• Published 15th Nov 2012
  • 1,116 Views, 8 Comments

Let Me Out - mariepam198



One ponies journey to change her fate...

  • ...
2
 8
 1,116

Midnight : The Darkest Hour

Let Me Out

Chapter 1: Midnight

Written By: Mariepam198

Edited By: CplHenderson

As long as I could remember, I have lived to serve my masters, known only as number 198. My life is filled with only one purpose; to feed my queen and her many servants with my emotions. I can't imagine a life without my purpose and emotions.

One day, however, I meet a newcomer who makes me feel an emotion long forgotten. But love is just another one of those bothersome emotions that only hurt in the end. Right? I open my eyes to Darkness.



As long as I could remember, darkness has been one of my closest companions, as well as one of my greatest comforts. As I wait for my eyes to adjust, I take a deep breath, and the scent of fresh moss, as well as my natural body odours, fill my nostrils. There is something else, however. Something strange and wet.



The smell is accompanied by a noise that I have grown used to; the noise of the sad and despairing. I smile to myself, happy in the knowledge that soon, their misery will leave them, only to be replaced by the same numbness that I have felt for as long as I can remember. The numbness is a gift that our masters give us in return for our servitude, and the new number will learn to want it just like we do now.



My eyes have fully adjusted to the darkness, though I still can’t see anything. In order to get a picture of my surroundings, I extend one of my tiny, frail, red wings and press it against the wall next to me. A sudden sensation of cold shocks the appendage, but I do not resist, allowing the feeling to spread to the rest of my body. Adapting quickly to the temperature, I begin to move, using the wall to guide myself until I can make out a metallic bar glinting in a tiny sliver of light. I slowly pull my wing back, and I walk towards the light.



Soon, I’m near the edge of my home, blue stone walls visible in the dim light, water dripping out of poorly patched cracks. The stone walls block out the sound of the struggling ponies on the other side. The metallic bars sit tauntingly just a few feet away, but as soon as I reach out, I am stopped by the chains binding me. Long ago, I had learned that fighting the chains would achieve nothing more than displeasing my masters, and so I stop.



Looking down, I see blood leaking out of one of the many small scars covering my entire body. Going over to one of the walls, I take a piece of moss in my mouth and press it to my bleeder. I am struck by a painful stinging sensation that lasts a couple of seconds. Once it is over, however, I see that the blood is now unnoticeable, blending into my deep red coat. Hopefully, my masters will not notice that I had transgressed their wishes.



A voice calls out. "Wake up! It is time for your service!"



At the sound of my master, I jolt to attention and sit upright to show that I am prepared for duty.



"That's a good little Pony! Now walk up to the front of your cell so that we can take the chains off of you," the master says as the clang of a lock is heard.



Obeying his orders, I walk up to the barred door of my cell, moving as close as I can before my movement is restricted by the chains binding me. The master moves up to me and removes the chains, allowing me some freedom to move. The master that is coming to retrieve me today looks the same as the rest of them. He has a black body, with multiple holes in his hooves and a blue, torn up mane and matching tail. His wings are just like the others; beautiful and translucently blue, putting my ugly feathered wings to shame. My masters are truly the most perfect creatures in this world.



I feel the weight of my chains gone and find myself able to move freely. I stand up and follow my master out of my home, placing myself in a line with other ponies performing their daily duties. This is always the longest part of the day. I always feel rather impatient, simply waiting for my masters to retrieve me, but I dare not display it. Disrespecting one of my masters would be simply unthinkable.



As I move closer and closer to the end of the line, I feel more and more anxious, though I do not show it. All of a sudden, a pony near the end of the line snaps completely, and begins to tap his hooves loudly against the stone floor. The sharp sound echoes through the cave, drawing the attention of multiple masters. Coming in, they grab a hold of the struggling pony and fly him away.



Stupid idiot. He should have known better than to display impatience. All ponies, upon entry, are informed that they must not show, or more importantly waste, emotions at any time. Emotions are to be stored throughout the day, and will only be used in order to feed the queen.



Starting to get lost in my ocean of thoughts, I am suddenly startled by a shrieking cry. Everypony in the line turns their head towards the source, and I see a small, blue unicorn filly attempting to escape. I almost wish that she would succeed, but I knew full well that was impossible.



The filly makes it to the end of the cave, and I can feel hope starting to build, but that hope is crushed when the pony finds herself surrounded by dozens of masters. So many surround her that I soon lose sight of her in the swarm. It’s an event that happens all too commonly, always with the same result.



There is no escape from here.