• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 2,046 Views, 27 Comments

A silver lining - Chaz1029



Derpy's life hasn't always been so easy. Can The Doctor help this?

  • ...
2
 27
 2,046

Clouds are coming

It's been a week since the Doctor and I awkwardly met in the middle of the forest. We have really been 'hitting it off'. He has been staying at my house each night and he is still sleeping on the couch. I really like it having another pony in my life. It makes me feel less alone. this is the happiest I have been in 3 years.

I have been 'granted permission' to call the Doctor "doc". I think he likes it when I call him that. I've seen him blush, heavily a few times when I say his name.

He and I go for walks every day in the park. We talk, sit down, have lunch and do almost everything together. No other ponies take notice of us two which is nice. I don't feel like any attention except from him.

We have really gotten close in the past few days.

I think that I like him, like really like him. I think he likes me too. I made up my mind that when he comes downstairs for breakfast I’ll tell him how I feel.

I got breakfast ready and this time I didn't burn any! Doc showed me a few tricks to make sure I didn't burn anything anymore.

When he came down stairs he said with his normal cheery voice "Good morning Ditzy!" like he always does. I felt myself blush when I heard his voice.

"Hey Doc! How did you sleep?" I replied in my morning voice. I turned to face him and was greeted with his handsome, warm smile. I smiled in return.

"What's for breakfast Ditzy?" He said pulling me in for my good morning hug.

I melted a bit inside, I don't know why but his hugs are different from any other pony's. They're almost, warmer.

After a long, quiet hug I replied with a simple "toast!" flapping my wings a bit. I was excited because I usually burn it, but this time I got it on the first go.

We sat down at that small circular island in the middle of the kitchen. We sat across from each other like we have done for the past week. I stared at him and his eyes; they were as blue as the sky, strange because he is an earth pony and not a pegasai. I've never seen any other pony with deeper eyes than his. I sat and contemplated about when I should tell him, the more I thought about it the more my heart raced and the more I blushed. I finally decided, In the park for our morning walk, that's when. It's nice there, outside, usually quiet. Perfect. I started to think how I should tell him about my feelings; I became more and more nervous as time passed.

I must have been day dreaming because it was about a minute later that Doc interrupted my thoughts.

"Uhh, Ditzy? you ok?" He said waving a hoof in front of my wall-eyed face.

"Wh...wha...what? Oh, ye...yeah, fine! I’ll get the toast!" I said slowly coming back to reality.

"Ah, ok thank you"

I went over to the bench and grabbed the plate of toast. I set the golden toast on the plate. I picked the butter from the fridge and spread the butter on the toast. I turned back to the fridge to get the zap apple jam.

Usually by the time I turn back to the toast, the butter would have melted. This time it didn't. I checked the toast with my hoof. Stone cold. I must have dozed off for well over a minute.

Oops.

I grabbed another two pieces of toast and carefully put them in the toaster, making sure that they were perfectly in the middle of the slots.

I pressed the bar down slowly.

The red light flicked on and I knew that I was safe, job done!

I turned back to the Doctor and sat back down at the table. We talked about his life and what he did. I didn't really listen; I just liked to watch him talk.

I drifted off into my thoughts about the Doctor. This was common for me to do. I did it often in the past week. I didn't do this to any other pony but Doc was different. I liked him. A lot.

"umm, Ditzy...The toast is on fire" The Doctor said waving a hoof in front of my blank face. He pointed to the smoking toaster.

"Wh...wha...what? Oh" I looked behind me and saw the black smoke rising from inside the toaster. "Ahh!" I screamed rushed over and popped the toast up. Black. It crumbled in my hooves. I turned back to Doc and said with a cheesy smile "sorry Doc, looks like we'll be going out for breakfast"

"Oh, ok. Better get going then!" He said in his funny trottingham voice.

We set out to go into town. It was a cloudy day in Ponyville. There were a lot of big clouds covering the light blue sky, blocking out the sun. It wasn't raining but it looked as if it might do later in the day. I shrugged and started to walk down the road towards Ponyville.

I led him to the local cafe in the middle of a very busy Ponyville. We sat down at the table and ordered our breakfast. I had a dandelion sandwich and Doc had a bowl of hay.

We ate our breakfast in peace and talked about a lot of different things. Mostly about his life though. I didn't doze off like I did usually, I really wanted to have a conversation, and I needed to tell him something.

We finished our breakfast, paid and went into the park for our daily walk. The ark was quiet today, only four or five ponies walking around. This was nice; it made everything seem more private.

We stopped at a bench and started to talk. He thanked me again for giving him a place to stay and a couch to sleep on. I turned down my ears and faced away to blush. "It's ok Doc" Is all I managed to say.

I needed to tell him about my feelings, but I couldn't mouth the words. Every time that I would start to say it I would freeze up and become stiff. The butterflies in my stomach weren’t helping either.

I had to tell him soon otherwise it would be too late.

I thought to myself ‘Ditzy, you can't let this go. This may be your only chance. You have to tell him. Now or never’

I opened my mouth to speak.