• Published 27th Nov 2023
  • 201 Views, 3 Comments

The Beauty of the Rock - ItsMrCapey



Hearts and hooves day… a splendid day for all.. yet, why was she alone?

  • ...
0
 3
 201

Hurting

Rarity knew she couldn’t stand to look at him. He had upset Maud for Celestia’s sake! Why would she want to see him?

The anger was strong. All he had to do was NOT make a scene. She knew he liked her but it wasn’t her fault that she didn’t return his affections. No pony could blame her for it. She had already been hurt from Dark Moon and his adulterous behaviour, no way could she allow this type of behaviour from a friend who had an intense infatuation with her.

She walked through Ponyville with a frown, trying her hardest to not take her anger out on anypony that spoke to her. She would wave gently and force a smile whenever somepony recognised her.

Only one question remained: why was love so hard?

Why did it have to be so hard? Was she not good at romance? Was she deluding herself with romantic fantasies?

Rarity hoped, she begged and she pleaded that Spike would eventually move on from her. Years. It had been years and she still didn’t see a change in his romantic interest in her. Some days she found it nice, most days… she was uncomfortable.

How many times must she say it? She would never return Spike’s feelings. Ever.

The white unicorn eventually reached the front door of her boutique, her hoof pressing against the door and pushing it open. Rarity released an aggravated sigh as she closed the door behind her.

Was Maud okay? Was she gone? Did she leave Ponyville? Those thoughts fogged Rarity’s mind and it hurt. The mare she had feelings for was broken. And it was all HIS fault. Rarity knew she would definitely have to avoid the young drake as much as she was able to.

————————————————————

He still regretted his actions deeply. He knew deep down that he was still in love with Rarity but his feelings were not important, Maud’s hurt feelings were.

Maud sighed before the train pulled up into the station and she then sat up, glancing over at the dragon and griffon. “I’m sorry. I do forgive you somewhat, Spike but.. I need some space and time to think.”

With that, the gray earth pony walked through the open train door, walking down the aisle and taking a seat, glancing over at the window at Spike and Gabby.

As the train pulled away from the station, Spike stared in solemn below him; a gentle tear trickling down his cheek.

“Why am I so stupid?” The young dragon sniffled, wiping his single tear away from his scaled cheek.

Gabby’s heart broke when she heard that. Her friend was literally crying and degrading himself. She knew he felt terrible. She might be not have seen the unfortunate incident but the regret on Spike’s face broke her.

“Spike… I-..”

She couldn’t hold her own tears back before she scooped up the dragon into her yellow talons much to the surprise of her scaled friend, tears still lingered in his emerald eyes.

Before Gabby could say anything; Spike sighed sadly before speaking again: “I’m so sorry, Gabby.. I shouldn’t have involved you in all of this love drama..”

Gabby sighed gently before setting the purple dragon down and sitting in front of him. “Spike… I.. I’m not mad at you. At all..”

The distraught dragon sniffled before continuing on. “I just don’t understand why she doesn’t love me.. I love her, Gabby..”

The griffon held the broken dragon close to her warm feathers, petting his scaled head softly. “I know..”

————————————————————

Pinkie was also infuriated by Spike’s actions. He had hurt her best sister friend forever’s feelings! Was he crazy?! This wasn’t fun or exciting! What would Cheesie do in a situation like this? All Pinkie knew was: once Twilight heard about this, she would be upset too. Hopefully Twilight takes it easy on the little guy.

————————————————————

The train ride was dreadful, many obnoxious mares ranting about what their supposed ‘best friend’ wore to the Gala a year ago, ignorant stallions not taking no for an answer from uninterested mares and the occasional rude mare throwing a tantrum over a single seat.

Maud found herself at the train station nearby from her family’s rock farm. Marble and Limestone would most certainly hear her out about her struggles. They did for Pinkie when Mudbriar was around. Why wouldn’t they do it for her?

It didn’t take long for Maud to reach the rocky landscape which housed her sisters and parents. The gray pony was met by the glistening purple eyes of Marble and the acid yellow of Limestone.

Limestone approached her sister with her usual scowl. “I thought you’d be busy at your camp. Thought you’d pull an Octavio and bail out completely.”

Maud knew she had been away for a while; only dropping in around Hearths Warming Eve. “I had time. I don’t just focus on studies, you know?”

Before Limestone could argue, Marble approached Maud with a gentle smile, causing Limestone to sigh in defeat. The atmosphere was heavy already and it was already getting heavier by the minute.

“Mom and dad ain’t here if you’re looking for them. Something about a trip to some rock festival..” Limestone grumbled.

Maud shook her head, denying that inquiry. “I was more looking for an opinion from the two of you.”

Marble nodded gently and sat down onto the rock filled landscape as did her grouchy sister. “Mhmm..”

Limestone huffed before speaking; “What? Did Mudbriar get himself kicked out of a rock show? I swear, that stallion gets WORSE the more I hea-“ a gray hoof was pressed against Limestone’s lips. “There is no Mudbriar anymore.”

The eldest pie was confused. Since when did Maud and Mudbriar break up? Why would they? While Limestone hated Mudbriar and his tendency to constantly say ‘technically’, she knew Maud was happy with him.

“So what? You broke up with him?” Limestone folded her forelegs which awarded her with an annoyed frown from her youngest sister.

Maud sighed again, she hadn’t told her parents nor her sisters about Mudbriar breaking up with her. She had only told Pinkie. “Yes. But that’s not why I’m here. I… I might’ve found a new special somepony..”

The silence around the three sisters was the most awkward thing until Marble quietly clapped her hooves with a gentle smile.

“I’m confused, you and Mudbriar break up and then you move on like that?” Limestone narrowed her eyes. “C’mon Maud; don’t let this be a rebound or something..”

Marble grumbled and turned to her eldest sister. “Oh and you’re one to talk, Limestone. You’ve had plenty of marefriends and not once did the relationship last longer than a week.”

Limestone huffed in response, pointing at her usually quiet sister. “And when was the last time YOU had somepony?!”

Maud knew this would definitely lead to an argument and she shook her head. “I don’t want it to be a rebound. Rarity and I have a lot in common.”

The mention of the white unicorn ceased the entire anger filled conversation; making the two mares face their deadpan sister.

“Rarity?! As in: one of Pinkie Pie’s friends?!”

Maud nodded, confirming everything Limestone had said. “Yes. I know it’s hard to explain but-“ Limestone then interrupted Maud with a huff. “But nothing! You wanna date one of your sister’s best friends!”

————————————————————

Rarity and Pinkie reached the train station, watching the already departing train chug away from them.

“Maud… no…” Rarity’s lip quivered, reaching her white hoof in the direction of the leaving locomotive. “Pinkie, I need to see her…”

Rarity’s eyes fell on Spike, her annoyance coming back once again. “This is all your fault! You didn’t have to say such ghastly things to her!”

Gabby stepped between the guilt ridden dragon and the angered unicorn. “Rarity, calm down! This isn’t gonna get us anywhere if we keep doing this! We can’t keep pointing hooves, claw or paw at each other..”

Pinkie leaned over Rarity’s shoulder, facing Gabby with tears in her eyes. “Then what do we do? Do we get Derpy to mail us to the rock farm because I don’t think she’d do that..”

Spike shook his head, placing a purple finger against the pink pony’s lips. “No Pinkie, go and find her. Where do you think she would be?”

The pink pony pondered for a moment. Where would Maud go? Ghastly Gorge? Maybe.. The Rock Farm? Also maybe.. Cloudsdale?! No, that’s silly, she can’t walk on clouds!

“Maud likes to go just about ANYWHERE! She’s so adventurous, rock loving- WAIT! Maybe she’s at the rock farm venting her thoughts to my sisters Marble and Limestone!”

The young dragon raised an eyebrow, Pinkie senses and her way to, as she calls: ‘To break the fourth wall’ never made sense to Spike. Then again, he’s close friends with Discord. “How did you- never mind.. let’s just check the rock farm.”

Pinkie and Rarity exchange glances, not completely on board with Spike’s idea. “But I thought you hated Maud.. you said all of that stuff to her..”

Spike sighed, his arms dropping in defeat. “I may be jealous of her but.. I shouldn’t have said all of that.. I’ve come to realise that Twilight was right. I should’ve just been happy with what I had with you, Rarity. I know you probably won’t accept my apology for a while but.. I am really sorry.. If you allow me to take you, Pinkie and Gabby to Maud, I’ll keep my mouth shut and let you at least speak to her…”

That surprised the two ponies and gryphon. Gabby smiles brightly before nodding enthusiastically. “Come on, Rarity.. if we do this; you’ll see Maud again!”

With that; Rarity and Pinkie smile and nod their heads. “Of course! I would do anything to see Maud.. I… I.. I love her..”

Pinkie pats Rarity’s shoulder. “Say it again but LOUDER!”

Rarity stood proudly, her head held high and soon, spilled out every ounce of power in her heart.

“I LOVE MAUD!”

Spike nodded happily, spotting another train chugging down the rail towards them. “Let’s go!”

Author's Note:

Ahhh there we go! A brand new chapter in the books!

And a cameo from the pie sisters, mentions about the parents and another pie sibling and even.. some more drama starting with a future guest.

Stick around <3