• Published 9th Dec 2012
  • 1,549 Views, 75 Comments

The Great Changeling Shipping Experiment - Dusky Flower



The MPVRD has come to Ponyville! It stands for Magic-Powered Virtual Reality Device!

  • ...
5
 75
 1,549

Chrysalis: Logging In

Chrysalis, contrary to popular belief, was not hiding out in some dank cave, nor infiltrating Canterlot in another foolish attempt to gain power. She was greedy and occasionally power-drunk, not stupid. They sometimes amounted to the same thing, but if ponies had also learned to harness the power of love she wasn't going to go try to take them over again.

No, Chrysalis was not in a cave, sewer, back alley, brothel, or whatever all those paranoid ponies were constantly insisting. She was in a comfortably middle-class apartment reserved in the name Crystalline Chroma, who happened to be the CEO of Crystal Chaos Studios. Her right-hand mare was a mare named Screwball, who used to be called a Discord worshipper. Whatever she was, half-changeling or half-dragon or full-blooded crazy mare, she was excellent at adding the randomity necessary for a game to keep its audience. And, yes, they had created two real games. They were both excellent profit and a source of fans, which while did not give a huge amount of love gave enough to keep her alive. But Chrysalis was not reformed, not by any means. And if she could gain more power and achieve her goals, why, that would just be an added bonus.

The changeling queen flipped her mane out of her eyes, and pushed on a pair of white-and-green goggles. With a swirl, a white bodysuit patterned with emeralds of varying shades of green fitted itself onto her pony form,


The unicorn mare seemed quite ordinary, if attractive, with a white coat and a shimmery clean purple mane. Her cutie mark was a prism with light coming in on one end and a rainbow shining out on the other.

Not bad, "Crystalline" thought. Now I just need a plausible excuse to be in my own game...

----------

"Wow! It's Crystalline! She must have put herself in as a bonus! Or maybe she's actually here! Squee!" A mare, probably teen-aged, had decided to squee over Chrysalis.

Oh, just leave me alone. You're nothing but a pathetic little pony fanfilly, she growled inwardly. Outwardly, she said, "Well, I do need to check up on these things, sweetheart." Ugh. Just pretending to like them... she keeps me alive, she keeps me alive...

"Ms. Chroma, can I have an autograph? I loved Fall of the Crystal Empire! And Knights of Chaos was really awesome too!"

Oh, she can talk without squeeing. Trying desperately to keep the venom out of her voice, she replied, "Alright. Here you go." An autograph signed "To my biggest fan. -Crystalline," appeared out of thin air. She had used the same signature she always did- it's not like they really were special.

"Squeeeeeeee!"

Ugh.

----------

I wish they'd stay away from me... maybe I should reconsider this plan. Or at least have a viable plan B this time.

With a sigh, the disguised changeling queen trotted over to a park bench to meet her AI assistant, who was also her portal to the outside world.

Of course her portal, Data Web, was already set up and ready to go.

"Hello, Mistress!" chirped a cheery voice from a green mare with a darker emerald green mane.

"Ah, Data Web. Ready to venture the wide, wide world of VRquestria?" She cringed inwardly, wondering how she'd manage to keep the facade up for the week or two she planned on being in the virtual Ponyville.

"Always ready, Mistress!"

Together they seemed an eccentric developer/CEO and a joking assistant. How easily appearances can deceive... How do all those ponies deal with not being changelings?