• Published 21st Dec 2012
  • 1,378 Views, 51 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Dogs of Winter - Cloudhammer



A new serum is made, and a man makes his choice.

  • ...
23
 51
 1,378

08 - Fork in the Road

The howl was all-consuming, a fire raging in his chest that was more than just the air in his lungs, more than just the sound ringing in his ears. The sight of the imprisoned diamond dogs had lit that fire like a match to tinder. Finally, regretfully, Rangel felt the howl fall silent, and opened his eyes. The rest of the diamond dogs fell silent as well, and the sounds of the world rushed back in.

“Damnit Rangel, what in God’s name were you thinking?” Spade hissed, tossing his head. “Diamond, what’s going on down there?”

“Looks like a couple of ‘em are goin’ airborne, sir!” Diamond called back, his wings half-spread. “We gotta get scarce, right the hell now.”

“Alright. Move out, Cards. You too, um, dogs.” Spade wasted no time in half-pushing Rangel into the cave, the other ponies and diamond dogs following hurriedly after. Once inside the tunnel, they pressed themselves out of sight and held their breath. A pair of shadows passed by the opening, warbling shrieks causing everyone to press even more against the stone. The shadows continued on, and after another few minutes everyone relaxed.

Spade swung his glare back to Rangel. “I have had it with your behavior lately, Rangel. You need to control yourself, or you’re going to put this entire mission in jeopardy!” He stamped his hoof angrily as he and Rangel stood hoof to paw, both refusing to back down.

Fido growled and moved toward Spade, paws extended to grab him, when a literal wall of muscle interposed itself. “Don’t even think about it,” Club said calmly as he stared at the slightly taller diamond dog. The two ponies shifted slightly until they stood shoulder to shoulder, while Rover and Spot moved to stand with Rangel and Fido.

Heart glanced back and forth, tail lashing anxiously as he tried to think of a way to resolve this standoff. Across from him, Diamond kept a wary eye on the tunnel opening, though the fluttering of his wings betrayed his nervousness.

“I’m going to tell you how it is, Rangel,” Spade said, tapping a hoof on the ground. “We have our orders. If even one griffon escapes that camp, we’ve failed. We need to find out more information about what’s going on here in Scythion-”

“And what if the start of that answer is in that camp, Spade?” he retorted. “We won’t find answers by hiding and watching from a distance, we have to take action! For Christ’s sake, they were beating slaves, Spade! We’re supposed to stand for better than that. I swore I’d stand for better than that after St Louis!” Rangel was shouting in English by the end, his eyes hot with anger.

“We have our orders, Rangel. If you refuse to follow them, you’re not only putting the team at risk, but you’ll be considered AWOL!”

“I fuckin’ might as well be!” Rangel snapped before he turned about and stormed off, the rest of the diamond dogs warily following.

“Sir, Rangel does have a point-” Heart started, only to quail under the glare Spade shot his way.

“Not now, Heart.” Spade snorted irritably and trotted to the other side of the cave. Club followed him, and the two began whispering to each other.

“Diamond?” Heart asked weakly, looking to him for support.

“Look, Heart...” he sighed, “I got to keep eyes on the sky, there’s still griffons out there.”

“R-right,” Heart replied. He stood there awkwardly, trying desperately to think of a way to resolve the mess they’d found themselves in. Finally, he made his decision and turned, ears alert despite his nervousness.

Fido looked up as Heart approached, his lip curling up in a slight snarl. “What pony want?”

“I... I want to talk to Rangel, err... your alpha,” Heart finished weakly, forehoof pawing at the rough stone.

“Fido, let him through,” Rangel said without turning. “What do you want, ‘Heart’?”

The slight edge on his name wasn’t lost on the unicorn, who took a few hesitant steps forward, giving Fido and Rover each a worried glance. “Well, I just wanted to try to talk to you-”

Rangel cut him off with a curt shake of his head. “Do you mean it, or is Spade just trying to figure out how serious I am about liberating the camp?”

“No, I’m just here to talk to you.” Heart cautiously trotted closer. “Look, I know things have been kind of tense since the wyvern attack...” he decided to simply ignore Rangel’s huff of derision and press on, “and I wanted to try to understand your side of things.”

Rangel glanced over at Heart, and started to tell him to fuck off when he felt a tug on his arm. He looked down at Spot, the shorter dog staring firmly at him. “What?”

“Alpha must calm self. It right to be angry at seeing other packs enslaved. But alpha must remember to be strong both outside and inside. Pack cannot, will not survive if it does not work together.” Spot’s tail wagged a little. “Maybe this time alpha include Spot in talk?”

Rangel couldn’t help but smile a little at Spot’s enthusiasm. “Sorry, but not yet.”

Spot scowled, though he cuffed Rangel good-naturedly and turned back to the others. “Alpha just remember promise.”

Rangel shook his head wryly before he looked at Heart. “Alright, so what do you want to talk about then?” He made sure he was speaking English for this. He wasn’t ready for the pack to learn just everything yet, no matter how much it hurt to hide the truth from them.

“Well, I wanted to ask what you meant earlier,” Heart asked quietly.

Rangel glanced at the ground, mind racing. He knew the terms of his deal were supposed to be kept confidential, but with everything that had happened, he had to tell someone. He wanted to wait for the right time to tell the pack, but Heart’s scent told Rangel he was being honest. “Alright, but this stays between us.” He shifted so he was facing Heart and took a breath. “Basically, since I was involved in that shitfest in St Louis, I was given a deal: Test the Canification serum and I get out of prison early.”

“Wait, then that means-”

Rangel cut him off with a quick nod. “Yep. Deployed with the HLF, resigned by shooting my commander when he ordered me to clear a room full of foals. Surrendered to police when it was all said and done.”

“And they still sent you to jail?” Heart asked despite himself.

Rangel shrugged. “Honestly, I expected worse. Desertion and terrorism don’t sit too well with the Army, and usually have one outcome.”

“So then what-” Heart stopped as Rangel lifted a paw.

“It gets better. Part of the deal, so that the US wouldn’t have to admit they recruited a convicted terrorist into the program, was that I couldn’t come back to the US. Well, at least back to my old life. It was pushed pretty hard that I consider taking up residence here in Equestria.”

Heart sat there, stunned for a second. “I... don’t know what to say...”

Rangel huffed. “Don’t say anything. I had the chance to say no. Though with the way things are going, wondering if I should have said it instead.”

Heart shook his head vehemently. “Don’t say that. If you hadn’t, we’d probably all be wyvern food. Or we’d not have found the diamond dogs, and be worse off with anything else that we find here.” He put a hoof on Rangel’s arm, ignoring the warning growls from the other diamond dogs. “Look, the truth is we need you as much as you need us. So I’ve got your back, Steven.”

Rangel stared at him for a second, eyes conflicted. He wanted to stay angry at Heart, but he could both hear and smell the sincerity in his tone. Finally, he shook his head in bemusement. “Alright.” He pushed himself to his paws and motioned for the pack to follow him. He made his way across the cave to stand in front of Spade. “Look Spade, I’m going to liberate that camp, no matter what you say otherwise.”

Spade glowered at him, then snorted in resignation. “Rangel, I appreciate your intention, I do. But this is too risky for the mission. If you go, you’ll be on your own. I can’t risk the whole team on this-”

“Actually, sir...” Heart trailed off as Spade turned his head to look at him, but took a deep breath and continued, “I’m with Rangel on this one. I don’t want to risk the mission either, but I can’t see stuff like that and not do something.”

“Heart, I’m only going to say this once-” Spade started, only to stop as Diamond hurriedly trotted back into the cave.

“Boss, got somethin’ you might be interested in. Took another peek down at the camp and you’re not gonna like what I saw: They got Bloodeye down there.”

Spade whipped his head around. “You’re sure?”

Diamond snorted. “Have I ever been wrong with my spotting? He’s not with the regular prisoners, but they got him all the same.”

Spade was silent as he stared off into space. Finally, he shook his head ruefully. “Can’t catch a break, it seems.” He looked over to Rangel. “Alright then, I suppose we will be liberating that camp. What plan did you have in mind?”

Rangel hesitated. “Well, I was working it out...” He scowled as Spade chuckled. “So what’s your great idea then?”

“Come on Rangel, think this through. We’re looking at a fortress, with only one way in or out. So...” he trailed off, an expectant look in his eye.

“So we’ll just make our own way in,” Rangel replied, his jaw dropping in a wry smile. “I think we can deliver that just fine.” He motioned the other diamond dogs to gather around. “Alright, here’s the plan.” As he explained, the other diamond dogs grinned eagerly, tails wagging in anticipation.

The two griffons unlucky enough to draw the night shift huddled around a small fire, feathers fluffed to ward off the cold.

“Why do we always get stuck with guarding these wastes of meat?” one of the guards said with an irritated clack of his beak.

“Because we’re not Blooded, or because our superiors won’t assign us to a raiding party,” another replied rhetorically. “Look at it this way, if Iron Talons wants to pay us to sit around guarding prisoners, I’m okay with that. Nothing happens out here anyway.”

The first guard opened his beak to reply when there was a dull crack. The guards warbled nervously as they started to reach for their weapons, when the guard barracks swayed slightly and abruptly fell in on itself. A cloud of dust and snow exploded upward as the ceiling broke apart, followed by the walls.

Muffled shrieks could be heard as the sound of crashing wood and stone faded, and once their shock wore off the two griffons started to run forward. They barely made five steps before the ground abruptly caved in, a pair of dirt-stained paws gripped their ankles, and they found themselves up to their necks in the ground. A hulking form heaved itself out of the dirt and glared at them.

“Stay,” Fido growled. A few seconds passed, before he abruptly started laughing. “Ha, stay…”

The overseer had jolted awake at the crash, and was halfway into his armor when a series of sharp snaps rang out. He managed to look down in time to see a circle of cracks form and the floor cave in, sending him falling head over claws into a dark cave only lit by his lantern overhead. As he tried to get his bearings, he realized he wasn’t alone, four blurry figures glaring at him. He blinked rapidly and they swam into focus, and his eyes widened in disbelief at the sight of three ponies and a diamond dog.

“Club, restrain him,” Spade ordered coldly.

Club nodded and strode forward, expression as calm as if he were simply walking along the street.

The overseer smirked as he rolled to his claws. “One pony? And a mere mud pony at that? You must be joking.” He flexed his paws in anticipation before he lunged forward.

Moments later, Rover scratched his head as the spectacle unfolded before him. “Rover admit, he not think leg could bend that way.”

Diamond cringed slightly as the overseer shrieked in pain. “No argument from me there. Think he’s had enough, Boss?”

Spade’s ear flicked as the overseer shrieked again. “I’m only going to ask you once-”

“Please! I surrender!” the overseer howled desperately as Club let up on the pressure. With a snort he reached into his saddlebag and tugged out some rope. A few deft movements later and the overseer was securely tied, including his beak.

“Alright, that’s taken care of,” Spade remarked. “Let’s get going, we need to get Bloodeye and meet with the others.”

The slaves had been startled awake by the sound of the building collapsing, but their chains prevented them from much more than nervous shaking. The sharp cracks of a circular section of floor falling inward only made it worse, with several dogs inadvertently marking new territory.

Tumble stared intently at the gaping hole, eyes wide as a red light began to illuminate the room. A tall, cloaked figure climbed out of the hole, alongside two shorter figures. He sniffed cautiously and recoiled in surprise as he realized that two of them were dogs like him. Something was off about their scents though, and he tilted his head. “Why you here?” he growled softly.

Rangel glanced at the pup in confusion. “We’re rescuing you,” he replied in Stonetongue before he looked at Heart. “Think you can undo their restraints?”

Heart fidgeted. “Yeah, but...” he glanced worriedly at the griffons. “What do we do with them?”

Rangel glanced at them, his eyes cold. “Spot, explain to the dogs that we’re going to get them out of here, and lead them back up the tunnel. Heart, help him get their chains off.”

“Right,” Heart said as he trotted to the nearest diamond dog, Spot following after him. While the dog spoke reassuringly to the prisoner, Heart gripped the bolt in his magic and forced it from the wall. “Whew, they stuck these things in tight. Gimme a second here.”

Rangel walked over to the closest griffon and crouched down so they were eye to eye. “Can you understand me?” When he was met with a blank stare, he sighed. “Okay, guess we’re just winging it.” He put a finger to his mouth, then pointed to the tunnel. “You understand?” He repeated the gesture and the griffon nodded emphatically. “Alright, hold still.” He tugged the bolt free and carefully undid the chains, taking a step back as the griffon stretched its wings. They stared at each other for a moment, each sizing the other up before the griffon turned and started to release the others.

Rangel watched him for a second, then turned toward the pup he’d talked to before. “Alright, stay still, I’ll let you go.”

“Not trust griffons,” Tumble growled, his eyes fixed on the freed griffons. “They kill us at first chance. Should leave them.”

Rangel stared at him, then shook his head. “Sorry, but I don’t leave prisoners to starve.” He pulled the bolt from the wall and started to unravel the chain. “Once we’re free, they’ll be told to go south, out of our way.”

Tumble stared at Rangel, his eyes narrowed. “And where you going?”

Rangel thought it over for a second, then shrugged. Just telling him a rough direction wouldn’t give much away. “North.”

Tumble blinked. “You crazy.”

“So, Boss,” Diamond remarked with a snort as he looked at the now-crowded cave, “still think this was a good idea?”

Spade sighed. On one side of the cave, Rangel and the other diamond dogs tended to theirs, while on the other side, Heart and Bloodeye saw to the griffons. However, both sides were starting to give each other pointed looks, and the atmosphere was rapidly becoming hostile. He finally made up his mind and trotted toward the griffons “Alright Bloodeye, I need you to translate for me.” At Bloodeye’s nod he took a deep breath. “We’re going to release you on the condition that you go south. It’s pretty clear that whoever imprisoned you will be coming to find out what happened here.”

Bloodeye rapidly spoke, a chorus of warbles answering him as the other griffons crowded forward. He finished and turned back to Spade. “They will go south, my village will see to hiding them. I need to go with them-”

“I’m sorry, but I need you to stay with us,” Spade said sharply. “We need someone who knows the local language, to interrogate him.” He indicated the captured overseer with his head, who brooded silently under Club’s care. “And you owe me the truth about what’s going on here in Scythion.”

Bloodeye glared at him, but after a few seconds seemed to crumble. “Alright, I’ll tell you everything. But you must promise to do what you can to help.”

“We’ll see what you have to say, then I’ll tell you what we can and cannot do,” Spade replied with a grunt.

Across the cave, the diamond dogs were huddled around Spot, the diminutive troll gesturing wildly as he explained the situation. Well, the situation as he saw it, anyway.

“And so Spot tell alpha of course diamond dogs know how to pick good gem!” Spot concluded with a barking laugh as the other dogs joined in.

“Alright, alright, knock it off, Spot,” Rangel grumbled.

Spot waved a paw dismissively and turned back to the others. “Anyway, Rangel pack go north, where dogs go?”

Rangel took a step forward, that feeling of emptiness starting to return, albeit weaker than it had before he’d found Spot and the others. “Any dog who wants a little payback can join me. I would bet that there’ll be more of those camps

A larger dog, skin loose on his frame from deprivation, took a step forward. “Granite take his pack to the Dawnward Rise. Other dogs there. We hide, we go deep. Griffons not follow.” The other dogs started muttering agreement, with several moving to stand next to him. He tilted his head and gave Rangel an appraising look. “You should follow. Yapper Ten-Howls could use pack like yours.”

“Well-” Rangel started to reply, only for Bloodeye to cut him off.

“Wait a minute, did he just say Yapper?” Bloodeye seemed torn between honest curiosity and nervousness.

“Yeah, what about it?” Rangel asked irritably.

“He’s one of the strongest alphas in the north. There’s a huge reward from Iron Talons for proof of death, even more for his capture,” Bloodeye said animatedly, only to quail as the assembled dogs growled in unison. “I’m not interested in capturing him, that’s suicide! Just saying...” he trailed off nervously and took a few steps back. “He’s also been opposing Iron Talons for as long as I know, so he probably has even more information on what’s going on here in Scythion than I do.”

“Well, what do you think, Boss?” Diamond asked. “This is getting pretty off-mission here.”

Spade looked around the cave, everyone staring back expectantly. “I want the rest of you on your way first. Then you and I are going to sit down and have a talk, Bloodeye.”