• Published 21st Dec 2012
  • 8,450 Views, 152 Comments

Spike's Apple Bloom - Bronymind



Twilight sends Spike to school. What he finds there may just change his perception of his childhood forever.

  • ...
19
 152
 8,450

The Start

Applejack smiled as she readied herself for a long day of apple bucking. Celestia's sun shone through the windows of the Apple Family’s legendary kitchen as Applejack prepared a hearty breakfast.

"Apple Bloom!” she called, her voice carrying up the stairs, “It’s time ta wake up, Apple Bloom."

"G'mornin’, sis!" The filly cheerily chirped, surprising Applejack as she skipped to the table and began eating her breakfast.

"By Celestia, Apple Bloom! Ah thought ah be needin’ ta drag yah outta bed again." Applejack chuckled.

"What? Yah never seen me up this early?"

"Well, ah never really seen ya up easily unless yer lookin forward to somethin'" Applejack said slowly, narrowing her eyes in suspicion.

"Well, ah guess ah’m just happy about today, yah know," Apple Bloom mumbled, trying to steer off the subject.

"Oh? Happy fer what?" Applejack frowned, continuing to move the subject to its breaking point, “This isn’t ta do with your crusading stuff is it? Because yah know we still need to repair the last plow.”

"Uh-" Apple bloom squeaked, her eyes darting around for an escape, “Thanksforthebreakfastahgottagobye!” she yelped, running from the room.

Applejack groaned and shook her head, “What’s got inta that filly?”


"Spike, come on! Don’t make me come up there!" Twilight shouted as she glanced up from her book for the third time. She frowned as she once again got no response. Sighing, she got up and trotted into the living room door and proceeded towards the stairs. In her peripheral vision she spotted inkpot out of space at the edge of the room and inhaled sharply.

Who could have committed such a monstrous crime? As she ran over to correct the terrible misdeed she spotted the cause for concern: a note lying upon the coffee table. She picked it up and scanned the neat clawwriting.

Hey Twilight,

I've already left for school, so don't bother yelling. I made you a daisy sandwich in the kitchen, and I re-catalogued the first two shelves of Section Two in the main library sector. Hope you’ll be okay without me. I'll see you later!

Love. Spike.

P.S. I might be back a little later if Apple Bloom wants to do something.

Twilight smiled at her assistant’s diligence and thoughtfulness, and trotted to the kitchen in hunt of the foretold daisy sandwich.

"Well, it seems like he finally agrees that going to school was a good idea.” Twilight said to herself, “I knew he’d come around in the end. And he still made me a sandwich. Such a gentledrake.” Twilight giggled and licked her lips in anticipation when she spotted the sandwich on a kitchen surface.

The unicorn retreated to the living room to eat her sandwich and found herself thinking over the note again.

“He’s meeting up with Apple Bloom?” she mused, recalling the previous day, “I wonder what he’s planning...” she found herself giggling like a young filly as she let her imagination wonder. “What if they go on a date? Ooh that’d be too cute!” Twilight squealed, wriggling in delight. “I wonder what Applejack would say to that!”

Twilight snickered at the notion as she finished her sandwich and returned to her reading spot. She brushed away the persistent thoughts of her young assistant and Apple Bloom and tried to focus on the book in front of her.

A few lines in she burst out laughing, “Spike’ll be making Apple Bloom daisy sandwiches soon!” the unicorn cackled to herself.


“Apple Bloom!” Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo exclaimed in harmony, “Where’d you disappear to yesterday?”

“Er, yesterday?” Apple Bloom asked nervously, “Well, ah went home, and then ah helped ma sis collectin’ the apples-”

“No, when we went to see Miss. Cheerilee about the homework.” Scootaloo said.

“Well, ah was talking ta Spike.”

“Spike?” Sweetie Belle gasped. “You were talking to Spike? What’s he like?”

“Er, he’s nice?” Apple Bloom offered, shifting uncomfortably.

“Apple Bloom and Spike sitting in a tree...” Scootaloo chortled quietly.

“Hey, it’s not like that!” Apple Bloom squealed, blushing furiously.

“Aww that would be cute though.” Sweetie Belle sighed, “You’ll have to talk to him today, too!”

Apple Bloom merely scowled at her friends as together they walked into the schoolhouse.


“What are we going to do!? Equestria’s doomed!” Snips yelled.

“Dooooooooooooomed!” Snips and Snails howled in unison.

"I’m sure Equestria will be fine without Miss. Cheerilee for one day, guys.” Spike grumbled, scowling at the two distressed colts.

"Well, I think I know what's gunna happen. Equestria’s going to blow up!" Snails finished dramatically.

"I don't think that will happen, Snails. For Equestria to explode it would need a sudden, large explosive force near the centre of the planet’s core, however there is only slowly-decaying radioactive isotopes down there that can’t provide the sudden explosive force necessary to even consider anything more catastrophic than a small earthquake. The gravitational pull of the mass itself is too strong, and it would hold the planet together in almost any circumstance anyway. There's no possibility that Equestria will explode." Spike explained.

“Did you say earthquake?” Snips gasped, “Quick, everyone, don’t stay under a building! Run for your lives!”

Spike groaned in exasperation, covering his face with his claw.

“Now, now, settle down, students!” a voice called from across the room. Everypony froze and turned towards the voice. A stallion had opened the large doors of the schoolhouse and professionally walked to the front of the classroom. Instantly all the fillies and colts leaped heroically into their seats and sat with ramrod straight backs, their attention focused entirely on the strange pony at the front of the room.

The stallion had a sterile white coat and two azure, watchful eyes. He didn’t look like the type of teacher who commonly taught young ponies; he held himself in a much more formal manner than Cheerilee and, judging by his ‘question and exclamation mark’ cutie mark, so too were his lessons.

The stallion cleared his throat, "Hello students, my name is Facts, I'm going to be your teacher today for this very special lesson. Today I will be teaching you the subject of science!" Facts explained excitedly to his students.

A white filly raised her hand at the end of his introduction.

"Yes, Miss..." Facts drew the sentence out into a question.

"Sweetie belle, erm, sir.” she said nervously, “And, err, what is science?”

"Well, Miss. Belle, That’s a very good question. Science is a tricky thing to define. The formal definition is the ‘knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation’, but this can be tricky to fully understand.” Facts explained, “In simpler terms, if I hold a ball like this,” Facts picked up a ball, “And I let go, what will happen?”

The class fell silent as if the question baffled them.

“It falls due to gravity.” Spike offered from the back of the room.

“Indeed!” Facts inhaled sharply, “I didn’t realize we had a dragon in our midsts. You are spot on, mister...”

“Spike,” the dragon replied.

“Yes, you are spot on, Spike.” Facts smiled widely, “It falls. And that’s very obvious, don’t you think? We all know things fall. But why? Why do things fall? This is what ponies years ago wondered, and they came up with the idea that there is a force pulling down, keeping all the ponies on the planet, and they called this force gravity.”

“Gravity?” Snips whispered, “That’s what Spike said was stopping Equestria from blowing up!”

Spike elicited another groan.

“So,” Facts continued, “Now we think there’s a force pushing this ball to the floor,” Facts dropped the ball, “But what if I drop this pencil?” Facts picked up a pencil and dropped it. “Did that drop at the same speed?”

“It didn’t!” Apple Bloom called.

“You are correct, Miss...”

“Apple Bloom!” the filly announced proudly.

“Indeed, Miss. Bloom. Why do you think this is?”

Apple Bloom’s exuberant smile faltered, “Erm, is it because the ball is heavier?”

“Spot on!” Facts beamed, “See you already know the subject better than I do! Now comes the real, big question. Gravity acts on objects that weigh different amounts with different strengths. So how do we measure gravity?

“In this lesson I want you all to try a little experiment. We’re going to drop objects from the same height, and measure how long it takes to hit the floor. And then we’ll compare our results. If could organize yourselves into pairs, please!”

Instantly the silence of the room was broken up by the excited squeals of young fillies and colts as they searched for partners. Spike hadn’t budged from his seat.

“This is too similar to the experiments Twilight had me doing back in Canterlot.” he groaned.

“Hey, Spike!” a filly’s voice called. Instantly Spike’s head whipped around to face Apple Bloom.

“Oh, hey, Apple Bloom.” he said, brightening up.

“Er, Spike ah was wondering if you’d be mah partner?” Apple Bloom asked, “Fer the science experiment, ah mean!” she said quickly, squirming uncomfortably as she glanced back at her friends.

“Sure, I’d love to!” Spike beamed. As much as he didn't want to admit it, he didn’t relish the idea of working on his own. He glanced at Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, whom were giggling to each other, and raised his eyebrows in bemusement.

“Great!” Apple Bloom said, “Ah’ll go grab some objects. Wait here.”

“Okay, thanks.” Spike said. All of a sudden he felt much more excited about the lesson now.

Maybe this won’t be such a dull lesson after all. Maybe I can hang out with Apple Bloom?


“Ow,” Sweetie Belle complained.

“Heh heh, sorry Sweetie Belle,” Scootaloo grinned sheepishly, “I didn’t mean for that chair to land on you.”

“Why were you dropping a chair from so high up, anyway?” Sweetie Belle whimpered, rubbing her flank.

“He said we should measure objects from different heights, so I tried from the ceiling, of course!” Scootaloo chuckled.

The pair were just exiting the school building for recess when a voice called from behind them, "Howdy girls, what's up?" Apple bloom chirped as she bounced up to her friends.

"Oh, not much.” Sweetie replied, brushing off the question, “How about you, Apple Bloom?”

“Yeah, how was Spike?” Scootaloo giggled shamelessly.

“He was fine.” Apple Bloom said curtly with a scowl. “He helped me with mah science experiment.”

The pair looked and each other and continued giggling.

“Sorry, Apple Bloom,” Sweetie Belle apologized, wiping a tear from her eye. “We just think it’s really cute.”

“No, you think it’s really cute, Sweetie Belle.” Scootaloo said stiffly, “I’m not into that girly-girly fru-fru stuff. Bleh!”

“Watch out, Apple Bloom,” Sweetie Belle said suddenly, “Isn’t that Diamond Tiara’s seat?” The filly motioned to the table from the previous day where the incident between Apple Bloom and Diamond Tiara had occurred.

"It's alright girls, I'm not gonna let her get to me this time. This isn’t her spot.” Apple Bloom announced boldly as she sat down in same spot as the previous day.

As if on cue, Diamond Tiara strutted up to the table, a look of pure disgust in her eyes.

"What made you think that I’d given up my seat, Blank Flank." Diamond Tiara said, smirking.

"This is mah seat, Diamond Tiara. You can go get your own.” Apple Bloom replied, feeling more confident with her two friends by her side.

Diamond Tiara recoiled as if she’d been physically struck, "Oh, you're joking right? You’ve got to be, everypony knows that that seat is my seat!" the filly hissed.

Just as Diamond Tiara said that, Spike walked onto the scene. He walked up to Apple Bloom before looking at the opposing filly.

"You’re Diamond Tiara, right?" Spike asked, turning to face her.

"Yeah, so what? I'm not going to talk to losers like you. What’s a dragon even doing here, anyway? It’s not like you even belong with ponies." she snickered.

Spike chuckled to himself, “Are you being serious? You don’t talk to anyone else other than Silver Spoon. Maybe if you actually tried being nice to other ponies, they might want to be friends with you.”

"Why would that matter? I have friends, probably more than you ever will." Diamond Tiara said with a scowl, “Why would I want to be friends with a common farm pony and an orphaned dragon, anyway?” the filly said gruffly before leaving in a huff.

"A lost cause,” Spike tutted to himself before swivelling around to face Apple Bloom “Hey, Apple Bloom. I was just wondering if we could talk a little? You know, in private?” Spike glanced at Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, making his meaning clear.

“Sure!” Apple Bloom answered without skipping a heartbeat, “Er, you guys don’t mind, do yah?” the filly asked, turning to face her friends.

“Anything you need to say to Apple Bloom, you can say to us all, Spike.” Scootaloo stated.

“But-” Apple Bloom started, and Sweetie Belle’s eyes widened.

“No, no.” Scootaloo continued, “We’re the Cutie Mark Crusaders! Whatever he’s gotta say, he can say it to all of us!”

“Er, Scootaloo?” Sweetie Belle whispered frantically.

“You can’t convince me otherwise, Sweetie-”

Sweetie Belle clamped a hoof over the orange filly’s mouth, “Heh heh, we’ll just be going now!” she sang before yanking Scootaloo away to another bench.

“Hey! What’s the big deal?” she yelped before she was out of earshot.

Apple Bloom watched them go, “So what did yah need ta tell me, Spike?”

“Well,” Spike started slowly, “I just wanted to thank you for working with me in class today.”

Apple Bloom had just noticed how Spike was fidgeting nervously, he wrung his claws as he spoke.

“And I just wanted to say,” the dragon continued, “That I thought it was really nice of you.”

“Um, thanks Spike.” Apple Bloom replied, lowering her head to hide her blush. “Why? Is something the matter?”

“Well I guess... I guess it’s nice to feel I fit in, you know?” Spike said quietly.

“Oh, right, yeah.” Apple Bloom replied.

The conversation fell into an awkward silence.

“Hey, I was just wondering,” Spike asked suddenly, “I wanted to ask you if... well... if you wanted to, you know, go hang out sometime later?"

"I’d love to!” Apple Bloom answered excitedly, “Wait! Do yah mean it like... like a date?"

The purple scales on Spike’s face shone a slightly brighter shade, "Oh, erm... maybe. I don’t know, sorta?" he mumbled, trying to answer without looking stupid.

“Sorta?” Apple Bloom asked.

Spike elicited a sigh, and straightened up. He summoned forth all the courage he had.

C’mon, Spike just tell her what’s on your mind. You’ve saved her sister from Timberwolves and the Crystal Empire from King Sombra. Nothing can go wrong!

“Well it’s just I can’t stop thinking about you!” Spike choked out.

Eurgh that sounded really stupid.

“I mean, what I’m trying to say is that I think I really, really like you.” Spike managed, “And I was wondering if maybe you wanted to go on a date?”

To be continued...

Author's Note:

E/N: (Vexy) Hopefully you'll enjoy this installment. I believe the focus on the fic will be more revolving around the comedy of their young, and often misinformed, relationship. I will, of course, let you decide on whether you enjoy it.

Please note that, despite the title, this isn't designed to infringe on MallaJong's "Spike's" series, nor net views from it. The likeness of the titles is purely coincidental. However, hopefully this fic might cover the missing ground when it comes to Apple Bloom. Who knows, maybe MallaJong will write his own Spike's Apple Bloom?

But enough mindless banter from me. Hopefully chapter three will be released sometime this month. No promises, though :3 Exams make me a busy, busy man.