• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 6,769 Views, 591 Comments

Harmony's Warriors: Soar - Avenging-Hobbits

  • ...
9
 591
 6,769

Act II - 11 - No More Turning Away

Act II:
"All Equal in the End"

Chapter Eleven:
"No More Turning Away"

As the two ponies trotted off, Spike turned and stepped back inside the makeshift base. Pinkie, who had been busy cleaning herself off after the fight, bounced up to him, still rubbing the sore spot on her jaw.

“Say Spikey, why did you let that pony go?” she asked, eyebrow raised.

“Well, there was a reason I called Fetlock. I had a hunch, he confirmed it, and I’m following through with it,” he said slyly, pouring himself a mug of coffee.

“And what hunch is that?” Pinkie asked as she tried to reach for the coffee only to have Spike gently push her hoof away.

“Just that our rainbow-maned friend and the hammer we found have quite a bit to do with each other. So, I think it would be best to see how things play out. And no, you can’t have coffee, we all know how you get when you drink coffee,” he said, motioning towards her other hoof, which was trying to reach for the espresso. Pinkie’s mane deflated ever so slightly.

“Darn it, I like coffee...” she sat down, crossing her arms. Spike simply chuckled.

“Look, if it’ll make you feel better, I’m going to make sure to keep an eye on that mare. Wanna be the leader?”

Pinkie Pie beamed. “Really Spikey Wikey?! You’d let me be the leader?”

Spike nodded. “As long as you stick with Agent Glimmer, then yes.”

Pinkie nodded rapidly, “Yeah whatever Spikey Wikey! I’ll go get my things ready!” She then sprung off, leaving Spike alone with the coffee, rolling his eyes slightly.

“I hope this doesn’t come back to bite me...” he muttered, taking a sip of his coffee.

////////////////////////////

Daring let out a content sigh as she set down her empty glass. Next to her, Rainbow Dash intensely watched the bubbles in her club soda rise to the top of her glass and dissipate.

Daring cleared her throat slightly in an effort to catch Rainbow’s attention. “Um...look,” she said, awkwardly shifting her weight slightly. “About what happened back there, me leaving you like that, that was heartless and I apologize. Again.”

Rainbow simply let out a heavy sigh in response, idly blowing a lock of her mane out from in front of her face. Daring had a strong wave of déjà vu; Rainbow’s manner brought back memories of Scootaloo’s state for the past six months, the sense of a soul utterly extinguished.

What do I say? She thought, glancing towards Rainbow again. ‘Wow I’m really sorry that you're not a goddess?’

She grimaced and waved for the bartender, who trotted over.

“Can I get a refill?” she asked, motioning towards her glass. The bartender nodded, and then motioned towards Rainbow.

“And yer friend?”

Daring simply shrugged. “I guess she’s good with her club soda...right Rainbow?” she asked, turning towards Rainbow. Rainbow’s eyes simply drifted towards Daring and then the bartender, before she shrugged dejectedly, turning back towards her now lukewarm drink.

The bartender shrugged. “Alrighty then missy.” He reached under the counter and pulled out a bottle of Sweet Apple Acres Cider and poured it into Daring’s glass. The sound of the bottle opening must have caught Rainbow’s attention, as her eyes instantly focused on the caramel colored liquid pouring into Daring’s glass.

“Um, sir, might you be so kind as to serve me some of that?” Rainbow asked, pointing at the bottle of cider. The bartender nodded, taking away the club soda and putting a fresh glass in front of Rainbow and filling it up.

“There ya go missey.” he murmured, his voice a low drawl as he closed the bottle and placed it back under the shelf. “Anythin’ else?”

Rainbow simply shook her head, quietly taking the glass in hoof and taking a sip. “No, that will be all. I must say that this is some of the best I’ve tasted.”

The bartender smiled. “Thank ya kindly, ma’am.” he replied, tipping his head and trotting away. Daring looked at Rainbow in surprise, as this had been the first thing she had said since they entered the bar. Her voice held none of the bombast of before, instead sounding quiet and hollow.

Daring half-twidled, half-rubbed her hooves together, trying to find something to use as a conversation starter. Anything to bring this pony out of the dumps... she thought.

“So you really think that you’re Rainbow Dash? Like, the real deal, mythological goddess of thunder?” she asked, a concerned look on her face.

Rainbow shrugged. “I once was, yes. But that was before I acted against the wishes of my mother and was banished here...to the mortal realm. She even went as far as to deprive me of my wings entirely.” She then moved a hoof to brush against her thigh. “Even my cutie mark. Completely stripped from me. All semblance of my original identity is gone from me now.” Daring could have sworn that her eyes were watering.

“But why?” Daring asked, now legitimately concerned. Even though this clearly was some kind of delusion, that didn’t change the fact that Rainbow was clearly a broken pony. Maybe she could draw her out enough to say what the matter really was; after all, nopony has such strong delusions for nothing.

Rainbow shook her head. “I have been so arrogant. I’ve stomped on those I saw as beneath me, mocked those who tried to discipline me, and blatantly disobeyed those who only sought to protect me and care for me. Even when I first arrived here, and you came and brought me to that hospital, I only acted rashly and foolishly.”

“Well...don’t let that keep you down,” Daring said, putting a hoof on Rainbow’s shoulder. “I’ve probably been a thousand times more of a nag then you. I acted in the absolute worst way towards you, what with me constantly thinking you wanted to hurt Scootaloo. Hay, I even threw a coffee mug at you and left you alone in a prison. I’m pretty sure that trumps anything you’ve done.” She took a sip of her own drink, which she hadn’t touched as she’d been listening to Rainbow. Rainbow shook her head again.

“No, no, you were doing the responsible thing as a parent. I had come into your life with no announcement and proceeded to completely capsize your lives in my selfish pursuit of Mjolnir—a weapon I’m not even worthy to wield. I have been an incredible fool. A complete and total fool.”

Daring gave Rainbow a long look. “Well,” Daring started, carefully trying to find the right words. “Maybe...maybe this is just so that you can see things from a new perspective. I mean, I know I did after I injured my wings.” She motioned towards her wings, which were tucked neatly next to her body. Rainbow gave her a questioning look.

“What do you mean?” she asked, her voice curious. Daring took a moment, remembering the incident that had made her rethink her life.

“Well, it was about ten years ago or so, give or take a few months, and back then, I was an archaeologist, and I’d fly around to go see the newest archeological dig, and this time, I had gone to...” she paused, trying to remember the exact location of the dig. “...I don’t remember honestly, I think it was South Griffinhiem or something. Anyways, I go to the dig, which if I remember correctly is on the edge of the border, and well, suffice to say things went downhill from there and I ended up breaking both my wings.” She paused to take in the memories for a moment.

“Go on,” Rainbow said, sounding genuinely invested in the story.

“Well, obviously I was sent home and had to stay in the hospital, where I was bed bound for like six months or so.”

“That’s terrible,” Rainbow said, her voice surprisingly sympathetic. “To be robbed of such a precious thing as your wings...”

“Well, it wasn’t all bad. During that time, I really had a chance to see how empty my life was. I mean I had spent years running around in the most dangerous parts of Equestria, all to find some random amulet here, a ancient pendant there, maybe the odd idol, but never really got a chance to stop and appreciate my life. It was always a wait for the next adventure, to go flying away from my stuffy job behind a professor’s desk and feel the fresh freedom of the open air. And then, after I was forced into a hospital bed, I had nothing. No more adventures, none of the thrill of it. Just day after day of endless switching through the television, or reading a book. It was driving me crazy.” Daring paused, her throat somewhat dry from her monologue, taking another sip of her cider. “My sister, Firefly was her name, must have heard about it though, as I found her visiting me everyday, which surprised me, since we hadn’t really been all that close. She always said it was because I shouldn’t let something like loosing my wings keep me from enjoying life. So she would constantly visit and bring over Scootaloo-”

“Scootaloo is not your daughter?” Rainbow asked, sounding taken aback by this information. Daring nodded, the conversation having brought up a boatload of long forgotten memories and emotions.

“Then if that’s true, whatever became of Firefly?” Rainbow asked, her eyebrow raised slightly.

“Well, six months ago she and her husband were called to go and inspect the weather factories on the edge of Equestria, so they left Scootaloo with me,” Daring said bluntly, more so that she wouldn’t let on how emotional she actually was. “And so, for about three months, it was just me and Scootaloo. I mean, Scootaloo was always on the rambunctious side, so I guess it managed to add a couple more grey hairs...which just goes to show.” She idly ran a hoof through her mane. “But then...one day, I get a call, and it’s Firefly, and she tells me: ‘Guess what sis! I’m going to be home tonight! We’re on a train, and we’ll be there soon, just you wait. But don’t tell Scootaloo, I want it to be a surprise.’” Daring once more halted, her voice quavering in spite of herself. “And so, I didn’t tell Scoots, and then that night came, and I had a cake and everything ready…and then the phone rings. I go to pick it up, and they ask ‘Is this Professor Do?’ and I say ‘Yes, why, what do you need?’ and they tell me ‘There’s been an accident.’” She stopped as she suddenly felt tears streaming down her cheeks, she hadn’t even realized she was crying. She felt a hoof on her shoulder and turned to see Rainbow looking at her with concern.

Daring once more noticed was how much Rainbow looked like Firefly in that moment, her face bearing the same look of concern that Daring had seen Firefly give her many times.

“You know, I think I finally know why Scootaloo likes you so much,” Daring said, taking a moment to blow her nose with a napkin from the dispenser next to them. Rainbow gave her a quizzical look.

“How can she like me? Did she not see my arrogance?” she asked, her voice confused. Daring shrugged slightly.

“I guess you just remind her of Firefly. She’s been so lonely lately, and I haven’t exactly been the best guardian a filly could have, so I guess when you came and plopped out of the sky, she figured you were some kind of comfort. That’s the best I can figure.”

Rainbow sighed, turning to look at her half-empty cider glass. “Then some form of comfort I have been. All I did was use her for my own ends.” She paused. “I feel I should know how it feels to lose a parent. My father...”

“He died?”

“Yes. I was but a filly however, and have only the vaguest of memories of him...” She paused, chuckling somewhat. “Mother always said I was more like my father then her. But that can’t be. He was noble and strong, I have been vain and foolish. How can I help your niece when I myself cannot even figure out where to go or what to do next?”

Daring was silent for a moment. Rainbow no longer seemed depressed but rather dazed, like someone who had been locked in a dark room all their life and was finally brought into the blinding light. She watched as Rainbow put her head in her hooves, shaking her head.

“I just don’t know what to do anymore...” Rainbow mumbled. A memory of Scootaloo the night she found out that her parents had died ran through Daring’s mind. Rainbow’s tone held the same sense of intense shock, like she was on the verge of imploding.

“I may be no expert, but the first thing I learned when back in that hospital, was that sometimes we don’t have all the answers. But once we admit that, we can start asking the right questions. And maybe once you do that, you can find your way,” Daring said, tapping Rainbow on the shoulder slightly. Rainbow looked towards her, a quivering smile on her face.

“Do you really believe that?” she said, her eyes still watering slightly. Daring nodded.

“That’s what happened to me,” she said, smiling in return. Rainbow nodded, sitting up straight, as if a weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

“I still believe I owe you an apology for my past actions, I truly am sorry,” Rainbow said, the smile still on her face, if somewhat sad. Daring shook her head.

“Trust me, I think you’ve apologized enough already. Now,” she motioned towards the bartender. “Right now, I think we’ve spent enough time wallowing in the dumps of our own silliness. How’s about we have a couple of drinks and then go home huh?”

“Home? You mean you think I’m family?” Rainbow asked. Daring nodded.

“Well, might as well. I’ve been way too mean to you lately and it’s obvious that you don’t have anywhere else to stay, so yes, consider yourself fully accepted. Now, drinks are me.”

Rainbow smiled, the sadness having slightly softened by a look of relief as the bartender came and took their orders for more cider, this time in two large glasses. Rainbow took the glass in hoof, taking a moment to process everything.

Maybe things wouldn’t be so bad. She obviously had someone who cared for her here, and this other mare, a mare she had offended and insulted many times, had willingly accepted her into her life. There had to be a way for her to make it up to Daring. Something...

“Um...Professor, I feel I must pay you back in some way,” she said, watching as Daring took a swig of her drink. Daring gave her a look.

“Well,” she said, setting the glass down for a moment. “For one thing you can stop talking so fancy. It really doesn’t become you.”

Rainbow shrugged slightly. “I apologize. That’s how we would normally speak with the mortals back in the old days. I guess things have changed quite a bit since the last time I was here,” she took a sip of her drink.

“Well, if you want a bit of help, I’d suggest you stop calling me Professor. I’m not teaching anymore. Just call me Daring. Everybody else does.”

“Alright then, ‘Daring’,” Rainbow said, her confidence growing somewhat. “I might as well,” she took a gulp of her drink, her eyes widening as the liquid poured down her throat and washed over her taste buds. “Goodness,” she said, “This is amazing! The best cider I’ve ever had!”

“Well then, Rainbow, bottoms up,” Daring said, smiling, proceeding to gulp down her own glass. Rainbow nodded as she gulped down her own drink.

Maybe things wouldn’t be so lonely after all.

////////////////////////////

Scootaloo couldn’t sleep. The first friend she’d had in what felt like ages, the only pony who didn’t gawk at her like she was the ghost instead of her parents, and now she was gone. She wiped a stray tear from her cheek, having long since finished with any actual crying, having settled for curling up in the sheets sniffing every so often.

She let out a shuddering sigh, quietly reaching into the draw of the nightstand next to her bed. She pulled out a framed photo of a pair of pegasi, both of them smiling broadly. In between them, with a smile wide enough to make it look as if her face might pop, was a tiny, bright orange filly with a messy purple mane. Behind the trio cascaded a brilliant waterfall of liquid rainbows.

Scootaloo bit her lip, fighting back the urge to cry again. The photo was from the last time her and her parents had been on vacation together. They had visited the fabled Winsome Falls, where torrents of pure, liquid rainbow would come pouring down from the Rainbow Factories above. Of course, the photo always brought back the memories of what had happened the day after. As soon as they had arrived home, both her mother and father had to go on some sort of inspection tour of Equestria, which meant that Scootaloo couldn’t come. So, at Firefly’s instance, they had dropped off Scootaloo at her aunt Daring’s house.

Scootaloo felt herself tense up slightly at the memory. It had been a typical day, with Scootaloo spending most of her time exploring the attic and listening to any one of the dozens of records that Daring had packed up there. That evening however, Daring had gone shopping, saying that they were out of milk. Scootaloo had thought it odd, but brushed it off. Later that evening, she was surprised by a brand new cake sitting on the table, with a ‘Welcome Home Firefly’ sign and everything. Daring had said that her mother was going to be home that evening.

But Mom never came. They waited for what seemed like hours, until the sharp sound of a phone ringing had caught their attention. Daring had gone over to answer, like she normally did, and Scootaloo remembered watching the color drain from the older mare’s face at the news. Next thing she knew, she was being whisked to the hospital with Daring looking as if she were going to faint.

The next few hours had passed in a bizarre haze, with dozens of ponies coming and going, all in a chaotic mess of confusion for her. She could feel that something was wrong, but whenever she asked, she’d either get a quick, uneasy glance, or she would be taken away to the vending machine to have a candy with a nice pony named Tree Flower. Of course, the illusion couldn’t be held up for long, and one pony slipped up, managing, in a mere four words to completely shatter Scootaloo’s world: “Scootaloo, you’re parents are dead.”

Scootaloo couldn’t even remember if she cried then or not, but she knew that she denied it for a good three days, until the funeral and she watched the casket lower into the cold ground.

Scootaloo blinked. Her vision was now obscured by her tears. She quickly wiped them away.

Mom wouldn’t want you to cry. She never liked to anypony cry.

The faint sound of a doorbell caused her ears to prick. Sniffing, she at first tried to block out the sound with a pillow, but no such luck. The doorbell was now a long stream of sharp dings and pings, as if someone were forcefully slamming the button over and over again. A quick glance at the clock on the nightstand told Scootaloo it was around eleven o’clock.

What pony would be at Auntie’s door now? she thought, as she slowly crawled out of bed, quietly making her way out of the room, being sure to walk as quietly as possible. She stopped in front of the room where Comet Tail usually slept. She knocked gently.

“Comet, I think somepony’s at the door,” she whispered sharply, only to be greeted by a sleepy groan and some muttering.

“No of course you can pay me with kisses Rarity...I love you and your robots...”

Scootaloo felt herself nearly throw up at that. Eww... she thought, backing away from the room of the sleeping unicorn and instead quietly making her way down the stairs. The doorbell continued to ring, with Scootaloo stopping by the fireplace to grab a fire poker—better safe than sorry—and then another stop in the kitchen to quietly pull out the small step stool she frequently used to reach the higher shelves.

She finally reached the foyer, swallowing as she carefully opened the step stool and climbed up, standing on her hind legs as she peeked through the peephole to see who was ringing the doorbell. Her eyes widened in surprise when she caught sight of the bright rainbow colored mane of the mare standing outside.

“Rainbow!” she shouted, dropping the fire poker, bounding down off the stepstool and hurriedly unlocking the door. And there was Rainbow Dash, still pounding on the doorbell. On her back was slung Aunt Daring of all ponies, who seemed to be asleep.

“It’s you!” Scootaloo beamed, jumping up to pull Rainbow into a tight hug. “How’d you escape?” she asked, as Rainbow set her back down.

“I didn’t escape. Your aunt, she came back to take me back here,” Rainbow replied. “And I guess you could say we got a little sidetracked.”

“Sidetracked? How? And why is she on your back like that?” Scootaloo asked, stepping aside to allow Rainbow to trot inside, obviously putting effort into carrying the other mare on her back. Scootaloo quickly closed and locked the door behind them, and followed close behind.

“Which way to a place where I can put your aunt down?” Rainbow asked, obviously wanting to get the weight off her back. Scootaloo quickly lead her to the large couch in the living room by the fireplace, where, with an audible sigh of relief, Rainbow flopped Daring down. On impact with the couch, Daring let out a garbled mutter, simply rolling over and curling up slightly.

“So what happened to Aunt Daring? Is she okay?” Scootaloo asked, growing concerned for her apparently unconscious aunt. Rainbow simply smiled.

“Oh, we got into a bit of a competition. She made her ancestors proud.” Rainbow smiled but it was a strange, sad kind of smile. “So I brought her back here. Least I could do for letting me stay...”

Scootaloo felt as if a firework had gone off inside of her at that. Rainbow’s going to stay!? She beamed. “She really let you stay?!” she asked, smiling as Rainbow nodded.

“Yes. But I must first tell you something.” Rainbow then dropped down to Scootaloo’s eye level. “I’m very sorry for how I treated you all lately. If I had known what had happened with your parents, I probably would have acted differently.”

Scootaloo hesitated. “She told you all that?”

Rainbow nodded, before unexpectedly pulling Scootaloo in for a hug. “But don’t worry, I promised I’d take care of you.”

Scootaloo pushed back to look Rainbow in the face. “I don’t want you to take care of me. Every pony does that these days. I just want you to be my friend.”

Rainbow put a hoof on her shoulder. “Friends take care of each other, Scootaloo. Of the very little I know, that I know for certain. You are my friend and I will take care of you, and you me.”

Scootaloo felt a warm, bubbling wave burst from her heart and this time she threw her arms around Rainbow Dash and hugged her as tightly as she could. Rainbow wasn’t a parent or a guardian, she was a friend and that meant Scootaloo could be one too.

Author's Note:

Chapter title from the song "On the Turning Away" by Pink Floyd

ALL DA SAPPY FEELS.

Also, sorry for the delay, it's been a busy week.

And there we go. End of Act Two.

Also, we finally get an idea of what happened to Scootaloo's parents. Aren't I just wonderful?

And damn that was a lot of character development in this chapter. But, it's nice to have a break...since next chapter is going to be rather...Trixie centric.