• Published 25th Sep 2012
  • 11,278 Views, 575 Comments

A Ballad of Eeyup and Nope - ambion



Big Macintosh has a day off, but he can't say his most notable two words

  • ...
18
 575
 11,278

Sweet Victory

Big Macintosh descended step by step into the gloom. Then, to his surpise, it became light. The same little lanterns that filled the library were strung out here, and the clear handiwork of Spike’s domestic prowess was proudly on display for those few who ever came to the library’s basement. Of dust and cobwebs there was no trace, and even the air tasted fresh and clean as outside, despite being underground.

The stallion paused when he realized that one of the lights was not a lantern at all. Rather, it was a ruby and golden little bird, glowing like a candle, its head following him with a smooth, singular movement. Its eyes drooped in comfortable sleepiness. It cooed to Big Mac with a soft, friendly little chirrup.

Macintosh Apple reached up, stroked its chin and found that the phoenix chick was warm to the touch, and very soft. It murmurred happily and rubbed its head against him. The luminescent little creature was, by all estimates, very content with this. “Can’t be all bad,” the pony mused. He let the chick be, seeing that it fell promptly asleep once he had left it.

“Hello?” he hazarded. “Miss Twilight?” He had been listening for some kind of response, but while none was forthcoming, it did lead him to notice that there was a certain humming noise, some kind of machinery at work, droning away in the background.

That, he supposed, would be the contraption the mares had warned him of.

The underbelly of the library was nothing like the Apples’ cellar, Big Mac noted. The one was preternaturally dark, tucked away and compact, the very epitome of storage. This was open and spacious. There was more than enough room for strange quirks and stranger ideas to trickle down from all the untold millions of words shelved above.

The centre of the floor was dominated by...well...the Apple could finally understand the mares’ difficulty describing the Relationship Plotter. It made the alarming contraption that was the Flim-Flam brother’s locomotive factory look tame and simple by comparison. Snarls of wiring, blue and green and red and yellow chased one another every which way. Here a piston drove up and down and there interlocking gears - at least one as big as a tractor wheel, some small as a bit - turned every which way left and right and left and right and left and right until Big Mac got vertigo just from staring.

He’d seen an alarm clock once in a shop, one of the vintage windup kind that chattered little tin bells with a hammer when it was time to wake up. For curiosities’ sake he’d wound the mechanism and let it do its thing, but the shoddy old piece had shuddered and blown itself apart; springs and cogs and pins flying everywhich way, the bell ringing a doleful last chime. Embarrassed, he’d rushed to pay the angry shopkeeper and had promptly left.

This was like that, all that catastrophic breakdown just waiting to happen, but so much bigger. A lot bigger. And no clock the stallion had ever seen nor heard of had coloured tubes like that, meshed together by a series of little levies and valves and tanks through which water - at least, he hoped it was water - bubbled and surged, shooting up and down by means and for purposes unknown.

He peered closer and saw that each slim tube that slotted in and out of the main network had a marking on it. Big Mac squinted and saw, disconcertingly enough, that these were the faces of all the Ponyvillians, one resident to each. There were even markings, like a thermometer would have, along each pony’s representive piece.

There was a metal sigh and a piston wheeze, and the clockwork matchmaker slotted two apparantly random options into place. Valves opened and shut as the various pathways for the liquid to take rerouted itself, this time allowing only a modest sum of liquid that gurgled up into each tube.

Whichever two ponies these were, the machine seemed to decide that they were not all that into one another. The Relationship Plotter huffed out a gout of steam, sucked the fluids back down into the main resevoir, reset to default and rotated the two tubes back in amongst the rest.

Big Mac did not wait for the next unfortunate hypothetical couple to be scrutinzed mechanically, and gave the machine a wide berth as he stepped around it.

He found Twilight sprawled across a work table, papers strewn every which way under her. Worry gnawed the back of Big Mac’s neck and the tips of his hooves. She looked to have collapsed from utter exahustion. Her inkwell had tipped over, spilling its precious blackness across the manic lines of several graphs. Notes circled prominently in red were drowning like islands being reclaimed by an inky sea.

“Twilight?” he whispered, afraid to wake her, afraid to leave her. The mare muttered in her sleep, her head rolling over her legs in the futility of ekeing out some comfort from the awkward position. “Twilight Sparkle?” he tried again, ever so gently setting his hoof to her shoulder.

The mare propped herself up. Her head struggled to lift itself on a wibbly-wobbly neck. Bloodshot eyes peered out from the gummy curtains that were their eyelids. “Big Mah...Big Macintosh!” Twilight thumped herself with sudden shock as she bolted upright, sending herself and her chair hurtling over backwards. She scrabbled to her hooves. She clutched desperately at the sheets nearest her, hugging them protectively to her chest, pointing the hoof of bewildered accusation. “What are you doing down here?”

The stallion didn’t want to panic, and was uncomfortably aware that the horn she waved about would work weird and wonky magic at a whim, if she so willed it. “I just wanted to talk to you,” he said in the most soothing voice he could. He stepped closer to the little unicorn. “Are you feeling alright?”

“What?” She dropped the papers, letting them fall however they may to the floor and rubbed at her eyes. She shook her head as if to clear a haze from herself. “Yeah. No. I’m not sure. Why is it you?”

“Like I said, I came by to talk with you.” Not often did Big Macintosh feel the prickling urge to justify himself, but he felt it now. “It just felt like we had something to discuss.”

Twilight glanced dizzily upwards. The stallion followed her gaze; it was a clock. “So you came here, now? At ten minutes to midnight?” she said with more of her usual sarcastic candour.

Big Mac nearly bit through his lip, so desperate and eager and willing was ‘Eeyup’ to answer for him, to fill in this little piece of time and place in the universe so perfectly. He wanted to cry - so close to midnight! - but he found his resolve and carried the word, still burning and aching, in his chest. Big Mac nodded resolutely. “It’s important,” he said, but it just wasn’t the same, and he knew it.

Twilight circled around him, eyeing Big Mac from the sides. One side of the Plotter was all levers and it was one of these the mare pulled down, struggling with her full weight to move the stubborn iron. Macintosh Apple, minding to not touch her in any way, put his hoof to it; the lever dropped into place with a thump that shook little Twilight. Somewhere within the Plotter, new gears clanked and groaned into motion.

“Why’d you make this?”

She peered back at him. “Why wouldn’t I make it? You know how much we could learn? The whole process of relationships could be made so much simpler...” she mused on a whisper.

“It could be a lot of ruckus for a lot ponies, is what it is.” Big Mac chewed his lip. He looked up: PeeWee slept and glowed with not a care in the world. The stairs he perched over could lead the stallion up and out from this mess. Rarity had spent all day reasoning with Twilight, what hope did he have? He glanced to the clock - five minutes to midnight. He whistled in a deep, sharp breath, but she cut across his attempt to speak.

“It works. Every part works!” she insisted, stamping her little hoof on the floorboards. “It should work,” she sighed, and slumped to the floor, loose strands of her mane poking into the cracks.

“What do you mean?”

“I had it test the Cakes,” she said, not looking up as she spoke, instead switching dials and pulling levers. “I never let the machine know they were married with foals. It figured that out anyway. Just like it's supposed to. See?”

She stepped back. The Plotter clanked and whirred. Carrot’s and Cup’s little faces came front and centre, the tubing between them filling up quite full. A brown bauble floated up between them. “That’s supposed to be a single earth pony foal,” said Twilight. “That’s what it predicts.”

“But they have-”

“I know. It doesn’t matter.” She rubbed her eyes vigoursly, as if to push the red threads right out of them. “I mean, of course it matters, just not here. Not in this. It figured out their relationship perfectly. All the other test runs too.” The big lever clunked down again and the little faces went on their way. Big Mac was happy to see them go, they gave him the heeby-jeebies.

More gears turned, new tubes slid in and out of place as tanks gurgled. “I set it to start predicting relationships once it’d proved that it could. It should have worked,” she said, giving the metal a half-hearted whack, then headbutted the machine in her frustration.

Big Mac wanted to talk about this morning. He wanted to settle that issue, not get dragged into this one. The black feeling that they were one and the same snuck over him anyway. “What went wrong?”

“You did!” she cried out, wisps of smoke and tiny tongues of flame leaping out from her hair as her legs shot out in all directions. “You didn’t fit in neatly anywhere. The machine couldn’t comprehend you. The only way to keep the other shippings in the algorithm stable was to pair Big Macintosh with Caramel. The fact that Big Macintosh is not with Caramel is unbalancing the whole program!” Twilight huffed and stomped along to the far side of the Plotter.

Big Macintosh blinked, and didn’t say nothin’ for a long moment. “You’re mad at me because I don’t fit your numbers?” He thought he should expect to feel confused. Truth be told though, he felt angry. “You’re mad, at me, because I don’t fit your numbers?” he repeated, iterating each word more forcefully. Something strong was stirring in his chest, something he couldn’t hope to stop.

Big Macintosh breathed deep. Tried to quell the rising tide. He couldn’t. He glanced at the clock. A minute. One little minute. Sweat beaded on his brow. “That’s not on,” he said, measuring each word carefully. Anger filled him right up, the feeling being so rare for him that alarm filled him right up, too.

“What do you know?” The unicorn growled back. “You didn't even notice that...” her voice trailed away in vicious little mutterances.

“It doesn’t work that way, Miss Twilight. Can’t just turn ponies into numbers than multiply ‘em together to make it all work out neat.” The little hand and big hand clicked together like the key opening the lock to freedom.

Midnight.

“Nope,” he whispered. Nope filled him, flowed through him. The essence and idea of Nope made him stand up taller, stick out his chest further. “Nope,” he said again, pointing at the evil machine. All his feeling and sentiment, sharpened down to a single spearhead, was flung at the Plotter.

“Nope! Nope nope nope! NOPE!” he shouted, almost expecting the Plotter to crumble and be blown away by the word.

By the smouldering hot flanks of Celestia, it felt good to reconnect with his true self again. “Eeyup,” he whispered under his breath. “Ain’t nopony’s business but their own, who goes with who.”

Twilight, rather frayed and stunned by the whole display, blinked. The seconds ticked along into the first minute past midnight; a new day. “Who goes with whom,” she said, but the combative tones from before were dispelled. She sighed and sat down, lost amidst the scattered notes and charts. “This was a terrible idea,” she mumbled. “I’m sorry.”

Big Mac huffed a breath of relief. That had sorta been his trump card, a stern talking-to, just like his Granny used to do when he was little and being bold. ‘Nope’ was pretty magnificent, when he got right down to it.

“And you won your bet,” she mused quietly, gesturing half-heartedly at the clock. The frantic mare was gone, replaced by one entirely more rational and sensible...and far more tired, it seemed. Too tired to be excitable.

Just as the stallion tried to contemplate what it meant to be victorious, Pinkie and Rarity came down, crashing and fumbling against one another on the stairs into the basement. Poor PeeWee was given such a fright, and a particularily eager leap from Pinkie Pie made both mares tumble. Rarity for her part hardly seemed to notice and rolled neatly to her hooves, whereas Pinkie found herself embedded in a heap of assorted tools and tomes that crumbled and fell atop her in a ruckus of noise.

“Whatever was all that shouting about?” Rarity asked, deigning not to notice Pinkie’s struggle to extricate herself, only raising her voice ever so slightly to deal with Pinkie’s muffled struggling. “Twilight, dear, you look dreadful!” The unicorn ran over to Twilight Sparkle, insisting that she help her to stand, as if ‘looking dreadful’ was a debiliating injury and required immediate medical assistance.

“You were right,” Twilight said. She was so shakey, it might as well have been an injury she’d endured. “About everything. I should dismantle the whole thing. It’s too much trouble. The Plotter would just upset everypony.”

Rarity ran her hoof through Twilight’s tattered mane. “It’s always a pleasure to see you come back to your senses. Though if I’d a bit of shouting was all it was going to take, I would have indulged myself this morning and saved us all this mess.” Twilight gave her a look, which Rarity laughed away nervously. “Nevermind that,” she said. “I am equally glad to see you’ve turned out well, Big Macintosh.”

The way she spoke, it always gave him the urge to bow and be as gentlecoltly as he could. To meet her high prose with something of his own. “Eeyup,” he said, feeling very satisfied with himself.

Rarity ran her hooves over Twilight, a purple pillow to be fluffed back into a suitably soft and presentable shape. “With a grin like that, I assume you’ve beaten Applejack in your little game as well? Pinkie was utterly distressed as we watched the seconds count down. I had faith in you, of course, but there was no consoling her.” Rarity giggled at her friend’s silly and misplaced doubt. “Can you hear me in there, Pinkie? All turned out well!” There was a certain smugness to be heard in Rarity’s voice as well, one that Big Macintosh found rather agreeable.

Pinkie Pie exploded from the debris as only Pinkie Pie could. Bits and bobs rained down around them as the mare heaved in a great big breath. “I changed all the clocks in Ponyville to be five minutes fast!” She rattled off, panting, heaving, eyes wild.

The meaning of the words struck Big Mac hardest. “You did what?

“Adjusted all the clocks! Tik’d their toks! It’s not midnight yet!”

“Pinkie!” Rarity hissed. “How could you? What were you thinking?!”

She looked frantic, like she might cry, Big Macintosh thought. Just this moment, he nearly wanted her to. “I don’t know,” she said. “It was a feeling. A super feeling.” Pinkie stared him in the eye, there was that same lambent blue, full of unexpressible wit, now tinged with worry and guilt. “I had to do it,” she said as her gaze broke away. “It felt like the right thing to do.”

The stallion said nothing. Another lesson from his Granny; to say nothing at all if he could say nothing nice. He’d been so close, only to be cheated out of his rightful, hard earned win? Big Mac had a whole lot of nothing nice to say right about now.

Twilight waded through the mess over to her friend, perplexed, but with none of the fuming sentiments that both he and Rarity shared in. “Sabotaging Big Macintosh’s bet with Applejack felt like the right thing to do?” she asked.

“Yes,” Pinkie confessed, almost defiantly.

“That,” Twilight said slowly, “Makes absolutly no sense to me.” She didn’t say it like an accusation. Rather just that Pinkie was an amazing natural phenomenon that brookered further study. The unicorn closed her eyes. Her horn lit up and from that purple glow a ghostly clock floated into being, a purple circle with purple lines shining in the air. She looked between it and the mundane one pinned to the wall. They all did. “It’s not made up, either.”

“Geez, Twilight,” Pinkie mumbled, walking through the etheral projection, dispersing it. “A girl spends the whole day getting to every single clock and watch in Ponyville and changing them all, she should hope it’s not just made up. That took a lot of work, you know.” Pinkie turned to Big Macintosh with what he realized were puppy eyes. Big blue puppy eyes, ones that pierced right into him and proffered up a gift-wrapped apology. He wasn't ready to accept anything of the sort just now.

“I’m sorry,” she said softly. “Big Macintosh Apple...you lose.”

He looked to each mare in turn, and they to him. Big Mac felt tired, tired as Twilight looked, like all the extra hours he’d stayed up tonight had attacked him, all at once. He sighed.

“Alright then. I’m going home now. Goodbye.”

He turned to leave and nopony tried to stop him. Rarity looked like she wanted to, but the words wouldn’t come to her, as if she too had been on a silly bet and the right ones, the ones that could explain and justify any of this were forbidden to her. He passed by PeeWee, not stopping to give the dozing chick a tickle under the chin. He stepped out into the dark of the night, fumbling about the road until his eyes adjusted to the emptiness of it.

It was a long walk home. He didn’t wake anypony up when he got there; the truth would be just the same in the morning, and that would come soon enough anyway. Big Macintosh did not sleep comfortably. He kept asking himself why, right on into his fitful dreams.



'...Don’t be too mad with me,

okay?...'

Author's Note:

NOT THE FINAL CHAPTER
seriously, I don't know why people keep believing that. Sheesh.
Aiming for final chapter publishing by the end of September. This weekend even. We'll see.