• Published 20th Nov 2012
  • 788 Views, 5 Comments

Space Gems - EquestriaBound



Ponyville completely changes after Rarity's new fashion line, and the crusaders must save the day.

  • ...
 5
 788

Chapter 1x - Spike's Lullaby

Night came, and most of the ponies in Ponyville were already asleep. Two exceptions were Twilight Sparkle and her number one assistant, who were busy completing their targets on the checklists. The whole day, they were busy with their reports to the princess, making reports about their reports to the princess, making schedules, making reschedules on the schedules, making schedules in order to reschedule, making reschedules on the schedules for rescheduling, making a checklist for tomorrow, making a checklist for things needed for the checklist the day after tomorrow, and the list goes on. Eventually, they managed to complete and triple check everything on their checklist, and the two were tuckered out. Spike went to bed earlier than Twilight, who was still busy cleaning up the mess in the library. As she neatly stacked some of the papers, she noticed the pouch full of gems that Rarity gave her. She really wanted to closely study the rocks, but today’s tasks prevented her from doing so, and now she was too tired. She finished up her cleaning duty, and made her way to bed, hoping she could make some time tomorrow in her schedules to take a closer look at the jewels. It was still storming when the two were sleeping. Their peaceful rest was soon disturbed by nearby thunder.

*KRAKOOM*

The noise woke up the sleeping duo.

“Whoa… That was a bit too loud for comfort,” Twilight said, her voice not fully awake itself yet.

“Tell me about it. Not even Rainbow Dash could kick a cloud hard enough to produce a louder thunder,” Spike added.

“Are you going to be okay?”

“That may have startled me, but I’m not afraid of a thunderstorm. Never was, never will be. I’m going to be just fine.”

Twilight giggled as Spike boasted about his fearlessness.

“What? What is it?”

“It’s just that, hearing you talk about how you were never afraid of thunderstorms. It’s just kind of funny, you know?”

“W-what are you talking about?”

“Well, there actually was a time when you were very afraid of them.”

“No, there wasn’t!” Spike sounded pretty confident about his earlier statement, yet a slight doubt inside him caused him to follow up with: “Was there?”

“I’m not surprised you can’t remember. You were only a few months old. One night, it was storming just as heavy as it is now. It took me hours to get you to sleep, when a loud thunder woke you up and made you cry. You then held on tight me and wouldn’t let me go, because you didn’t want to be alone.”

“S-seriously?”

“Yeah, I had to sing you a lullaby, just to calm you down again.”

“You mean something like the Hush Now Lullaby?”

“No, that stopped working when I got to the diva part. Now that I think about it, most of Equestria’s lullabies didn’t seem to calm you. I had to make my own song to get you to sleep.”

“Wait, you made a lullaby for me?” Spike was curious, yet slightly cautious. “Do you still know how it goes?”

It took Twilight little time to recall the lyrics. She then got into proper position, cleared her throat, and put on the most soothing singing voice she could muster.

♪ My little dragon, dry your tears ♪
♫ There is no need for you to cry ♫
♪ As long as you have me, you have nothing to fear ♪
♫ Just listen to me as I tell you why ♫

♪ The frightful things you’re hearing as you’re lying in your bed ♪
♫ Are really nothing more than just a sound ♫
♪ And all the other scary things that you may not get ♪
♫ Won’t hurt you as long as I’m around ♫

♪ So please go back to sleep, and dream without a care ♪
♫ I promise that you will see ♫
♪ That no matter what happens, I will always be there ♪
♫ To protect from any dangers there may be ♫
♪ As you’ll always be my little dragon to me ♪

After she was done singing, Twilight noticed how Spike was resettling himself comfortably inside his own bed. Listening to the song made him feel sleepy, yet content.

“Wow, I understand why I would fall asleep to this. That was amazing, Twilight.”

“Awww, thank you, Spike.”

Knowing that Spike still liked the song filled Twilight’s heart with joy. The unicorn also laid down, and soon, the duo were all set once again to return to dreamland. By that time, the storm had already ended.

“Say Twilight,” Spike requested, before falling asleep. “You won’t mention anything we talked about tonight to the other ponies, right?”

“It’ll be our little secret.”

“Do you promise?”

“Of course. After all, losing a friend’s trust is the quickest way to lose a friend.”

“Fooooooreverrrrrrrr…”

The soft whisper was just audible enough for the duo to widely open their eyes and sit up straight their beds again. Twilight turned on the lights, and both checked around the room to see if they could discover where exactly the sound came from, but couldn’t find a thing. After switching of the lights, the duo lay down and tried to fall asleep once more, but it was to no use. The thunder had stopped, but that whisper was going to keep them up for the rest of the night.