• Published 2nd Feb 2013
  • 1,042 Views, 34 Comments

Two Ponies - TwilightSnarkle



Smudge loved well, and loved deeply -- perhaps too deeply for those ponies he left behind.

  • ...
0
 34
 1,042

Smudge's Epilogue

Cayenne woke up early one spring morning, having heard a noise in the greatroom. She was surprised to find Luna waiting, smiling - nay, beaming - with excitement.

“I found it,” she said. “Just yesterday.”

“Found what?” She rubbed her eyes blearily.

Luna levitated a tiny, black acorn from behind her crown, and set it at Cayenne’s hooves. Moments later, a pale green leaf joined it.

“I found where he went.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Tell your husband you’ll be right back. I need to show you, quickly, before I have to lower the moon.”

“I’ll do it... just a moment.” She disappeared into the bedroom, and returned seconds later, a very surprised stallion in tow.

“Drifter, this is Princess Luna.”

He made to bow, but stumbled in shock.

“She needs to take me somewhere, for just a moment. I’ll be back by sunrise, I promise.”

“I... okay. I’ll be here.”

She kissed him lightly on the cheek.

“Start a fire for us, hm?”

And so he did.


The Princess was a powerful flier, swift and sure, and Cayenne worked to keep up. Twenty minutes later, perhaps thirty, she stopped and hovered in midair, and gestured downwards as Cayenne reached her.

“It’s down there. Just... go see. They’re waiting.”

“I...”

“Go on. I have to fly. And, Cayenne? Thank you. The banners are beautiful.”

With that she was gone.

Cayenne spiraled downwards, not knowing what she’d find, and then she saw it.

The oak was still small. After all, they grew slowly. She knew how old it was. Its branches and trunk were a dusky grey, its roots raven black. It lifted, proudly - happily? - a bough of the palest green, tiny leaves. It was him, she was sure. And her, she guessed. The love of his life. She lit upon the ground, eyed the oak warily for a moment, then laid at its trunk. She leaned against it, and felt him there.

She rested a short while, and then stood, and rubbed her muzzle against the grey bark.

“Thank you,” she murmured. “For everything.”

With that, she turned away, took a few steps, and leapt into the sky. Soaring, laughing, looping, she flew towards the east. The sky was brightening already, and she had promises to keep.

Comments ( 33 )
PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Time to signal boost. :D

That story was beautiful.

RBDash47
Site Blogger

Wow, Two Ponies here?

You rejoining the fandom, Snarkle?

2060283
It's always been here. I just never paid enough attention to that 'submit' button...
I'm back so long as I can afford internet. A long strange trip it's been, but I hope to stay a while.

RBDash47
Site Blogger

2060321
It's a genuine please to see you again. Welcome back.

Thank you and bless you for this one. This was very gentle, and very beautiful. I'm grateful to have found it. Favorited.

This is on FimFic!? Time for a reread of one of my favorite stories in this fandom!

Yep, easily as beautiful as I remember it.

Loved this fic. This bring me back to my days on Pony Fiction Archive back when I first joined the fandom. So much nostalgia ...
now to go reread The Party Hasn't Ended. I must continue rekindling the memories!

Thank you all for the kind words. While my crossover seems to get the most attention, I have to admit that this story is my personal favorite - a treasure for many reasons. It warms this old heart to know it's touched others as well.

I remember reading this what seems like an age ago now. I remember that it made me feel awful, and I think that's the highest praise I can give it.

This fic takes a brief moment of a pony, out of a thousand, and expands upon it. There's a certain charm in these kinds of fics, and are undoubtedly one of few precious gems. Thank you for sharing this with us.

That was beautiful.

Cute story with interesting characters. Greenthumbed,

I have the emotions. Those soft emotions of life, the ones you captured so beautifully in Smudge's world. Your writing really captures the regular moments of life, giving the stories a kind of old movie feel. The kind where you know everyone and your all good friends just hanging out. I am really enjoying your work and looking forward to reading some more when it is not midnight. These stories are written with care and love, and it really shows.

~Momentai

THESE FEELS ARE TOO MUCH FOR ME. :fluttercry::raritycry::applecry:

Come on! This thing easily makes my top 20 of all time! How can it only have 43 upvotes?

That was fantastic and it is a crime to humanity that this barely has over a hundred views.

I remember this, it is the most beautifully bittersweet fic I've ever read.

Thanks to everyone who's commented again. This is my favorite piece I've ever written, despite its flaws, for many reasons--not the least of which was a remembrance of an old friend. :heart:

You made me cry so much that I got a headache! Very beautiful story.:raritycry:

2066229
For very good reason. This is one of the fandom's best. You should be very, very proud of it.

I have no words to express how beautiful this story is.
It's simple, short, yet complete.

Thank you for imagining it, writing it, and sharing it with us.

This is haunting. This captures so many aspects of life that are not explored enough in writing. Thank you for sharing this, it was something special.

Oh wow, I remember reading this on Google Docs. Didn't know it was here, too. Thank you for sharing it with us.

This was what made me get into pony fanfiction. It made me cry and I absolutely loved it!!

Wow. I have no words. Stories like this make me wanna never stop reading.

Hauntingly beautiful. I dare say it is worthy of my top favorites, and I set a high standard.

~Crystalline Electrostatic~

Glad I discovered this after all these years. Poignant, heartfelt, moving, sparse when it needs to be. Gentle and quiet yet powerful. Thank you for writing it.

Wanted to see if I could generate a bit more attention for it despite the 10/12 years it's been around, so brought in good ol' Paul among the ranks of its ardent supporters. Hope you don't mind the review request :twilightsheepish:

11688863
Thank you, kindly. Though it has its flaws, this story is the one I'm most proud of after all these years. It's nice to share it with more folks. ❤️

11689000
Ditto everything up there, but have an extra ❤️.

Beautiful story.:twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment