• Published 5th Dec 2012
  • 1,732 Views, 26 Comments

Love is Changeling - Inky Shades



Chrysalis never knew what friendship was until the day she met a young alicorn filly named Cadence.

  • ...
3
 26
 1,732

Chapter I: One Question Two Answers

When Chrysalis returned home from school she was originally going to tell her mother about everything that had happened. However, as she told her tale she conveniently omitted a few details. For instance, she didn't tell her mother that on her first day of school everypony picked on her or that she cried. Because after all she had been told, queens and future queens do not show weakness in front of others. There was one thing that she was absolutely ecstatic to talk about and that was Cadence.

After all, how often did changelings in the past have any friends let alone make any? So she told her mother everything she could about that light pink filly. Okay so she told her almost everything. A detail or two might have been twisted around ever so slightly. You know how Cadence had been the one to save her from those bullies? Well that story might have done a complete one-eighty with Chrysalis saying that she rescued Cadence. It was just a little lie, but it was worth it to see the brief look of pride on her mother's face.

Almost immediately after she finished her story her mother had her whisked out of the throne room. For her mother had of course more pressing things to concern her with then the tale of one schoolfilly. Being the queen meant placing the needs of the many over the needs of the few. Even if the few included her daughter. Personal attachments had no place in royal matters.

One of her mother's Royal Guard escorted Chrysalis up to her chambers. There she spent the rest of her day lying in bed, attempting to decipher the more illegible parts to her books. Little progress was made, but it gave her something to do to pass the time. Perhaps if she was able to she could find undamaged copies just lying around somewhere, maybe in another garbage pit?

The sun had started to set and bathed her room in an orange glow. Her stomach rumbled and she knew that could only mean one thing, it was time for dinner. She trotted downstairs and sat down at the intricately carved stone slab that was the table. An older changeling approached the table carrying a bowl full of a crimson colored liquid, love. The changeling placed the bowl in front of her.

"Mother is not coming again is she, Caretaker?" Chrysalis asked. She already knew what the answer would be, but it had become almost second nature for her to ask just the same.

"The Queen is very busy," she replied.

This was the answer that she expected, but still she'd be lying if she said that it wasn't disappointing to hear sometimes. Because she was often left alone her mother had hired that older changeling to tend to her while she was away. How long had that changeling been tending to her any way, was it a year or two now? At least she got to come up with a name for that changeling.

Since that changeling was deemed unimportant like thousands of other changelings she didn't have a name when she started to tend to her. So she decided to call her Caretaker. It wasn't the most creative name, but she didn't seem to mind it. Not that she would have had any say in the matter if she did. Although, she would have been open to her input if she had any.

Chrysalis took a sip of the love soup in front of her. This particular kind of love tasted savory. It made her wonder why it tasted this way. What was it about love that caused it to have so many flavors? She took a larger gulp of it, did the answer truly matter? Besides she probably wouldn't understand if somepony told her anyway. When she finished her dinner Caretaker took the bowl and placed it in a basin to clean later.

"It is time for you to retire now, Princess."

"Of course. Can you tell Mother that I said goodnight?"

"Yes."

"Thank you, Caretaker. Goodnight!" Chrysalis said, as she bolted up the stairs.

"Princess."

Chrysalis hopped unto her bed and cocooned herself under the covers. Tomorrow she would see Cadence again, tomorrow couldn't come soon enough. It wasn't long before she drifted off to sleep.

The next day...

Perhaps it was silly of her, but as Chrysalis looked for Cadence in the school's crowded courtyard she felt slightly nervous when she couldn't find her. What if she no longer wanted to be friends with her? It was completely ridiculous of her to think such things, but the mind didn't always work rationally. Fortunately for her she didn't have to fret for too long. Standing off to the side, next to a group of giggling fillies, was Cadence.

Cadence smiled at her when she spotted the young changeling. Chrysalis couldn't help but return the expression. There was just something about Cadence that just made her feel warm inside. It was a strange feeling, but it wasn't unpleasant. They trotted over to each other.

"I was looking for you!" Cadence said.

"Me too!" Chrysalis said, as she practically did a little jump.

Cadence giggled at her. "Are you ready for class?" she asked, placing a hoof over her mouth to stifle herself, but that didn't work and another little giggle escaped her lips.

"What's so funny?"

"Just you. You're still jumping."

"Oh!" She blushed at the realization that she was indeed still jumping. This was kind of embarrassing and by kind of she meant mortifying. Other fillies had been watching her too and they weren't being quite as subtle as Cadence was trying to be. "Can we go inside now?"

"Sure."

The two of them ended up seated in the class room even before the teacher arrived to actually start the class. This made the teacher, a mare with a white coat and teal mane; give them a small nod of approval. While Chrysalis had only wanted to come in earlier to avoid be stared and or laughed at, getting on a teacher's good side seemed like a good idea. Soon everypony came in and took their seats. A few fillies glanced over at her and she thought that they were about to giggle again, but thankfully they only smirked.

"Welcome class!" the teacher began. "I am your teacher, Diamond Song, and today we are going to learn about cutie marks. Who here can tell me what a cutie mark is?"

Several hooves shot up into the air. Ms. Song looked over her choices appreciatively. "Mr. Lance." She had made her decision.

"A cutie mark is a picture that appears on somepony's flank when they discover their special gift," the grey colt said.

"Right you are Mr. Lance. You see class, when ponies are born they don't have their cutie marks yet. Usually they begin to appear around your ages now. This is because you really start to learn who you are as a pony by this time. Though there are always exceptions to the rule. Some ponies get them earlier than others and some are late bloomers. I've even heard a few ponies say that they didn't get their cutie marks until they were almost fully grown.

"While the last one is an extremely rare example you shouldn't feel disappointed if you don't get your cutie mark right away. So many fillies and colts end up upset because they were the last in their class to receive their cutie mark. What they don't seem to understand is that you can't rush it. A cutie mark is something that comes naturally with time. Any questions?"

"I have a question Ms. Song! Since we're unicorns why can't we just make a cutie mark appear?" Star Flare asked.

"That is a good question Ms. Flare, to which I have a simple answer for you. A cutie mark only appears when its bearer realizes their special gift themselves and no amount of magic can change that. Despite this fact it never does seem to make young unicorns ever stop trying. This is all the time we have for questions, but if anypony wishes to learn more about cutie marks I will be available after class. Now, taking what we have just learned about cutie marks I want each of you to write an essay about what you think your special gift might be."

When the class was over everypony handed Ms. Song their papers. Almost everypony that is except for Chrysalis. She tried to come up with something, but she didn't even know if changelings could get cutie marks. So she hung back and waited for most of the class to file out for lunch before turning in her blank paper. Luckily Ms. Song was understanding of her predicament and told her that it was fine. However, it wasn't really fine was it? This just proved again how much different she was from everypony else.

She joined Cadence who was waiting just outside the door and they walked into the cafeteria to join the others for lunch. They chose a secluded table in the back of the cafeteria to eat. Despite being out of the way Chrysalis couldn't help, but notice all the ponies looking over at her. Were they still thinking about the jumping incident from earlier? No, some of their eyes were specifically targeting Cadence. Why would they be looking at her in such a manner? It didn't have to do with herself did it? She would not want Cadence to be negatively affected by her presence.

"Cadence I think that they are watching us."

Cadence took a bite of a bright red appl. "So?" she asked, taking another bite of the fruit.

"So? Aren't you worried what they might think of you if you're seen with me? You've been so nice to me. I wouldn't want you to lose all your friends because of... me." If Cadence wasn't going to be concerned about her image then I would.

"Actually I don't have any other friends besides you." There was a sad look in Cadence's eyes when she admitted this.

Great I had just upset my only friend, but why was I her only friend. Cadence was the nicest pony that I knew. Admittedly I didn't know very many ponies personally, but still. How could a changeling be her only friend? Everypony should be flocking to her. Before she could stop herself she asked the one question that was on her mind. "Cadence how come you don't have any more friends? You're so nice; it doesn't make any sense to me."

Cadence gave her a small smile. "If I tell you do you promise to still be my friend afterwards?" She looked at Chrysalis fearfully.

Chrysalis herself was nervous too. "Of course I will," She said. Please don't let it be anything bad and make me a liar.

"It's my aunt mostly..." That wasn't so bad. "Everypony believes that if they upset me she will send them to the moon." Ohh... that's not good. Wait, is that even possible? No, there was nopony who could do that! Right?

"Your aunt doesn't really send ponies to the moon does she?" Please say no.

"Well she did once..."

"I, uh, see." She could feel herself become a little more on edge too. It wasn't fair, but she just couldn't help it.

"You're scared of me now, just like the others. I can see it. Does this mean you don't want to be my friend anymore?"

She could see tears forming in the pony's eyes. Cadence truly believed that she would leave her. The two of them were so very similar at this moment. Chrysalis recalled the other day when all the ponies were making fun of her. Cadence was the only pony who stood up for her and even offered her a hoof in friendship. Why couldn't she be there for her now? While she wasn't sure how she felt about her aunt sending ponies to the moon that had nothing to do with Cadence. Even if it did, didn't she deserve somepony too? Chrysalis decided that she was going to be that somepony.

With a determined voice she said, "Of course I will still be your friend! It will take a little more than a story about being sent to the moon to drive me away." I'm sorry that I let you doubt me.

The tears that Cadence was holding back flowed freely now. These tears confused Chrysalis. You were supposed to cry when you were sad, but then why was she smiling?

Cadence reached across the table and wrapped her hooves tightly around Chrysalis. What is she doing? It is so tight, but it feels... nice. Chrysalis wasn't sure what this was act was called, but she decided to imitate the filly. Chrysalis could see everypony still watching them. However at this moment she really couldn't care less.

When school was over and Chrysalis was about to return to the hive she heard Cadence's voice calling out to her. "Chrysalis wait up a second!"

Chrysalis stopped getting into the chariot and turned around, much to the disappointment of her rides home. "What is it?"

"I was just wondering if you could stay here longer after school tomorrow. There's someplace I'd like to show you if you're interested."

"Of course I'm interested!" She gave the two chariot pullers a pleading look. "If it is okay with you two."

"Whatever you want," they replied.

Both girls were happy with this and they did that tight squeezing thing again before parting ways. Later she was going to have to figure out what that was called.

There was a question she had on her mind when she returned to the hive. A question that she hoped her mother had an answer to. She rushed into the throne room. Her mother was sitting quite regally on the throne. The throne was a massive seat carved from the stone that was part of the first changeling hive and it was adorned with portraits of all the past queens. Her mother appeared to be having a conversation with somepony. Presumably it was somepony important, but it could be very hard to tell other changelings apart sometimes.

This did nothing to dissuade Chrysalis from piping up though. "Your Highness, Your Highness!" Hey I actually remembered this time! "I have a question for you!"

Her mother looked annoyed at the interruption. "We shall finish our conversation later Captain."

"Yes, my queen."

Chrysalis could see many scars covering the changeling's body as he left. He gave her a small nod as he passed by. No way, was that the captain of the Royal Guard? It dawned on her that she may have just barged in on something important. Hopefully her mother wouldn't be too upset with her.

"What is it Princess?" There was a hint of anger in her mother's voice.

"Your Highness, why don't ponies like me?"

Her mother smiled at her, but it wasn't warm like Cadence's. "It is because they are jealous of you. They know that you are superior to them in every way," she stated.

"But why?"

"Don't concern yourself with the opinions of those ponies, they are below you. As a future leader of our race it will become your job to make sure that the changeling hive continues on its path of dominance. Fear will become your greatest ally. Whether it is for your subjects or your victimes. Does this answer your question?"

"I guess." No it really doesn't.

"Good. Now I have to continue my duties. I trust that you can escort yourself out?"

"Yes, of course!" There was still one more changeling that I could ask.

Chrysalis was almost out the door when her mother's voice stopped her in her tracks. "And, Princess, I would suggest not interrupting my meetings again."

"Right, sorry, Your Highness!" Get me out of here!

She was glad to leave the throne room behind her. If her mother knew who she was about to see then she would probably get sealed in her room and never let out again, but this question of hers was just too important to leave. Her father would know the answer.

In changeling society there was little value placed in males, espicially if you were royalty. Most males were deemed insignificant, barely worth even recognizing. Despite the fact that the vast majority of changelings were in fact male. Only females had the brains to keep the hive running. Men were only good for three things, fighting, building, and breeding. Chrysalis wasn't sure how this thought process had started, but for as far back as anypony could remember this was how it always was.

If she hadn't over heard her mother talking about her father one night then she would never have known that he existed. She was nervous meeting him the first time, but she was glad that she did. He changed her mind on how she viewed males. They weren't the simple brutes that her mother made them out to be. Instead she thought that they could do just as well as the females running the hive, but some ideas right or wrong were just so ingrained into their society. It would take her years to even try to make a difference.

When she told her father sometime ago that she would like to try to change the ways that males were viewed he simply told her no. To him it didn't matter, but he did not want her to ruin her image to the changeling populace. He made her promise not to tell anypony about her opinions either, especially her mother. Changes to the norm were not usually accepted by changelings.

Her father lived in the commons, Spire 9, Nest 115. The first time she visited the commons she was in awe of just how many changelings lived here. Thousands upon thousands of changelings called this place home. Also the noise took her some getting used to. Back at the Royal Spire there was only a few hundred changelings so you only heard the occasional sound of flight, but here the sound was almost deafening. At any given time it seemed that half the population was in-flight. Surprisingly despite this there wasn't an over abundance of mid-air collisions. The commons were always expanding and yet there never seemed to be enough space for everypony.

Chrysalis took off and flew to her father's nest. She knocked on the hole cover and waited a few moments for a response. The cover slid to the side and she was greeted by her father. "Chrysalis what are you doing here? Come in!"

She set herself down and followed him inside. "Father I have a question for you," she asked, sitting down on the couch. Or at least what passed for a couch in the commons. It was more like a flat rock with a thin cushion on it.

"What's your question?" He sat down next to her.

"I was just wondering, why don't ponies like me?"

"That's right; I had heard that you're attending that school now. Well the only answer I have is this, most ponies fear what they don't understand. I don't think that it is just you that they don't like. I think that it is changelings in general and could you really blame them? We aren't the most likeable race out there and someday soon our ways are going to catch up to us. Does this answer your question?"

"Better than Mother's did, thank you!"

"What was your mother's answer?"

"Jealousy mostly."

"That sounds about right. Now tell me about your day."