• Published 28th Nov 2012
  • 3,675 Views, 73 Comments

Wub Me - FlutterDash777



Octavia discovers the meaning behind her new found inspiration.

  • ...
5
 73
 3,675

No Strings Attached

-No Strings Attached

A pony like no other. A musician with such grace, and talent. A heart that beats for music.

Octavia was invited to perform for the royal Canterlot Gardens party. All the prestigious ponies of Equestria would be there. This was nothing new to Octavia though. She had always been a part of all of the royal parties that Princess Celestia held. She was quite fond of the princess. She always threw the most elegant balls, dances, and other wonderful festivities. She also seemed to have a tasteful appreciation for music. She always requested the most talented of ponies to play at her gatherings.

Most of the musicians that Octavia got to perform with were ponies that she always admired. It was an honor to play with such talented players, but she kept this to herself, for she wanted to seem as glamorous, and graceful as them.

Octavia had arrived at the gardens party, and was setting up her most prized possession. She stood on the stage at her designated position. She picked up her bow, and tightened her strings. She tuned up her cello, and softly pulled her bow against the strings, trying to get a preview of how tuned it already was. She knew that it was probably in tune already, for she had just played a few hours before arrival. Practicing to make sure she was ready to show how wonderful she was in front of, Celestia knows, who.

Nopony was around, except for a few that were preparing decorations, and setting up tables for the deserts, and delicious foods.

She realized she was a tad bit early, but that was alright with her. She always was. She liked to be the first musician to arrive. It made her seem as if she was very serious about her career, and she was, but lately she had been a little off. She didn't seem to have her magical touch anymore. She played beautifully, and everypony seemed to be impressed with her, but she wasn't feeling it. She wasn't feeling the intensity that she used to feel when she played.

Maybe she was having a downfall. Maybe all the music in her was starting to run out, and soon she wouldn't love to play anymore!

No, there was no way that would happen. She loved to play, she always had. But she knew something was different about herself lately. Something that she couldn't quite put her hoof on. The gray earth pony started to play her instrument.

The lovely sound echoed throughout the gardens. Everypony that was making preparations, stopped to listen and enjoy the notes that Octavia created. The tune was beautiful, and it sounded perfect, but all Octavia could do was sigh.

'I'm losing it, aren't I?' Octavia closed her eyes, trying to get into the feel of her short presentation, but she just couldn't. Nothing worked. She tried every trick she had. Swaying to the beat, tapping her hoof, moving her head from side to side softly, but everything she tried didn't work. She felt as if she was out of tune, off beat, and completely ruining herself. Even though her music was wonderful, she felt as if everything was going wrong.

She just couldn't feel any love for it anymore. No inspiration. No motivation whatsoever. Octavia was ready to give up, and just play the way she was now, even if she felt nothing. All she could do was get over it and play.

The party was ready to begin. Everything was set, and prepared. The decorations were gorgeous, and the food looked great. All the other musicians had already joined Octavia on stage. They were all tuning their violins, violas, clarinets, and other instruments. Octavia was the cellist. She always was. Celestia seemed to only invite one cellist, and that would always be Octavia. She didn't mind this though. She actually enjoyed being the star. She shined brighter than most of the others, and that was perfectly fine.

The musicians tonight were ponies that Octavia had not recognized. Unknown artists, like she used to be. Everypony has to start somewhere if they want to be successful though of course.

It was almost time for the party to commence. Everypony on stage had their instruments in playing position, and majestically held their ready pose. The conductor stallion lifted his baton at the ready. As he was about to swipe down, instructing Octavia to start off, a loud dragging noise screeched through their musical ears.

Everypony turned to the back of the stage. Somepony was pushing a large DJ mixer behind the orchestra. The ponies all looked in confusion, and disgust.

The blue maned, unicorn finally reached exactly in the center of the stage. She showed a toothy smile, and lowered her shades slightly down, but only low enough to catch the smallest glimpse of her eyelashes.

"What'sup everypony?! Sorry I'm a little late, but I'm sure that's cool." The white mare chuckled to herself, as she turned on her mixer.

All of the elegant, proper ponies looked at the edgy pony with evil glances. What was this pony doing at a royal party? The conductor opened his mouth, getting ready to speak, but before his words could reach his lips, Princess Celestia glided over.

"Well, I see that all the designated musicians are all set. It seems that everypony made it tonight. Thank you all for being able to come. I expect all of you to do your very best, and enjoy yourselves."

With that Princess Celestia was off to make last minute preparations.

All the musical ponies glanced back at the DJ, but then turned back to the conductor. If Princess Celestia invited her, then she must be an excellent performer! That's what everypony was thinking, except for Octavia. She was very suspicious of this rough looking mare, and she wasn't going to keep her eyes off of her for one second.

The party was about to begin. The conductor looked over at Octavia. He lifted his baton, and let it drop. Octavia began.

She drew her bow beautifully across her strings. Making vibratos at every necessary note. Her beginning solo was magnificent. Everypony was in awe by the art she was painting with each stroke. As her last note ended with a long pull, all the other ponies began to play. The violinists began their part, followed by the rest of the instruments.

It was peaceful, and lovely. Suddenly a beat was starting to sound. It continued to crescendo, until it was at its maximum volume. It was so intense it made Octavia's heart leap. The tempo of the orchestra started to speed up rapidly. Everypony was trying to keep up with each other. The conductor was horrified by the display. Even he couldn't keep up the massive increase in the music.

The DJ started to scratch her records at full speed. The sound vibrated throughout all of Canterlot. The orchestra ponies were devastated at what the unicorn was doing. She was ruining everything!

But as they looked at their audience, they were shocked. Everypony below the stage seemed to be enjoying it! Even Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna. All of the distinguished ponies of Canterlot were partying hard to the DJ's mixes, as if they were at some sort of club.

The musicians looked upon the princess. She was smiling and having a good time! They all faced each other, and looked to the conductor. He shrugged his shoulders and waved his baton once again, this time to the beat of the DJ pony. The orchestra set off again in their music. The collaboration between the DJ's loud beats, and the orchestra's beautiful strings seemed to make the audience all the more excited.

The DJ unicorn looked down at her fellow musicians, who seemed to have just went along with her. She smiled at this, pleased with the results. She nodded her head to the beat, and pumped her hoof into the air. Some of the Canterlot ponies below did as she did, and hoof pumped too.

Octavia had still not joined in with the other ponies. She was completely shocked.

'How are these Canterlot ponies acting this way? Even Princess Celestia seems to love it! It's so loud, and noisy. Since when does royal parties consist of club music?'

Octavia slightly turned around so she could see the DJ. Her purple tinted shades were covering most of her face, so she couldn't tell too much about her, other than her mane was blue, and very edgy, and her cutie mark was that of an eighth note. The DJ turned her head in the direction of Octavia, seeing that she was being watched. Octavia immediately turned back around. She had been caught staring, how rude of her.

Her cheeks flustered, and she began to mimic as if to be playing her cello. Although she was caught in the act, she still wanted to turn back around towards the shaded unicorn. She wanted to get a closer look at who this mare really was. Even though she wanted to, she decided to just play her instrument instead. It was less risky, if anything.

The orchestra was taking a break from playing, and began to mingle within the crowd of ponies. Octavia had seated herself near the back of the gardens. She had her cello with her, and was slowly running her hoof across each string. She sighed every time a sound would come out. She leaned her instrument against the stage, and sat back down again. She straightened her bow tie, and ate the last bite of cake she had left from the desert table.

'What is wrong with me lately? I'm losing my touch. I don't stand out anymore, at least I don't feel as if I do.' Octavia rested her chin on her hoof. She kicked at the ground a little, and noticed she snapped a flower's stem in the process. She leaned down, and picked it up.

It was a soft pink, and it smelled divine. It had a single leaf on it, and it had five delicate petals. Octavia ran her hoof along the flower, and rested it in her lap.

She felt a tap on her back, and she swiftly turned around to see what it could have been. There was the blue maned unicorn standing above her. Octavia quickly stood up and faced the DJ.

"Hey there! I noticed you were over here alone, and I just wanted to tell you that you play that thing awesomely!" The mare said while pointing her hoof at Octavia's cello. She was smiling widely.

Octavia wasn't sure what to say. How does one speak to a pony like this?

"Um, well thank you. I do appreciate it." Octavia glared at the white unicorn. She tried to fake a smile, but it wasn't too convincing. The unicorn seemed to notice that Octavia's behavior was strange.

"Are you alright there?" The unicorns eyebrows shifted in confusion, and she shuffled her hooves in a different position as if she couldn't stand to be still for too long.

Octavia searched her mind for a response.

'What should I say?' Octavia uncomfortably stepped back slightly.

"I'm perfectly fine." Did that sound like a lie? Octavia wasn't sure, but she was pleased when the unicorn seemed to believe it.

"Well that's great! The names Vinyl Scratch by the way! Just in case you were dying to know."

Octavia could slightly see that the unicorn, Vinyl Scratch had winked at her from under her shades. This caused Octavia to fluster again.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Vinyl Scratch. My name is Octavia." Octavia slightly lifted her head, giving her the appearance of an elite earth pony. Her mane flowed down gracefully, and her purple eyes shimmered.

Vinyl grinned at this. Octavia felt as if she was being insulted by this rough looking pony, and she rose her head even higher as if she were superior. Vinyl started to laugh now. Octavia looked at her with shock.

"I-I'm sorry! I couldn't help myself! It just seems as if you're being forced to act snooty!" The unicorn burst into laughter. She almost fell over. Octavia couldn't believe this. Was she making fun of her? How dare she!

"Excuse me? At least I don't look like I'm on drugs." Octavia turned her head slightly, but her eyes pierced through Vinyl's shades. Vinyl stopped her laughing, and raised her eyebrow. Her mouth was smirking now.

"Oh yeah? Is that what I look like to you? Makes sense coming from a high class pony like yourself." Octavia sensed the sarcasm from Vinyl.

"And what are you implying by that, may I ask?" Octavia was starting to get fed up with this smart toned pony. Who did she think she was?

"Maybe I'm implying nothing, only that you're some stuck up royal highness that has no taste in music." Vinyl was starting to amuse herself. Her smirk got bigger and bigger.

Octavia was taken aback by this. No taste? No taste? This pony has seriously crossed the line!

"You my dear are the one who has no taste in music. What you think sounds good, is a horrifying, itching sound that will not cease to ring through my ears. I think it's best for you to be on your way now." Octavia was starting to get seriously irritated with this unicorn. She was about to tackle her, and beat her to a pulp, but she was too sophisticated for such nonsense.

To Octavia's surprise the white unicorn started to laugh again. What in Equestria?

"You're too cool, Tavvy!"

'Tavvy? How dare she call me, Tavvy!'

Octavia lifted one hoof as if she were afraid for the DJ to touch her. Vinyl was still laughing, she tried to calm herself. Then she finally gained her sanity.

"Let's try this again! My name is Vinyl Scratch! Nice to meet ya!" Vinyl threw her hoof out in front of Octavia. She looked at it as if she were inspecting it.

The unicorn was smiling, she seemed as if she had changed completely in less than a minute. Octavia glanced once more at the mare, and slightly a smile appeared upon her face as well.

She lifted her hoof, and placed it on Vinyl's outreached hoof. They shook hooves.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Vinyl Scratch. My name is Octavia."