• Published 22nd Oct 2012
  • 1,198 Views, 27 Comments

The Telescope - PieDisliker



One telescope in the hands of a non-brony. It's a one of a kind, and able to show Equestria.

  • ...
2
 27
 1,198

The Show

It didn’t take me very long to find an episode on YouTube. Apparently some shows actually don’t always get taken down due to copyright claims. I suppose that’s good news for me. I just hope this show’s half as good as that telescope was. I don’t want to end up gagging from a show that’s unrealistically cheesy.

I suppose I ought to start from the beginning. I search for “My Little Pony Episode 1" and quickly click on the video. Seems like this one is a two-part episode.

Once upon a time... in the magical land of Equestria...

Oh god, I’ve seen these types of openers before. I’ve got a feeling this won’t end well.



Well, that went better than expected. I just finished watching the first two episodes and actually enjoyed them a bit. I even recognized some of the ponies from the telescope. I think I’ll watch a few more episodes to get an idea of what went on in Ponyville. I need to learn as much as I can to make sense of that thing.

Gurgle rumble...

Okay, maybe I should eat first… I check the clock and notice it’s 1:30 PM. Guess that’s a time as good as any to take care of that whole “feeding myself” ordeal.

I walk up to the cabinet I keep my Hot Pockets in. I’m feeling a bit lazy today and don’t quite feel like cooking. I sure can make a mean meatloaf, but a couple Hot Pockets will settle me for now. I open the box and throw those bad boys in the microwave. Around a minute and I’ll be chowing down on some cheese and pepperoni. I suppose that’s enough time for me to find a new episode to watch.

I check my laptop and look for another episode, hopefully one a bit less girly than what I’ve seen prior. I scan through the episode guide on Wikipedia. Hurricane Fluttershy. Now that seems promising.

I search up the title, click on the video, voila! I pause it and leave it to buffer. It got in the way a little bit last time, which annoyed me to no end. Right in the middle of Pinkie Pie’s song, too.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! Alright, hot pockets are done. I check up on them and almost burn my hand. I bring them back and start the episode, waiting for them to cool off.



Okay, I’m a little lost for words right now. I saw another three episodes, but I think I need to stop for a bit after this last one. Hurricane Fluttershy was pretty cool, I loved the idea of pegasi forming a tornado while flying at ridiculous speeds. Hearts and Hooves Day made me laugh throughout the entire episode, which was a nice change of pace for a Valentine’s Day themed episode… but neither of them compare to the last one I just watched.

Family Appreciation Day has my grandmother written all over it. Granny Smith has got to be my favorite character throughout the entire show. When’s the last time I’ve cried? It’s difficult to for me remember, but my shorts have a few tear stains on them. They weren’t there before that episode started.

My relationship with my grandmother was a lot like Apple Bloom’s relationship with Granny Smith. Like… nearly identical, aside from the fact that I didn’t live with her. I’m happy that Apple Bloom realized there was so much more to Granny Smith than being a “kooky old lady,” though I wish I realized that when I was a child. My grandmother embarrassed me quite a bit, always wearing her frilly dresses and having her strange collections… she even has a parasol to go with a few of her outfits...... yeah, she was pretty over the top.

Still, I didn’t spend as much time with her as I should have. Behind that “kooky old lady” was a person, a person like me. She wasn’t always out to embarrass me, she was there for me to capitalize on my future and get the best out of life. I should have been there for her more.

No. She wouldn’t have wanted me to act this way. That’s why she sent me this gift. She loves me, and I love her. Maybe another look through that telescope is in order.

I guide the scope across Ponyville, looking for the farm in particular. It didn’t take me very long to find it, with the barn being such a huge indicator. You couldn’t miss that barn if it camouflaged with the scenery behind it. Surrounding the farm were loads of apple trees, too many to count, just like in the show. They looked exactly the same, too.

Come to think of it, after actually watching the show, this scenery is strikingly similar to it. The ponies looked exactly the same, and the backgrounds had the same storyboard-looking feel to them. It was almost as if I was watching another episode, except not being able to hear anyone…err--anypony. The trees were apple-shaped, and the apples were different sizes when looked at from a far distance.

And now as I have zoomed in, the perspective changed once again. I was up and close, and I could see the branches and the details on the spine. The apples looked much more like apples as well, not simply red circles on a tree. I’m thinking that the creators of the show must’ve provided some help with this thing.

I take this moment to get away from the telescope. I can’t stand it any further. I search on the internet for “My Little Pony Telescope” and “Ponyville Telescope.” No matter how far I scroll down, I don’t see anything related to the device I have. How is this possible? This is way too detailed to be made by anyone but someone who worked on the show.

Perhaps maybe… nah, that’d be ridiculous. That would be something that could only be imagined… but evidence is starting to lean in its favor.

I check back to the telescope and zoom out a little, readjusting the clarity to find Apple Bloom and her two friends playing out on the farm. Call me crazy all you want, but I think this might just be able to view the actual My Little Pony world. I know I’m probably wrong and will be proved wrong later, but at least I can go by that theory for now, silly as it sounds.

My thoughts are interrupted by the sight of none other than Granny Smith walking out of the barn. She’s yelling. I can’t tell exactly, but- oh, the kids are coming towards the barn. I guess she’s calling them in for some reason, like inviting them over for a meal, just like when I was young and my mom invited my friends to come inside and eat with us… and occasionally my other friends’ parents inviting myself in. Maybe we aren’t too different, us people and those ponies. I sure could get used to this thing. Looking at it’s pretty enjoyable. I’m glad I found it.

Then it hit me. I run over to the phone and dial a special number.

“Hey, dad. It’s me, Jimmy.”

“What’s going on, Jimmy? It’s been a few days since you last called me.”

“You’re not busy, are you?”

“Not at the moment, no. Why?”

“I was wondering if you could tell me one of your stories about grandma.”