• Published 27th Oct 2023
  • 136 Views, 1 Comments

The Song in the Mountain - Raging Mouse



Octavia Melody travels to find her friend Vinyl Scratch in a small village, deep in the mountains.

  • ...
 1
 136

Epilogue

Windy Valley, November 2nd

Hello again BB,

All is well! I have spoken to Vinyl Scratch and we are planning our return voyage to Ponyville.

My sincere apologies for failing to write. Deepest shame gripped me when I heard of your increasingly panicked inquiries as to my health and whereabouts. I can only hope you forgive me due to the circumstances; the snowstorm grounded all pegasi in Windy Valley, and it also triggered an avalanche on the mountain paths, cutting off the land routes. We had to wait for the storm to clear to send this message.

On the clearing of the snowstorm, let me briefly mention what a thrill it was to see the Wonderbolts themselves clear the skies and confirm our well-being! There is a thousand times more to tell, but it will keep until we can sit down together.

I cannot say exactly when we will be back, as it depends on digging out the path down to Rainbow Falls from underneath the snow deposited by the avalanche, but the locals estimate a week, two at most, before the path is traversable again.

Hopefully we will meet again soon, and thank you once again,
Octavia.


Ponyville, December 3rd

Dear diary,

We have everything finally moved and properly installed in Ponyville, so Vinyl and I can breathe easier now. Well, if we needed to breathe anymore.

We plan on a small trip to Canterlot to celebrate. Nothing too wild, merely meeting our friends and relaxing, as we are unsure what differences these crystalline bodies of ours have to the usual flesh-and-blood ones.

Harmony is still perturbed, or perhaps irritated would be the better word, about the passing of Octavia Melody, but the cavern in the Everfree we found yesterday seemed to perk it up a bit. A good, hidden base of operations close to the predicted epicentre of events. It wasted no time laying down roots, figuratively and literally.

It still left us with the “choir”, without explanation nor apology. I hope the magicks of concealment and obscurity Harmony laid upon our new sub-basement are as good as Vinyl says; they need to pass extraordinary scrutiny in the near future. We also need to drip-feed Ponyville’s new inhabitants to Pinkie Pie so as not to arouse her suspicions. Even Harmony fears that mare’s abilities.

In addition to Pinkie, Harmony has cautioned that one Twilight Sparkle, protegé of Princess Celestia herself, is expected to visit and, with a high likelihood, settle down. It is coy on the details, though, only saying Twilight is expected sometime before the next Summer Sun Celebration. I can sense that Harmony is very excited about this pony for some reason.

Being Harmony’s minion has its perks. I like to go down to the new sub-basement to sit a while, and listen to the choir. Sometimes I add my voice, though not as often or as completely as Vinyl. She’s quickly developing a reputation around Ponyville for being mute. Which is a pity; she really has a beautiful voice, now that it is properly utilised.

Taking up the mantle of Octavia Melody’s life has been smooth so far. It seems most of her memories were transcribed flawlessly. Still, I have taken great advantage of her habits of archiving her correspondence and diary-keeping. Impersonating someone is easy when they give you an instruction manual.

Vinyl still argues that I am the same Octavia. We’ll just have to agree to disagree; she didn’t watch Melody be cremated. She was busy eliminating the stragglers of that windigo-like entity, so she has a good enough excuse, but I wish she’d accept my point of view.

Octavia Melody is dead.
May I honour her memory.

Octavia Philharmonica

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment