• Published 7th Nov 2012
  • 13,909 Views, 666 Comments

The Queen's Revenge - Listener



When the Queen of the Changlings takes her revenge on the ponies, will Twilight be able to stop her? Or, more importantly, will Twilight be able to stop herself?

  • ...
46
 666
 13,909

The Beginning of the End

“Come on, we don’t want anypony else to see us, now do we?” came a voice from the darkness.

“I said I was sorry, didn’t I? It’s not my fault that those ponies are everywhere at all times of the day,” another voice replied, irritated this time.

“Shh, come on, the big tree library is just ahead, let’s just be quiet until we have what we came for, alright?”

“Fine.”

In the middle of the night without Luna’s moon, the only light on the street was from a lone lamp post in the middle of the square, and in the distance shone a lone candle in the window of the two mysterious strangers’ final destination.

The residence of Twilight Sparkle.

The door opened with a slight squeak, causing the two to freeze for a moment and pray to their Queen nopony heard anything.

The snoring upstairs continued uninterrupted, and the two strangers breathed a sigh of relief. Their cover wasn’t blown. Continuing into the library, they stop in the center of the main room, the main foyer that houses all the books.

The bigger one looked over at the other. “Grab the books pertaining to the Queen’s interest, and only books that she specified.”

Clearly that one was in charge. As the leader walked over to the window, he spoke, his voice low and cold.

“And then we go on to stage two of the project.”

“Stage two? I didn’t hear anything about stage two.”

“And you still haven’t. You’ll participate in it, but you won’t be able to tell anyone. Ever.”

“Ah, so the Queen is in direct control of this then?”

“Yes.”

All of a sudden, the room went black as the candle in the window got blown out.

//|b0d|\\

The baby dragon was still asleep. Good. That meant one last witness for this.

“Come on, we need to get the spell placed,” came the order, whispered, as they were directly next to the target.

“Okay, just let me get into position,” the second stranger said, moving to get a better place next to the bed. As this happened, his front leg brushed up against the purple dragon’s leg.

“Woah!” came the muffled yell. The leader pushed the other off of the purple leg.

“Idiot! What happened to no touching?” the bigger one whispered tersely at the other.

“Sorry boss, but that was an accident. And that surge of emotion was just so intense!”

“Uh, AJ? Rainbow Dash? Why are you in my house in the middle of the night?”

Twilight, the resident of the library in a tree, Ponyville, had woken up to the two strangers, that Twilight identified as Applejack and Rainbow Dash.

“Oh, uh... Oh buck this. Tange, just convert.”

“Got it Reaj”

And in a flash of purple light, the two transformed into one of three more feared creatures in Equestria.

Changelings.

“Wha? But, we banished you to the badlands! What are you doing here!” Twilight exclaimed sleepily, her mind still behind on the fact that they probably meant her harm, or just something as horrible.

“We’re here for you, my dear. Orders of the queen herself,” said Reaj.

“Me? Why?”

“Because she sees it as your fault that she failed in her attempt to capture Equestria. She would’ve gotten us food, and shelter without any problem, and any bloodshed.”

“What are you talking about? What happened that day was completely in self defense of our country!” Twilight’s mind seemed to have finally caught up with the stream of information that her senses were sending.

“Spike!”

“Restrain her!”

Tange’s horn, which was basically a counterpart of a unicorn’s horn lit up with a green aura as it surrounded Twilight, preventing her from moving.

But she didn’t need to move to cast a spell. Or two.

“Could you hurry up with that sleep spell? I thought that those were your specialty!” Tange said to Reaj, no longer bothering to keep their voices down to whispers. It looked like the baby dragon, Spike apparently, wasn’t going to wake up anytime soon.

“They are, but she’s fighting back!”

“Just drop the marker and let’s teleport back! The other’s will take care of her once we get there. We’re going to get caught if this keeps up!”

Indeed. The magic of the changeling called Tange, mixing with the magic of Twilight, made for quite a light show from the library windows, and Spike was beginning to wake up.

“Mmmh, Twi, please turn off the light. It’s midnight for pete’s sake.” Spike said, pulling his blanket over his head.

“Reaj, now!”

“Hey, you don’t call the shots here! I do!”

“Well, then, what are we going to do?”

“We’ll drop the beacon, and let the others take care of it.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

Giving up on tranquilising Twilight, the changeling turned it’s attention to his saddlebag, pulling something out with the same green glow that all changeling’s have, and dropped it to the floor.

With one final flash of a brilliant white light, all three of them teleported out. All that was left in the library was one purple and green baby dragon.

“Thanks, Twilight,” said Spike, snuggling down deeper into the blankets. He was completely unaware of all that had just transpired in the bedroom.

And no one would know where Twilight went in the middle of the night. Or, at least, that was plan, and a plan that would’ve gone perfectly, if there hadn’t been a wildcard in the deck. The wild card was Twilight, who had done something that nopony would’ve thought to do under extreme duress. But Twilight wasn’t just an normal unicorn, and had used one of the most simplest spells, and had managed to write four single words, ones that would change everything about that perfect plan, and a piece of paper on the other side of the room.

“The changelings have returned.” it said, although it wasn’t Twilight’s normally perfect writing, it was still identifiable as hers.

//b0d\\

Meanwhile, at the Canterlot Castle


“Mind if I join you sister?”

“Of course, Tia. But shouldn’t thou be asleep?”

“Yes Luna, I should be. But It’s been awhile since we’ve just sat together and looked at your beautiful night sky together.”

“You never do that, unless something is wrong.”

“You wound me. But yes. I can’t shake a feeling that something terrible is happening.”

“Happening? Not happened?”

“No Luna, I fear that something is going to come and test this kingdom to it’s limits.”

“Then we will face that threat together, okay Tia? Now go get some sleep.”

“Love you too, Luna,” Celestia said, laughing and turning to return to her quarters.