• Published 25th Nov 2012
  • 882 Views, 2 Comments

Killing Me Softly With Her Wubs - Dashofrainbow235



Octavia gets two golden tickets to see the Royal Canterlot Symphony.

  • ...
 2
 882

Chapter 4

Killing Me Softly With Her Wubs

Chapter 4

Vinyl Scratch had another gig at one of Pinkie Pie's legendary parties. Today, it was for Applejack's birthday. Applejack was literally having the time of her life at the party.

"Yeehaw! You really do know how to throw a party!" Applejack cheered.
Everyone was there including Octavia, who took the time out of practicing her cello, went to party. Although, Rainbow Dash realized that Gilda the Griffon was the only one not there. She had eventually made up with the ponies and they had become friends so she was invited to the party. "You put WHAT in these cupcakes!" Rainbow Dash screamed at Pinkie Pie. Pinkie Pie smiled and shrugged her shoulders. Rainbow Dash suddenly felt the urge to throw up her cake. She clutched her stomach. "I'm not feeling right, Pinkie."

"I'll take you into the basement to fix you right up!" Pinkie Pie gleefully proposed. Rainbow Dash gulped and then followed her downstairs.

Anyways, now that the party was over, Vinyl Scratch and Octavia were walking back home after a long morning of partying at Sugarcube Corner. They both agreed that Pinkie Pie really knew how to throw awesome parties for any sort of special occasion. "Alright, let's get practicing!" Octavia declared, hold her hoof up.

On Vinyl Scratch's iPod Touch, she put on a song she mixed herself and recorded. She called it Vinyl Beatz. Instead of practicing her cello, she danced with Vinyl to the song first. Vinyl had finally gotten her to loosen up a bit. Being the best friend Octavia could be was her top priority now. Even if she didn't make it into the Royal Canterlot Symphony, she would still have Vinyl.

The two fillies jumped up and down around the house and waved their forelegs from side to side. Then they turned opposite each other and ran across the room in a semi-circle until they met up again. The next song was called Ready to Die by Andrew WK. Vinyl grabbed Octavia's hoof. "Spin it, man!" She held Octavia's hoof as she spun around in circles.

Vinyl and Octavia then began to air guitar and lip synch to the song. Vinyl ran and jumped into Octavia's hooves. Octavia then took her cello and began playing along with the song. Then she put it down and next they tapped their hind legs on the floor. Soon, they fell on their backs on the carpeting and panted heavily.

"Man, that was fun!" Vinyl exclaimed while breathing heavily.

"I concur." Octavia agreed, nodding.

"We should probably get to work now, though." Vinyl suggested. Both she and Octavia jumped back on their feet. They headed over to the cello and music stand in the corner of the room.

"Now, I've decided I'm going to play an old Equestrian medley called Friendship, Fear, and the Moon on my cello for the audition." Octavia explained. Vinyl nodded.

"Okay, I'll count you off." Vinyl proposed. Octavia got in a playing position. "One and two and three and four!" Just because Vinyl was a DJ didn't mean she could read music really well. She had to learn how to play a drum set for a little while, but she wasn't all that good at it. So Vinyl was able to read the rhythm correct for the most part, but she just didn't know note names.

So according to Vinyl, Octavia had played it perfectly and precise from what she could hear. Octavia didn't agree with her. Although her rhythm was mostly perfect, she had played some notes wrong and hesitated going into some of the entrances to another musical phrase. She thought she was way out of tune as well and that her tone and interpretation were all wrong.

Vinyl rolled her eyes, "You're never going to feel confident about yourself if you criticize every little thing you did wrong." Vinyl Scratch reasoned.

"Oh what do you know? You're just a DJ!" Octavia said rudely. Vinyl glared at her with narrowed eyes and scoffed.

"Hey! I know enough!" Vinyl contended.

Octavia sighed. Then she apologized, "I'm sorry. It's just that the stress of the audition is starting to overwhelm me."

Vinyl stood up and spoke boldly, "Octavia, I know you can make it into that dumb symphony. If you believe in yourself, they will have to pick you for sure! And if you keep practicing, you can get better and better as you do it!"

"Thank you. Where would I be without you?" Octavia questioned.

Vinyl grinned, "I'm a sensation, I know. Okay, once more from the top!"

Meanwhile, Colsart was practicing for his audition as well in his private study. He was playing an old Equestrian hymn tune called Ponies in Peace written by Princess Celestia herself. He arranged the part for piano himself. Every time he went through it, he made a small change by adding or crossing something out which made it sound better every time. Now he felt that it was perfect.

Today was Thursday, and Colsart was going to have his date with Octavia at six. He was going to be thoroughly practicing every part up until that time. He couldn't wait. It was 3:00 now, so he had about three hours left. That should be enough time to practice for the audition.

Two and a half hours later, Octavia stopped practicing so that she could get ready for her date. She showered and then went to her room. Vinyl sat on the bed and watched Octavia dig through her closet looking frantically for the right outfit to wear. It amused her so. Vinyl used her magic to find a purple dress on the floor with ribbons and emeralds embedded into it.

"How about that one?" Vinyl suggested.

Octavia looked at it for a second and then shook her head, "This old thing? You're being ridiculous!" Octavia commented.

"Am I? I'm just trying to help you out." Vinyl shrugged.

Octavia settled on a yellow dress with glass slippers and she replaced her pink bow with a yellow one. Then she wrapped a scarf around her neck. The doorbell rang. Vinyl sat up. "Who in the hay could that be?"

"Oh! It's probably Colsart right now! How do I look?" Octavia asked her friend.

Vinyl looked her up and down, "Like a walking banana."

Octavia smiled, "That's the plan." She joked. She pushed a strand of hair behind her ear and hurried downstairs to open the door for her date. When she opened the door, she was expecting it to be Colsart, but it was Rainbow Dash. "Rainbow Dash? What are you doing here?"

"I came here to hang out with Vinyl." Rainbow Dash clarified.

"Are you feeling alright?" Octavia necessitated.

Rainbow Dash tilted her head in confusion. "What? Oh yeah! Pinkie Pie fixed me right up! You see, what had happened was—oh hey Vinyl!" Rainbow Dash greeted.

"Wassap bruh." Vinyl greeted. As per usual, she bro-hoofed Rainbow Dash.

Then there was another knock on the door. Octavia opened it, and this time Colsart was here. "Sorry I'm late; I just wanted to do some last minute practicing for the audition."

Octavia smiled, "You're fine. I would've done the same. Shall we go?"

"Yeah, let's." Colsart obliged. They left the house and went to a fancy restaurant for their date.

At the restaurant, they took their seats and looked at the menu. After looking at it for a minute, they knew what to order. Then the waiter came to them.

"Um, I'll just have some lasagna and a breadstick... And also a cup of water." Octavia said. The waiter wrote down her exact order.

"Uh, how about some caviar, carrot soup and a piece of the Sweet Apple Acres' Apple Pie?" Colsart ordered, except in French. The waiter understood him and wrote down exactly what he wanted then left. Octavia was amazed.

"I didn't know you could speak in fancy—err, in French. Sorry, I've been hanging around Applejack a lot today." Octavia said.

"Didn't I tell you already? Hmm, well, I started learning it a few weeks before the Grand Galloping Gala." Colsart explained.

"Interesting. Well anyways, I was thinking," Octavia began, "what if we were to become more than just friends?"

Colsart's eyes widened at her sudden move, "Um, like a couple again?"

"No, I meant like best friends. You know, friends with benefits, but not as much as a couple. I still haven't completely forgiven you for what you did." Octavia said.

"Yeah, I figured." Colsart said.

*flashback*

What Colsart did that made Octavia break up with her was actually just breaking her cello. One day, when Octavia and he were practicing their instruments together, before Vinyl had moved in, Octavia told him to watch her cello while she went upstairs to get her metronome.

"Consider it done!" Colsart replied.

He sat at his piano, minding his own business when a parasprite flew in through the open window right by him. His initial reaction was to grab something to kill it with and that's what he did. Colsart grabbed the thing nearest to him which was Octavia's cello. He swung it around but kept missing. When the parasprite landed on the floor, Colsart smashed the cello on the floor right on top of the bug. The parasprite was dead now. And surprisingly, the cello was still in one piece.

Colsart stood the cello up and then had a sigh of relief. He wiped away a sweat drop from his brow and accidentally knocked over the cello. This time, when it impacted the ground, it broke into a million pieces. Colsart panicked. He could hear Octavia's voice. "Is everything okay down there? I was just going to tell again how I always had this school filly crush on you and there's probably nothing that can change my opinion on you--" Octavia made it downstairs and saw Colsart's guilty expression and her broken cello on the floor. Octavia's face grew redder than it ever had before. "YOU! How dare you! Do you realize how much money I spent on that cello? A lot! It had the best sound ever and you ruined it!" Octavia screamed at the top of her lungs. She threw her metronome at his face.Colsart tried to calm her down.

"I'm sorry, Octavia! Listen, if you want, I'll cover it for you—"

"I want you to get out of my life! Forever! LEAVE!" Octavia continued her rant for five more minutes. Colsart finally took a hint and left.

Colsart bought her a new cello after that and it was actually better than her old one. It was the cello she was using now. It cost him a fortune. When Octavia received it, she almost forgot about her old one. But there were a lot of memories with that cello. So Octavia still never forgave him.

*end flashback*

"Now that think of it, I think now might be the time… To forgive you." Octavia supposed.

"Really?"

"Indeed. You went the extra trouble to buy me a new cello that was better than my old one. I was just too stubborn, headstrong, and angry to forgive you then."

"Thank you, Octavia." Colsart acknowledged.

"Yes, but I still believe that it would be best if we just remained best friends and nothing more." Octavia thought.

"Agreed."