• Published 30th Sep 2012
  • 10,397 Views, 80 Comments

A Family Reunited - Yukito



Trixie and Rainbow Dash are sisters

  • ...
17
 80
 10,397

Prologue

Rainbow Dash looped around in the air, wowing her captive audience with her aerodynamic skills, before lowering down to a soft but stylish landing on the ground. The small crowd that had gathered to watch her practice cheered and stomped their hooves.

“Heheheh…Thank you! Thank you!” Rainbow Dash hovered into the air and bowed to her fans, before continuing to show off some more of her moves.


“Is this your card?” Trixie asked as she levitated a playing card from the top of her deck.

The young filly onstage giggled, and said: “Nope!”

Trixie pretended to ponder for a moment, before turning to the filly’s family and grinning at them. “Excuse me, but would you be so kind as to check your bill?”

The filly’s father raised an eyebrow, and lifted up the bill for the evening’s dinner. Trixie instructed him to read the final tally. “It’s ace of hearts…Wha!?”

The audience gasped, and then broke out into applause. Some ponies gathered around to check the slip of paper for themselves, and saw that the total price had indeed been changed to read “Ace of hearts” – the same card that the filly had drawn earlier.

Trixie bowed and returned the filly to her seat. “Thank you! Trixie hopes that you have enjoyed tonight’s show! Trixie’s final show in this town will be tomorrow night – make sure to tell your friends about the Great and Powerful Trixie!”


“Hey Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo shouted, racing up to her hero. “I just wanted to say good luck! I know you’re gonna kick flank at tomorrow’s race!”

Rainbow Dash roughed up the young filly’s mane. “Thanks, kid! I’ll make sure to secure a good spot for ya!”

“Wow, really!? That’d be totally awesome!” Scootaloo leaned closer and spoke more quietly. “So, are ya gonna try and impress a certain somepony at tomorrow’s race?” She emphasised her point by pointing a hoof at a young Pegasus stallion in the distance.

Rainbow Dash lifted into her air, and looked down at Scootaloo with a grin on her face. “Hey now, you’re too young to be thinkin’ about stuff like that! Buuuut, let’s just say I have a special trick I’ve been practising for a certain somepony.”

Scootaloo giggled and waved to her idol as she flew off. “Good luck!” she repeated, although this time she was talking about something different.


“Trixie, please make me your apprentice!” Trixie looked down at the young colt bowing before her, looking un-amused as she lifted her drink to her mouth. “I’ll do anything! Please teach me how to do magic like you!”

“Trixie does not take apprentices. And maybe you aren’t aware, but Trixie’s life is spent on the road.”

“That’s fine! I’m prepared to leave home! Please, I need to know how to-”

“Spark!”

“S-Sister!?” The colt turned around to see a young teenage mare approaching, looking cross as she neared her younger brother.

“I told you not to wander off! Now come on, mom and dad are worried sick!”

“But I-” The colt was dragged away by his sister’s magic, and was unable to do anything to free himself. He looked over at Trixie, who was watching the scene with barely any interest at all. Resigning himself to his fate, he shouted one final thing to his idol: “PLEASE COME BACK SOON!”

Trixie’s eyes widened, and she caught herself blushing when multiple eyes fell on her. She lowered her hat a bit, and continued walking down the street. ‘…Trixie will have to save an autograph for that one.


“WHAT!?” Rainbow Dash exclaimed as she sat by her mother’s hospital bed. “What d’you mean you may not make it!?”

“…If they can’t find a compatible organ donor…I may not make it…”

“What about me!? You can have my kidney, just…Don’t give up, ok!?”

“That won’t work…The hospital checked already…Your blood type isn’t compatible with mine…”

“No way…Please, just hang in there…We’ll find somepony, just don’t give up!”

Rainbow’s mother raised a hoof to wipe her daughter’s tear from her face. “Rainbow, please listen to me…I have to tell you something…Before I die…Something I always felt I’d regret if I told you, but that I know I’ll regret if I don’t tell you.”

“W-What is it?”

“…You…Have a sister…”

The room fell completely silent, and for a few minutes, only the sound of the fan above the two ponies’ heads could be heard. Finally, Rainbow Dash broke the silence. “What?”

“…Your twin sister, born just before you were…I don’t know…Where she is, or how she’s doing…Please, forgive me for not telling you…Please believe me when I say that your father and I loved you both very much…But there were…Circumstances…And we had to give one of you up…”

Rainbow’s mother pulled out a small photo from her bedside table, and showed it to her daughter. The picture was an old black-and-white photograph, with Rainbow Dash’s mother, a cheerful blue Pegasus with a rainbow coloured mane and tail, standing next to her father, a serious looking red Unicorn with a silver mane and tail. They were both smiling, and in the wife’s hooves, was Rainbow Dash, still just a newborn foal.

In the husband’s hooves, was another foal, with a horn. Rainbow’s mother explained that it was her older sister, and that, at first, they intended to raise them both together. But, due to financial troubles, which led to Rainbow Dash’s father getting into trouble with a loan shark, they couldn’t afford to raise two foals at once. And with no other living relatives to turn to for help, they had no choice but to give one of their daughters up.

Little “Will-o-Wisp” was left at the entrance to the Canterlot orphanage, when she was barely 5 months old, and by the time their financial troubles were over, their daughter was 11 years old. But when they visited the orphanage to see if she was still there, they found that their daughter had run away from the orphanage when she was 5 years old.

Her present whereabouts were completely unknown, and no matter how much they searched, they could never find their daughter anywhere.

Rainbow held her mother close as she cried into her daughter’s shoulder, begging forgiveness for her actions. Rainbow wasn’t sure what to say; part of her wanted to forgive her mother, but then, even if her mother was dying, she abandoned her daughter when she was just a baby…Is it possible to forgive something like that?

Rainbow Dash sighed, and looked at the photo once more. There was a necklace in the photo. Rainbow Dash recognised it. She had half of it in her house, but she didn’t know where the other half was.


Trixie walked into her trailer and sighed. She noticed an envelope on the floor, and lifted it up with her magic. She opened it and read it, her eyes widening as she moved through it.

Miss Lulamoon,

Thank you for your generous donation. You may be happy to know that your blood has recently saved a young colt’s life, and that that same young colt has expressed a desire to meet you, to thank you personally. If you are interested, please come by the hospital tomorrow at noon. We are sure it would make this colt very happy to see you, and you may even bring your family too.

Yours faithfully,
Doctor Stable Jr.

Trixie shifted her gaze from the letter to the necklace on her table. “Hmph…That’s the only family I know…”


Dr. Stable Jr. greeted Trixie at the hospital’s waiting room, after about 25 minutes of waiting. Her annoyance was clear on her face, but she calmed down when she remembered that she was here to visit a sick patient.

“Oh? Is your family not here?” Dr. Stable Jr. asked. “That’s a shame. I was looking forward to meeting your sister.”

“Trixie has no family,” she responded, almost mechanically. Her eyes shot wide open, though, when what the doctor had said finally worked its way through her mind. “W-What did you say?”

Dr. Stable Jr. looked just as surprised as Trixie did. “You…Don’t know? That you have a sister?”

Trixie shook her head, gaping at the doctor as if her were crazy. “Trixie…Doesn’t know a thing about her family…Just that they left her with this.” Trixie pointed to her half-necklace.

“Well…According to our DNA databanks, you have a sister, and she lives in a small town named Ponyville.” Trixie gulped, and the doctor wasn’t sure whether he should continue with such a sensitive topic. “Should I…Not say anymore?”

Trixie thought about it for a minute, before shaking her head, and finally calming down a little bit. This was it. This was what she had been searching for her entire life. Some sort of clue…Something that would help her find out who she really was. Something to help her find her parents, so that she could give them a piece of her mind. For all the birthdays they were never there for…Whenever they were. For all the times she did well in school, only to be praised by…Nopony.

Trixie opened her mouth, and in a quiet, uncertain voice, she asked: “What is her name?”