• Published 9th Sep 2023
  • 135 Views, 6 Comments

Mud the Kelpie Part 2 - Topazzia



Mud is all grown up, bigger and stronger now, she must learn to keep her strength where it belongs.

  • ...
 6
 135

Kelpie Quest pt 1

Kelpies were all the same,
Hunt, fight, sleep. Not at all had Mud thought about special talents.

Ponies had more emphasis in that category, as their whole species depended on it. At least t a personal level.

The marks on their flanks were odd enough, but on one midday after lunch, those marks flashed bright. But only on three of those ponies the mark-less kelpie stayed with.

“Well shoot…” Apple Jack stomped the ground, glaring at her flank.
Rainbow looked from the farm pony to Fluttershy’s cutie mark, “What?!”

Mud paused, wondering if the ponies had suddenly caught fire, but more like a firefly. She leaned down cautiously to sniff Starlight’s glowing rear, flinching back as the mare shifted to look at it.

“All three of us?” The unicorn looked at her flashing mark, “Guess we should see where we’re going.”

In the map room, Mud paced impatiently around Starlight, her whimpering increasing.
“Are we going to the park now?”

The mewling question drew a response from her guardian.
“Not now Mud, we actually might not make it to the park today.”

She points a hoof at the small cutie marks swirling around a small town, not far from Ponyville at all. Recently Mud became familiar with maps, and recognized what this meant.

“You going away?” A hint of sadness shown in her voice.

Starlight looked up at her, then to the cutie map. An idea came to her, and looking at each of the others, they smiled in agreement.

“You know Mud, maybe you should come with us.” The pink unicorn rested an urging hoof on the kelpie’s massive shoulder.

Mud looked hesitant, glancing at Pinkie who responded;

“I gotta head to Sugar Cube Corner, you can go with the girls if you want!”

“I have to do some flying tricks for practice this afternoon” was Rainbow Dash’s excuse.

“Sorry darling, but I have orders to fill.” Rarity was sympathetic, but also was busy.

Mud looked down at Starlight, huffing as she rested her chin on the table.
“Can we get food first?”


Grinding and clattering, the train sped down the rails.

The three ponies only took up one booth, Apple Jack and Fluttershy together on one bench, and Starlight the other. Mud had to have her own booth, and the table folded up so she could curl up between seats. Still a tight fit, but better than crowding ponies and blocking the aisle in case she fell asleep.

Starlight scratched her hoof along the base of Mud’s ear, soothing the kelpie into sleeping. Also she just could not resist, the massive grey face’s cheeks pressed on the bench, and made the loudest purring Starlight ever felt.

The unicorn slid back into her seat, relaxing her body. “Finally asleep, big lummox.”
Fluttershy glanced at the road map, seeing the small dot labeled “Hay Town”.

“Have any of you been to Hay Town?” She looked up at the other two.
Starlight saw Canterlot at the end of that rail road, “We must pass through it every trip to Canterlot.”

Apple Jack nodded, “We’d buy bales from them when we can’t make enough of our own.”
She recalled seeing the brand logo sewn onto the cords that bound the large rolls of hay, usually showing up to the farm by wagon.

Starlight was expressionless, pondering what she just heard. “I never thought about hay bales coming in the mail.”


Grinding to a stop, the train hissed and doors opened.

Mud was first to bolt out of car, her waiting impatiently at the door as the group’s destination neared. Her massive size and teeth startled many of the ponies waiting on the platform, a scream from one mare was enough for Starlight to hurry out and chase the kelpie. Starlight teleported herself right in her path, forcing Mud to skid to a stop, leaving a nice patch of bare dirt.

“Mud!” the unicorn said in a hushed, frustrated voice, “try not to terrorize the whole town right off the bat, please?”

She only tipped her head in response, ceasing her excited panting.

“Don’t make me put the harness on you!” The small unicorn threatened.

Mud’s eyes went wide, “No!”
Memories from the times she would have to where an uncomfortable vest so that Starlight could use magic on it, as kelpies turned out to be immune to the wispy fields. Mud, more so, as she grew.
“I hate that thing! I can’t scratch under it!”

The kelpie shrank down, tucking in her legs and keeping her head lower than Starlight’s. the big amber eyes, wide and pleading, Starlight sighed and settled a hoof on Mud’s mane.
“Just behave yourself.”

Starlight led the way from the scared ponies, Fluttershy and AJ on either side of Mud to keep her focused. The group wandered to the open street, taking in how open the town was.

Only a few houses were visible through the trees, but only on one side of a wide empty road. Even the grassy sides were a huge gap until a short white fence stretched all along the way, giving breaks to show smaller more reasonable paths winding up to the houses. On the other side of the road, however, were a couple tall brick structures, looming a good four stories high, with chimneys on top. There were a couple small houses on that side as well, but paled in comparison to these factories.

Starlight faced her friends, glancing again up and down the street.
“Everyone keep an eye out, if someone is in trouble, we don’t want to miss them.”

AJ pointed at the tall mare beside her, “And that?”
Mud glanced at her.

The unicorn hesitated, “Um, Mud? Do you wanna… help?”
The kelpie frowned, “I wanna go to the park.”

Wincing at the promise made long before being called to the map, Starlight tried to smile.
“I’m sure there’s a park around here somewhere, maybe we should look there first.”

Mud only grumbled, standing again to follow.

After being with the kelpie almost six months, Starlight knew to expect this pettiness. Often times work would come up or plans had to change, and Mud hated being put secondary. She was an attentive creature, and an attention thief. She’d have her way whether Starlight’s plans would accept her, or not.

At least now she was at the park, letting the familiar grass and trees fill her vision. And lots of ponies too, more than the few houses visible along the road.

Apple Jack noticed too, “Woo-wee, looks like the whole town is out here.”
Starlight looked around, scanning faces and body movement for any signs of depression or frustration.
“This could help. If everyone is here, it’d narrow down the search.”

Mud leaped out, spun around, and crouched playfully in front of her. That big round face, huge eyes, and lolling tongue, made her next words hurt to come out.
“Sorry Mud, but we have work to do.”

Devastated, Mud sat up.

“We’ll play later, okay?”

She only nodded, “Okay.” And the kelpie slowly trudged away.

Starlight called over, “Don’t leave the park!”

Only a tail sweep as a response. Starlight sighed, but kept composure.
“Let’s solve a friendship problem.”

End of part one

Author's Note:

Mud on her first friendship quest X3