• Published 19th Nov 2012
  • 7,034 Views, 791 Comments

The Missionary - Radon18



Follow a man, surviving in equestria with nothing but his wits and his faith, oh and his own town.

  • ...
62
 791
 7,034

Chapter16.5: Research Ravings

Chapter 16.5

(Reminder that I own nothing!)

‘Thought’
“Dialogue”
“Words in a foreign language.”
“Quoting in thought”

Crystal Beaker

Professor of advanced magical sciences

Leader of the Everfree city expedition

January/01/003 Lluna Nova

Excerpts extracted from section titled: Notes on ‘hue man’ Language

In the March of 895 of Celestia’s reign, a series of books were written by a researcher by the name of Deep Thinker. These books were a collection of his research data covering the culture and language of Equestria’s native tribes of Diamond Dogs.

The alien language that my colleagues and I have been attempting to crack has many similarities to Diamond Dog script and actually appears to become more and more similar as we compare older and older sections of Diamond Dog writing. This means that, according to Quick Quill’s theory of language morphologie, the alien language is a potential precursor to the Diamond Dog written language.

The Everfree city could very well be an example of a lost civilization of equis, forgotten long before the rule of the Princesses, maybe even before the reign of Discord.

The language of the denizens of the Everfree city is unnaturally precise in virtually every example the expedition possesses. We hold mountains of written material that is far too clean to have been produced by even our most advanced printing presses. What rare written notes we do have show a large departure from the precise nature of the more common printed examples. Out of the notes we have discovered almost every style of writing is unique to the point where deciphering the letters has become quite the challenge.

Excerpt extracted from section titled: Everfree City

The strangest thing out of all the evidence we have gathered is that, up until mere months ago, the Everfree City was a living, breathing settlement. I need not explain what this could mean to the scientific and arcane communities but, if what these findings are pointing towards is true, then the Everfree City could be as close of a look at ancient Equis as Ponykind will ever see.

Excerpt extracted from section titled: Notes on ‘hue man’ Behavior

We've been studying the two last individuals that supposedly were members of the race that constructed all of this. I don't know if I believe that, surely a race as animalistic as the hue mans, as they call themselves, couldn't last long enough to achieve this kind of engineering mastery, one of them nearly mauled a nurse that was trying to help them today for goodness sakes. Still if it is true, if Celestia managed to recover a breeding pair of the species which created the Everfree city, the possibilities are not to be taken lightly.

***

Green Leaf

Professor of Botany

Member of the Everfree City Expedition

December/29/002 Lluna Nova

Excerpts extracted from field journal

12/29/002

We set out for the City today, it’s strange such a thing is even happening.

I can see the lights through the trees. Why did it light up today of all days? Do the residents know we are coming?

12/29/002

We made it to the entrance, it is almost totally dark. I'm glad the Royal Guard are with us, coming to this place would be crazy without them. The streets are lit up just like Manehattan or Canterlot. This whole place feels strange, not just the normal kind of strange either, its like I am walking through a painting of wax fruit and plants, everything seems almost unreal.

12/30/002

We were attacked last night by something. Or I guess lots of somethings. The first was some kind of giant monster that injured Celestia, I don't know how badly. There were lights all over it so bright you couldn't look right at it and it soaked up offensive magic like a sponge. Luna was able to finally kill it but the worst came after that.

The second attack almost felt like a retaliation by the city itself. Monsters emerged from the shadows like nothing I've ever seen before. Its like they were pulled from the earth itself, old bones made animate and sent to strike down those that threatened the city’s guardian. Strangely, a few moments after they appeared they vanished into seemingly nothing.

We've taken refuge in some massive grey structure. It’s as close to a fortress we could ask for and it seems safe enough.


12/31/002

I decided to try and get some work done today. Luna has gone to investigate the monsters from last night. I took some guards with me, there was no way I was going out into those streets all on my own.

12/31/002

I have found something unsettling about the Everfree City. The trees, when I examined them, were alive. This doesn't sound strange until I also mention that they happen to also be totally disconnected from the ley lines of Equis. They exist completely independently, like they are some kind of self contained world, but that’s not the creepiest thing. The reason I have found this place so unsettling is that all of the plants, every living thing, doesn't have a shred of magic in it.

NOT. A. SHRED.

No wonder this place doesn't feel real.

***

Stone Slate

Contractor under hire for the Everfree City expedition.

Expert in the fields of Construction and Architecture.

Excerpts extracted from field journal

12/30/002

Managed to get out on the streets today. Have to admit, the attack the other night has put all of us on edge. Those monsters, whatever they were, have totally vanished. Nopony has seen hide nor hair of them since.

I finally mustered up the guts to do my job and am I glad I did. You would not believe the engineering that has gone into these buildings. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing that they could stand up to Equestria’s most powerful storms without any damage at all. The structures are built with internal bracing that reinforce walls made of materials that are far stronger than anything I have seen before.

The weakest building material I’ve found so far has been the stuff they make some of their interior walls out of. It’s all white and powdery if you manage to break it (which I needed tools to do effectively) and almost all of the stuff you find is painted over. Thing is, it looks like they put this stuff on to hide the actual wood part of their walls, which are made of some unthinkably hard material. I can’t even imagine where they got it.

If these are the typical residential areas I’d probably drool over their military stuff.

12/31/002

Wow. Just wow. I examined the large tower across the street today. Its the second tallest structure in the whole city but its by far the strangest and most amazing. The entire thing swings on a set of stilt like structures, it is totally disconnected from the ground and allowed to shift back and forth. Did the ponies/creatures who once inhabited it need such an innovation? What in their environment necessitated a building that could sway like a sapling in the breeze? I look forward to discovering more of their building techniques, the quirks we’ve found in their architecture have been nothing if not fascinating.

12/31/002

Imagine my surprise when I strolled back into camp after work today to find two members of the City’s native inhabitants waiting for me. They are tall, hairless, and beady eyed. Judging from the photographs I collected scouring several buildings, they are young adults but that’s just a guess from an untrained eye. Sadly I couldn't get very close to them, apparently one of them is suffering from several injuries while the other is incredibly dehydrated. I hope they’re going to be alright.

***

Silver Ink

Professor of Nonpony Culture

Member of the Everfree City Expedition

January 1, 003 Lluna Nova

Excerpt from personal notes, first draft of official report

I stumbled upon something quite interesting today, a dwelling absolutely brimming with examples of hue man art. Well, more than any of the others, anyway. This particular building contained a bedroom filled with sculptures, paintings, posters, and almost anything else one could think of.

The subject material was surprisingly varied. Several pieces included species common to Equestria and its neighbors, such as gryphons and dragons, while others strayed wildly into what I can only bear to think of as a hue man’s definition of fiction.

The most common pieces of art were small sculptures, approximately the size of an average pony’s hoof. I was unable to identify the material used to construct the majority of them, although I did find several carved or molded from a material similar to pewter. Many of these sculptures were painted in vibrant colors, ranging from greens to purples to reds and every other color you’ve ever seen on a knight from any of the old legends.

Subject matter was almost as varied as the color palette. I did not take time to be absolutely sure, but I would estimate that at least two thirds of the sculptures depicted hue mans in some form of combat dress or another. Perhaps a quarter of these bore regalia similar to that of the Solar Guard, weighted down with plate and chain mail with flowing capes, although they did disembark from the stereotype of the typical Equestrian soldier in that they their equipment was universally bulky. Their armor would almost double the girth of the hue man Chris were they to scale, and each of them holds a weapon so large that I am sure the floors of Canterlot Castle would not support their weight should they be fully rendered in iron or steel.

Perhaps half of the hue man sculptures depicted the species in fashions I truly hope to be fictitious. They mimicked their knightly counterparts in sheer volume of armor, but I believe this garb to be of an entirely different nature in its construction. After studying the impeccable detail of each sculpture, I believe that these pieces depict hue mans in forms of armor that are self supporting, or possibly even augmentative of the wearer’s natural strength. I have not come to this conclusion lightly, for I realize how absolutely ridiculous it must sound, but I will attempt to defend my assertion here.

Of those pieces that featured an opened or absent helmet (there were few, perhaps seven or eight in the entire collection), it was apparent on each that there was a gap between the wearer’s chest and breastplate large enough that it would be impossible for the shoulders to properly balance the weight of the suit. The center of gravity would be shifted so far forward that not even a Diamond Dog (who appear to be much more advanced than hue mans in terms of musculature) would be able to remain upright.

Additionally, exactly four individual pieces showed severe anatomical anomalies in their rendition of their subject’s armor, namely in the arms. Each of these depicted an individual in which the wrist began where the hand of a normal hue man would be located. Initially believing these to be errors on the part of the artist, I examined the detailing closer and found each set of hands to be entirely mechanical. I believe that these extended forearms would be used to stabilize the over-sized weapon held by each of these individuals. The possibility that this race developed equipment so powerful that they must augment themselves in such a way is troubling.

Finally, I must bring attention to those pieces that demonstrated the use of prosthetics, which would make up the remainder of the hopefully-fictitious pieces. Every single artificial limb on these figures should be patently impossible. Entire lower bodies are constructed out of what appears to be iron or steel and clearly display pneumatic or hydraulic functionality. Many figurines display arms that are constructed in a similar fashion; these would, without fail, cause their wearer to topple over from the sheer weight of the extremity if they were left unsupported.

Due to the mandatory brevity imposed by Crystal Beaker, the full scope of my findings cannot be communicated in a single field report. I will content myself to say that I am very happy that we have not yet found a trace of technology of this nature anywhere within the Everfree City. I find the implications of defensive systems of this scale and complexity almost terrifying, especially when combined with the possible offensive capabilities I may have found evidence of, which I will detail in my next report.

It is my truest hope that my fears come to naught and that I am in fact observing the products of an overzealous collector of thematic artwork. I plan on questioning the hue man, Chris, about my findings later if Crystal Beaker deems my concerns pressing enough to warrant disturbing his recovery.

***

Dr. Bandaid M.D.

Medical consultant

Member of the Everfree City Expedition

January 1, 003 Lluna Nova

Examination and treatment of species, self identified as ‘hue man.’ Full field report.

I didn't quite know what to think when our Princesses and the Elements of Harmony dragged in these two beat up monkeys for me to look at. One of them was apparently the cause of her majesty's own wounds, although I sincerely doubt it.

The hardest part about treating the both of them is that I have no magic with which to do it. No magic, period, by mandate of Celestia herself. Long story short, magic kills them. Or at least causes them extreme discomfort (I'm not sure which, Twilight Sparkle was vague on the details). I began with a quick examination, the male went first due to his obvious wounds. I thought they wouldn't be too serious since he came in under his own power but some of the lacerations were quite deep; it’s a wonder he managed to walk at all, not to mention the plethora of contusions, abrasions and even some light internal bleeding. I’m surprised he was conscious.

Commander Spitfire also handed me a completed blood test from the male and asked me to take a look. What I found was surprising. At the time of the test the male creature showed a very large concentration of caffeine in his system. How much caffeine? Over four times the legal limit and close to the lethal amount for anypony under 70 kilofeathers. Which is pretty much everypony. I asked him how he was feeling and inquired as to some of the symptoms associated with caffeine poisoning, but he responded that he was fine and that he was “feeling better.” That should not have been his answer.

I turned my attention to the female at the male’s insistence, he asked me to pay special attention to her throat. I was uncomfortable leaving him at this point but did eventually relent. Good thing I did. When I finally examined the female it didn't take me long to discover she was suffering from advanced dehydration (despite her looking fine from the outside). We quickly set up an IV drip for a basic hydration solution. It was a little bit of a risk due to our tenuous grasp on their blood chemistry at this point, but it was that or let her shrivel up like a dry sponge. She didn't like needles much and displayed this fact very clearly when she gave my nurse a black eye and some scratches across the face of a hapless guard who happened to be just a bit too close.

The male calmed her down and we finally got the drip in. It took constant surveillance and finally a scolding from the male to keep her from pulling the needle out. She relaxed after a few hours and became much more pleasant after that. Her irritability was likely a side effect of the dehydration.

With their immediate medical needs seen to, it was time to sate a bit of our own curiosity. The basic examination was simple and allowed us to confirm that their blood chemistry was almost identical to a pony’s as well as having a similar bone structure (relatively speaking). The most shocking thing we discovered is that the hue mans, as they called themselves, do not have any connection to the magical ley lines of Equis, nor do they posses any means to internally produce magic. This is almost unheard of in Equisian biology. Magic, as you all know, is responsible for a great deal of life processes, most notably sapient behavior.

I asked the male (the female was asleep by this point and didn't seem like much of a talker anyways) if he could shed any light on this and he responded by saying that, and I quote, “there is no magic where hue mans are from. We are intelligent because our body is able to refine nutrients in a way that we can support a more advanced brain. It’s why we almost have to eat meat.” This statement coupled with a short conversation later with Miss Sparkle revealed that the hue man named Chris (the male) had complained about not being given enough food while he was imprisoned at the garrison headquarters in ponyville.

Sure enough, after another quick examination I found several signs of the beginnings of malnourishment (as evidenced by an apparent loss of muscle mass). I asked Commander Spitfire about the rations he was given during his imprisonment and she responded by saying he was fed two small bowls of unseasoned oatmeal a day and that he had repeatedly refused to eat the standard ration of hay. She had assumed that the amount was sufficient due to “his repeated waste of food by throwing it at Soarin,” who I'm assuming was his guard. When I told her about the creature’s health and that he had been in the beginning stages of malnutrition, she was surprised and seemed somewhat upset.

This new information has allowed us to make some general guesses (or theories, for those stuck up society ponies) about the hue mans’ general biology. What information we do have points to an absolute absence of magic in their development, even in the beginning stages of their species’ maturity (because there’s no point in getting rid of magic once you have it). Their average core body temperature is approximately thirteen degrees Mareinheit warmer than that of a pony, which would indicate that their physical body is taking a larger part in maintaining itself, whereas the body of a typical Equestrian mammal is partially surviving off of its connection to the ley lines of Equis, which makes for a lower core temperature. This may also explain the hue mans’ required intake of meat. In order to support a body using more energy, they have to intake a larger amount of energy through a more efficient system, which would come in the form of meat, since a purely vegetarian diet would require a lot of time spent just... eating to maintain the required calorie intake. This is about all we can guess at until we have more information. I’m hoping to bug Chris for more information when he’s in not such terrible shape.

Research grant here I come.






Author’s Note: Exposition... exposition everywhere! Also chapter 17 is underway! Fun times!

Co-Author’s Note: So... I actually enjoyed writing a research paper for once. See if you can guess which one it is! -Admari