• Published 10th Feb 2013
  • 7,072 Views, 191 Comments

The Tale of Saving Grace - Cold Spike



An Earth Pony Filly loves to go around and help others with her inventions. One day one of the Elements of Harmony discovers her talent and decides to get a bit too nosy. But Saving Grace has nothing to hide, right?

  • ...
9
 191
 7,072

Now What?

Night Shade woke before Fluttershy or Grace, yawning he stretched his limbs. He looked around just as the sun was rising and sighed. "Now what?" It had been his dream to make friends with a pony and be invited into their home, it came true. He just wasn't sure what that meant exactly. He looked over at Grace's sleeping form, Fluttershy had insisted they use her bed while she slept downstairs. He wasn't sure what the big fuss was about, if Fluttershy offered the bed then why would Grace argue? It made no sense to him. He debated on if he should wake her, in the end he figured the usual manner would work.

"...HEY GRACE!" She bolted upright and groaned, she knew exactly what had happened before most of her brain could comprehend her surroundings. Looking up she saw exactly what she had expected, a young changeling licking his lips and sighing.

"Enjoy your breakfast?" She said in a sarcastic manner. He smiled widely.

"Tasted great!" Then he frowned. "Um, Grace?"

"What? I'm not getting mad for you again just so-"

"No, it's just...what do we do now?"

"What do you mean?"

"We're in Fluttershy's cottage, now what do we do?" She giggled.

"First we wait for her to wake up, and then do whatever she want's I suppose...oh crud." She groaned.

"What?!"

"We can't send you home in the day, well I guess you could just take my form later...we'll figure it out..." At this Night Shade looked confused.

"Well, why not? We're friends with Fluttershy now, we can't I be friends with others?"

This was something that Grace was worried about. He had a kind heart and a truly innocent one at that, in short he didn't get it. To her what happened with Fluttershy last night was astonishing, the fact that she even trusted Night Shade was amazing too. She hated to admit it but most ponies were scared of their own shadow when it came to change. "Well, we should talk to Fluttershy first. I bet she can introduce you to all of her friends!" Except Twilight for now. He pondered this and smiled.

"Alright, well I'm still hungry so be right back..." She smiled and nodded but quickly realized her mistake. Dashing downstairs she sighed in relief to spot Fluttershy's waking form. He groaned however.

"Oh, good morning you two. Did you sleep well?" They both nodded.

"Can I see your friends now?" He beamed, Fluttershy looked on in bewilderment. Fluttershy turned her head to Grace who simply replied with a sheepish smile.

"I suppose I could introduce you to a few of mine...but first I need to get you both some breakfast and feed my animals." They nodded, she then stretched and left for the small kitchen area. Breakfast was a simple bowl of cereal and milk for each. Grace and Fluttershy ate happily while Night Shade poked and prodded his bowl.

"Oh, um, do changelings eat food as well?" Fluttershy tried her best to phrase it carefully, having witnessed the young colt's manners and method of eating from the night before.

Grace whispered into her ear. "Yes, he's just cranky cause he got a bit of anger emotions this morning from me which is his favorite. But, before he could scare you awake, you beat him to it." Night Shade rolled his eyes.

"...I heard that."

"I know, please eat though." So he did, still lingering on the idea of more anger but it never came.

"So, what should we do today?" Grace questioned. She honestly wanted to ask Fluttershy about her deal with her parents but thought better of it on their bright morning.

"Well, first we can feed the animals. If you two want to help?" They nodded. "Wonderful! With you both it should only take half the time. Oh and I was hoping to visit my friend Rainbow Dash and watch her new tricks today..." Fluttershy kept her smile but turned to Grace as she sighed. Night Shade as young as he was got the message.

"This Rainbow Dash isn't going to like me huh?"

"No, no, no, no, no! I just need to talk with her first, she'll understand. But sometimes she can be a bit rash." He tiled his head to the side but said nothing. He figured he had a 50/50 shot of not being turned in.

"She won't turn him in or anything right?" Grace questioned, Fluttershy paused and stared off into space while she imagined the infinite possibilities.

"No, I'll make sure of it but just to be safe, we better hide Night Shade while I talk to her but let's worry about that when the time comes." Night Shade wasn't convinced but he decided to help his new piece of family feed her animals, birds excluded. They were simple jobs, Night Shade used his unicorn magic to help speed them up, Levitating bags of feed and other things like hay. By the time they were finished, he felt exhausted yet Grace was still smiling away. He grumbled.

"Nothing ever makes you tired does it?"

"Just you!" She giggled with her response and he had to admit it sounded funny.

"Right then, are you ready to meet Rainbow Dash?" Night Shade felt hesitant. Still, he figured that hiding was a full proof plan. Even if she freaked out, she wouldn't be able to find him. He nodded.

Night Shade had found a simple bush to hide in while he watched a rainbow maned pegasus fly about and do tricks. Grace and Fluttershy cheered her on after introducing themselves. After a while the tricks died down and he saw Fluttershy talk to the pegasus. She listened for a good while before nodding and tilting her head to the side, finally she conceded in her thoughts and smiled at her after saying something else. Fluttershy smiled back, and then immediately pointed in the direction of his bush. He froze up while panicking in his mind. He gave a silent prayer after closing his eyes and when he opened them, she was gone. He sighed in relief.

"Sup?" Practically jumping out of his chitin, he angrily glared up at the mare he had been watching, Rainbow Dash. "Boy, you should have seen you, hilarious!" Emotions washed over him from the mare, ones of happiness. But he knew why she was, and what she was doing. He hissed.

"That is not funny!" Grace heard this after walking over and giggled.

"Like how it wasn't funny when you woke me up this morning?" He had to admit that she had a point, he just wished that point had come later.

"So, you are a changeling..."

"And?"

"And you're looking for friends right?"

"Yes..."

"And for a trainer right?"

"Yeah- Wait what?" He questioned, she was smiling with pride.

"Well with those wings of yours I figured you could use a coach to teach how to really fly!"

"I know how to fly just fine." She paused but then smirked again.

"Oh really? Can you do this?" She shot up straight into the air and circled around several times in a few loops. She then finished off with one last corkscrew and landed gracefully in front of him, he was speechless for a while.

"No, I um, can't do that." He admitted with a sense of regret.

"No problem! I can teach ya! This is gonna be awesome, I now have two students! Scoots is gonna freak!"

"But, why teach me?"

"Because that's what friends and family do for one another, Night Shade." Fluttershy walked over having heard the gist of their conversation. He smiled.

"Cool! Okay, I got two friends now- wait Grace is a friend...So three!" They all giggled for a while and then he paused and looked back at Fluttershy.

"Can you show me to your other friends?" She smiled and nodded.

"I think so, but maybe Rainbow Dash would like to come along?"

"Sure, who's next on your little friend quest?" She giggled at her own joke.

"Well, I wanted to save Twilight for last because of, well you know." She nodded, Night Shade shrugged at that figuring it had something to do with the invasion on Canterlot.

"What about Applejack?" Dash offered. Fluttershy pondered this for a while and nodded.

"Sure, would you like to meet Applejack, Night Shade?" He nodded eagerly but it was Dash who responded to their first issue.

"Uh, not that I don't trust the little guy but...won't others not be so forgiving Fluttershy?" Dash whispered into her ear and she knew exactly what she meant. Fluttershy then had an idea, it was a small one but she reasoned it would last Night Shade until they made it to Sweet Apple Acres. She returned from her cottage with a very large hat and placed it on his head.

"Night Shade, would you please change into Grace's form?" Looking confused, he shrugged and then obliged. "There, they look the same but at least now he looks like her little sister."

"Perfect! Also that green fire thing you did was pretty cool kid!" He beamed.

It was a short trip the apple orchard, thankfully nopony had bothered them. Rainbow Dash found their friend bucking apples with her little sister. She was about to explain what was going on when the youngest spoke up.

"Hey! How can there be two of ya?" Apple Bloom pointed to the two Grace's, they gave each other uneasy looks. Just then a small unicorn strode up and stopped to examine everypony. Night Shade turned around to spot the form of Sweetie Belle, his disguise instantly faltered and then failed entirely. Applejack, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle looked on in shock. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were about to explain the situation when two of the three child ponies screamed.

"CHANGELING!" They said in union. Apple Bloom began scrambling on her hoofs but was quickly shoved behind her bigger sister while she took up a fighting stance. Sweetie Belle was frozen to the spot, as was Night Shade.

"Applejack, calm down." Applejack looked up to find Fluttershy hovering above them all, talking in an authoritative tone. This caused the cowpony to stop and stare, was her timid friend of all ponies actually acting this way?

"Calm down? Fluttershy, it's a dang changeling, they are dangerous!"

"He isn’t, will you just allow us to explain? Also, Sweetie Belle please come over here." The unicorn hesitated but nodded. Applejack looked over at Night Shade who had remained indifferent the entire time, she then noticed the colt turn his head to Grace who returned with a warm smile.

"Alrighty, explain Fluttershy. And we want the truth!"

Fluttershy smiled and nodded, she had never felt more eager in her life to not stray from the truth. Applejack and the two Cutie Mark Crusaders listened without question, when the story was finished Applejack did something unexpected. She walked up to the changeling and paused, while circling around him a few times. Night Shade could taste something, but it wasn't fear just curiosity maybe. Finally she spoke up.

"Alright, ah can be your friend if that's what you want youngin." Applejack offered her hoof, he accepted it without hesitation much to the shock of the two crusaders. Apple Bloom shook it off and introduced herself, he laughed nervously knowing full well that he had already met them. But then the unicorn strode up and offered her hoof.

"Um, my name's Sweetie Belle and I would love to be your friend!" The smile, the blush and the energy. It was all too much for him and he promptly fainted in front of what he assumed was the love of his life. Grace could only utter one word, to the shock of the rest of the pony’s reactions to his reaction.

"...Buck."