. The young mare sighs in relief then growls when she sees the pony she is sitting with.

‘Uh, good t’ see ya, little sis,’ Applejack greets.

Apple Bloom snorts and looks away. Satsuma looks at his mother and his aunt. A whistle blows, and the train starts moving.

‘So, uh, are y’all excited t’ see yer cousin again?’

Apple Bloom does not look at her sister.

‘Have ya at least been well?’

Apple Bloom scowls and glances at her sister.

‘She always says she is doing fine when I see her in Rei’s or Lucas’ shops,’ Satsuma speaks up.

‘O’ course Ah’m fine,’ Apple Bloom grumbles. ‘Ah don’ have t’ put up with yer mom there.’

Applejack shakes her head. ‘Ah’m only respecting your space.’

Apple Bloom snorts again as she stares out of the window. Applejack sighs, knowing that it is going to be a long trip.

It is getting late on the trip to Manehatten. Satsuma puts his book back in his saddlebag and starts helping his mother get out their dinner. Apple Bloom sighs and looks around for the meal service.

‘We brought plenty if ya want some,’ Applejack says, offering an apple.

Apple Bloom ignores her sister and continues watching for an official. The older sister sighs and sets down the apple.

‘Ya don’ have t’ talk t’ me t’ accept a gift from me.’

Satsuma picks up the apple and holds it out. ‘Come on, Apple Bloom. This will save you some bits.’

The young mare snatches the apple. ‘Thanks. Yer a good kid. Somepony could learn a lesson from ya.’

‘Ah know yer upset with me,’ Applejack sighs, ‘but how can Ah make it better if ya won’ talk t’ me?’

‘Ah wouldn’ have t’ talk t’ ya if Ah got t’ pick mah seat,’ the younger mare hisses. She catches a conductor as he passes. ‘How much longer until we reach Manehatten?’

‘Oh, you’re almost at your final destination,’ the conductor laughs.

The conductor turns and leaps at the passenger. Apple Bloom springs from her seat, spins and kicks him into the wall. She lands by punching another passenger into the floor. The other passengers raise and surround the Apples. Applejack and Satsuma look around, scared and confused.

‘One of mah best friends is a changelin’,’ Apple Bloom snorts. ‘Don’ ya think Ah could tell y’all are too?’

Green flames surround the other passengers as they revert to their changeling form. Satsuma grabs his mother for protection.

‘Ah thought Celestia and Chrysalis made peace,’ Applejack says, getting up and moving Satsuma behind her.

‘If ya thought she was the only queen, then yer dumber than Ah thought,’ Apple Bloom spits back.

Applejack snorts at the insult. ‘Fine. Y’all take the ones over there. Ah’ll handle the rest.’

‘Ha! Ah’ll be sure t’ get the ones ya can’t handle.’

The changelings advance. Apple Bloom raises to her hind legs and delivers a roundhouse kick to the nearest changeling. She swings a punch, knocking out another changeling. Applejack plows through several changelings and throws one into the wall. She bucks one out of a window as it tries going after Satsuma.

Applejack tosses her son onto her back. ‘We have t’ get t’ another car.’

‘Are ya blind and stupid?’ Apple Bloom shouts as she punches two changelings at once. ‘We’re the only ponies who ain’t changelin’s on the train!’

‘What?!’

‘Mom. I’m scared.’

‘Don’ worry. We’ll make it out of here.’

‘Right, and how do we do that?’ Apple Bloom snorts.

Applejack looks around frantically. She notices something outside of the train. ‘This way.’

The farmer grabs her sister’s bow and pulls her back. Applejack pushes Apple Bloom out of a window, holds her hat and jumps out a second later. The three ponies land in a river.

‘What the hell!’ Apple Bloom shouts once she surfaces.

‘We’re safe from the changelin’s ain’t we?’

‘Del hid as a pegasus! Changelin's can fly!’

Apple Bloom points back towards the train. Hundreds of changelings swarm forward.

‘Ah, horse apples,’ Applejack curses.

‘Mom!’

Applejack looks behind her. Satsuma is no longer on her back. The young colt is being washed downriver, struggling to swim back to his mother.

‘Satsuma!’

Applejack swims as hard as she can after her son. A changeling swoops down at the farmer. Another attacks Apple Bloom. The two sisters swat at the changelings as they dive bomb. Applejack turns away from her defence when a small swarm flies after Satsuma.

‘Satsuma! Swim t’ yer left!’ Apple Bloom shouts.

The colt starts swimming as fast as he can. Applejack tries swimming after her son, but Apple Bloom pulls her in the other direction. Ahead of the ponies, a large boulder splits the river in two.

‘Ya want us! Come and get us!’ Apple Bloom taunts as she drags her sister down the right path.

The changeling swarm stops at the fork as the ponies are swept in two different directions.

‘The little one won’t take much,’ a changeling notes. ‘A few of you follow me. The rest can have the others.’

The other changelings nod. The swarm splits and chases after their prey.

Applejack and Apple Bloom wash up on the shore of a small island. Both mares pant as they regain their strength. Applejack glances at her sister, growls and punches Apple Bloom in the muzzle. She climbs atop her sister and starts shaking her.

‘That was mah son!’ the farmer shouts. ‘Ya let them have mah son! Mah son is out there alone! What is wrong with ya!’

Apple Bloom pushes her sister off of her and stands. ‘He’ll be fine! He is a smart and tough kid! Not like anypony needs your help! Nopony needs ya! Yer stupid and ya get in the way and we all hate ya! Yer a stupid liar, and Ah hate ya!’

Applejack throws herself forward and swings a punch. Apple Bloom blocks the attack and headbutts her sister in the muzzle. The farmer bites the librarian’s mane and drags her around. With a mighty toss, Applejack throws her sister into a tree, untying her bow as she does. Apple Bloom picks herself up, her mane blowing free in the wind. The young mare gasps when she sees a piece of paper wafting towards the river. She gallops forward. Thinking she is being attacked, Applejack charges her sister. Apple Bloom jumps and uses her sister to gain height and catch the paper before it floats over the water. She clutches the paper tight.

Applejack snorts and adjusts her hat. ‘A piece o’ paper is important, but mah son ain’t?’

‘Shut the buck up!’ Apple Bloom shouts, crying. ‘This is all Ah have t’ remember ‘im by. Ya get Satsuma t’ remind ya of the pony ya love. Ah got nopony! Jus’ this piece of paper...’

‘Mah son is alone and surrounded bah changelin’s!’

‘So are we, but ya don’ here me complainin’!’

Applejack looks around. The changeling swarm surrounds the two ponies. Apple Bloom grumbles and retrieves her bow. She slips the paper back inside before sighing and adopting a fighting stance.

Satsuma gallops through a forest. His changeling pursuers hiss as they fly after the scared colt. The terrified colt trips over a fallen branch. He scrambles to retrieve his glasses. When Satsuma looks up, he is surrounded by changelings. The young colt whimpers and adjusts his broken glasses.

The changelings hiss and advance, but one hangs back. Green flames briefly surround the changeling as it becomes taller, slender changeling with long red hair and a dark blue chitin. The taller changeling grabs another changeling’s neck in her fangs. She kicks another into a tree, denting the tree. She throws the changeling from her mouth into the others. The taller changeling charges a spell on her horn and casts a spell binding the other changelings to the ground. She steps over Satsuma and extends a hoof.

‘Come with me if you want to live.’

‘W-who are you?’ the young colt stammers.

The changeling smiles. ‘What? You don’t recognize your big sister?’

‘Rei? You’re a changeling?’

‘No,’ Del groans. ‘I’m Del!’

Satsuma accepts the offered hoof. ‘Oh, Del! We never see you.’

Del lifts Satsuma to her back. ‘Not surprising. I’ve been travelling for most of your life.’

Del spreads her wings and takes off. Satsuma holds tight as they fly away.

‘Why are you here?’ Satsuma asks.

‘My sister heard of a rogue changeling group operating within Equestria’s borders,’ Del explains. ‘I volunteered to investigate. When I heard somepony calling himself “The Master” hiring them to attack your family, I had to help.’

‘Thank you, Del.’

Del swoops around. ‘Now, let’s find your mother.’

Applejack and Apple Bloom have been backed against a cliff. The changelings swarm around them. The sisters are covered in cuts and bruises.

‘Hate t’ admit it, sis, but we’re beat,’ Applejack pants.

‘Never! Starlight promised he’d see me again,’ Apple Bloom growls. ‘Ah ain’t seen ‘im yet, so it ain’t over!’

‘And Ah want t’ see Jimmy again, but that ain’t gonna happen at this rate.’

Apple Bloom pounds a changeling into the ground. ‘Ah ain’t never givin’ up! Even if Ah have t’ do it on my own! Ah can do it!’

The younger mare punches another changeling, but she gets bit in the leg. She screams and backs away holding her injury. Applejack unties her ponytail and wraps the wound.

‘Ya can’t do everythin’ on yer own. Whether we fight or fall, Ah’m here with ya,’ Applejack assures her sister.

‘No!’ Apple Bloom screams. ‘Ah can do it on mah own! Ah don’ need yer help. Ah don’ want yer help.’ She falls against her sister’s chest and sobs. ‘Ah don’ need yer love. Ah don’ miss ya. Ah don’ wanna admit it...’

Applejack hugs her sister. ‘Ah missed ya too, AB.’

‘Ah’m so sorry, Applejack. Ah was stupid t’ hate ya for all this time. Yer son is the best. Ya and Jimmy had a great kid. Ah don’ know what Ah was thinkin’. Ah don’ know if Ah was jealous or what, but Ah’m sorry.’

‘It’s okay. Ah hurt y’all with my lie. Ah kept mah pregnancy secret from y’all, even Jimmy. Ah’m a horrible sister.’

‘Even if it’s the last thin’ Ah do, Ah forgive ya, Applejack. Ah love ya.’

‘Ah love ya, too, little sis.’

The changelings hiss as they move in on their victims.

Apple Bloom holds her sister tight. ‘Ah’m not gonna see ya again... Ah’m sorry, Starlight.’

A sharp whistle cuts across the trap. Everypony looks up to see a unicorn’s form silhouetted atop the cliff. A light blue glow surrounds the unicorn’s horn, lighting a lock of green mane.

Apple Bloom gasps. ‘Starlight?’

‘PK STARSTORM!’

Large bursts of magic fall from the sky. The changelings try fleeing as they are struck down by the rain of magic. Applejack has to restrain her sister from climbing the cliff.

‘Starlight! Down here! Starlight!’ Apple Bloom cries.

Soon, the rain of magic stops. The changelings lay defeated around the base of the cliff. A few trees smolder within the blast radius.

‘Starlight!’

‘He’s gone, Apple Bloom.’

Apple Bloom gets control of herself and looks. The unicorn is no longer on the cliff.

‘That was ‘im!’ the young mare cries. ‘That was Starlight! He’d never let anythin’ happen t’ me. He came t’ save me!’

‘It’s okay, AB. He’ll be back.’

‘Are ya sure?’

Applejack nods. ‘Ah’m sure of it. Yer too special t’ let go. Ah never did, even if ya hated me.’

Apple Bloom frowns. ‘Yer right... Come on. Let’s find mah nephew.’

‘Ah think he found us.’

The mare look up to see Del fly down. The changeling princess looks at the unconscious drones scattered about. Satsuma drops from Del’s back and gallops to his mother.

‘Such a waste of drones,’ Del sighs. ‘I hope that light show alerted my uncle to our battle.’

‘I was so scared, mommy,’ Satsuma sobs as he hugs his mother.

‘We were worried for ya too,’ Applejack soothes. ‘It will be okay now.’

‘Is that ya, Del?’ Apple Bloom asks. ‘Yer a lot bigger than Ah remember.’

Del smiles. ‘Good to see you, Apple Bloom. May I suggest we catch up later? If this hive is anything like mine, reinforcements will arrive soon.’

Applejack tosses her son onto her back. ‘Ya lead the way. We’ll follow.’

Del nods and flies ahead of the ponies. Satsuma reaches under his mothers hat and uses her sonic to repair his glasses. Apple Bloom gallops beside her sister.

‘By the way, if ya lost that book ya had on the train, ya owe the library fifty bits t’ replace it.’

Applejack just laughs, glad she has her sister back.