• Published 10th Dec 2012
  • 2,176 Views, 98 Comments

Naractia's Nightmare-(Night) - Shadowflame



Princess Naractia, daughter of queen Chrysalis, is on the run from her own hive. The only one who can help her is a unicorn named Rowan. Book 2 of the Shadow Magic Series.

  • ...
7
 98
 2,176

Give Us Something Sweet To Bite

Princess Luna stood on the wall of Canterlot, ready to depart to Ponyville for the Nightmare Night celebration. Now, she only had to wait for Rowan to send up the flare of his magic to signal that they were ready for her. She knew that any second now, the flare would come, but so far nothing had happened.

Luna sighed as she roamed her thoughts, Hopefully, the changelings Rowan mentioned haven't caused any problems. But with the prospect of more changelings in Ponyville, no being would know what the outcome of this could be.

She turned towards her chariot, where two of her lunar guards stood ready, harnesses attached to carry her to Ponyville. Luna started to become anxious to go, Perhaps I should go now? Although, if I do arrive early, then I'm sure Rowan would be slightly distressed. The princess smiled at the thought of her angry student.

Luna sighed, I can wait a little while longer.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Rowan stared wide-eyed in shock at the sight of the approaching swarm of changelings, mouth hanging open in utter horror. Several ponies down in the crowd noticed Rowan's pause and turned to see what he was looking at. One by one they all turned to see a fleet of changelings flying towards the town. However, since it was Nightmare Night, they didn't react like they usually would have.

One pony exclaimed in the crowd, "Wow, is this another part of the opening?"

Another spoke out, "Those guys have really cool costumes."

Rowan was taken aback at the town's reaction, What the... They think this is part of the act.

Suddenly, Rowan felt a hoof tap him on the shoulder. He turned to see the Mayor standing next to him. She looked warily at the approaching changelings, "Um, Rowan? I don't remember deciding to do this as part of the celebration. Did you plan this?"

Rowan couldn't bring himself to speak, "Uh..."

Suddenly, Rainbowdash lighted down onto the stage, "Listen up everypony! This isn't part of the show. Those are real changelings! Run!"

Realization dawned the crowd and they all began to scream in panic. Everypony began to flee towards the streets leading out of the square. But they were met by several changelings who dropped out of the sky, blocking off any exit out of the square.

From atop the stage, Rowan could see that at least one changeling stood at every exit of the square. The rest of the swarm was circling the sky, blocking any pegasus from flying away. They had completely surrounded everypony in the square.

Then, out of the sky, a single changeling descended on the stage. Rowan noticed that this one was different than the others, given the fact that he actually had a mane.

The changeling lighted down on the stage, a maniacal grin plastered on his face, "My, isn't this a convenience. Every pony in Ponyville gathered in one place. I'd consider myself lucky for a situation like this."

Rowan glared at the changeling, "Who are you and what do you want?"

The changeling raised an eyebrow, "Oh, I forgot. We haven't met, Rowan. But I know full well about you. I was actually present in this town when you first arrived from Canterlot."

Rowan's mind clicked in realization, "You... You're that spy that told Chrysalis about the Liber Tenebrarum. You were the cause of the first changeling attack on Ponyville two months ago."

Everypony who had been listening gasped in shock, only to be quickly silenced by the changelings surrounding them.

The changeling smirked at Rowan, "Yes, that was all because of me. But nowadays, I go by another name. I am now known as Vironect, proclaimed heir of the Changeling Queen Chrysalis." Vironect chuckled slightly, "But you, Rowan, know full well what I want. I want that banished traitor, Naractia, as well as my three agents who I sent after her in the first place. I know you're hiding them here."

Rowan pointed his horn threateningly towards Vironect, "No, you aren't getting any of them. And I won't let you hurt anypony here in the process."

Vironect only chuckled, "In case you haven't noticed, Rowan, my changelings outnumber those ponies who can stand against them. You are alone in this instance."

Rowan glared at the changeling, "I've handled worse." But in his mind, he realized that Vironect was right. Crap, if all of these changelings are as good of fighters as the first three Vironect sent, then this will be more difficult than before. I'll need all of the help I can get. Rowan turned to Rainbowdash, "Grab Sassaflash and Thunderlane. You three need to get everyone else to help."

Rainbow nodded and took to the sky. Meanwhile, Vironect had noticed Rowan's actions, "Why bring your friends here? You're smart enough to know that Naractia would need protection in the place where she is... Unless," Vironect looked up to his changelings that circled the sky above the square, "Search the crowd. Naractia is around here somewhere. Bring me everyone who resists or tries to run."

Rowan cursed to himself, Dang it, Vironect is smarter than I thought. I can't let him find Naractia. Rowan turned to Vironect, "You harm a single pony here, and I'll make sure that you won't leave this town in one piece." Instantly, his horn began to glow, emphasizing his point.

Vironect merely smirked at Rowan, "Do you really think it's wise to fight me? I'm more powerful than you think, but I'd be happy to oblige in sealing your death wish."

Meanwhile, the changelings descended out of the sky and began to sift through the crowd, looking for the banished changeling princess. Twilight drew closer to Naractia at her side, "Keep close to me. We can't let them find you."

Naractia nodded in agreement, "We need to get out of the square as soon as possible."

Twilight sighed as she whispered to Naractia, "I'd teleport us out of here, but I can only teleport so far and every changeling would notice. They'd catch us in an instant. And you can't change into disguise without sending up green flames. Again, they'd notice that to. It looks like we'll have to improvise."

Naractia nodded, "What do you have in mind?"

"We'll simply have to wait out their search. When one gets close, I want you to duck down behind me until it passes on."

"Right."

Meanwhile, back on the stage, Rowan and Vironect glared down at each other. Vironect glared at Rowan, "You've been a pain to deal with, you and Naractia both. But with both of my enemies befriended with each other, that just makes me tick. But now, I'm going to kill you. After all, think just how well Chrysalis will reward me when she learns that I've silenced the one who took away her power."

Rowan set his horn aglow in preparation to fight. Vironect did likewise, giving Rowan a taunting expression. Suddenly, Vironect let loose a ray of magic from his horn, right at Rowan.

Rowan quickly brought up a shield and deflected the spell, and he then countered with a flaming crescent. Expecting Rowan to attack with his signature spell, Vironect immediately powered his wings, flying sideways out of the projectile's path.

Surging forward on his wings, Vironect rushed at Rowan in the intention of tackling the unicorn. However, right as Vironect was about to hit Rowan, the gray unicorn suddenly melded with his shadow, avoiding the oncoming blow. Vironect passed overhead harmlessly and Rowan instantly reformed back to his normal form.

Rowan quickly whirled around to see Vironect coming in for another hit and brought up his shield. Seeing the shield, Vironect slowed his flight and, with his front legs, began to hammer away at Rowan's shield.

Rowan cringed with each blow Vironect dealt to his shield. This changeling was stronger than he had anticipated. It was becoming difficult to keep his shield up for much longer.

Suddenly, a small crack appeared in the magical barrier between him and the changeling. Rowan cringed, I need someone stronger to help. If only Princess Luna... Rowan's eyes widened, Crap, I never sent the flare to signal Princess Luna. I need to send the flare and quickly.

For an instant, Rowan thought about sending the flare, but he realized if he sent the flare, he wouldn't be able to keep his concentration on his shield. If his shield dropped and he hadn't sent the flare yet, Vironect would beat him senseless. Rowan sighed, That's a chance I have to take.

With that, Rowan raised his horn up to the sky and prepared the flare. Red sparks began to wrap around his horn as Rowan concentrated on the flare, but meanwhile, his shield began to waver. Seeing the opportunity, Vironect reared back and struck the fading shield with all of the force he could muster.

Instantly, the shield shattered under the changelings force and Vironect charged at Rowan, tackling him to the ground. In one moment, Rowan lost his focus on the flare as he was thrown to the floor of the stage. But before he could react, Vironect thrust his front leg on top of Rowan's neck, effectively pinning the unicorn to the ground and strangling him as well.

Rowan struggled under Vironect's hold as he gasped for breath. In retaliation, Rowan tried to fire a flaming crescent at the changeling, but he couldn't concentrate. His mind only had one thought, to find a way to breath again.

Vironect smirked at Rowan and nodded his head off to the side, "Look over there."

Rowan glanced to where Vironect pointed. Down off of the stage, there stood the changelings who had been searching for Naractia. Now, each of them were holding their own captives. To Rowan's relief, Naractia wasn't among them. But he was still concerned for the ponies the changelings held. But then, Rowan's eyes widened as he saw Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo struggling under the changeling's hold.

Vironect turned to his changelings, "Bring them up here."

All of the changelings with captives flew into the air and landed on the stage, keeping their prisoners in their grasp. Satisfied, Vironect turned to the crowd, "Naractia, I've given you enough time to decide, and so, I'll give you one more chance. Reveal yourself or else, for every minute you hide, I'll kill another pony, starting with this one." Vironect suddenly pressed harder down on Rowan's throat. By now, his lungs were burning as they struggled to find air.

Rowan's vision began to blur, but he could still hear the silence of the crowd. Naractia wasn't going to reveal herself just yet.

Vironect raised an eyebrow, "Oh, so you aren't going to come forth when I ask, are you Naractia? Well, you'll pay for not respecting your authority. Now Rowan will pay for your mistake."

Rowan's eyes bulged as Vironect pressed down on his throat harder than before. Instantly, his vision began to turn black as unconsciousness drew near... or possibly his own death. The last thing that went through his mind was, Is this how it ends?... I never got to return home... I'll never return. The last thing Rowan heard was the screaming of the crowd before everything went black.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Princess Luna looked out on Ponyville below, worry beginning to come to her mind. She was beginning to get anxious to leave, It has been far too long. Rowan would have sent the flare by now. Something must have happened.

The Lunar diarch looked to her guards, "We need to leave for Ponyville at once." She started to get into her chariot.

One of her guards gave her a curious look, "But your highness, the flare hasn't been fired. Shouldn't we wait a few moments longer?"

Luna shook her head, "Something must have happened. We need to depart for Ponyville now, or else may be possible that we'll have a crisis on our hooves."

Her guards nodded and took to the sky, pulling the chariot along with them.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Naractia watched wide-eyed in horror as Vironect strangled Rowan on the stage, whispering to herself, "Rowan... no..." Her mind screamed at her to fly onto the stage and protect Rowan, but the only thing that held her back was Twilight's grasp on her shoulder.

Twilight whispered into her ear, "No, you can't give yourself up. I know you want to help Rowan, and I do, too. But he wouldn't have wanted you to die for his sake."

Naractia glanced at Twilight, "Then what do we do? Vironect will keep killing everypony else until I give myself up. I have to do this."

Twilight's eyes widened, "You're not seriously thinking of going up there, are you? Y-You can't."

Naractia narrowed her eyes, "I have to if I want to save Rowan."

But then, out of the sky, three balls of green fire shot down towards the stage. The crowd of ponies gasped as the fireballs rushed at the changelings on stage. One slammed into Vironect, knocking him off of Rowan, while the other two shot into two of the other changelings holding ponies captive.

Naractia and Twilight stared wide-eyed at the scene that had just happened. Twilight shook her head, "What was that?"

Naractia stammered, "I know what that was, b-but why would..."

On the stage, Vironect stood up from being knocked back by a fireball, both dazed and furious, "What the heck..." He looked up to see a single changeling standing between him and Rowan. Vironect's eyes widened as he recognized the changeling, "What? What are you doing?"

The male changeling smirked at his former leader, "I'm fulfilling my duty to my princess, which includes protecting her friends." He was quickly joined by the female and leader as they stood at either side of him.

Naractia gasped as she looked at all three of the changelings she had spent the past days with, "They all... They all came for me?"

Vironect glared at the three changelings in front of him, "Have you three completely lost your senses? Siding with Naractia is an act of betrayal to the hive."

The leader narrowed his eyes at Vironect, "Well, for your information, we're no longer part of the hive. We will no longer serve under Chrysalis or you, a power hungry spy who will kill without a second thought."

Vironect spat at them all, "Quiet, you traitor. I am Vironect, proclaimed heir of Queen Chrysalis. It's my duty to snuff out any weakness in the hive, as well as the traitors to the queen."

The female smirked, "Sorry, Vironect. You won't be returning to the hive with Naractia. We won't allow it."

Vironect's face became flushed in rage, "Then you shall die first!" He turned to every changeling in the square, "Forget Naractia and the ponies. Kill these three traitors!"

All of the changelings, at once, leaped into the air and flew to the stage, surrounding the three changelings. The changelings on the stage let go of their captives and faced the three traitors as well.

Everypony in the square noticed that the changelings weren't blocking the way out anymore, but none of them ran. They didn't know if they should run out of fear or stay out of curiosity.

As the male, female, and leader changelings readied themselves to fight against their old comrades, the male glanced at his friends, "So, you guys ready?"

The leader nodded, "Yes, we will fight to the death. For the princess."

The female added, "For all of Equestria."

The male nodded, "Let's do this."

But then, a voice sounded out from across the square, "Hey, don't forget about us!"

Everybody, both changeling and pony turned to see a large group of friends standing on the opposite side of the square. It was Rainbowdash, Thunderlane, and Sassaflash, and with them they had brought Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and Spike.

Rainbowdash narrowed her eyes at the swarm of changelings around the stage, "We are Naractia's friends, like those three changelings in front of you. We protect each other no matter what."

Applejack added, "Even if that means getting your hooves a bit dirty,"

Thunderlane interjected, "Our friends are what matter. Even if we don't know them as well as others,"

Caramel finished, "They are still our friends nonetheless."

Vironect glared at the group of ponies in front of him, "Hm, I had not realized Naractia would be able to befriend so many ponies in such short time. No matter, I will deal with you all after I kill these traitors of the hive."

Pinkie Pie shouted at Vironect, "Oh, no you don't! I haven't made friends with them, yet. Nobody gets in the way of Pinkie Pie making friends with others."

Vironect growled at them, "Fine, then I will kill you all now." He turned to his changelings, "Kill these traitors, both changeling and pony alike!"

In an instant, the two forces charged towards each other. With the commotion, all of the onlookers in the square got enough mind to run for cover. Everypony screamed as a mini war broke out in the square. Several ponies ran and hid underneath Nightmare Night decorations, while others barred themselves in the nearby houses.

When the entire crowd had cleared, there only stood two figures in the square: Twilight and Naractia.

Twilight tugged on Naractia's shoulder, "Come on, we need to get out of here, before anybody sees you."

Naractia hesitated, unsure what to do about the chaos that was unfolding around her. But then, she stood her ground, "No, I'm not going to hide and watch my friends get hurt." Before Twilight could object, Naractia spread her wings and flew high above the square. Inhaling deeply, Naractia yelled at the top of her lungs, "STOP!"

Immediately, everybody paused when they heard Naractia's shout, both changeling and pony, both onlooker and fighter. Naractia glanced at everybody, flying high where everyone could see, "I've had enough. I won't stand around and see anyone get hurt for me." She turned to Vironect, "I'm right here, Vironect. I'll give myself up, only if you leave Equestria forever and cause no more harm to anypony."

Vironect smirked evilly at Naractia, "Typical of you to make last requests, Naractia." He sighed, "Very well, I will keep my forces out of Equestria but only if you come without any resistance."

The male changeling called out, "No, Princess. What are you doing? You can't do this!"

Naractia ignored him, "But I have one more request."

Vironect raised an eyebrow, "And that would be?"

"Those three changelings that you sent after me, they are pure and good. They have become my friends as well. I want you to keep away from them and never harm any of them."

Vironect smirked at Naractia, "Sorry, Naractia, but that is a request that I can't fulfill. Seize her!"

Suddenly, three changelings flew at Naractia and grabbed her arms and legs. Naractia struggled under their hold, "What? No! Why won't you fulfill my request?"

Vironect sighed, "You are clueless, aren't you? If I allow them to live, then I will return to the hive having taken care of one traitor, but making three others in the process. You can imagine how Queen Chrysalis would react to that. She would kill me, and I can't let that happen. After all, I still have several plans for Equestria."

Naractia glared at him, "You- you said you would stay out of Equestria. You broke our deal!"

Vironect smirked at her, "I was lying, like I always do. I don't see why you would trust the word of the one who had you banished in the first place." He looked to his changelings, "Take her away."

Naractia screamed and struggled under the changeling's hold as they began to fly away with her in their grasp. But before they could make it very far, a blinding light, brighter than the light of the full moon, shot down around Naractia and the changelings holding her.

Everybody shielded their eyes from the brightness, but in an instant, the light subsided. Everybody looked to see the three changelings who had been holding Naractia fall to the ground. Above them, Naractia was held aloft by none other than Princess Luna in her chariot being pulled by her guards.

Naractia looked in shock at the Lunar diarch, "Princess Luna!"

Luna smiled at Naractia, "Yes, it is me Naractia. I have watched everything that has just occurred. I commend you for your bravery."

Naractia smiled back and Luna looked down at Vironect and his changelings, "Vironect, you are no longer welcome here, neither you or your forces. You have terrorized Ponyville, severely harmed my student, and you were the cause of the last full scale changeling attack on Ponyville. You shall not harm Naractia or the other changelings who have left your charge. From this moment on, they are under my protection and they are no longer a concern of yours. You shall not harm them and you shall leave Equestria with your forces, never to return. If you fail to do so, then I shall be forced to use the full extent of my power."

Vironect was aghast at the sudden appearence of Princess Luna, he looked frantically glanced around at the square. He had only brought twenty of his toughest changelings, and yet, here he stood against four changeling traitors, their friends from Ponyville, and Princess Luna herself.

Taking everything in, Vironect took a deep breath, "Very well. I know when I'm outnumbered. But know this, Naractia. This isn't the last that you'll see of me. Like I said before, I have big plans for Equestria." With that, he spread his wings and took to the sky, with all of his changelings following behind. In an instant, they flew over the Everfree Forest and out of sight.

With the changelings gone, Luna's chariot landed in the middle of the square. Naractia hopped out, followed by Luna. But when Naractia had stepped out, she found that everypony in town had gathered around them. She was stunned silent as hundreds of eyes rested on her, full of confusion, horror, and curiosity. Naractia wasn't sure what to do, but then the three other changelings lighted down on the ground next to her.

Naractia was pleased to have her friends around her, but she was still concerned about what everypony was thinking at the moment.

The male leaned into Naractia, whispering, "What do we do now?"

But then, after a moment of silence, much to all of the changelings' surprise, everypony began to cheer. They began to congratulate them for saving the town.

Naractia and the others were awestruck, "Wow, they really... like us?"

Luna smiled down at the changelings before her, "Of course they do. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't."

The male looked up at Luna, "But, we're changelings."

"Maybe, but anyone can look past any fact to find good in others."

Naractia smiled in satisfaction and waved to the crowd of cheering ponies. Soon, the others joined in. Naractia beamed to herself. This is where they belonged.

But then, out of nowhere, a shrill howl pierced the air, quieting the crowd. Naractia instantly recognized it to be Shade. She raised an eyebrow, "What the...?" Spreading her wings, Naractia took to the sky to get a clearer view of where Shade's howl had come from. Up in the air, Naractia spotted the wolf on the stage, standing over...

Naractia gasped with horror, "Oh, no! Rowan!" She quickly flew through the air and lighted down on the stage next to Rowan. She bent down next to Rowan's motionless body and began to gently shake him, "Rowan?"

There was no response. Naractia placed a leg on the side of Rowan's neck, trying to feel for a pulse... There was none.

Naractia gasped in shock, "No... no..." Behind her, several ponies began to gather around the stage. All of her friends joined her on the stage, surrounding the changeling princess and Rowan.

Naractia felt a tear fall from her eye as Twilight stepped forward to inspect Rowan. Twilight looked at Rowan, unsure what to do, "Is he...?"

Naractia let out small sob, "He's... He's dead."

Everyone gasped in shock. Taking the initiative, Twilight quickly called out to the crowd, "Somepony, get medical attention, now!" Without a moment of hesitation, several ponies ran in the direction of the hospital.

Up on the stage, Thunderlane looked to Princess Luna pleadingly, "Can't you do something, Princess? Anything at all?"

Luna shook her head, "I am sorry. Even my magic wouldn't be of use now. Too much time has passed, for if I had done something sooner, then I could have perhaps revived Rowan."

Everypony in the crowd was bustling in conversation, but Naractia didn't hear them. She only cared for her friend who was now gone. Her first friend ever since she left the hive. Her friend who had protected her until it cost him his own life.

Naractia broke down in tears, falling to the ground in front of her lifeless friend, "Rowan, I'm sorry. This is all my fault. I didn't want anyone to die for me." Even when surrounded by her new found friends, she felt completely alone with the loss of her dearest friend.

Author's Note:

Well, there you have it. That was the final chapter......................................................................

















............................ Got ya! (Insert troll face here)

Okay, so there's one more chapter left, but it's going to be more of an epilogue. Sorry to leave you guys on a cliff hanger here, but I don't like making super long chapters. I'll try to get the final chapter out this weekend.

Oh, and props to those of you who saw what I did with the titles of the last three chapters.

Anyways, thanks for reading.
-Shadowflame