• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 2,131 Views, 19 Comments

A friend for nothing - Meliane Snapdragon



Luna is finally free to explore the world. But something is wrong with her night sky.

  • ...
1
 19
 2,131

Chapter 1

Freedom. Glorious, glorious freedom. After weeks of nursing, cajoling and incessant fussing. Princess Luna was finally given a clean bill of health, both physically and mentally. And now, with her sister's blessing, she was free to go quench her thirst for wanderlust. She had a world to explore, Cites to scout and villages to visit. Tia was even ready to take all of her days off to tour Equestria,incognito, with her dearest sister.

Luna was touch by her big sister's love and devotion to her, even after a 1000 years. But...that's not what she needed.

What she needed, was her canvas, the night sky itself.

Her sister had frowned when Luna had express her wish to play among the stars, but didn't say anything. Even when Luna requested to go alone in her journey, she stayed silent. Only her rigidity could show her uneasiness toward her younger sister's latest endeavour. Predictably Celestia still viewed her sister like a poor and temporarily displaced foal. It didn't help that Luna still looked like one at the moment.

But even faced with her sister reluctance and fear that she may become antisocial, the great sea of stars was wailing to her. Like a wounded child crying for it's mother. And Luna, like any good mother, couldn't ignore her most important of duty. Yes, raising the moon was important, but tending to her night sky was vital.

And so, Luna was now free from duty for about a year or so.
___________________________________________________________________________________

She was ecstatic.

She couldn't help herself from screaming ''Spaaaace'' at the top of her lungs, Feeling the vacuum of nothingness emptying her body of oxygen.
Oh! how she missed the utter lack of atmospheric presence, the absolute silence.

But. Somehow, it felt...Wrong...Corrupted.

Hurt.

Flaring her senses and magic, she began to scry her domain for any sign of anomaly.

'Mayhaps, it is only a star who died during my absence'

She was prepared to filled the void left by the miniature sun. A simple maintenance job that nopony would ever noticed being done. But! A black hole, even at the fringe of the universe, could spell disaster. Not unlike the ultimate result of a hole in a wool sweater, or even worse, socks.

But she wasn't prepare for what she found.

It was dark... foreboding...alien.



*ALONE and LEAVE I

US suffer ALONE
IN endlessly DARKNESS*



She felt, more then hear foreboding voices that ignited a primal fear. But among the maelstrom of vicious intent, a small light of longing seemed to weakly call out to the alicorn, separate from the cloud of shadows and fear. Reaching to her...

All went dark.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________


Black broken eldritch lines filled Luna's vision, seemingly preventing a red and black atmosphere from penetrating the area she was in...Wherever that area was.

At first glance it looked empty, almost dead somehow. Not unlike...

'...The moon! Is this... a place of banishment?'

She looked around the perimeter of this morbid prison, afraid of whom or what it contained.

If her observation held a smidgen of truth...

' Nay. We shan't think of this grim future. 'Once thing thought can and will happen. 'As mother used to say . We shall return to our sister at once, she must know whom is serving penance.'

She was about to depart when a presence made itself known.

who.

A simple word... Concept really was broadcast mentally into Luna's mind. Immediately causing her brain to send her own definition of herself. The princess of the Night was laid bare to whomever the entity was.

She turned around to face whatever dared to scan her mind, ready to unleash the power of her Royal ire upon the poor foal. No on attack a Princess and lives!

But the words died in her throat.

A great Behemoth, white as snow stained with rivulet of blood loomed ominously over the pale blue alicorn, it's single blood red eye full of mistrust warily following her every move, a pair of paper like wings with the tip dipped in blood lazily swaying back and forth, on top of its bulbous head/body was a golden halo giving off a little light in this glum environment.

Luna couldn't help herself in front of such a grotesque monstrosity.

'' SQUEEEEEEE!''

The princess of the night squealed, loud and clear in the Royal Canterlot voice. For, you see. Luna has always loved the Macabre. Unfortunately cementing her reputation as a boogeymare. made worse when she became the Evil Mare in the Moon. But the fact of the matter is that she absolutely adores all that is considered 'dark' and 'scary'.

And that was the epitome of all thing she loved.

While Luna was absolutely delighted, the creature was not.

It's last encounter with small and colorful beings coming from outside ended in a painful fragmentation that took, well... A long time to undo. Even to this day the reason behind the attack was as mysterious as it's attacker.

But the primary scan showed no ill will toward it, except when the,,,Pony, princess, black-blue-with-white-spots thingy noticed it's presence.

And then it became confusing.

Rage changed to...Well something weird. The little-thing-thats-actually-a-big-blue-thing was not emanating righteous fury anymore, more like...absolute adoration? Not even the dark matters born from it's tears gave it this feeling of...fuzzwarmth at it's core.

It was intriguing...but also very nice.

Suddenly an Image of something round, whit, big and glowing over a black blue background entered it's mind. Quickly, it refocused its attention on this weird little creature. Her mouth looked like it was moving but no noise was reaching its auditory membrane...Wait, noise? Her? Where did those notions comes from? Then it dawn to it. These were her thoughts coming through an incomplete mind link.

Its rumination were interrupted by a shift in the atmosphere . then, sound.

''Can thou hear us?''

!!!

It never 'heard' noise, let alone voice in it's dimension of silence. So it was unsure as to how to answer it.
It could feel pony princess getting impatient. And so it tried the only way it knew. Repeating what it heard through the link .

I can hear.

This answer seemed to please the ponyunicornpegasus. She spoke again.

''Wonderful. Our name is Princess Luna, We art one of the co-ruler of Equestria and Keeper of the moon and the night sky. Please forgive our lack of decorum when meeting thee.''

Each new words brought forth a new image and feeling, it was now somewhat easier to understand what Luna was. She was all that was the night. She was also wary of what she had discovered and embarrassed by her reaction.

''Who art thou. If We may be bold enough to ask? And why art thou in isolation?''

The voice of the Princess of the Moon was unwavering. But mistrust could be felt coming in wave from the tiny ruler. It knew that feeling, it was experiencing it at that very moment. But it knew that she would not hurt it, it's power had grew since the last time its body erode. And so it answer the best it could.

other version of nothing. not first. first destroyed by affection affection stick. second version. I. fragmented. not destroyed by crystal. now here. dark matter protect me. dark matter...only other. always alone. hurt. but safe.

''And why, pray tell, where you destroyed by this 'Affection affection stick'?