• Published 13th Dec 2012
  • 805 Views, 34 Comments

The Inventor and the Red Lady - MadNimrod



Watson's a small unicorn with a bent horn and a dark past...one that refuses to fade away... 1st fi

  • ...
1
 34
 805

Chapter 4: Face-to-face

Fast as he could, Watson swung his head around and smashed it into the side of the Red Lady’s face. While it didn’t hurt her, it stunned her from surprise long enough for Watson to dash forward, with the aid of a Haste spell, and leap from the cliff. As he fell, he cast a teleport to simultaneously decrease the distance to the ground and slow his descent. After getting out of his teleport, however, the small Paladin was encompassed in red magic. There was a flash of light, and he fell to the ground at the Red Lady’s hooves.

“That was not very smart,” she plainly stated. Rather than reply, Watson shot backward to gain some distance, but the Red Lady also shot forward and pinned the hapless unicorn to a tree with her foreleg. “I applaud your bravery, but bravery without intelligence is recklessness. And recklessness is what kills agents like you.” Watson just struggled to break away, but she just pressed tighter in return. “Just give up, already.”

Watson didn’t want to give up. His brother was dead, and he swore to make it home, or die trying. As a last ditch effort, Watson started charging the strongest magic blast spell he could muster. His horn didn’t glow, but he could feel it getting warm and a slight headache was coming on. The bent horn had its uses.

“I understand your loyalty to your Princess,” the scarlet alicorn continued. “I understand your loyalty to your fellow countryponies. I will give you one last chance, foal. If you return those bags to me, I will let you return to Equestria. Otherwise, well, you might not like the alternative.” She didn’t seem to notice the build-up of magic. Could she not sense it, or did she simply not care? And why was she talking? Why not just kill him right there? “What is your answer?” She growled one last time. Watson’s head was burning from the magic buildup. At this range, there was no way he’d miss. Glaring at the Princess, he released his spell. During the brief moment before the spell fired, his horn sparked. That was enough warning for the Red Lady to throw Watson to one side while she attempted to dodge.

Attempted.

The green blast shot out with enough force to send Watson flying further back. The blast itself shot out and struck the scarlet alicorn in her left wing. She shrieked in surprise and pain as one of her blade-shaped pinions was burned off. Never before had she received such a wound. It wouldn’t affect her flying, but it was a hit nonetheless. She turned, enraged, to the prone unicorn. The magic he put into that blast was the only thing keeping him conscious. He couldn’t move, and all he could see was the large red alicorn walking toward him with a face twisted in rage.

‘This is it,’ he thought to himself as his vision faded. ‘Sorry, Dawson. I couldn’t make it…’


The memories of that day flooded back into Watson’s mind. It was like that day all over again. The Red Lady was right there. He was at her mercy. The only differences were they were in a castle ruin and the red alicorn’s left wing was missing a pinion. She noticed the small unicorn looking at her wing.

“Our last meeting,” Malice smiled, “left quite the lasting impression, Watson. And you spoke my name, too. Was it my messenger who told you? Doesn’t matter.” She took a step towards Watson, he stepped back. “Don’t be afraid,” Malice said with a calm, almost motherly tone. “I only wish to talk, child.”

“Like when you wanted to talk last time?” Watson growled. Before anypony could say anything else, there was a flash of white light between the two ponies. When the light receded, there were four ponies standing with their backs to Watson. Two were Redstamp and Ditzy in their battle armor. Next to them was an armor-clad Earth Pony. Watson didn’t pay as much attention to them as he did the final pony.

Standing face-to-face with Malice was an irate Princess Celestia.

“Lady,” Celestia all but growled, “what are you doing with my subject?”

“Tia,” Malice said with a cordial tone, “so good to see you. In fact, your presence will make explaining things easier.”

“What things?” Celestia nearly roared. “You’ve abducted one of my subjects, Red. Under most circumstances, that could be taken as a hostile act, possibly an act of war. So, please, cousin, inform me of what you want with Watson.”

“I want his help,” Malice immediately replied. Everypony else was shocked into silence upon hearing this. The silence lasted so long, the scarlet alicorn quizzically asked, “Hello?”

“You…” Celestia asked, “you want his help?”

“Yours, too,” Malice admitted, “but Watson is the main one.” Celestia was again quiet.

Turning to the others, Princess Celestia ordered, “Red, Ditzy, Thom, wait here with Watson. My cousin and I need to discuss things.” With that, the two alicorns left through the door Malice had entered through. As they left, Watson turned to the others.

“What all happened on your end?” he asked.

“Well,” Redstamp explained, “Celestia saw you being ‘ported away by the messenger, and, suffice to say, she was pissed. Ditzy and I arrived in time to see her slamming the messenger into Discord over and over. After he explained what happened, she had Ditzy and I grab Thom here and follow her through the teleport. Oh, yeah, this is Thom, a new Paladin.” The Earth Pony from earlier stepped forward and nodded. He was clad in the black-and-silver armor of the Earth Pony Paladins. His mane, coat and tail were completely covered in the plate armor. His eyes were hidden by the tinted-glass visor. He looked more like an automaton than a pony. He was short, too. Not as short as Watson, but still a bit shorter than Ditzy.

“That’s Thom with an ‘H,’” the Earth Pony elaborated, “like ‘Thomas,’ but without the ‘as.’ Weird, I know, but I was born with it.
So, you’re the famous MacMaren?”

“So I’m famous now?” the tan unicorn asked.

“Only among the Paladins,” Thom-with-an-H chuckled, “Phalanx would talk about you and your brother nonstop. Speaking of which, I’m sorry about your brother.”

“No problem,” Watson waved him off. “Getting back to the subject at hoof, what all do you know about what’s going on?”

“Not much,” the Earth Pony sheepishly admitted. “I heard that the Princess of the Shetland territories was after you, presumably for what you pulled off four years ago, and I was assigned to Canterlot as additional guard, but I was off-duty when you were snatched this afternoon. Barely got my helmet on before these two whisked me away.”

“This afternoon? How long have I been gone?”

“By this time,” Ditzy replied, “it would be about nine at night.”

Wait,” Watson reasoned, “I was Link-Teleported here and it took ten jumps and six hours. From what you’re telling me, you guys took a half-hour or so to get things together. How come you guys didn’t come a half-hour later?”

“Celestia, duh!” Thom cheerfully replied. “She could whisk us to Neighpon from the Tapirus Republic in no time! True, that trip would also take a few hours, but not as long as you think. Just took a bit longer with you because she had the sense your exact position, or did you think it was mere coincidence we ‘ported in between you and what’s-her-name?” Despite his helmet, Watson could tell that Thom was smiling.

“Why are in full regalia, anyway?” Watson asked. “Even Red and Ditzy are only in light armor.”

“This stuff’s special,” Thom gave a shake, “made specifically for me. Onyx Plate with mythril chainmail (stained, of course), and a final layer of soft padding to prevent chafing. Fancy stuff.”

“Uh huh, and what do you look like?”

“An Earth Pony, of course!” Thom replied. Redstamp shook his head and turned to Watson.

“He never takes his armor off,” the white Pegasus explained. “It’s like a security blanket.”

“A security blanket made from metal!” the Earth Pony said with far too happy a tone of voice. Watson was uncertain if he was going to get along with Thom-with-an-H or be annoyed by his perkiness. “So,” Thom asked, “where exactly is this?”

“These are the ruins of the Old Palace in the Shetlands,” Watson explained. “From what I hear, The Princess of War resided here since before the first Nightmare Night.”

“There’s no way she resides here now,” Redstamp stated.

“Of course not,” the tan unicorn affirmed. “According to the Shetland libraries, there was a war two hundred years ago between the Shetlands and the Evisica. During that war, this palace was razed, although the Red Lady was so angry only a few of the Evisicans managed to survive long enough to report it.”

“Evisica?” Ditzy asked. “I’ve never heard of that place.”

“Shows who won the war,” Watson chuckled. “Their defeat was so absolute, the Evisicans up and left. I’m not sure even the Princesses know where they are now, but the old Evisican lands are now the part of the Shetland Territories bordering Glascow.”

“Cool history lesson,” Thom nodded his thanks. “Say, what do you suppose the Princesses are talking about?” As if on cue, the two Princesses came walking out from the doorway. Malice stopped just past the arch while Celestia took a few more steps. She looked down at her subjects with a serious face.

“Paladins, Watson,” she addressed, “I have just finished talking with my cousin. She requires our help with a most dire task.”

“Dire?” Watson asked.

“Yes, Watson. Dire, as in ‘end of the world’ dire.” Celestia took a breath before continuing, “I assume you all know of the importance of the Red Lady and her siblings in the future?”

“I know that she and the other children of Solarion,” Redstamp answered, “are the alicorns who’ll bring about the end of the world when your father and theirs decree it.”

“Not the whole truth,” Celestia nodded, “but all you need to know. However, events are transpiring that are speeding up the process.”

“We do not know what exactly is happening,” Malice stepped in, “but if these events are not stopped, the world will end far too early, and certain things that need doing won’t be accomplished. I can’t say too much, but if the world ends too early, there will be no chance for renewal.”

“Forgive my shortsightedness,” Watson bowed his head, “but if this is going on, how can I possibly help? What qualifies me for this?”

“Your magic,” Malice answered. “You see, whatever’s happening, it involves a necromantic rite that my Shetland agents have only found the aftermath of. Whether this rite is purposefully speeding up the End of Days, or is attempting something else and doesn’t mean to end the world, we don’t know. What we do know is that there is a binding magic at these sites, one that requires a pony to be sacrificed. But whenever anypony, myself included, tries scrying the magic, it disappears, and one cannot scry nonexistent magic. When we stop scrying, it returns.”

“Again,” Watson asked, “why me?”

“Four years ago,” the scarlet alicorn continued, “your last spell blew off one of my pinions.” She emphasized this by stretching her wings, showing the missing feather. The three active Paladins gave a simultaneous gasp of surprise as Malice continued, “Such powerful magic should’ve made your horn shine like the sun, and yet, it remained dull. I couldn’t even sense any magic until it was too late. If I could not sense your magic, maybe you could scry this enchantment. If you can learn the details, I should be able to dismantle the bind, and stop the Quickening.”

“You seriously couldn’t detect my magic?” Watson asked in disbelief. “Not even a little?”

Malice smiled. “The only thing that gave your spell away was the spark at the end. Celestia and I believe that might be due to your horn being damaged in your youth, but that accident may yet serve a purpose.”

“What about the Elements of Harmony?” Thom-with-an-H asked. “Couldn’t they help, too?”

“We’re unsure of what effect the Elements could have on the dark magic,” Celestia replied. “On top of that, even if we knew what would happen, I sent them north a few days ago to aid Princess Cadence. It’ll be at least another day before they even reach Candence, and I can’t say when they’ll be back. They can’t help here.”

“Time is of the essence,” the Princess of War stated, “and we can’t afford any delay. Watson,” she looked at the small unicorn with a pleading look, “I have not forgotten the past, and there is nothing I can do about your partner but say I had no part in his death. Please, will you aid me?”

Time seemed to slow as Watson processed what he just learned. The world was ending, and he could do something about it. The Red Lady was right there, and not trying to kill him. In fact, she was asking, almost begging for his help. The Princess of War needed his help. He, a unicorn barely bigger than a foal with a bent horn, could help save the world.

Time sped back up as Watson nodded. “I, Watson Macmaren, do swear to aid thee, Lady Malice.” All the Equestrian ponies, including Celestia, were taken aback at Watson’s reply and straightforward use of the Red Lady’s name. Even Malice was slightly surprised.

“You have my thanks, Watson,” the scarlet Princess lowered her head in gratitude.

“Before we get started, though,” Watson stated, “I have one off-topic question. Why did you spare me all those years ago?” Malice straightened up at this. She thought for a moment before giving her answer.

“I cannot tell you now, but I promise that, when this is over, I will tell my reason.”

“Copout,” Thom mumbled before Ditzy elbowed him in the ribs.

“So,” Redstamp asked, “what next?”

“The palace isn’t too far from here,” Malice replied. “I know you’re probably still wide awake from the teleports, but I propose we take the rest of the night off.” Turning to Celestia, the scarlet alicorn asked, “Will you be staying the night, as well?”

“I should be able to,” Celestia nodded. “I informed my court of my departure, and they’re used to me being gone for days on end. Being gone for a day or two won’t kill them.” With a nod of approval, Malice’s horn roared with magic and all of them were teleported away.


Watson was laying on a bed in one of the Shetland Palace’s guest rooms. It had been a very eventful day, and the tan unicorn didn’t complain about the large comfy bed he was given. In one day, he went from hiding from an alicorn to agreeing to work with that same alicorn to save the world. No pressure, right? Watson sighed as he rolled over. What would Dawson think about this? The last time either of them was inside the palace, they were disguised as errand boys, looking for a way into the Grand General’s quarters. Now, he and three other Paladins were guests of the Princess of War. Knowing Dawson, he’d probably be laughing his head off.

A knock on the door broke his train of thought. Watson got up, opened the door, and gave a gasp of surprise. In front of him was an enormous Earth Pony. Were all ponies in the Shetlands so huge? This one had grey fur and a black mane with blue eyes. His armor was black with red trim and was covered in medals. Topping it off was the most ostentatious helmet Watson had ever seen. It was also black, but had a pair of metal antlers, a fake unicorn horn and was engraved far beyond any possible use beyond showing off.

“You are Watson MacMaren,” the Earth Pony stated.

“Yes,” the tiny unicorn affirmed, “and who might you be?”

“I am Racer, the Grand General of the Shetlands,” the Shetlander introduced himself. “There are things we need to discuss, Equestrian.” Before anything else could be said, Racer walked past (almost over, actually) Watson into the room. “I have heard of Her Highness’ request for your aid. I also remember you were one of the agents who infiltrated the castle four years ago.” He leaned down to glare into Watson’s eyes. “Know this, pipsqueak. If you make any attempt to harm our Lady, I will personally grind you into the floor.”

“You can relax,” Watson reassured the much larger General, “I mean Malice no-” In the blink of an eye, Racer struck Watson across the face, sending him flying across the room.

“You will never,” Racer growled, “never, call the Red Lady by name, Equestrian. You will call her the Red Lady or Her Highness. Call her by name one more time, I break your jaw. Do we have an understanding?” Watson got to his feet and shook his head in pain.

“Yes,” he nodded, “I believe we do.”

“Good.” Racer stepped back out into the hallway. “Remember that, runt.” As the door closed, Watson dunked his head in the sink. Forget later, it felt like his jaw was broken now. Pulling his head out and shaking the water off, Watson could tell he and Racer would get along just fine. What a nice way to end the day. It was then when he remembered something. A memory that filled Watson with an indescribable hatred. Racer was there when Dawson died. No, he was not ‘just’ there. His role in Dawson’s death was far more personal.


“And what are you doing here?” Malice asked her General just outside Watson’s room.

“Milady,” the Earth Pony bowed, “I was going over things with our guest, nothing more.”

“What sort of things?” she asked with a hint of venom in her voice.

“I was, um, telling him not to harm you. I thought you would not want a repeat of four years ago,” Racer explained while gesturing to Malice’s missing pinion.

“I have no fear of that,” Malice smiled. “He swore that he would provide aid. He even called me by name when he did it as a sign of his conviction.”

“He did?” Racer asked in disbelief. “And you did not find it disrespectful?”

“Why would I?” the scarlet alicorn asked. “It’s been so long since anypony’s called me by name, it’s actually quite refreshing.” She dropped the smile. “Did you do something else?”

“Uh, no, your Majesty.” The Earth Pony took a step back as he said, “Forgive me, but there is a matter I must attend to. Rest well, Milady.” As he trotted off, Malice couldn’t help but feel suspicious. Turning to the door, she was about to open it before feeling an aura of hatred from it. Was Watson making that? She cast a spell to scry the source of this aura and, sure enough, it was Watson. A bit more scrying, and she found out why he was feeling such hatred. Not only had Racer’s “going over things” been absolutely disrespectful, she also saw a brief memory. One that made her eyes well up from the emotions that flooded into her.

Watson was standing around a nearby corner, weighed down by four saddlebags. He was watching as three Shetland ponies approached the prone Dawson. Two were unicorns bearing the badges of High Mages.

The last one was Racer.

The three ponies stood over Dawson, who lifted his head to talk to Racer. Watson couldn’t hear what was being said, but Racer’s voice grew increasingly louder and angrier. In the end, Dawson fired one last spell at Racer, who narrowly dodged the thin purple beam. Angry at this, Racer said one last word before hitting the button on one of gauntlets. A large blade emerged from the side and Racer drove it deep into Dawson’s side. The fallen unicorn gave a piercing scream that startled the two Shetland unicorns and nearly made Watson scream in return. Without any remorse, Racer retracted the blade, issued an order to the unicorns and galloped away while the two unicorns went the other way.

Watson stood in place for several minutes. The scream had long since ended, but it still took its toll on Watson’s psyche. His brother was dead.

The memory ended as quickly as it started. Malice was rooted to the spot with tears in her eyes. His partner four years ago was his brother? Why had Celestia not told her this earlier, when they spoke in the old palace? Or in any of the letters they sent to each other over the years?

Why didn’t Celestia tell her this four years ago, when they spoke on Percheron Ridge?

Author's Note:

Whaddya think? Good? Bad? Weird? Feel free to let me know!