• Published 5th Oct 2012
  • 1,357 Views, 24 Comments

Rogers' Return - Enfield



Enfield is going back to Earth, but what awaits him after two years of being confirmed dead?

  • ...
1
 24
 1,357

The English Celebration Ritual

Enfield would have rejected the idea but he had never been to the local pub for several years. It had always been a place of happiness for him and his family, the food was perfect and the drinks plentiful, best of all they knew the owners of the place. The pub was no more than a mile away but Enfield and his family were probably going to walk there because Uncle Geoff and Uncle Isaac would end up drunk and unable to drive. He didn’t mind however, he kind of liked it when his uncles were drunk and out of their minds.

“Let’s go then,” Enfield said sliding his 1911 into his holster.

“Do you really need that?” Nan asked.

“There are people who will hunt me down if they find out I’m alive,” said Enfield.

“Are the stories true?” Barbra asked, “Are you a bad person?”

Enfield crouched down next to her.

“No,” he said, “I never was a bad person. I don’t think bad people adopt the very child they took care of for three months of their life.”

“Why did the US mark you as a terrorist?” Uncle Charles asked.

“I’ll figure that out when I go there,” replied Enfield.

“Can I come?” Scootaloo asked.

“No, it’s too dangerous,” Enfield replied, “I don’t want you to get radiation poisoning.”

“Why? It’s just a little radiation?” said Scootaloo.

“Yes but you’re young and I don’t want you getting sick,” said Enfield.

Scootaloo sighed but agreed to stay in Equestria while Enfield went back to the US. She really wanted to go back but Enfield was her dad now, and he wanted her safe.

“Shall we get to the pub?” Uncle Charles asked.

The family left Nan’s house and headed to the pub. Enfield kept everyone entertained with his settlement in Ponyville, no-one asked where Ponyville was nor did they ask why it was called Ponyville, Enfield found this to be very good. After ten minutes of walking they finally arrived at the pub, it had changed over the years but Enfield recognized it and he was pleased it still kept its rustic look. Enfield followed his family inside and instantly met the owner of the place. It was the same old Irish guy and he was pleased to see Enfield again. Once a table had been set up everyone got some food and dined as they talked about what had been going on for the past few weeks. The hours latterly flew by for Enfield and Scootaloo, over three hours had passed and they barely noticed. Soon, Barbra and Kenneth wanted to play on the playground outside. Kelly, Aunt Cher and Scootaloo went with them leaving Enfield, Uncle Charles, Isaac and Geoff inside.

“So how’s about I get you that round I promised ten years ago?” Uncle Geoff asked.

“I don’t think I’m old enough,” Enfield said, “Remember that I now age slower here?”

“Doesn’t matter, you’re technically eighteen now,” said Uncle Isaac.

Enfield weakened and agreed, although he didn’t like the idea of drinking, but the way his life had been in the past he really thought that a bottle of scotch would help. He followed his three uncles to the bar where the owner was awaiting them.

“So is James here for his first pint?” the Owner asked in a heavy Irish accent.

“They want me to,” Enfield replied.

“We’ll be buying his first round,” said Uncle Geoff.

“Well then, what will you have?” the Owner asked.

Enfield decided to try out Guiness after the Owner suggested it to him, and soon, ever so slowly, Enfield ended up trying over eight different types of larger and beer. He knew how much his body was capable of taking on so he only drank about a third of a glass each. Eventually the night set and Enfield was in a heavy buzz. Feeling better than he did before Enfield told his uncles that he had his own weapons locker in Equestria and that he was a commander for the Ponyville sector. His uncles were too drunk to really focus on what Enfield was saying but he didn’t care, he felt happy and relaxed, not to mention dizzy and weak. Eventually, Aunt Cher came from the playground with Kenneth fast asleep in her arms, Barbra was holding Kelly’s hand and Scootaloo was right behind them.

“Time to go I think,” Aunt Cher said.

“I’m not arguing,” Enfield said. He stood up and almost fell over.

“Are you okay dad?” Scootaloo asked.

“I think so,” Enfield replied, “Yeah, I’ll be okay. I’m just a little buzzed is all.”

“I could use a nice sleep now,” Uncle Isaac said.

“I could too,” Uncle Geoff retorted.

“The unanimous decision has been made!” Enfield said.

The group chuckled and left, Enfield still had the ability to walk but he didn’t have the ability to stay quiet. As they made their way to the street Enfield kept talking about how he found that lack of a tank in his arsenal of weapons to be quite disappointing, but he was glad that he had Scootaloo as a daughter. The conversation was cut short when a man with a hood over his face jumped from an ally way with a switchblade.

“Give me your money,” the mugger said.

“Spent it,” Uncle Charles said.

“Then give me your valuables,” the mugger said.

Enfield didn’t know why this man was trying to rob them. But he saw the knife and regarded him as a threat toward his family and his daughter. He pulled his 1911 out of his holster and aimed it at the mugger.

“Bugger off, now,” he said. The mugger dropped the knife and ran off into the ally. Enfield kicked the knife into the gutter and walked on.

“Well that was interesting,” said Aunt Cher.

The family got back to Nan’s house after the little incident. Nan was upstairs asleep. Enfield’s aunt, uncles and cousins went back home after Enfield and Scootaloo were back in the house. Feeling sleepy, Enfield went upstairs and clambered into his bed, Scootaloo did so as well. She noticed that the time on Earth had gone midnight. Scootaloo wondered how much longer that she and her dad were going to stay in England.

Enfield woke up the next morning with the biggest headache he ever had. He knew how he got it and he really didn’t seem to care. He tried to sit up but he felt something clung around his chest.

“Scoot? What are you doing in here?” he asked.

“Bad dream,” Scootaloo replied. She was keeping Enfield in a tight hug.

“Was it about last night?” asked Enfield.

“No, something different,” Scootaloo replied.

“Can you let go of me now?” Enfield asked. Scootaloo let go of Enfield and sat at the foot of his bed. He groaned and rubbed his head.

“God this hurts,” he muttered.

“How long are we going to stay here?” asked Scootaloo.

“Just another day or two,” said Enfield, “Be glad I’m in a hangover or we would be leaving today.”