• Published 12th Oct 2012
  • 3,604 Views, 36 Comments

The First Twilight - darkforce95



Twilight Sparkle meets the first mediator between the two princesses of the heavens.

  • ...
12
 36
 3,604

5 - The Empire Part 1

The air was thick with mist and smelled of death. Twilight whirled her head around trying desperately to find someone. Husks littered the floor making it difficult to move around.

"Princess? Star Dusk? Where are you?" She called into the abyss. As if in answer, the fog rolled back revealing a blood stained warrior in the center. The blood dripped from his finger tips of his left hand as he heaved heavy breaths. The sclera of his eyes were pitch black with magical energy flowing out of the outer corners and his pupils were narrowed, focused on his last opponent. The blood soaked man held it by the throat in his right hand as it spat and thrashed at the restraint. His look sent shivers down Twilight's spine. He had so much hatred in those eyes.

"_______, please... stop...." called a weak voice from the side. Twilight turned and saw a blood soaked woman. All blood seemed to be hers, exiting a wound in her chest and she seemed like someone Twilight had seen before. "_______, no more... you must escape. You must worry more about ____________. Leave!" she pleaded with the combatant. Twilight tried to clear her ears in order to hear the clearly blanked out words. Suddenly came a loud crack from the fighter and Twilight saw that he snapped its neck. All of a sudden there was a terrible howl and a familiar buzzing noise coming from all around. Once Twilight focused back on the young woman she seemed to be trying to comfort the knight who was now by her side, his eyes seeming more regular and tears streaming down his face.

"It's okay... ________ and ____ can take care of everything in our stead. However, I forsee great peril if you are absent from their side. I know it may come as a shock to hear your relationship with them was not as it seemed. But you must put that aside and be the balance between ___and_____. You must be their twilight."

Twilight jumped at the mention of her name but settled down quickly after realising the true implication of the word.

"Please do not shead tears for us _________. We.... We are so... proud of.... you..." The woman's eyes closed and her chest ceased to rise. The warrior hugged the body close, trembling sharply before snapping his head back to let out a pained howl that rivaled the one before it.


Twilight woke with a start and quickly whipped her head around the room. She relaxed seeing her room around her. That dream was so vivid... Wait... What was it about? Twilight rubbed her head trying to coax the memory back. I wonder if it's for the best that I don't remember. She shivered remembering the feeling of the dream even if the details did not come to her.

"TWILIGHT!!" called Spike running up the stairs to her room.

"What is it Spike?"

"A letter from the Princess!" he said hurriedly. "It looks real important!"


Star Dusk came in the library humming a little tune.

"Oh where are my quills?" called Twilight running past him a number of times.

"Hey there partner." welcomed Applejack, motioning him to join her and the other four friends present.

"What's up! Had a good session over at Vinyl's?" asked Rainbow Dash. "Any thing you can show us?"

Star Dusk shook his head. "Octavia seems intent on teaching me all the basics before I get to write anything. I understand her point of view but I really wish she would at least give me some writing practice as well."

"You'll get there eventually darling." reassured Rarity.

"Yes, I know. I just wish we could get through these basics a bit faster. It's already been 6 months after all..."

"Some people take a lifetime to become good at singing or an instrument. Don't get discouraged so soon." reassured Fluttershy.

"Yeah! You know we'll go see you in concert and everything!" asserted Pinkie Pie. Star Dusk blushed in embaressment.

"Concert? It's a bit too soon for that Pinkie Pie. Anyway enough about me, what's with her?" he said motioning towards the overly excited magi.

"Apparently she has a test with Princess-"

"HEY! STAR DUSK!" interrupted Twilight. "You need to be getting ready too! The test is for both of us! GASP Flashcards! I need flashcards!" She continued running around the library

"She's taking it well.... considering." pointed out AJ.

"Twilight Sparkle, you can't seriously be this wound up because of a test." said the knight. Twilight stopped in her tracks and slowly turned to Star Dusk. Her friends slowly vacated the area around him.

"Just a test?" she began slowly, "Just a test!? Princess Celestia wants to give me some kind of exam and you're trying to tell me to calm down because it's just a test?!"

"Well yes, I don't believe it's anything to fret-"

He was levitated and pinned to the bookshelves by a rather powerful magic spell.

"Whoa boy, looks like she's gonna pop a blood vessel!" cried Spike taking cover in some pillows with the others following suit around the library.

Twilight slowly walked to the restrained man and softly put her hand to his face. Her bangs were covering her eyes from his view.

"Star Dusk, we're friends right?"

"Yes..." he answered suspiciously.

"And friends help other friends out right?"

"Yes......."

"And friends especially help their friends out when both friends are going to see the Princess and face the same challenge together, riiiiiiiiiiight?" Twilight finally showed her now narrowed beady eyes with a twitchy Cheshire grin to the warrior, stress showing across her face, and used both hands to slowly drag her fingers across either side of the collar of his shirt.

"Oddly specific but, I would believe so yes."

"Then...." she said, taking grip of the collar, "GET READY FOR US TO GO TAKE THAT TEST!!!" she tossed him over her shoulder, magic assisting a bit in the weight, and toward the open door leading to his room. There was a loud crash letting everyone know he landed.

"AND WE'LL DO IT, TOGETHER!!" She finished posing triumphantly.

"Got it...." came the weak reply from the basement.


"Excuse us..." Said Twilight walking into the throne room with Star Dusk carrying her giant sized backpack in tow.

"Then at least trust him, Little Sister. Like you trust me." Celestia said to Luna as she was walking out.

Luna shoot a look at Twilight before turning to Star Dusk.

"Please keep your eyes on her and help in anyway you can." she told him.

"Of course, your highness. As you wish." he replied without hesitation and a bit of confusion, as if there was any doubt he would follow her commands. A look of pity shot across both Princesses' faces momentarily and Twilight's heart sunk.

Great... Before I can even write my name on THIS test, he goes ahead and shows that I'm failing at the other task they assigned me... Twilight thought. Luna continued on out of the throne room and Twilight quickly attempted to change the subject.

"You wanted to see us? To give us a test? I brought my own quills. And plenty of paper to show my work." she said grabbing and shaking the backpack, nearly causing Star Dusk to lose his balance. A roll of parchment fell and rolled out to the foot of Celestia.

"Sorry! Sorry!" she said trying to roll up the parchment. Celestia levitated the parchment and rolled it up.

"This is a different kind of test. The Crystal Empire has returned." she stated handing Twilight her scroll. Star Dusk eyes became as wide as dinner plates and he only just caught his jaw from going completely slack.

"The Crystal Empire? I'm sorry, I-I thought I'd studied." Twilight said as she pulled on the pack again causing Star Dusk to fall to the floor. "Ooh. I don't think there's anything in any of my books that could tell me.... Star Dusk, help me out here!"

"There wouldn't be any information in those books." he said standing up, relinquishing the backpack to the floor, and turning toward her. "Few remember it ever existed at all. My knowledge of the empire is severely limited. But if I recall correctly, it contains a powerful magic. One thousand years ago, King Sombra, a magi whose heart was black as night, took over the Crystal Empire. He was ultimately overthrown, turned to shadow and banished to the ice of the arctic north. Or at least that's what I remember..."

"That's correct. It's good to see that your memory has not failed you." complimented Celestia to Twilight's chagrin. "But before he was banished, he was able to put a curse upon the empire. A curse that caused it to vanish into thin air." She moved to a crystal underneath some glass and picked it up.

"Another legend stated that if the empire is filled with hope and love, those things are reflected across all of Equestria." continued Star Dusk as Celestia used her magic on the crystal creating a rainbow of colors floating around the room. The effect amazed both of the 'testers'.

"Correct again Star Dusk. However," Celestia added with dark intent. "If hatred and fear take hold..." Her eyes went black with magical energy spilling out the sides in sinister fashion. Twilight froze in her tracks remembering a piece her dream from the other day. The look made her blood run cold.

The crystal then cast a shadow across the room causing dark crystals to grow wherever the shadow touched. The shadow raced toward Twilight but before it could reach her, Celestia ceased unleashing her magic and Star Dusk stepped in front of Twilight and controlled a cold wind to slice through and destroy all the crystals as the shadow moved back.

"This is why I need both your help finding a way to protect it." Celestia finished putting the crystal back in its resting place.

"You want us to protect an entire empire?" asked Twilight with wonder.

"It would be a grand undertaking, your highness." added Star Dusk though not with worry.

"As I said, it will be a different kind of test." Celestia reassured. "Although it is one I am sure you both will pass."

"How do we begin?" asked Star Dusk.

"By joining Princess Cadence and Shining Armor in the Crystal Empire"

"Who-"

"My brother is there?" Twilight asked excitedly.

"He is."

"And who-"

"And your Ponyville friends will join you there as well. I have every confidence you will succeed. And when you do, I'll know you are ready to move on to the next level of your studies, Twilight." Star Dusk sighed and moved toward Twilight's back back to pick it up.

"But what if I fail."

"You won't" said Star Dusk heaving the backpack onto his shoulders. "I won't let that happen."

"But what if-"

"You won't." reassured Celestia. "But Twilight, in the end, it must be you and you alone who ultimately assists Princess Cadence and Shining Armor in doing what needs to be done to protect the empire. Star Dusk's task is only to assist you. Do you understand?"

"Y-Yes." stammered Twilight. Star Dusk nodded in agreement.

"Then go. There is no time to lose!"


The train ride had been quiet as both Twilight and Dusk had been focus on planning their respective roles in this task.... separately.

"I think we need to do something." suggested Rarity. The others nodded in agreement and split to the two of them. Rarity, Pinkie, and Fluttershy going to Twilight at the front of the car and Applejack and Rainbow Dash to the back with Dusk.

"Twilight, darling, can we talk?" asked Rarity.

"Yea-huh...." said Twilight distracted by her notes.

"Umm... since both of you are taking this test... don't you think you need to talk with Star Dusk?" suggested Fluttershy.

"It'll be fine. After we talk with Shining Armor and Princess Cadence, we'll solidify all the plans. He's only helping me out after all. Not all too complicated." she replied matter-of-factly.

Pinkie wanted to say something witty to draw Twilight out, but she saw the brick wall in front of the hyper-focused Twilight. They looked at each other then looked back to see if the other two were doing any better. Rainbow motioned excitedly for the others to come down once they made eye contact.

Soon the pleading noises from the back of the car were too loud for Twilight to ignore.

"Okay, what's going on back here." She asked walking back.

"Oh, Twilight! Star Dusk says he's written a bit of a song behind Octavia's back! We just wanna listen to it!" said Pinkie excitedly.

"C'mon man, you were already humming a couple notes when we got back here." coaxed Rainbow.

"For the last time, no. It's not done and besides, it's not all that good anyway." he said with a sense of finality.

"Gasp, Twilight! He has to help you out right? Can you ask him to sing it?" asked Pinkie with her nose nearly touching Twilight's.

"It's not really about the task so I dunno..." All her friends looked to her for at least an attempt.

"Sigh Fine. Star Dusk, so they can focus on the task at hand, can you sing whatever part you have completed?"

"Not important to the task at hand." he said plainly.

"I tried." Her friends push her back toward him.

"SIGH Please?" she asked disinterestedly. "If they don't focus then it will be important to the task at hand. Plus we still have a couple extra minutes before we get there anyway."

Star Dusk looked back at the party for the first time. He sighed, seeing no way out of his predicament, and hummed the tune he had been working on. After the first couple bars, the girls' eyes widened as they recognized the old tune followed by a new addition. Then the lyrics came in:

When danger makes me wanna hide, you'll Rainbow Dash to my side,

Kindness is never in short supply, once smitten twice Fluttershy.

For honesty nobody can deny, you are the Applejack of my eye,

A heart that shines so beautiful, a Rarity to come by

And you all make fun and laughter as easy as Pinkie Pie!

He continued his way humming the rest of the song to it's conclusion. Everyone there was dumbfounded.

"That was amazing!" said Fluttershy breaking the silence. "You took that old piece and added a bit extra with some lyrics."

"That's mostly why I didn't want to share. Not really an original work."

"Well, it's original enough. Ya got all of us in there!" Applejack commented.

"And a perfect match to our elements too. That is impressive!" complimented Rarity.

Everyone except me. What, nothing rhymes with Twilight? I bet I could think of at least a couple of things. And magic is not all that hard to write about.... Wait, that's not important. Stop worrying about the little things Twilight. You have a test to pass!

The train whistled and came to a stop. Everyone filed out of the car to the frozen artic.

"How're we supposed to find the Empire in this blizzard" yelled Applejack over the howling winds.

"Wait! Someone's coming!" said Star Dusk seeing a figure wrapped in what seemed like rags and wearing some strange eye protectors.

"Twilight!" the figure called out removing the eye wear and part of the rag covering his nose and mouth.

"Shining Armor?" responded the excited little sister.

"Twily! You made it!" he responded hugging his sister. He turned to the see a face he didn't recognize. Before either man could say anything there was a loud growl across the land. "Introductions can wait for later. We have to get moving. There are things out here we really don't want to run into after dark."

"What kind of things?" asked Star Dusk.

"Talking later," uninterrupted Fluttershy running forward, "Running now!"

Everyone turned to see a cloud of black smoke rushing forward and a loud roar.

"RUN!" Shining Armor cried out and everyone ran in the direction he came from.

The smoke seemed to envelop everything as it chased them down.

"What is it?" asked Star Dusk looking back at the slowly advancing cloud.

"It keeps trying to get in! We think it's the old magi that cursed this place!"

"But Princess Celestia said we were being sent here to find a way to protect the empire! If King Sombra can't get in, then it must already be protected." Twilight noted.

"We're nearly there!" pointed Shining Armor.

"Not enough time!" Star Dusk said standing his ground.

"Star Dusk, No!" called Rainbow back towards him.

Shining Armor turned back and joined the knight as the vapor howled at both of them.

Twilight and her friends ran on until they passed the barrier.

"Everyone... make it?" panted Twilight.

"Yeah, Ah think so..." responded Applejack.

Suddenly both Star Dusk and Shining Armor were thrown through the barrier. Star Dusk seemed to block whatever blow hit them both.

"Shining Armor! Are you okay?" asked Twilight worriedly. Black electricity ran across his body stemming from the black crystal formations covering his hands.

"It's fine. I'll be okay." he responded. "Just no magic anytime soon."

"So this is the Crystal Empire." commented Star Dusk looking at the land ahead of them. A beautiful crystal city lay before them. Everyone save for Shining Armor was awestruck to some degree.

"I don't think we were introduced." said Shining Armor approaching him.

"We weren't. Busy times for knights, no?" Star Dusk responded with a smirk across his face.

"Star Dusk, behave!" scolded Twilight. "I'm sorry Shining Armor he-"

"I meant no ill will with my comment Twilight Sparkle." he interrupted. "I'm Star Dusk, one of Princess Luna's guards. I guess you're Shining Armor, Twilight Sparkle's brother?"

"Yes a pleasure.... has anyone ever told you that you look like Starshine Dust?"

"He-"

"Yeah, I get that a lot. You look like you got some guard training." Star Dusk said interrupting Twilight and starting to walk towards town.

"I used to be Captain of the Guard."

"Really? Tell me how that post was. It must have been fascinating."

The girls all looked at each other and shrugged before following them.


They walked into the castle at the center of the land, the two males still chatting away at their military experience. They moved into the throne room and Twilight ran ahead.

"Cadence!"

A clearly exhausted Princess Cadence looked up and smiled.

"Twilight!"

Sunshine, Sunshine, Ladybugs awake!

Clap your hands and do a little shake!

They laughed at their memory before Cadence winced in obvious pain.

"We really need to meet when the fate of the world isn't at hand." She said jokingly.

"Are you feeling okay."

"No, she's not... Cadence has been able to use her magic to spread love and light. That seems to be what is protecting it. But she hasn't slept, barely eats. I want to help her, but my protection spell has been countered by King Sombra." said Cadence's husband coming over to support her.

"I'm fine Shining Armor. Really..."

"No she's not. And both of us have been busy, Cadence with her barrier and me with scouting the arctic for threats. There hasn't been time to research anything on the crystal denizens."

"Crystal? Did you say crystal denizens? As in crystal people?" said Rarity excitedly.

"Focus Rarity." Applejack pointed out.

"Oh, ahem Please continue."

"One of the denizens must know how to protect the empire. Any way that we could do that without Cadence's magic would be best." finished Shining Armor looking worriedly at his wife.

"A research paper!" said Twilight excitedly. "That must be part of my test; to gather information from the crystal denizens and deliver it to you!"

"Uh... Twilight Sparkle, I don't believe-" began Star Dusk.

"This is gonna be great! I love research papers! Don't worry big brother I got this! Let's go interview the denizens girls!" she continued running out the door.

"Hey! What about me?" asked Star Dusk.

"Just keep an eye on Cadence, the barrier, and the boarder!" she called back.


After failing to gather any intel from the population of the empire, Applejack's information suggested to head to the library.

"All these books! There's just so many of them! I could spend days, months in here and still not read it all!" said a thoroughly impressed Twilight.

"Can I help you?" asked what seemed like the librarian coming up to them.

"Hi there, we're looking for a book!"

"We've got plenty of those."

"You do. You really do." Twilight replied in awe of the library once more. "Anyway, we're looking for a history book that might contain how the empire was protected way back in the day."

"History, history... um... oh yes! Of course we have that!"

"Great! Where is it?" asked Rainbow Dash impatiently.

"Oh, well... I don't quite recall..."

"That's fine." interrupted Twilight. "We can find it on our own. Thanks anyway!"

After an hour of searching the whole operation seemed to be coming to stand still.

"Anyone find anything?" asked Twilight sorting through a stack of books in front of her.

"Nothing yet." Applejack replied

"Ditto." said Rainbow.

"I found an awesome cookbook, does that count?" asked Pinkie.

"I doubt that food protected such a magnificent city as this, Pinkie." chided Rarity.

"I... um, no I didn't find anything either." finished Fluttershy.

"'The 'Crystal Faire', established by our first queen Serenade, has become our most important tradition. The Faire must be held every year to renew the spirit of love and unity throught the empire so we could protect our beloved kingdom from harm.'" came a quotation from between a set of bookshelves.

"Who's there!?" asked Rainbow Dash agressively. Star Dusk came out from around the corner with a book in hand labeled History of the Crystal Empire.

"It seems everything we need to set up this 'Crystal Faire' is in this book. Jousting competitions, crystal berry confections, hats, music with specific instruments.... yes it looks like everything is here. I think we can do this." he finished and closed the book.

"Alright Star Dusk!" cheered Rainbow as all the girls came over to view the book. Star Dusk manuvered his way out of the crowd towards Twilight who was less than pleased.

"How was that for a research paper?" he asked.

"I told you to watch Princess Cadence!" Twilight responded harshly but quietly so as not to worry her friends.

"I thought I was to help you. So since you were out doing interviews, I figured I'd come here to do some extra research to supplement your findings. I didn't expect that you would wind up empty handed. Either way, you can do all the planning from here. That's gonna be the harder part after all." he reasoned.

"What if Cadence collapses?" she rebuked. Now Star Dusk seemed offended.

"Okay one, I asked for permission to help you from both Princess Cadence and Shining Armor. Both said that I needed to help you any way I knew how. And two, I've been keeping my eye on the tower every fifteen minutes to make sure I can be there in a moments notice. So cut me some slack." he defended quietly

"And what about the test huh? What if you finding this book makes me fail? I'm supposed to be the one to do all this, you're only here to help."

"Oh-ho! I see how it is." he replied mockingly. Now he made no attempt to keep his voice low. "This is all about passing a test to you. You didn't even once think about saving these people. 'Oh no, if I can't save the empire then I fail. I wonder if there's a way to pass now that I've doomed a whole empire!'"

"What?!" Twilight responded at the same volume, "You think that I-... What the heck is wrong with you, huh? Why do you always think of 'being the protector of the princesses'? Don't you think that's getting kind of old? I mean they've been taking care of themselves since you disappeared on them."

"Wait, when did this become about me?"

"When you decided not to just give up the guard duty stuff and become a regular person!"

"And what good would that do me? The Princesses may be able to take care of themselves now, but you can never know what comes in the future. They-"

"ASKED ME TO HELP YOU INTEGRATE INTO NORMAL SOCIETY!!! THEY DON'T NEED YOU ANYMORE! gasp" Twilight held her hands up covering her mouth, surprised at what she had just done. As the words still echoed in the vast library, Star Dusk looked downwards to the floor and slowly clenched his fists shaking his arms. Everyone was now looking at the two, worried where this argument would lead.

"Star Dusk, I- I- didn't mean-"

"S-So... even everything that you've done for me to this point was for your own benefit. Here I thought you were doing this from the kindness of your heart." His voice trembled as he spoke.

"Let me tell you this, Twilight Sparkle..." He always called her by her full name, but now it felt like he was doing it like a parent angrily calling his child. He slowly looked up at her, tears in his eyes. "You will fail." he advanced on her as he spoke. "You fail this test and any other that Princess Celestia deigns to give you. And you know why?"

She moved back until she was pinned up against the book case. She could feel a fear shaking from her heart as he spoke. His tears slowly dissapeared, replaced by a blackness and energy leaking out the side of his eyes.

"Because you are THE most selfish and manipulative person I have ever met! And you do NOT deserve the personal attention that EITHER Princess gives you. If you want to save the empire, do it on your own!"

He quickly turned from the group and left before anyone could say anything. Twilight sunk down to her knees, eyes welling up, held herself, and quietly sobbed.


"Everything seems to be set Twilight." said Rarity apprehensively.

"Everything's in the right place so far as I can tell." added Rainbow Dash.

"Thanks girls..." Twilight responded checking off the last things on her list.

"W-Well hey, what's this thing?" asked Applejack pointing to a heart-shaped crystal on a pedestal in the center of the plaza in an effort to raise spirits.

"Well, the book mentions something about a 'Crystal Heart' as the center piece to the faire. I just cut one out of a crystal block using my magic."

"That's great Twi! Now we kin get this faire up and running!" Replied Applejack over enthusiastically.

Everyone split up to gather the citizens for the faire as Twilight looked out at the land.

If this doesn't work... it'll be all my fault. I'd feel much more confident with Star Dusk here.

She remembered back to the Princess's throne room.

'You won't fail.' he said. He could have reassured me again here. But I had to go and screw it up. Why do I have to learn about all the friendship lessons I already learned all over again when it comes to him?

"Twilight! We have a problem!" called Rainbow Dash flying in, interrupting her thoughts.

"What is it Rainbow?"

"That 'Crystal Heart' thing you made? There's supposed to already be one! King Sombra had hid it!"

"What?" Twilight opened the book and furiously tore through the pages finding that the last page had been torn out. "No! How did I not notice it before? The book is missing a page!"

Applejack ran up to the pair. "Twilight, I got people askin' to see the heart. Kin I let them up?"

"NO!" Twilight and Rainbow said unanimously.

Rainbow filled in Applejack who then turned to Twilight and said: "Rainbow 'n I'll keep 'em from seeing this thing. You go find the real one."

"Rainbow make sure that the peoples spirits are lifted. If not they won't be able to charge the heart!" Twilight said as she went to the only place she could think that King Sombra would hide such a relic, his own castle...