• Published 17th Dec 2012
  • 694 Views, 24 Comments

The Forgotten Flower - V8UC-UNICORN



My first story. An adventure with tragic elements abound, and a plot that threatens the very stability of Equestria.

  • ...
 24
 694

Chapter one: The seeds of torment

Inside the home of Germanica and Calla Lily, fourteen years prior to Germanica’s discovery of the carving…

The two unicorns arrived inside their home, welcomed by the warmth of some coal that Calla Lily had burnt before the two had left earlier that day for their excursion to the Everfree Forest. “Always plan ahead, Germanica. The coal may not smell the best, but with the cold nights of Equestria being what they are; it’s always a good idea to leave some warmth in your home if you are going to be out for the day.” Just one of the things Germanica learnt from her mother: preparation. They went upstairs, and Germanica had her bath.

“Mummy. Will you read me a bedtime story tonight?” Calla Lily looked at her daughter, and was only able to disappoint. “Sorry, Germanica. It’s not that I don’t want to, but I have some work to do.” A slightly sour look, though not one of hate, struck Germanica’s face. “You always have work to do! It’s a miracle we were able to have that picnic today!” Calla Lily’s smile, which had remained all day, suddenly drooped into a frown. With a sigh, she told the young unicorn “I know it can be annoying. But if it wasn’t for our families work, There would be so many plants that ponykind wouldn’t know of. And if that were the case, there would be so many plants with medicinal properties that we wouldn’t know of.” Suddenly, an important fact rushed through Germanica’s mind. “You mean… Because of the plants our family has discovered, we… save lives?” With a smile spread across her face, Calla Lily exclaimed “Yes, exactly! Now dear, get some shut eye. I have to get my work done. I’ll see you in the morning. Goodnight.” Calla Lily gave her daughter a quick kiss on the cheek, and tucked her into a snug blanket. “Goodnight, mum.” With this, Germanica closed her eyes, dreaming of the adventures she and Calla Lily would have the next day.

A few hours later that night…

The young foal was sleeping soundly when she was woken by the sound of a loud thud on the front door of her home. A visitor? At this time of night? Strange… She decided to stay awake, listening to what was going on downstairs. She could hear her mother telling the mysterious visitor to wait a few moments. Who is it, I wonder? The young filly quietly left her bed and ever so slightly opened her door to let herself hear things better. She heard her mother answer the door. An angelic voice began to speak. “You are Calla Lily, I understand?” Her mother didn’t reply for a few minutes. “Yes… yes, I am, Princess Celestia. I wasn’t expecting you to visit personally. Had I known…” The alicorn stopped her here, explaining to Calla Lily “My dear, it was necessary. Had anypony known I was coming, Equestria's security could have been greatly jeopardised.” Calla Lily replied, saying “I understand you must have had your reasons. But you still haven’t told me this. Why was I to wait for a… your arrival, tonight, your highness?” The princess sighed. Germanica's mind at this point was both full of excitement and fears. Excitement because a real life alicorn princess was in her home, fears because surely such a noble soul wouldn’t come to such a humble place without there being a dire need in question.

Germanica went back to listening to the conversation going on downstairs. She missed a large portion of it when she took a moment to come to terms with who had visited. She wasn’t able to believe it. “Calla Lily, do I have your understanding on what is at stake here? I’m sorry, but a prophecy is a prophecy.” The words of Celestia that Germanica heard upon returning to her eavesdropping of this conversation. “What’s a prophecy?” The young foal asked herself.

Calla Lily spoke. “Yes… yes, you have my understanding. And my trust, your highness. Just one thing, may I ask?” Celestia said nothing, but Calla Lily went on to ask the alicorn anyway “Why?” This was met by another sigh from the noble princess. “I don’t know, Calla Lily. I just don’t know. The poor thing. So much in store, I ask myself the same question. Believe me, Calla Lily, if I could do anything about it, then by all means, I would.” Calla Lily broke in. “I know you would. That is why you are so important to this land. It’s just this. It just makes me so sad.”

What are they talking about? Germanica had a shiver shoot up her spine. Who are they talking about? Germanica pondered through her thoughts, but to no avail. She was too young, too inexperienced. She did not know enough about the world to figure out what her mother and the princess were talking about, or why Calla Lily sounded so upset. If only I knew. But perhaps… perhaps as mummy hasn't come here to get me yet, I don’t need to worry about it. With this thought, the young filly returned to bed, but any chance of sleep was now gone.

A half hour later…

“Calla Lily, please, would you listen to what I have to say. No matter what happens, I will make sure somepony is there. I promise.” Celestia was starting to sound desperate now. She seemed determined to let Calla Lily know everything would end up fine, whatever the two were talking about. It was then that Germanica heard one of the royal guards burst into the room, shouting with fear, “Celestia! One of them has showed up! We have to go now! Get the VIP!” Calla Lily asked, at the same time as Germanica asked herself, “Them?” Celestia barked at Calla Lily, telling her “There’s no time! Get your daughter, quickly! Guard, go with her and make sure they’re safe. Fly with them on your back if you have to!” With these orders, a horrific scream of pain could suddenly be heard. It must have travelled for miles. “We have a stallion down! Brothers, let’s finish this thing, we must avenge our fallen!” The shout of another guard outside the house. When he said this, orders and screams and the clash of metal erupted out of the blue. Germanica was frightened, very frightened. She froze.

“Mummy, mummy? Are you there? Where are you?” The young filly asked herself, confusion clouding her mind. Calla Lily galloped into the room. She went straight to Germanica, hugging her, she reassured her foal. “I’m here, dear. C’mon, this nice guard is going to take us somewhere quiet.” Despite the violence, despite the death, Calla Lily was still able to speak to her daughter in such a calm manner. Such was the strength of her love for her. A tear of relief dropped out of Germanica’s eye. The guard that had followed Calla Lily turned to the little family, telling them, “Ladies, I’m sorry to rush you, but we really must…” A powerful bolt of light, seemingly without an origin, cut short the guards sentence. He dropped onto the ground, motionless, and the essence of his life flowed from his eyes. Germanica, slow to realise what she had just saw, eventually let out a piercing scream, and the tears that flowed from her eyes could have flooded the room. Startled, sobbing, screaming, she asked her mother, “Please, make it stop. MAKE IT STOP! I DON’T LIKE THIS! WHY IS IT HAPPENING?” Calla Lily, too, was obviously in a state of absolute fear. “Germanica, I want you to be very quiet. You see that cupboard? Go inside it, and open it for nopony.” So she did. The next five minutes would feel like an eternity.

The young unicorn waited. After two minutes, she heard something that would change her forever. Calla Lily was downstairs, speaking to Celestia, who had stayed to assist in the crisis. Suddenly, a scream of terror was heard. The voice of a mysterious, threatening stranger could be heard. “Where is the filly? If you don’t tell me, you will never see this mare again! I’m sure you know what’s at stake here, Celestia. You know the prophecy and that filly…” He was silenced by a kick from Calla Lily. Silenced, but not weakened. “Let go of me! Celestia, help!” Calla Lily begged. “I’m trying, Calla Lily! But this stallion, for some reason, my magic is not affecting him!” Confused, Celestia asked “It can’t be, can it?” The stallion laughed hysterically, stating, “Yes, it can be, Celestia! The time of reckoning is coming!” With this, Germanica heard a strange howling sound, not too different to that made by the wind, and then silence. The violence was over.

What… just happened? Germanica thought to herself, while her face was drenched with her tears. Why me? She was only able to reflect on what just happened for but a few short moments before somepony entered her room. Germanica choked. So much had already happened, hearing the hoof-steps of somepony that she couldn't identify was the last thing she needed.

“Germanica?” This voice was not Calla Lily’s. But by no means was it one Germanica didn’t trust. “Germanica, my name is Princess Celestia. I mean you no harm. All I want to do is take you somewhere safe. Somewhere quiet.” Germanica, confident that she could trust this voice, opened the cupboard door. “This better be the princess” She whispered to herself as she put hoof to door. “Celestia! Thank the stars, it is you!” A smile marked the princess’s face. However, it soon turned upside down when Germanica asked “Where’s mummy? Is she OK?” Celestia’s heart was twisted in agony upon hearing those words. The wise alicorn was, for a rare moment, left unable to speak. Eventually, she managed to tell the foal only this: “Dear, we need to leave for Canterlot now. Please, get on my back, I’ll fly you there myself.” Germanica was left only with more questions, but out of exhaustion from the terrifying events that night, she obliged. Celestia levitated Germanica onto her shoulders, and blasted a hole in the roof of the cottage. Flying out of it, the two saw little of the devastation left behind.

Germanica at the age of eighteen, upon her discovery of the carving…

What… what just happened? A rather dazed unicorn got up from her feet. It was dark, with only a bright moon providing any visibility. Did I pass out? Germanica reflected for a while. Was that a flashback? Ugh, it was horrible! Why did that just happen? I haven’t thought about that day for years. The time that had passed by dawned upon her. Oh dear… how long has it been? I really need to start moving again. I mustn't let that bad nightmare cause me any delay.

So she headed off, not knowing where she was going. The only thing she did know was this: It will be what fate intended. But while not knowing where she was going, she did know exactly where she had been. Somewhere she’d rather forget. Alas. When she moved away from that tree, she looked back. For a moment, she had a tear in her eye, staring at that carving. A thought popped in her head. Surely… no, don’t be silly Germanica. That was a terrifying day. But it happened years ago. It’s the past. It’s over.