• Published 4th Nov 2012
  • 4,126 Views, 110 Comments

Equestria Noir Case 14 "A Glimmer of Hope" - Jacoboby1



A kidnapping mystery in white tail woods, covers the return of one of Private's most vile enemy

  • ...
2
 110
 4,126

Chapter 2 "Captivity"

Chapter 2

“Captivity”

Perspective: Private Eye

I was sitting in my office with my head lying on my desk. It had only been three days since Tailspin left for the camping trip. I tried everything I could think of to occupy myself. I tried reading, fixing up the house, anything to get my mind off my little brother. To say I was worried about him was like saying the sky was blue.

Nopony was even asking me to solve any cases. Usually my mind is so occupied by a case, that Tailspin isn’t something I had to worry too much about. Now however, I can’t stop thinking something’s gone terribly wrong. I felt something on my back and looked up. Twilight was nuzzling me gently. She smiled at me. “Still worried about Tailspin?”

I lifted my head up, and nodded. “I just can’t shake the feeling something’s gone wrong.”

Twilight looked at me sympathetically. “Private, I’m sure Tailspin will be fine.”

My grey eyes looked down at the various papers on my desk. “It’s just; he and I have always had each other. When he’s gone, it feels like I’m missing a part of myself.”

Twilight smiled at me, and kissed me on the cheek. “It just shows how much you care about him. Tailspin’s lucky to have a brother who cares so much.”

I turned to Twilight and planted my lips on hers. I kissed her deeply, desperate for something to distract me from this. As I held Twilight in my forelegs, she kissed me back. I loved this ma-

Riing!!!!

“Did you hear bells?” I asked, as we broke our kiss.

Twilight shook her head no, and let go of me, pointing to the phone. I lifted the phone with my magic and spoke into the receiver, “Private Eye Detective Agency: Solving crimes in the blink of-“

“Private, is that you?” I heard an almost hysterical female voice ask from the other end.

I recognized that voice…”Cherilee, what’s wrong?”

“Private! I was going back to get some supplies from my tent last night, when I was hit by something on the back of the head. By the time I came to, the kids were gone!”

“Somepony kidnapped your class?” my voice betrayed my worry.

“Not all of them, just the group staying over by the pond! Tailspin was in that group!”

Tailspin? Somepony had the gall to kidnap my little brother? I had to get down there!

“Where’s your campsite?” I asked, levitating out my notebook.

“White Tail Woods, by the little pond just off the main road. Please Private, you have to come! I already called the police but they won’t be here for a while! Hurry!” Cherilee sounded as though she was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

“I’m on my way!” I exclaimed. I hung up the phone, and looked at Twilight. “It seems like my worries about Tailspin weren’t unfounded.”

Just then the door opened to reveal Big Mac. The large stallion practically charged inside, and looked at me with serious green eyes. “Cherilee called me an' said that Applebloom was taken.”

“Cherilee told you?” Twilight asked, getting up from her desk.

The large stallion nodded, “She called me an' tole me she was going to get Private tah help out. Cherilee and ah are good friends, ah can’t let mah sister stay kidnapped.”

I got up from my desk, and walked to the stallion. “Are you sure you want to do this? It could be dangerous.” I offered the standard warning. I don't know why, nopony ever listens.

Big Mac glared at me with eyes I’ve only seen one other time on the stallion. That was months ago, when his family was threatened. “Ah’m goin', whether ya like it or not, Detective! Ah ain’t leavin' mah sis in some sick monster’s hooves!”

“Does Applejack know?” I asked.

Big Mac slowly shook his head. “Ah hate lyin' to her but, Ah just couldn’t bring myself to tell her. As far as she knows, Ah’m just goin tah check up on Applebloom. “

Big Mac would lie to his own sister, if it meant protecting his family? That’s dedication to your family, right there. Big Mac was right though; we didn’t need a bunch of panicking parents running around the woods, if we wanted to find the kids. I nodded firmly “All right, Big Mac, but I have to make sure your one hundred percent dedicated to this. I can’t have you panicking if things get too rough.”

Big Mac gave me a firm green eyed stare, and simply said, “Eeyup.”

That was all I needed to hear…

_____________________________________________________

Perspective: Tailspin

“Tailspin!” I felt somepony nuzzle me trying to rouse me. Slowly my blue eyes opened to see Scootaloo’s beautiful violet eyes looking down at me with concern. She smiled wide upon seeing me wake up, and threw her forelegs around me, holding me tight. “You’re okay!”

I hugged her back, tightly. “What happened?”

“Something took us,” Scootaloo explained. “Look around.”

I looked around and saw I was in a rather large cage. In my cage were Scootaloo, and Rumble. On the cage was a small label that read “Pegasi” I saw that there were two other large cages as well. In the one labeled “Earth Ponies” were Applebloom, Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon, Truffle, Pipsqueak, and Twist. The one labeled “Unicorns” contained Sweetie Belle, Dinky, Snips, and Snails.

I looked over at Rumble. “Where are we exactly?”

Rumble shook his head. “I don’t know, that freaky monster thing brought us here."

I looked over at the Earth Pony cage, and spoke so the unconscious ponies could hear. “Applebloom! Pip! You guys gotta wake up!”

Slowly Applebloom’s orange eyes opened, along with the others. Diamond Tiara bucked the bars of her cage and frowned. “Not funny Cherilee!” She shouted at nopony in particular. “This has gotta be the dumbest game since the bunny hopping!”

“Hey!” Applebloom said, glaring at Diamond. “That is a legitimate way of making Zap Apple Jam!”

“Well, of course, you would consider it legitimate!” Diamond said, glaring back at Applebloom. “Cherilee is about as crazy as your granny!”

“Don’t ya go insultin' mah granny now!” Applebloom looked ready to pummel Diamond. I had to act fast!

I got Pip’s attention with a wave of my hoof. “You and Truffle break them up!”

Pip nodded in agreement and poked Truffle, indicating he should grab Diamond. Truffle was a pretty fat pony with a grey coat and a fork and knife cutie mark. His family owned a restaurant back in Ponyville, which explained his rather large girth. I knew he would be strong enough to break up those two girls.

Pip went behind Applebloom and began to pull her away from Diamond. She struggled in my best friend’s grip. “Lemme at her, Pip! She deserves tah get smacked around!”

“Fighting isn’t going to help!” Pip said, as he struggled to maintain his grip.

Diamond too struggled in Truffle’s grip. “Typical blank flanks, sticking together!” She glared back at the fat earth pony holding her. “Let me go, fatty!”

Twist, who was just getting up, shook her head. “Diamond! Don’t make fun of Truffle!”

“What are you going to do about it, brace face?” Diamond asked, glaring back at her.

This was going nowhere! Diamond wasn’t going to make things any easier. Slowly Silver Spoon got up. She looked back and forth between the two fighting ponies. She looked almost conflicted…

Wait! That’s it!

“Silver Spoon!” I shouted. “You gotta get Diamond to back down!”

Silver Spoon turned up her nose at me. “Why should I do anything for you, blank flank?”

I crossed my forelegs. How was I going to persuade her to get Diamond to stop antagonizing everypony?”

Rumble smirked beside me and whispered, just loud enough for Silver to hear. "If you don’t, I’ll tell everypony about that Hearts and Hooves day gift you gave Snails!”

Silver’s jaw dropped, and she looked over to see Snails who was still unconscious. Everypony else was too busy with the fight to have heard it. Silver glared back at Rumble. “You wouldn’t!”

“Stop Diamond, and I won’t tell,” Rumble said, with a smug smile.

Silver sighed in defeat and walked to Diamond. “Diamond! Stop fighting everypony!”

Diamond stopped struggling in Truffle’s legs, and looked at Silver in shock. “Silver Spoon?”

Silver kept her violet gaze trained on Diamond, and eventually the pink earth pony stopped fighting. Diamond may be crazy, but she’ll listen to Silver Spoon. “Fighting like this isn’t going to solve anything,” Silver stated, firmly. “We can make fun of blank flanks after we get out of here.”

I looked at Applebloom who stopped struggling as well. “That goes for you too, Applebloom. No fighting until after we get out of here.”

The country filly sighed, and Pip let her go. Applebloom walked to Diamond and the two glared at each other. Pip got between them and smiled at them both. “Truce?”

Slowly the two enemies shook hooves. “Truce…”

I nodded with approval, and looked at the unicorn cage. Slowly Dinky and the other unicorns got up. Dinky looked around. “Where are we?”

Sweetie Belle’s green eyes scanned the room as well. It was a simple square room with a window on one side. Daylight was leaking through the window. “You think this is a game by Cherilee?”

“Well, if it is a game, I don’t want to play,” Snips said, looking around. “This place is too scary.”

I looked at the cages; they each had an old padlock on them. I wonder…

I looked over at Diamond. “Can I borrow your tiara?”

“What for, blank flank?” Diamond asked, not trying to hide her venomous tone.

“I’m going to try and pick the lock” I replied, pointing at the lock. “Not mine, but if I can get to yours then I can unlock it.”

“I didn’t know you could pick locks,” Scootaloo said, looking at me.

I smiled at her. “I picked it up from Private.” I looked at Rumble. “Do you think you could fly up off the ground?”

“Who put you in charge?” Rumble asked, glaring at me. “I don’t remember electing you or anything.”

“Do you have a better plan to get out of here?” I replied, firmly “If not, I think my plan is better than no plan.”

Rumble looked ready to argue, but one glare from Scootaloo got him to shut up. I looked over; the nearest cage was only a few feet away. If there was no weight in the cage, then we could push it over!

I looked at the other two pegasi in my cage. “All right, everypony fly just high enough off the ground.”

Scootaloo looked a little nervous. “I don’t know if I can stay in the air that long.”

I smiled at her. “Don’t worry; I know you can do it.”

Scootaloo nodded and flapped her wings so that she was hovering a few inches in the air. Rumble did the same and the two pegasi left the floor just enough that the cage only had my weight to worry about. I pushed against the edge of the cage, acting as a dead weight on it. The cage toppled over and I repeated this process until I was at the earth pony cage.

Diamond reluctantly handed me her tiara. Looking at the other ponies in the cage, I asked, “Anypony got bobby pins?”

Twist tossed me some and I smiled at her in gratitude. I took the tiara, and broke off one of the ends with my hoof. Diamond glared at me. “I hope you’re willing to pay for that when we get out of here!”

“I’ll get around to it after I buy the next Daring Do book,” I said, with a roll of my eyes. I then stuck the broken piece inside the padlock, and began picking at it. I’m not as good at lock picking as Private, so I lost a bobby pin in the process, but eventually the lock clicked open.

Applebloom opened the door with a smile. “We’re out!”

I looked at Pip. “Look around for a key.”

Pip nodded and left the room with Truffle beside him. The pair returned shortly with a set of keys. “We found them on a chair outside. Let’s get you guys out of here!”

Dinky smiled wide at the pinto. “You’re amazing, Pipsqueak!”

Pip blushed, and rubbed the back of his head. “Well, anything for my friends.”

Sweetie Belle began singing softly, “Pip and Dinky, sitting in a tree-“

“Don’t even start!” Dinky said, glaring at Sweetie, who giggled along with the other girls in the room. Pip inserted the key into the lock on the unicorn cage. The lock clicked open and the unicorns were set free. He then came and unlocked the pegasi cage.

Scootaloo and Rumble flew out, and I was about to join them. Sadly, I forgot I was crippled and fell on my face. Diamond and Silver laughed at my clumsy display, and I flushed in embarrassment.

Then I felt something on my stomach, and saw Scootaloo lifting me up onto her back. Everypony stared as she walked back to the group with me slung over her back. “I’m not going to leave him.”

“He’s a dead weight,” Rumble pointed out. “He’ll only slow us down.”

“Shut up, Rumble!” Scootaloo retorted. “Tailspin is my friend, I’m not leaving him! Besides, if it weren't for him none of us would be free.”

I flushed at being called Scootaloo’s friend. I then looked around at the group. “Listen everypony, we need to calm down. Whatever grudges we have against each other can wait until after we get out of here.”

I met everypony’s eyes and slowly everypony nodded. I only hoped this truce could last long enough for us to get out of here…

________________________________________________________

Perspective: Private Eye

We walked in the darkest part of White Tail Woods. Cherilee pointed out where the campsite was, and we found strange tracks leading away from it. Big Mac looked down at the hoof prints that were highlighted by Twilight’s tracking spell. “What kinda creature made these?”

They certainly looked like hoof prints, except they were huge. They looked more like they belonged to an Alicorn than your average pony. Did an Alicorn make them? What Alicorn would take a bunch of kids, and for what reason?

“HEEEELPPP!!!”

I heard the scream and looked around the woods. “That sounded like Fluttershy!”

“Shy!” Big Mac took off into the woods towards the scream. Twilight and I followed in hot pursuit. Big Mac plowed through bushes and foliage, clearing a path for Twilight and I. There was no stopping this guy once he got going it seems.

We came into a clearing and saw Fluttershy cowering before the biggest earth pony I’ve ever seen. It was red as blood; its mane was equally red, and fell around his yellow eyes, which were glaring at Fluttershy. Big Mac outright tackled the monster, and the two began wrestling, as I ran to Fluttershy.

“What are you doing here?” I asked, the cowering Pegasus.

“Private?” Fluttershy asked, looking up at me. “I was going to help a squirrel family find a new forest home, when that weird creature attacked me.”

I watched as the beast attacked Big Mac. The work horse slammed his hoof into the beast’s muzzle, sending the monster flying. Dang! I knew Big Mac was strong, but to see him in action was something else. The monster recovered from being flung into a nearby tree and growled low at Big Mac.

“Ya stay away from her, ya hear?” Big Mac said, lowering his head into a fighting stance. “Ah’ve faced off Timberwolves that were scarier than you!”

The beast was about to tackle Big Mac again, but I pulled out Blackbird in the span of a millisecond, shooting it in the leg. The beast howled in pain and fell several feet away from Big Mac. Then it looked at its hurt leg, snarled at me, and took off deeper into the woods.

Big Mac ran to Fluttershy, his eyes betraying his worry. “That thing didn’t hurt ya did he?”

Fluttershy pressed her head into Big Mac’s chest. The large stallion gently held the shy pegasus in his forelegs. “It was so scary! I haven't seen such a scary creature since Nightmare Moon.”

“Shh,” Big Mac said, gently stroking her back, “he’s gone now. Private, and ah gave 'em somethin' to remember us by.”

I looked towards the direction the beast had escaped in. For some reason I couldn’t shake the feeling I’ve seen it before, and the way it was flung about….

It was like it didn’t know how to handle its own body…