• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 1,826 Views, 67 Comments

Getting Home - leafz pegasus



Leaf enjoyed his life. He was the famous DJ INS4NITY, and he had a wonderful girlfriend to love as well. But all that changed when he became enveloped in a white light and was sent to another world, with only one thing in mind; to return home.

  • ...
10
 67
 1,826

A Dismal Return

"What's a teleportation gate?" I asked with increasing worry.

"They teleport people, duh! But the only people who can use it are Twilight and... the... Princesses..." Vinyl looked toward me, worry etched onto her sun-glassed face, "we might be in a bit of trouble…"

The whirring noise of the teleportation gates reached a high and piercing climax, as two regal figures stepped calmly out of them, an air of sadness and benevolent fury following them.

The larger of the two took a step towards Vinyl and me, "Are you the one called 'Blake Disqe?'"

I gently put Lightning Dust down, and stood up to my full height, trying to seem as composed as possible in the presence of the menacing woman.

"Yes, I am. But may I ask why the two of you took the time and trouble to see me in the middle of the night?" I barked a quick and sharp laugh, "I can't possibly be this popular this quickly."

The regal woman glanced down at me with a look that was either pity or sadness.

"I am aware of who you are, Blake Desqeteres."

I flinched at the woman's revelation, but I remained firm in my stance.

"How do you know my name?" I questioned the woman, my calm façade slowly fading, "I NEVER tell people my full name.”

"Because," the woman backed up a bit and took an offensive stance, with her right foot planted forward and her left supporting her weight. "Your family line is of Royalty, but not one you should be proud of!”

I waved my arms in a frenzied fashion. “Wait! What does that even mean?!”

The Woman flashed me a predatory grin. “It means that I will fight with you until one of us falls, and I can guarantee it will not be me.”

"Lights of the sky, grant me power, cast your cleansing light upon my enemies; HEAVEN SHOWER!"

Justin! What do I do?!

Just do what I did earlier!

Real helpful! I thought back quickly before dodging one of the first bolts of light.

Just say the incantations I said earlier!

That’s all I need to do?! It’s that simple?!

Well now that you have access to my power and spell set, yes.

I quickly raised my right hand in front of me, my palm facing the woman. I grabbed my right bicep with my left hand, fueled by some instinct. I was worried whatever this “heaven shower” is, was going to destroy me, until, slowly, a small circle formed, in front of my palm.

"Night can hide, night can cover, night can protect, and night can repel! SHADOW CLOAK!"

Once I finished, the generic circle in front of me became detailed and decorated; it folding into itself to form a proud shield in the majority of the circle, with many smaller, seemingly unreal symbols and patterns filling up the rest of the circle.

The hail of light rained down and charred everything they hit. I braced for the end, before opening my eyes, looking around. The light, except for me, charred everything nearby. Somehow, the shield was protecting me.

How do I shoot back?! I mentally yelled, waving the shield around uselessly, the woman that fired the spell gaping at me in shock.

Just do literally the exact same thing you've been doing. Idiot.

Oh. Right.

The shower of burning lights began to slow, and I took the opening.

"Fire of the night, bane of the light, shed the countless bolts upon my target!: GATLING SHADOW BOLT!"

Another intricate circle appeared in front my right palm, except this time a glyph of a bow and arrow dominated the circle. The circle elongated into a large long bow; made entirely out of an unknown black substance.

I pulled the string taut, and a large, translucent black arrow appeared in the notch. I aimed directly for the woman.

"Damn it, where'd she go!"

Look up, Blake!

I shot my head upwards just in time to see a large light spear hurtling towards me. Clutching the bow, I swiftly rolled to the left, and the woman landing to my right.

"Never leave yourself open for attack!"

I glanced back at the woman in time to see another light spear sailing toward my prone position. I dived away.

"GAH!" A second spear struck my right calf as I dived, and I fell to the ground
unceremoniously.

"Do you accept defeat?" The woman asked as she calmly walked towards me.

C'mon... Another few feet closer...

The woman continued to advance my position. "If you honestly though you could
win, then you must be very desperate indeed, my subject."

Another foot! C'mon!

"I'm not a citizen of this place, so you have no jurisdiction over me!"

The woman took another step.

"Yet you are here, in Equestria, making friends among my subjects. And I am truly sorry to have to do this, but I must punish you for your crimes."

Almost! One more step!

"For what? What have I done since coming here, besides helping people?!?" I growled in rage.

The woman took one last step.

"Your crime is being here."

Die, bitch!

"How vulgar!" The woman said in disdain, reading my thoughts.

"Never leave yourself open to attack!"

I brought the bow up to bear, and I let loose at point blank range, the hundreds
of arrows engulfing the woman.

The spell bow finally dissipated, and I sat panting on the ground.

No wonder Vinyl is so fit for being a DJ, magic is tiring!

As I was struggling to get up, I heard Vinyl scream.

"Disqe, look out!"

I looked back to the regal woman; her clothes were shredded and was now standing with a rather displeased look on her face. That was the good part. The bad part was that she herself was completely unharmed.

"Oh c'mon! I shot you at point blank!"

The woman smiled. "And not a single one missed; what you didn't see is that a Magi, or in this case an Avatar, can simply deflect another's spell if they have power equal to or greater than the spell. “

Okay, now that’s just not fair.

"I can see that this is above your level if understanding at the moment, so I'll just give you the abridged version," the woman looked me dead in the eye before continuing, "I am Princess Celestia, and you cannot win."

The princess charged another spell, but this one felt different from the other ones. More sinister, more evil intent than anything I've seen. Even the Waking Nightmare didn't feel this bone chilling.

"Tia! What art thou doing!" said Luna as she took a sep forward in shock.

"This ends here, Justin!"

"Tia, no!"

I could only stare as the spell circle widened and became black.

I tried conjuring another spell, but each time I tried, the magic would be absorbed by black circle.

"The power of my ancestors, the power of a hundred suns! Grant me your strength! Tear this soul asunder from its vessel, destroy it utterly and completely: SOUL REND!"

That bitch; that's my spell.

So now you talk!

DDOODDGGEE

Oh really! I didn't think of that!

I tried jumping to my right, but couldn’t, my feet were planted to the ground in sheer fear and dread by the amount of hatred that the spell was emitting.

A large blast of power radiated from her spell, all being directed towards me, and I could feel the dread and despair that followed.

"I'm so fucked." I whispered to myself, the massive force inches from me.

The wave if power slammed into me with a force that a semi trailer would be proud of, knocking me off the ground and onto my back.

Everything was fuzzy, and my hearing was dull; as if someone had used a flashbang grenade too many times.

"Blake, NO!"

That was the last thing I heard.

<-*->


"Where am I?"

I floated in darkness, just as Fabio did in the Waking Nightmare spell.

"Am I dead? Is this limbo?"

"No, you're not dead, and no, this isn't limbo."

I looked around the darkness, trying to find the source of the voice.

"If you don't mind, I would like to have a floor to stand on."

Befuddled, I responded, "How do I do that?"

"It's your head, figure something out!" The voice replied, a little frustrated.

"Okay, I guess I'll try."

I tried to imagine a good place; my favorite place, and I soon found myself standing on a linoleum floor.

"Your nightclub. Huh, I would've preferred a lounge of some kind, but this is acceptable as well."

"Who are you? And what are we doing here?" I asked cautiously.

"Oh c'mon Blake. I've been with you all your life; I'm quite hurt that you don't know me.” The Black cloaked man pouted.

"You're... You're Ins4nity?"

The figure stood up and mocked applause.

"Bravo, Blake, bravo. I am Justinius Desqeteres. Also known as the Star of Justice, the Forsworn, and the Half Blood Prince. Not to be a hipster or anything, but I was a half blood prince waaaayyy before that Snape guy."

I stood in confusion at Justinius' explanation, but I decided quickly that he was trustworthy enough.

"Alright, Justinius-"

"Call me Justin."

"Alright, Justin. You still didn't answer my other question; why are we here and why aren't I dead?"

"Simple," Justin shrugged, "it didn't hit you. That's why you aren't dead."

"But- but it hit me directly! I took a full hit from that Soul Rend spell or whatever!"

Justin grunted as he sat back down on the soft couch.

"It hit something directly, but it sure as hell wasn't you. Now, listen here very well, Blake, for I will only say this once."

I walked over and sat on the fluffy chair across from the black clad figure.

"Alright. Are you listening, Blake?"

"If what you need to tell me took a lethal spell to say, then yes."

Justin smiled softly at the joke before continuing.

"Once upon a time, I was just like you. On top of the world, a loving wife and daughter- hell I was even the Prince of Equestria!"

"Well, what happened to change all that?"

Justin's soft smile faded into a grim and cold gaze.

"I was helping my little sister, Luna, with a spell she had trouble learning, and I spent the night at the castle, unlike when I usually when I leave late and go home. I woke up earlier than I usually would, and gently carried little Luna to her bed. I exited the castle and I was soon in sight of my home, and that's when everything started to go downhill."

I looked at Justin sadly, as I could tell that he was mentally fortifying himself to finish the story.

"The door was broken down, and the windows were shattered. I ran as fast I could, even using a little spell I had made to boost my speed. I sprinted through the remains of the broken doorway to find my worst nightmare." Justin paused for a brief moment to gather himself. "My wife... My daughter... They were dead. There's no other way to put it. No sugar coating to make it sound nicer. They were dead, and lost from me forever. After that I was devastated, my public work projects ceased. I became recluse in my room in the castle, dreading the mere sight of the broken house. My spells became darker and darker, until I had finally made the Forbidden spells as they're called today. Waking Nightmare and Soul Rend are just two of the many sinister spells I had made. I tried to put on a brave face, tried to smile to the crowds of my subjects, but every time I saw a happy child, or a loving couple, it sickened me further and further. I believed that it was unfair, unjust that everyone should have happiness except me. Luna tried her best to cheer me up, and Celestia tried helping as well, but
neither were getting anywhere."

I took his momentary pause as an opening to ask my question.

"What happened next? What did you do to have Celestia basically hate you and have your name stripped from the history books?"

"I let my hatred get the best of me. I knew deep down that I should be happy for the prosperity of my subjects and their happiness, but my hatred was more prominent, more desirable. I used Eternal Nightmare. The most powerful forbidden spell I had created; fueled only by rage and hatred, it is the only spell to be created by such raw emotions. The Elements of Harmony work in much the same manner, except with pure love and order."

Justin sighed. "I tried to destroy the world; plunge the whole world into darkness and despair. But Celestia and Luna caught onto my plans, and Celestia stopped me with a counter measure she had created while Luna was trying to deal with my anger and depression. She stopped me, and banished me to a world engulfed in war. At the time, I was more than happy to see both sides obliterated. But something happened and new country joined the war and pushed the balance of power. After many years of living with despair, I died of old age. But Celestia had put a curse on me. I was to continue life in the
consciousness of my descendants until I was ready to return."

I have him a puzzled look. "So you're like my great grandfather times twenty."

Justin gave a short and sad chuckle. "If you look at it that way, I guess so. But you must take what I am saying seriously Blake."

Justin got up and walked over to me. He put his hands firmly on my shoulders. "Never let your hatred control your life, Blake. I did and look where it got me. Get back to Sol, find the love you've always looked for. Have a happy life, you
deserve it."

I grunted. "I already have a girlfriend and how did you know that?"

Justin gave a hearty laugh, a real one this time. "I've been in this screwed up head of yours for a while, Blake. I know how you think."

"And don't give me this 'I have a girlfriend' bull shit. If you aren't ready to say I love you back to them, without any hesitation, without any regrets that you might have the moment they say it to you, then they aren't for you."

"Alright, thanks for the advice, but why are you telling me all of this? What's the point!"

Justin sighed sadly as he sank back down into the couch. "That Soul Rend didn't hit you- it hit me. I switched places with you Blake. You have a nice, long life ahead of you, kiddo. Don't waste it."

"Wait, Justin! What do you mean you switched places with me! What's going to happen!" I practically shouted with concern.

"It means I'm dying, Blake. I can already hear my wife calling me..."

"No! Justin! You can't die! Not now! I still need you!"

"Heheh, no you don't kiddo. Just take my advice I've taught you today to heart, and you'll never go astray. Live as if you'll die today, dream as if you'll live forever. Good bye, Blake."

I hot tears ran down my face as I saw my life long friend, my alter ego, and the one who’d stood beside me in every endeavor, disappear slowly in front of me.

"Good bye . . . Justin."


<-*->



"Blake! Disqe! Can you hear me! Say something, anything, please!"

I wonder who that is . . .

"Please, Disqe . . . just wake up . . . Please. For me, please say something . . . Anything . . ."

Vinyl . . . ?

"You have to get up! You have to! Please! Why can't you . . . Get up . . . Why . . ."

She sounds sad, and why can't I get up? I'm making Vinyl sad by laying here. C'mon body, work!

"Ever since you saved me and Pinkie from that Manticore, you've stuck with me, and even when I was being annoying or stupid, you'd stuck with me. So please, for the love of anything! Please . . . Just wake up . . ."

"Vinyl . . ."

Yes! Basic communication! I'm getting there.

"Huh! Disqe! Disqe! Say something else! Anything, just continue to speak, don't fall asleep! Please!"

"I . . . I heard you . . . While . . . I was out of it . . . I heard your sadness . . . And I
promise to not . . . cause you to be sad again . . . I promise."

Vinyl crushed my already extremely hurting ribs, but I didn't mind. I could take the pain for a little bit.

"Oh, Disqe! Never do something that stupid again! Please don't!"

"Eh heh, no promises there . . ."

"Ow!"

"I'm being serious here, Disqe."

"I know, I know.” I replied as I rubbed my arm, “Could you please help me up?"

Vinyl helped me lean onto her shoulder, and Lightning Dust saw what was going on and helped me as well.

"Blake Desqe- I mean, Disqe. I would like to apologize to you."

I looked up slightly at the woman in front of me, still regal, but signs of distress and regret were written on her face.

"Apology accepted, ma'am.” I said with a smile.

The Princess recoiled. “You’ve forgiven me that quickly? But . . . I hurt you . . . For no other reason besides my suspicions.”

I waved her off. “You’re forgiven because I know you were just doing what you thought was best for Equestria. All I want to know is when I can return home.”

Celestia shuffled a bit at my request. "About that..."

"It's ready!"

"What?" Celestia and I replied simultaneously.

I looked towards the smaller of the two women, the one I assume is Luna, and lo and behold, there was a portal behind her.

Celestia looked befuddled at her younger sister. "Is your night court honestly that sparse?"

"Sadly, yes. Although, it does provide me with much free time!" Luna replied happily.

Luna looked at me with intense, yet caring eyes. "Are you ready to return, Blake?"

I looked between my two friends, Vinyl and Dust, and nodded. "I think I'm ready, Luna."

I turned to Dust and gave her a firm hug. "I'll miss you, Disqe!"

"I'll miss you too, Dust."

I released my grip on Dust and turned my attention to Vinyl. The blue-haired DJ had been my friend since I had gotten here a week ago, and just leaving her high and dry would have been a crime all on its own. Vinyl had been the kindred spirit I had found in this virtual Candyland, and I had promised that I would never make her sad again. I felt that leaving her would shred that promise to pieces.

I turned to face Vinyl, for what I feared may be the last time. A soft ‘thump’ told me she had the same idea, and had her face buried in my shirt.

"Disqe! I'll miss you so much!"

"Eh heh, I'll miss you too Vinyl, I'll miss you too." I wished that I could tell her more; remind her about all the good times we’d had in the short week that we’d known each other. Tell her how much she meant to me, and Justin’s advice seeped into the forefront of my mind: Don’t give me that ‘I have a girlfriend’ bullshit. If you aren’t ready to tell another person that you love them, without hesitation, without regret, then they aren’t the right person for you.

I wanted to tell her that she meant so much to me; more than any friend I’d ever had, or will make, but I felt that telling her that and then leaving her with that burden would not be the right thing to do.

"Are you ready to go now, Blake?"

I turned to the princess and gave my short, but momentous answer.

"Yes I am, Luna. I'm ready to return to Sol."

Luna nodded curtly. "Then proceed through the portal, and you'll be back home."

I walked slowly to the portal, a sense of calm washing over me.

I turned back to the four people behind me.

Celestia appeared sad to see me go, but otherwise looked happy to see that I was able to return home. I couldn’t exactly relate to her, since she is royalty and I’ve only known her for about 30 minutes, but I flashed a smile at her all the same.

Luna had a look of indifference on her face, probably trying to keep up her façade as the Princess of the Night. Her face was neutral, but a small tear rolled down her left cheek before she promptly brushed it off.

Lightning Dust appeared to be dejected; her head was low and her gaze toward the ground. She looked up for a brief moment to smile at me and waved curtly before resuming her fossil hunt.

She’s probably sad that the one true friend she’s had is leaving so soon . . . I hope Vinyl treats her well when I’m gone.

Vinyl . . . I wished with all my heart that I could tell her how much she meant, and how much I wanted to stay here, in Equestria, with her. She held my gaze unlike the other three, but she had tears rolling down her cheeks. All I wanted was to run up to her, and hold her tight. Wiping the tears off and telling her that it was going to be all right.

But I had a girlfriend on Sol; one that was probably worried sick. Yet each time I thought about Deryn, Justin’s advice would overshadow it.

I looked at each one in turn once more before giving a shaky salute. “I wish all of you the best of luck! I wish that one day, whether it be a week or a year, that I may see you all again. Good bye, Celestia, Luna, Dust and Vinyl. I will never forget the friendships I’ve made here.”

And with that, I jumped into the portal.


<-*->


I landed hard on the grass of the park I had left when I had my unexpected departure.

Still dazed from the teleport, I looked around groggily.

What I saw frightened me deeply.

Buildings that were never there before, and the skyline had changed dramatically.

I quickly pulled my phone from my pocket. "A.I., connect to local time zone."

"Connecting, please wait."

"Connection failure."

"What? What do you mean connection failure?"

"I am unable to connect to any known networks."

"Then try again! But this time try connecting to unknown networks."

"Re-connecting. Please wait."

"Connection complete. Local time is 7:53 pm, March 15, 2558."

"No . . . What do you mean, 2558?!"

"I am not sure what you are asking, Disqe. I have said the correct date."

"But . . . I've only been gone a week . . . It can't be . . ." I sank to my knees on the short grass.

“It was only July 23, 2452 when I left . . .” A solitary tear ran down my cheek as I came to a dismal realization. “I’ve been gone . . . a hundred years.”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long a** wait! Here's the ending that I hope you all were expecting! Now the question is . . .

Will there be a sequel?