• Published 27th Mar 2024
  • 339 Views, 26 Comments

Parks and Wilderness - stphven



A routine monster hunt goes wrong, stranding a lone guardsmare in the desert.

  • ...
3
 26
 339

Chapter 21 - Change of plan

“So… the Sand Witch… is an alicorn?”

I raise a hoof to rub my aching temples. I am Private Punch, and I am in waaay over my head. Again.

Story of this whole assignment, really. I've gone from training with buffalo, to hunting desert monsters, to leading a search party, and now... this. Urgh! I'm supposed to be in the Harmony Corps, for Harmony’s sake! I should be off befriending cute seaponies or something! Not… fighting alicorns?? Also, since when are there random alicorns haunting the desert???

Dusty Rose gives me a reassuring pat on the back. The two of us, plus Sheriff Pear, are holding yet another meeting in the little Hoofrest eatery. (Somehow I still haven’t learnt this place’s name.)

”An alicorn? Seriously?” Rose is levelling a stern look at the pony seated opposite us. “You don’t actually believe that, do you?”

Sergeant Able Oak is a big, grey earth pony. Slung over his shoulder is a bigger, greyer war hammer. His armour is covered in dust and years of battle damage. His grey coat is even more so. He's the very image of a grizzled, veteran monster hunter. The finest of the Parks and Wilderness Guard.

And he's currently squirming sheepishly beneath Rose’s gaze.

”W-well,” Oak rumbles, sounding far from comfortable. “Nnno, I don’t think it’s very likely. But, well, you reported that this “Sand Witch” is real. So we asked the folks at Tranquility Springs what they know about her. And they seemed quite certain she’s an Alicorn. Er, mostly.”

Rose’s glare intensifies.

”Mostly?”

Oak wilts even further into his seat. (That mare scares me sometimes.)

”I mean, they weren’t entirely consistent,” he admits. “There were some… conflicting stories. But an Alicorn was the, um, general consensus?”

Rose snorts. Before she can reply with anything too acerbic, Sheriff Pear cuts in.

”Folks out these ways are always tellin’ tall tales ‘bout the desert. It’s practically a local pastime. Now, I won’t deny there’s some mighty peculiar critters out there, but still, nine times outta ten these stories are just a load o’ hooey.”

I nod eagerly.

“The sheriff’s right. And hey, even if there is an alicorn, so what? We should be trying to befriend her, not avoid her! If the Sand Witch really did take Glacier, then we can probably ask her what she wants. Then we’ll have Glace back in no time!”

Oak seems completely caught off guard by this idea, practically choking in surprise. He’s rescued by the arrival of Feather Trail, a tray of drinks balanced between her wings.

”The thing is,” chirps the golden mare, setting the drinks down. “We have all these rules in the PWG about what kinds of monsters we’re allowed to engage. There’s a whole List and everything.”

Oak gives her a grateful nod as she slides into an empty seat.

”And right at the top of that List is - you guessed it - wild Alicorns.”

“But it’s not like we’re trying to pick a fight with her,” I insist. “We just want to talk.”

The sergeant shakes his shaggy head.

”It’s not about picking a fight. If there’s reason to suspect there might actually be a wild Alicorn, then we have very strict orders about how to proceed. That includes keeping our distance.”

”You’re still assuming it is an alicorn,” Rose points out. “You said yourself it doesn’t seem likely. Are you really going to abandon a fellow Guard, leave Glacier out there to die, based on such flimsy evidence?”

Oak and I both wince. Feather shoots out of her seat, wings flared.

”Hey!” she exclaims indignantly. “Nopony cares more about Glace than us! Sarge doesn’t want to do this, but we’ve got a-”

Oak puts a hoof on her muzzle, gently but firmly silencing her. It's easily apparent why. Quite a few heads have turned our way. Even at this late hour, with half of the search party off getting some well deserved rest, the eatery is still bustling. Parks and Wilderness Guard, volunteers, and curious locals have been coming and going all evening. Feather’s little outburst has drawn attention.

Oak waits a few moments for the normal background chatter to resume. Then, after taking a breath, replies in a low voice:

”Look, we’re not abandoning anypony. We’ll continue to search the area Glacier disappeared in, and the nearby desert. She’s a tough filly. If anypony can live off the land for a few days, it’s her. But based on your own report, it seems clear there’s something powerful living near those mines. That alone would be reason enough to be cautious, but with all the rumours around town…”

He shrugs helplessly.

”I just don’t have the authority to allow an expedition to the mines, not until-”

“But that’s our best lead!” I whine.

(At this point, it’s really our only lead.)

”Not until our LT arrives,” Oak continues.

His voice takes on a conciliatory tone.

”Listen, we sent for the lieutenant as soon as we heard Glace was missing. And then sent another emergency alert straight to HQ when we heard about the Alicorn thing. With any luck, the LT and a whole bunch more Guard will be here by morning. Then we can go check out the mines. It’s just… a few more hours.”

He sounds almost pleading. Like he's trying to convince me it’ll be fine. Or trying to convince himself.

I bite back my response, realising he’s probably more upset about this than I am. I’ve only known Glacier for, what, a few days? But Oak is her old squad leader. Probably her friend and mentor, too. And now he’s essentially forced to call off her search? All because of some old mares’ tales he knows are bullshit? Being in charge sucks!

I might not agree with his decision, but he’s clearly just following orders. And he clearly hates them, too. No point making him feel any worse about it.

So I sink back into my chair, feeling defeated. The conversation continues on around me. Something about reorganising the search teams. I just nod along. With the real PWG here, there’s nothing left for me to offer. Rose and Pear know the desert better than I do, while Oak and Feather know monsters and search parties.

I’ve gone from being the highest ranking Royal Guard present, to just another private among the squad.

No, not even that - even the other privates are all Parks and Wilderness veterans. Every one of them is busying themselves about the room. Every one of them has a clear purpose here.

Unlike me.


I shiver.

The sun has long since set, taking with it all traces of warmth. Hard to believe the temperature can drop so quickly.

My tired hooves clop along slowly, leaving small furrows in the sand. The lantern in my mouth clangs gently with each step, illuminating a small circle of anonymous desert. I dutifully search it for clues. Expecting nothing. Finding nothing.

At least I'm properly rugged up this time. It was still warm when I started my previous shift earlier in the evening, so I'd declined to bring any clothes. Big mistake. I spent the next few hours freezing my tail off, while my team and I combed the darkening sands.

This time I'm better prepared. A hot meal and a quick nap have left me, well, not exactly refreshed - I'm running on fumes, to be honest - but ready to continue the search. Even if it all seems pretty pointless right now.

I look up towards the mountains. A great, jagged shadow, silhouetted against the stars. Somehow, I know that’s where we’ll find Glacier. All this searching down here is just going through the motions. Killing time until the lieutenant arrives and organises a search of the mine. Assuming she actually authorises one.

What if she wants to wait for confirmation from higher up, too? Will we have to wait for a captain to personally show up? A major? How many more delays?

I’ve genuinely considered going AWOL and just trotting up to the mines myself. But what good would a grounded pegasus do? I'm no PWG. I'm not even a particularly good Royal Guard. Without any kind of support, odds are I’d get Dust Devil’d and dragged off to who knows where.

That’s one issue the PWG have taken seriously, at least. Sergeant Oak’s priority has been ensuring nopony else gets lost or abducted. In addition to avoiding the mines, the search teams have been consolidated and reorganised. Each team of volunteers is now led by a professional Parks and Wilderness Guard, and must have at least one pegasus for scouting or delivering messages. (My busted wings mean I can't even fulfil that role, so our squad has two pegasi.) In addition, we’re each carrying more supplies, flares, and rope we can quickly loop ourselves together with. If a Dust Devil does strike, it’ll have to take all of us, or none.

At least, that’s the theory.

One downside to this arrangement is we all have to keep closer together. It’s been hard hiding my gloomy mood from the others. I'm supposed to be part of the Harmony Corps, damnit! The one unique skill I have left is keeping ponies’ morale up. I’ll be damned if I bring down our team’s mood with my moping!

So, minute after minute, hour after hour, I maintain the charade. Give a smile to the ponies around me. Pass around a hot drink if anypony looks too cold. Chat with the ones who are falling asleep on their hooves. Maybe share a joke to wake them up.

Honestly, at this point I'm not really listening to their replies. This is all foals’ play, stuff you learn by rote at the HC. I could do this in my sleep. (I practically am.) So it comes as a bit of a surprise when I realise somepony is talking about Glacier. Not just the usual “Oh, I hope she’s ok,” either.

”And so she’d never actually seen a non-frozen lake before. I mean, she must have known they existed, but I guess it just didn’t register consciously, y'know? So anyway, she just casually hops off the pier, expecting to land on solid ice. SPLASH! She gets water all over our unit, including the instructor. The look on her face when she resurfaced was priceless!”

I blink myself out of my stupor. Feather Trail is walking along beside me, smiling wistfully. I vaguely recall asking if she’d known Glacier well. Judging from her anecdote, the two seem to have gone way back. It takes a moment for my brain to catch up, but soon there’s a genuine smile on my face. The first in a while.

“I’m glad to hear Glacier had friends in her old unit. Honestly, I was kinda worried about that. She seems a bit too… well, icy for most ponies.”

”Ha. Yeah. I couldn’t stand her at first, either.” Feather shrugs. “But nah, she’s cool. Takes a while to warm up to you, though.”

She grins.

”But you’re right. Outside of our squad, I don’t think she really has many friends. She’s better with monsters than she is with ponies, I reckon. Which can be a bit of a problem.”

She shakes her head.

“It’s honestly not that surprising she went off into the desert without waiting for the rest of us. Glacier’s good at what she does, but she can never get it through that thick head of hers that she’s supposed to rely on other ponies. Monster hunting’s a team sport, after all. Sarge is always telling her, ‘You can’t do this on your own.’”

Her smile fades.

”I guess this is her chance to prove him wrong.”

Neither of us say anything after that.

Our group continues on in silence. A cluster of lights floating in the dark.

To the east, the sky slowly turns murky grey. Dawn isn’t far off.

Our shift is just about over. Time to turn this party around and head back to Hoofrest. But before I can call the group to attention, something catches my eye.

I turn to the south. A tiny speck of light is rising steadily above the mountains. Before I can even begin to wonder what it is, it explodes! A small but brilliant burst of colour splashing against the black backdrop. The sound reaches us a few moments later. A soft but distinct thunderclap.

“Look!” I hiss to Feather Trail.

My warning is unneeded. The pegasus is already taking to the air. My bandaged wings twitch as I watch her ascend, wanting to join her for a better view.

The colourful shape in the distance seems to shimmer, changing hues. It periodically lights up, followed by a distant rumbling sound. Like some kind of funky disco thundercloud. Our search party watches eagerly, while Corporal Trail circles overhead. After a few moments she touches down again, all traces of weariness gone.

”That’s a thunder quartz signal flare. Standard Parks and Wilderness issue.”

A ripple of excitement runs through the group. I can hardly keep my own wings from buzzing with glee.

A flare! No search teams were sent that far south. So either one of the other teams has actually been Dust Devil’d and carried all the way down there, or…

“It’s Glacier!”

Feather turns towards me, professional expression on her face.

”Private Punch, that flare looks to have come from near the mines, correct?”

Her use of my rank snaps me into military mode. Finally, time for action!

“Yes, corporal!”

”Alright. Punch, you’re in charge of this group until I return. I want you to lead them back to Hoofrest.”

“W-what?”

And just like that, military protocol goes out the window. Screw the chain of command, I need answers!

“You mean we’re not going to the mines?”

Feather maintains a neutral expression, despite my outburst.

”We’re to regroup and inform Sergeant Oak. I’ll fly ahead and let him know what’s happened.”

“Oh, come on!” I just about shout. “There’s no way Oak hasn’t spotted the flare, even from all the way back in Hoofrest.”

I see hesitation briefly flicker across her face. It's obvious (to a Harmony Corps graduate, at least) that she wants to fly straight to the rescue.

“Glacier could be in trouble now! We’re the closest search party to her - we can’t afford to go all the way back to Hoofrest!”

Her composure cracks a little more. Ears flicking back. Eyes darting between the flare and the search party.

”But… What about the volunteers? I can’t just leave-”

”Yes you can,” says an older mare sternly.

A figure limps over into my lamp light. I recognise her as Mrs Marmalade; the one who chastised me for assuming the volunteers would quit at the first sign of danger. (I instinctively inch back.)

“Why, I’ll have you know I was fendin’ off sandipedes an’ blackjackals ‘fore you was even outta diapers. Y’all go right on ahead and save that little lost filly; she’s the whole reason we’re out here in the first place! We’ll be perfectly fine on our own.”

There’s a chorus of agreement from the other volunteers. A huge smile threatens to spill over my face. I could kiss that wrinkly old mare!

Feather is still undecided, fidgeting anxiously in place.

”W-well…”

Time for the coup de grâce. I place a hoof on her shoulder and flash her a cheeky grin.

“Well if you don’t come with me, then I’ll just have to save Glacier all by myself.”

”Wait, what?” she sputters. “I thought you said you couldn’t fly!”

I shrug.

“I shouldn’t fly. But this is an emergency. I’ll be fine. Probably.”

I say the last part quiet enough that I hope she doesn’t hear.

She glares at me, but I just begin taking off my heavy scarf and coat. I shiver as the cold nips at the newly exposed fur.

”Uuurgh! Fine!”

With a stomp of her hoof, Feather turns to the assembled ponies.

”Listen up! You all head back to Hoofrest, quick as you can. Tell the sergeant that the two of us are en route to the mines. And be careful on your way back. After your little speech,” she turns to Mrs Marmalade, “it would be really embarrassing if you ended up getting in trouble! So make sure it doesn’t happen!”

The old mare gives a smart salute.

Feather then turns on me, redoubling her glare.

”And you! You’ll be worse than useless if you end up crashing halfway to the mine. So we’re gonna take it real slow, and you’re gonna stick to my tailwind the whole way. Understood?”

“Yes, corporal!”

”Alright, let’s move out!”


Ow.

Ow.

Ow.

This was a terrible idea.

Ow.

With each (ow) painful beat (ow) of my wings, the glowing cloud inches a tiny bit closer. To my left, the sky is starting to turn grey-blue. The stars fade out, and the black desert below begins to gain depth and detail.

I think I can pinpoint where the flare was sent from: nestled in a low valley between peaks is a cluster of dark, boxy shapes. Too geometric to be a rock formation. The old mine buildings, perhaps? The cloud looks to be hovering right above them, a few thousand hooves up. It’s still twinkling bright as a signal fire, though the rumblings seem to have died away.

I don’t see anypony moving on the mountainside. Though in this dim light, they’d be easy to miss. Hopefully Glacier’s just taken shelter in one of the buildings.

It takes an agonisingly long time to reach them. I absolutely wouldn’t have been able to fly this far on my own. Even with Feather’s help, producing a tailwind for me to follow, it’s all I can do to glide along slowly in her wake. But we’re almost there. Just a few more minutes.

I can see the buildings in more detail now. Dilapidated old wooden structures. Shiny tin roofs, or at least the few which still have roofs. Crisscrossing iron tracks, leading down into a gaping mine entrance.

This is it! We’re so close!

But something's wrong. Why isn't Feather getting any closer? She seems to have slowed to a cautious hover, alert.

It takes my sleep-deprived brain a few seconds to notice the signs. But by then it’s too late.

“Twilight bucking damnit, not again! Not NOW!”

Deaf to my pleas, the Dust Devil roars to life.