• Published 11th Nov 2012
  • 7,885 Views, 578 Comments

A Day With Friends - MyOpinionIsSuperior



Rainbow Dash's son learns that he can always depend on his friends to help him with his problems. O

  • ...
21
 578
 7,885

Predators

The troublemaking trio walked steadily through the bustling marketplace with ponies of various races, colors, and sizes throwing their bits away to whatever stands could sell their products best. Even Rainbow Blitz’s spectacular color scheme was lost among the sea of equines, all too busy to notice the child celebrity amongst the masses. Capricorn and Rainbow Blitz paused their weary hoofsteps, catching their breath as beads of sweat ran down their faces, splashing quietly into the dirt path below. The two colts were laden with bags of free merchandise that Golden Delicious had acquired, each a testimony of every vendor’s melted heart. Rainbow Blitz watched throughout the afternoon with concealed amusement as she charmed her way into the good graces of even the stingiest of business ponies. Never once did she ask or beg for the multitude of goods that were thrust upon her. Her strategy was simply flattery, whether it was for the vendor or their merchandise. The combination of her natural beauty and southern belle charms won her into the hearts of everypony, and the numerous clothes and trinkets the two colts labored with became even more abundant as they made their way further into the heart of Ponyville. Rainbow Blitz panted with visible strain, his voice cracking as he leaned over to whisper his complaints to Capricorn.

“How much longer is this gonna take?”

Despite his own obvious fatigue, Capricorn raised a cocky eyebrow and maintained a level tone. “What’s the matter, Blitzy? Don’t you like free stuff? Or are you just that tired? I thought athletes were good at endurance.”

“It’s not that,” Blitz shook his head, scattering sweat droplets into the air. “What if somepony recognizes me?” He grabbed a tuft of rainbow mane, as if to personify it as a scapegoat. “I don’t exactly blend in with the crowd, you know.”

Capricorn gave an amused snort and a roll of his eyes. “You kidding? It’s Ponyville Square during peak hours. We’re lucky nopony’s trampled us for a hairband…. yet. Anyways, if somepony did recognize you, we could lose them pretty quickly in the crowd.”

“Why don’t you have to hide from the crowd?” Rainbow Blitz whined indignantly. Golden Delicious approached the boys in a steady trot with another bag slung victoriously over her shoulder. She gave the two ponies a half-lidded knowing look, fluttering her eyelashes with a small smile.

“Who needs to hide, sugar? Ah really do hope a little kiss didn’t scare ya’ none,” She said confidently with a quick wink, despite the faint pink hue tinting her cheeks that betrayed her racing heart. Rainbow Blitz shook his head violently, fighting to control his own blush, his bangs forming a fiery blur as they glistened in the sunlight.

“No no, that was… cool,” Blitz croaked, his volume approaching levels more characteristic of Capricorn’s mother than his own. He pointed an accusing hoof at Capricorn’s horn, “He’s the one who’s the big deal. Why doesn’t he have to run away from the paparazzi?”

Golden Delicious and Capricorn gave each other a sidelong glance, their expressions exchanging mutual understanding for their friend’s ignorance. The young alicorn lifted a hoof, revealing an engraved horseshoe nailed firmly into the keratin.

“Charmed horseshoes,” He explained nonchalantly, examining the intricate patterns on the metal frame with feigned interest. “They hide my horn and make it look like another piece of hair or something like that. I wasn’t really paying attention to the magical details when Princess Celestia gave them to me.”

“B-but I can see it just fine! So could Storm Kicker! He called you a royal snot!” Rainbow Blitz protested, tapping Capricorn’s horn for emphasis. The peach pony’s muzzle curved down into scowl and he slapped the offending pale blue hoof away.

“Stop that! I may not have been paying attention to exactly what she told me, but it’s an illusion spell and it will only work on ponies that have no idea what I really am. You guys, the grown ups, and a few others are the only ones that know I’m not a pegasus, and I’d like to keep it that way. Somepony is gonna get suspicious if you draw attention to my horn, and I can only use the hair gel excuse so many times before they realize not even gel can make a mane that solid.”

“Oh, like he’s the one who who’s gonna spoil that there secret of yours?” Golden Delicious sneered, her bright eyes boring into Capricorn’s, causing him to slightly shrink back in shame. She turned to Rainbow Blitz and gave him a sincere and apologetic smile that seemed contagious, as he found himself smiling back. “Don’t you fret none, sugar. This silly colt got pushed around one too many times by that bully and pulled out some of his fancy magic tricks to bully him right back. Ah suppose there’s a lesson to be had from that, ain’t there Rainbow Blitz?”

Rainbow Blitz? As in the Wonderbolt kid?”

All three children turned in horror to the piercing voice, its owner a teenage pegasus mare with long locks of dark purple hair that draped down her neck in waves, mingling with her soft pink coat. Her pale blue eyes shrunk to pinpricks and her muzzle developed a manic smile as she beheld the sight of Blitz’s rainbow mane under the loads of merchandise.

“Oh my gosh! It is you! I’m such a huge fan of your mom,” She gushed, drawing attention from several ponies in the crowd. Rainbow Blitz felt his ears pin back as the number of onlookers increased, forming a large crowd as the mare continued on despite his obvious discomfort. “I can’t believe I’m meeting Rainbow Dash’s son!”

The gasps and murmurs in the crowd became loud chatter, accompanied by the flash of one or two cameras. Golden Delicious squeezed between the two colts and grabbed each around the head, drawing their cheeks to hers in a tight embrace. Her forehead broke into a cold sweat and she forced a camera-ready smile, whispering through her teeth to the boys.

“Ah want you two ta’ drop those bags and hightail it outta here, ya hear?”

“But all your stuff-“ Rainbow Blitz started, his rebuttal cut off by a caramel hoof.

“This ain’t got nothin’ on what Ah come back with after takin’ Uncle Macintosh to the Square, sugar,” She said before bucking the heavy loads off of Capricorn and Blitz. “Now run!”

On cue, all madness broke loose. The three children galloped away from the crowd and further into town. The mob of hobby photographers and Wonderbolt fans took pursuit, chasing after the trio with the ferocity of a wolf pack. Rainbow Blitz looked up to see if an aerial escape would be viable, only to discover the hordes of pegasus ponies that had taken to the air in an attempt to capture him on film. Blitz considered taking to the air and outflying his harassers, but quickly decided against it when he realized it would not only separate him from his friends, but also put him into possibly unfamiliar airspace. He could feel the lactic acid building in his limbs, unused to the prolonged running that ground life had to offer. Blitz gave Golden Delicious a look of desperation, pleading her with wavering eyes to find a solution before he collapsed in an exhausted heap. His prayers went answered, as the young cowpony’s expression lit up and she quickly changed trajectory, heading towards a large tree in the middle of town. Blitz strained his eyes to read the sign on the tree, its elegant font forming the words ‘Golden Oaks Library’. They stopped, out of breath, at the door before Rainbow Blitz flew up and twisted the knob, forcing the door open. Capricorn hesitated as Golden Delicious and Blitz dashed in, his hoof frozen in midair as he stood completely immobilized. Capricorn’s chromatic friend shot him a terrorized look, his features clearly showing his questioning of the alicorn’s sanity.

“What are you doing!” Rainbow Blitz shrieked, his body rising in altitude as his wings fluttered in panic. Capricorn cringed and put his hoof down, turning his head away to break any eye contact.

“I-I can’t go in there!” He stuttered.

“It’s either here or out there with the crowd, sugar,” Golden Delicious said calmly. She grabbed Capricorn’s tail and yanked him inside, eliciting a yelp from the startled peach pony. “And Ah sure as ta’ Betsy ain’t lettin’ any friend of mine face them alone.”

The door slammed shut and clicked as Rainbow Blitz locked the bolts into place. He turned around and gasped at the sight of the library’s extravagant features. Blitz had heard many stories from Rainbow Dash about the library, but even his imagination failed to compare to magnificent internal structuring. His cheek rose slightly as he squinted a single eye in contemplation; outside of Sweet Apple Acres or Sugarcube Corner, he hadn’t really given the town any proper exploration. Making a mental note to correct this problem in the future, he landed onto the floor and began trotting around the building, taking in the sights of the numerous books and secretly wondering how many of them belonged to the Daring Doo series. His thoughts were interrupted by the pattering of hoofsteps as somepony desperately tried to race down the stairwell. All three ponies turned to the sound of a familiar mare’s voice that called from the upper story.

“I am so sorry! Spike just got back from the hospital after another one of my son’s experiments and I was just upstairs to make sure that he-“

She paused as she came into view, her lavender coat and pink streaked navy blue mane frazzled, though she was mostly shaken by the three particular visitors. Twilight Sparkle’s coat was smudged with black traces of soot, evidence of some sort of pyrotic assault.

“… ate his dinner.”

Golden Delicious gasped at the mare’s tattered appearance, rushing forward with prim hastiness and a leer that made the ends of Twilight’s coat hairs stand in slight fear.

“Auntie Twilight! Shame on you! Just take a gander at yerself! Uncle Macintosh deserves to come home after a hard day’s work to the pretty mare we all know and love, not the side effect of his son’s silly experiments.”

Twilight smiled down at the angry farm filly, her years with the Apple family numbing her to the harsh criticisms of Applejack’s daughter. She knew Golden Delicious had meant what she said as a backwards compliment and had lashed out at what she considered an intentional jeopardy of something she held to be valued highly: physical appearance.

Twilight brushed the soot off with a casual forehoof, “I’m sorry, sweetheart. It’s an easy cleanup and I’ll be back to your standards long before your uncle gets home.” She said with a quick wink before turning her attention to the smudges on her coat. “Besides, this was from Spike; he’s sick in bed after getting caught in the aftermath of one of your cousin’s experiments.”

Seeing as her response had satisfied her niece, Twilight flashed a large smile to the most colorful guest in her library. “Rainbow Blitz! You’ve grown so much! It’s so good to see you; I hope you’ve been enjoying your stay in Ponyville for the day.”

“Ehehe, well it’s been busy, that’s for sure,” He said awkwardly, scratching the purple hairs at the back of his head with a forehoof.

As Twilight’s gaze wandered to the third guest in her library, her smile fell immediately along with her eyelids as they met Capricorn in a chilling stare.

“Capricorn,” She stated coolly.

“Mrs. Apple,” He deadpanned back.

“How are you enjoying the honor of having Princess Celestia as your teacher?” Twilight asked bitterly. Her teeth grit slightly as she spoke, a physical gesture that the young alicorn picked up on immediately.

He flashed a coy smile. “How are you enjoying the honor of not having Princess Celestia as your teacher?”

“I graduated, for your information!” Twilight shrieked, her bit of composure snapping at Capricorn’s jab. She pointed a proud hoof to herself. “I had to pass a difficult entrance exam to be even considered for an advanced magic school, and I passed with such flying colors that the Princess asked me to become her personal protégé. I worked my hooves to the bone to reach the magical prowess I have. You,” She hissed, her hoof quaking in rage as she pointed to the small anomaly, “are just a lucky combination of recessive alleles that just so happened to-“

“Yeah yeah,” Capricorn spoke up, interrupting the librarian’s rant. “I’ve heard it all before, lady. I don’t see how any of that is my fault, though.”

“You could at least show more professionalism and respect for others and not rely on your alicorn status as a safety net for when you do something wrong!” Twilight ranted. Her expression softened as she saw the young colt’s eyes well up with tears, his ears pinned back as she had obviously struck a chord. Catching onto her friend’s guilt, Golden Delicious tugged at Twilight’s leg, diverting her attention away from Capricorn.

“As delightful as this has been, Auntie Twilight,” She started hastily, her usual control and confidence in her speech completely absent. “We came here to see that boy of yours. We got a doozy of a problem, and Ah do believe he’s just the pony who can help us.”

“Oh! Why didn’t you say so?” Twilight chirped, trotting back up the stairs. “Gizmo! You have some visitors!”