• Published 23rd Oct 2012
  • 2,693 Views, 51 Comments

Star Wars: The Old Republic- Conflicting Elements - Barrobroadcaster



In a galaxy divided between darkness and light, a discovery is made that may change the war forever.

  • ...
4
 51
 2,693

Fireworks

Voss, six days ago

The grenade exploded, nearly knocking Sargent Brazon Exter off his feet. "Man down! Someone get me a medic!" Republic Commander Carvin shouted over the comms channel. "Someone tag that sniper!" He shouted again. Exter hunkered down behind a fallen log. He'd seen the sniper behind a tree in the distance. His entire squad was pinned on the side of the road with Imperial snipers firing at them from the treeline overlooking them. His squadmates exchanged fire with shadowy figures just out of reach, behind a boulder the Voss VIP they'd been sent to escort was propped up, orange blood pooling in the corner of his mouth. "Where is that damn Jedi?!" The Commander shouted again.

Exter knew where that sniper was but he couldn't hit him without exposing himself. Another explosion scattered dust into the air. He didn't breath, he rolled, bringing his rifle to bear and aiming out of cover right to where he'd seen the sniper. He pulled the trigger quickly and then continued to roll behind another log that was nearby. A bolt grazed the edge of the log just as he passed it. He flattened himself into the ground, trying to become almost one with the dirt. "Sniper's down!" one his squadmates shouted into the comms. Two other troopers tossed their own grenades into the trees, turning several of them and the soldiers behind them into a wall of flames. "I don't see any other movement. How's the VIP?" Commander Carvin asked. "He's hurt real bad. I'm not familiar with Voss anatomy, I don't know if he's even concious." the medic said, holding the VIP's head. "This is Republic Squad Donair 1138 to Voss HQ we require a medevac our current position is..." The Commander began calling into his holocomm. Just then an Imperial shocktrooper, who had somehow survived the explosion crawled his way over to the squad's position, got up, holding a primed thermal detonator.

Before the squad could react, a flash of coherent heat and light decapitated the trooper, his helmeted head spinnning through the air before colliding with a rock. The thermal detonator flew in the opposite direction and expoloded, showering the area with smoke. The headless body collapsed slowly on the ground as the form of a Jedi holding a saberstaff appeared almost from thin air. The troopers didn't lower their rifles but the commander did. Exter watched the display, still in shock. "What kept you?" Carvin asked the new arrival. "I apologize for the delay. How is the initiate?" the Jedi asks calmly despite the bloody display that had just occured. "He'll be dead if we don't get him some medical attention soon." Carvin says matter-of-factly. "I'm not trained in Voss anatomy, all I can do is spread some kolto on his wounds. He doesn't speak Basic but he's muttering something." the medic says as the Jedi walks over. The Voss's mouth was moving but Brazon wasn't close enough to hear anything. He kept his rifle ready.

The Jedi knelt down to him, placing a hand on his chest. "Don't wake me up." the Jedi says. "That's what he's saying?" Commander Carvin asks. "Yes, he's repeating it over and over." "What does it mean?" "I do not know. Regardless, we must secure him medical transport at once." Just as the Jedi had announced that, Sargent Brazon spied a dropship in the distance. He let out a sigh of relief that must've been heard by everyone in his squad over the comms channel. "Shuttle in bound!" He said. As the figure came close, he could make out that it was two shuttles. And they weren't Republic. His heart immediately sank. "Wait, Imp dropships inbound!"
he called to his squad. He turned to the rest of his squad who were already getting back into cover. The Jedi was no where to be seen.

The two dropships settled down just outside rifle range. Shocktroops poured out of the sides of them and took up position throughout the treeline. A Sith walked between two of the shuttles and clasped his hands behind his back. "Republic Squad Donair 1138, we've recieved your distress transmission and are here to render assistance. Please deliver the Voss initiate, step out into the field and prepare to die." The Sith announced in a plain tone. Brazon gripped his rifle but for some reason he didn't think he'd be needing it. He was right.

Outskirts of Ponyville, same time

Explosions were seen high in the sky above Ponyville. The night sky lit up and the smell of smoke filled the air. Every building was bathed in bright light in an instant before the blast faded. "Wow, there goes another one!" Pinkie Pie said, watching the fireworks. "How do they get them to change color like that?" she asked. "Hmm, I don't know if it's magic or something they put in the rockets Pinkie." Twilight says, pondering the fireworks. "All I know is it makes it hard to fly for a few hours after they do this." Rainbow Dash remarks, her hooves folded as she floated just off the ground. "I don't see what the big deal is about. I can light up the daytime sky. And who do you think's gonna have to clean up all that mess off the clouds?"

"Nopony lights up the sky like you Rainbow Dash but for now, let's let them have fun with their display?" Rarity said, calming her friend. As the next rocket exploded, Rainbow slowly allowed herself to enjoy the colorful bursts of light. "I tell ya, events like this sure bring out the customers. Guess all these lights and smoke makes ponies hungry." Applejack said trotting over, having just closed her sales stall. "We're not just setting off a bunch of fireworks AJ. This is Founder's Day, the day the original Equestrian settlements were founded." Twilight explained.

"Isn't that Hearth's Warming Eve?" Applejack asked. "Hearth's Warming Eve celebrates the day the three tribes made peace but Founder's day celebrates the day the Ponyville, Cloudsdale and Canterlot were founded themselves." "But wait, the tribes were practically at war durin that time! Who'd want to celebrate then?" Applejack asked, skeptical. "There's always some kind of conflict going on in somepony's life at the time. Sometimes you have to ignore those things and just celebrate. They moved the date of the holiday shortly after to coincide with some renovations that were made on Ponyville." Twilight said as she watched the fireworks. "I guess that makes sense. I bet they found out those fireworks work better when it ain't snowing too." Applejack said, lying down in the grass.

Twilight heard some leaves rustling and turned to see Fluttershy watching the fireworks cautiously from behind a bush. "What are you doing Fluttershy?" Twilight asked. "Oh, I was making sure all the forest creatures weren't scared by the noise and lights. You don't think we could ask them to turn them down do you?" Fluttershy asked timidly. "They don't work like that Fluttershy." Twilight said with a smile. Twilight followed Fluttershy behind the bush as another explosion startled her. "It's all right Fluttershy, we're not in danger here." "Oh, I know, there's just plenty to see over here is all." Fluttershy said, leaning into the bush and looking up at the stars. "You think creatures on other planets can see our fireworks?" Fluttershy asked Twilight. "I don't think so. Other planets are so far away and even with my best telescope, I haven't seen any fireworks in their skies." Twilight said, joining Fluttershy in stargazing. "What do you think other planets are like Twilight?" Fluttershy asked. "I don't know Fluttershy. I've never been to any."
"Do you think they have holidays and parties like we do?" "Well, if there are Star Ponies out there somewhere I'm sure they do." Twilight answered her friend. They both leaned back into the shrubbery and watched the sky as the sound of the fireworks finale filled the background.