• Published 18th Nov 2023
  • 184 Views, 2 Comments

Test - Cage Black 1443



If you have ever woken in a strange, unfamiliar environment... you probably know what the main character in this story feels like.

  • ...
3
 2
 184

Chapter 2

"I still don't understand what the purpose of these experiments are, Dr. Carewell."

"All will be revealed soon, Shadow. Soon."

"Well, we've been doing this for about a month now. And there's been no progress. What are we even doing here?"

"As I said, soon. I think it's time to change things up. Send in the ball."

***

So. You've turned the page. I guess this means...I don't know what this means. What made you do it? Curiosity? Well, you're wasting your time anyways. Nothing different will happen. You should just put this journal down, and leave it. Nothing interesting will happen.

Whatever. If you turned the page, I guess you're expecting something to happen. I wake up. And I see white. Nothing different than every other day.

Except there is something different. Once I wake up, I hear that robotic voice.

"Please step towards the door."

Confused, I walk towards the door. "Please wait."

I wait. And wait. And wait.

...And wait.

I sit down. After...a really long time, I guess (I already explained the time complications on the last page), the slot in the door opens.

And a small blue ball with a singular yellow stripe rolls into the room.

And with that ball comes a million questions in my mind, with the biggest question being, Why?

I push the ball with my hoof. It rolls. It appears to just be a ball, and nothing more.

"Why?" I ask.

No response.

I walk up to the button, and press it.

"Please state your request."

"Why?"

"Request cannot be fulfilled."

Frustration and anger start to rise within me. I press the button again, and ask, "Why?"

"Request cannot be fulfilled."

I stare at that button, trying to fight tears. They can see me; I know it. There has to be a camera in here somewhere. There has to be. They're trying to break me. I can feel it.

And I won't let them do it...I don't want to be broken.

But why do I feel like yelling?

***

As Rainbow Dash readies herself at the starting line, determination settles in her face. She's going to win this race, she can feel it. She is the fastest pegasus in Cloudsdale.

Oh, yes. You might like some context. The Wonderbolts are having a race. Soarin and Spitfire had challenged Rainbow Dash to a race after practice, so once all the training was over for the day, they would head out to race.

Dash looks at her competitors, and smiles. "This race won't really be fair for you guys, I hope you know."

"Whatever, Crash!" Soarin remarks, smiling.

"Three, two, one... Go!" says Blaze, holding a stopwatch.

Soarin and Spitfire both take off. Rainbow Dash decided to let them have a head start, since she's ten times faster than both of them. But before she can take off, she feels her flank glowing. She looks back, and notices her flank.

"Uh, Blaze? Call--call off the race. I--I need to go," Rainbow Dash says. Blaze looks down, and sees Dash's flank, and nods her head. "Soarin! Spitfire!" Blaze says as Rainbow Dash takes off to Twilight's castle.

When Dash gets there and enters the room with the map, she notices Twilight is there as well, and her Cutie Mark is also glowing.

"Aw, yeah, baby! Where we going?" Dash asks, looking the map over.

Twilight is also looking at the map. "That's just the thing, Dash. I don't know. The map isn't showing where we need to go. It's... weird."

Rainbow Dash looks at the map, and is confused as well.

Where does the map need them to go?

***

"So what, Dr. Carewell? You're trying to break him? What's the purpose?"

"The purpose is to see how long he can last before he breaks. Once he is broken, he will be disposed of, and we will move on to somepony else."

"Excuse my language Doctor, but this seems kind of fucked up. Besides, what if somepony finds out what we're doing, or where we are?"

"Please, nopony will know. I have ponies in places of power, that will make sure nopony ever discovers us."

"Yes, but even then, there are still risks. What about Discord? If he finds out, he could just tell his friends, the Elements of Harmony. And you never know when he could be listening."

"Please, I'm not stupid. I have spell barriers up around the entire facility preventing any chaos magic from getting through. Discord will not be a problem."

"If you're sure..."

***

I curl up in a ball in the corner and start rocking. Maybe if I keep rocking, the urge to yell will go down. But there's still the urge to cry, and that one is harder to contain. I close my eyes and bite my trembling lip as a tear starts to slide down my cheek and muzzle.

Then I take a deep breath. This is what they want, whoever they are. I can't let them break me.
I can't. I take another deep breath, and I get up. I walk over to my bed, and curl up. Tomorrow is another day.
Tomorrow is another day.

With that thought, I go to sleep. Another dreamless sleep.

I still have no hope of getting out if this place, but the least I can do is try to hold out for as long as I can. And hey, maybe... just maybe... there could be some hope of me getting out.
I mean, I have a ball now. I don't know what the ball's purpose is, but it's different. If something so small can change, maybe something larger can change, as well.

Well, if you made it this far, then I guess there's something to my story that seems interesting to you. I don't know why.
As I said last time, I don't know you, and you don't know me. What is it about us, that makes us read stories about strangers, ponies we don't know? Ponies we may never see in real life? It's strange. Oh, well.

Tomorrow is another day.

Author's Note:

The line "Tomorrow is another day" was somewhat inspired by Five Nights at Freddy's 4.
Anyways, wow. You read the 2nd chapter. Wait, you read the second chapter to a story I wrote? Wow. I wonder what this means.
Well, Chapter 3 is... probably on the way, if this continues to get mostly positive reviews. (Four likes against two dislikes. And a couple of favorites in there, damn. Not what I was expecting at all. Thanks, I guess. And thanks to those who continue to read this chapter, and like this as well.)