• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 2,197 Views, 3 Comments

Inkblot's Flash FiMFiction - Inkblot Sonnet



A collection of various ~500 word stories. Characters will vary, so I'm just tagging "everyone". A few different genres may be represented, but everything's gonna be pretty Slice of Lifey.

  • ...
 3
 2,197

Inkquery Inkwell (OC Request)

Inquery Inkwell stared at her quilltip. She looked up, scanning the previous paragraphs of essay, then back to her hovering quilltip. She scanned the essay again, then looked back to her quilltip.

“Oh, c'mon, Inquery! You know this one, it's not hard, it's just a little word. Why won't this word just...” Inquery fumbled with the quill as she muttered to herself. Without warning, the magic field surrounding it sputtered and died. Inquery tried to catch it, but her hoof instead knocked it about twenty feet, to the base of the far wall. Inquery itched her horn, her slightly-messy purple mane clinging to her hoof.

“Well, quill... It seems you challenge me again. Very well.” She stood, levitating her glasses onto her face.

The quill seemed to stare back at her, its burgundy frills waving, taunting her. She trotted over to it, picking up the rebellious writing instrument with her hoof.

“That's a good quill,” the lime-coloured mare nuzzled the quill's feathery end, smiling to herself. She sat back down, staring at her paper, the quill nestled in her mane. “Come on, word. What are you?”

A few minutes later, Inquery frowned and stood again. She stepped slowly towards her bookshelf. Various novels were piled atop a few reference books and pamphlets. She levitated books, looking for a certain one.

“No, it isn't you, much as I love you,” she said, setting down her copy of the last Harry Trotter book. “Nor is it you, though I really don't know why I kept you. Once was more than enough.” She chucked a copy of The Midnight Saga: Breaking Sun out her window, chuckling. “And it isn't you, either.” She set down a beat-up paperback of The Chronicles of Pega: First Flight. “Celestia above, where's a thesaurus when you need one?” She stood up, leaving her room in irritation.

Her goal, of course; The Canterlot Archives. She heads in, flying at a near-gallop, straight for the grammatical section. She levitates a particularly heavy thesaurus from a high shelf, nearly hurling it onto a table. She sits before it, flipping through its crinkling pages furiously.

“Where...” Not 'avast', nor 'autumnal', nor 'adventurous'. “Is...” Not 'helpful', nor 'heist', nor 'honorificabilitudinitatibus'. “That...” Not 'truth', nor 'tribulation', nor 'transdimensional'. “WORD!!” Inquery screamed, banging her head agaisnt the table top. She let her head lay on the book, looking at the squiggles on the page at an uncomfortably close range. Her glasses pressed into her muzzle uncomfortably. She sat up, taking them off, then slumped again. Her eyes caught a word. A nice word, starting with a 'w'. A word she'd been missing for twenty-odd minutes. A word that, frankly, should have been right there, in Inquery's head, from the start. She sat up, embarrassed, squinting her lavender eyes at the offensive word. She rubbed her eyes with her hoof, hoping she was dreaming.

Unfortunately, she wasn't. There it was, the word that had been on the very tip of her tongue for an hour. “Waffles.”

Author's Note:

Inquery Inkwell is the property of... Well, Inquery Inkwell. Dunno his real name, that's the name he requested with.