• Published 8th Oct 2012
  • 641 Views, 17 Comments

Dystopia - LuminousRabbit



The technological revolution has set a future for Equestria, but what happens when it corrupts?

  • ...
1
 17
 641

Chapter two: A friendly ghost

Chapter two: A friendly ghost

I followed the Administrator, her group of ponies and the Princess as they walked along the corridors. Luckily, they were walking quite slowly, so I had no trouble keeping pace with them in the tangled service shafts. I hooked up visual and audio from the security cameras so that I could stalk them properly. It's an art, it really is.

"So tell me about Aurora," said the Princess casually..
The Administrator was clearly not happy to see the subject turn to her least favourite pony, but she answered nonetheless. "Aurora has a habit for mischeif. One day she'll inherit all of this, but I think she fancies the challenge of finding out all of our secrets before then."
"And has she?"
The Administrator smiled, a rare occurance. "Not yet. We do still have some security she can't get past."

"Interesting. How often does she come here?"
"Every day, maybe two. She would probably spend about two hours a day here on average. The staff call it 'Random hour,' because there's really no telling what she'll do when she's here. Mostly she follows people and jumps out at them, but she sometimes pulls bigger pranks. Did you know the staff actually bet on who she'll prank next?"
Princess Celestia smiled. "Sounds like she makes life more interesting."
"Yes. I... I suppose she does. She can be extremely irritating, but at least she alleviates some of the daily boredom."

A glow eminated from my horn as I walked, the magic amplified through the cords and powerboards, making it's way to sector B2, where the light controls were. A couple of seconds later the lights grew several times brighter, saving the corridor from it's gloomy fate. It also improved the quality of the visual I was getting

"That's better," I heard Celestia remark through the audio feed. Her voice was clear as real life, a happy side-effect of my pure magic running through the veins of the database.

In order to transfer magic through items by any efficient means, it had to be diluted and put on a kind of loop, like a self-charging battery. Pure magic, directly from a unicorn's horn functioned better, but it required more energy to keep working and frequent charging.

Quick transmissions though, like the one through the wires, ones that completed their function almost immediately, were more powerful, but you could hardly give such short-lived magic to a pegasus or earth pony. The extra boost I had given the system would fade in about half an hour.

I followed Celestia through the walls for a few more minutes, then, as they entered a long corridor with no turn-offs, I bounded ahead as quickly as I could, climbing the thin ramp into the roof.

A minute later, the Administrator guided Celestia along. As they approached my position, a thin pole with five slender, automatic fingers slid down from the roof. "What's that?" asked Celestia.
"It's our system for fires. They usually carry buckets, and they automatically throw them onto the nearest heat source. It's not an original Sparkle invention, that's probably why you haven't heard of it.

Celestia went closer, "It's holding something."
The hand opened, revealing a steaming-hot cup of coffee.
The Admin rolled her eyes. "It's just Aurora."
I poked my head out of the space in the roof, grin on face. "I made coffee! See, I told you it doesn't just appear."

One of the younger workers, a stallion who was amused by my antics, took the coffee. "Thanks."
"You're welcome Phill. Ciao." I said, lifting myself up into the roof again. The mechanical arm followed, and the gap in the roof closed behind us.

The audio feed sent me the rest of the conversation. "So anyway..." The Admin said grumpily.
"Yes. You were going to show me the...?"
"The information holds, yes. This way, please."

I considered leaving them there, and going off to rig the taps in sector F to explode or something, but I smelled something fishy going on. A few of the workers here had been acting weird for a while now, and I wanted to find out what was up. And of course, there was the continuing mystery of sector G. I followed Celestia and the rest of the group to the information holds.

There was nothing but idle chatting from the group all the way there, and I was beginning to doubt that this line of investigation would reveal anything, but I had nowhere else to go, so I decided to tag along for a bit longer

"This is where we store all the information that's uploaded onto the Interface," said the Admin, "The ponies do it all telepathically, and the magical currents tranfer it here, so that it can be stored and accessed whenever anypony needs it."
"I've never really understood how ponies can just flick in and out of the Interface. Care to explain?" said Celestia.

"First Sparkle embedded magic into different items, as you know. This was what did it you see, when Sparkle first invented the Interface, it only stretched around her home town, Ponyville. A while before that, she had discovered a spell that allows ponies to be connected by a telepathic field. At first it seemed useless - she couldn't read thoughts or do anything like that, it only served as a kind of link - but later she had the idea. What if there was something the ponies could connect to? So she made the databanks, and put the telepathy spell on them. Then she put small towers around the place that spread the spell, and rerouted it back to the databanks.

"But how did ponies access it? Does the spell have any side-effects?"

"Ponies could access the databanks simply by concentrating on them. As the spell was embedded in an object, in this case, the towers, it performed a very specific function, and as such had no side-effects.

I growled quietly. Come on, Celestia, ask the question, just do it! I couldn't do it because they woudn't answer me, and I don't have the authority to make them. But who in Equestria has higher authority than the alicorn standing in the corridor? Come on, Princess, pull some rank. You know you want to.

"So how many other sectors are there?"

That's better, almost there.

"We house sectors A to G.
"And what do you do in all of those sectors?"

Yesss.

"Sector A is purely administrative. That's the entrance, reception and information all in one. It's all where the guests are, and where the workers check in and out for the day. It's also where we keep our in-and-out security. There's only one door in and out of this place. Sector B is the service area. Sector C is where we lock our scientists away to study and keep the world progressing. They do all kinds of things, it's really quite amazing. But anyway, if we provide them with labs and pay, they'll give us 15% of the profits from their inventions. It's been quite a fundraiser. D, E and F are where we keep all the information stored."

There was still one question left, and Celestia asked it

"...So what about sector G?"